• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I start a Smash club at my college? (TOing)

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
It’s that time of year again. Students are back in school, and many will be looking for a local Smash community to pass the time or make new friends.

Colleges are a great environment for Smash communities. The audience is there: the majority of active Smashers are in the 18-24 age range, which just so happens to be the most common age range for undergraduate and graduate students at colleges. The setting is there: most colleges have a structure in place for students to join or manage clubs to fulfill their hobbies. So maybe the last thing missing from your path to college Smash utopia is an official student organization on campus.

The Super Smash Brothers Club profile page at the University of Michigan

Vision

The idea of an official club or student organization varies from college to college, but I’ll walk you through examples based on the policies and guidelines at the University of Michigan, where I was a student from 2009-2013. I've been fortunate to be in a situation where my school has a huge student organization base, an easy platform to advertise and manage events, and a refined room reservation process on campus. But I understand that not everyone is in the same situation, and I'll do my best to relate to all possible scenarios in which a school allows you to form a Smash club.

Something to think about before you dive into this is what to do if you find an existing student organization that is very similar to your prospective Smash club. In this case, you need to make a decision to either go ahead and create a new club or to join the existing one. I highly recommend creating a new one, because you’ll have the authority as the founder to have full creative control over the direction of the organization. Let's get started.

Example from the University of Michigan: the Super Smash Brothers Club among other "sports and recreation" clubs

Registration

The first thing you have to do is go through the registration process to gain official recognition within the university’s student organization branch. This is usually required each year because the school doesn’t want a bunch of inactive clubs remaining in the directory. At UM, the student organization recognition process for an academic year begins on April 15, before the end of the winter semester, and expires on September 30, just after the beginning of the fall semester. This should give you a sense of urgency to take care of the student organization registration process as soon as possible; clubs that fail to re-register get their accounts temporarily frozen until recognition status has been renewed for the academic year. The recognition process varies from school to school, and could be online or in-person. Find out what your school’s process is and go through it.

Example from the University of Michigan: how to register a student organization

Requirements

While registering your student organization, you'll come across various starting requirements. These may or may not include:

* Complete name of your organization. This is the official name that gets displayed on your school’s student org website or directory. Go with something simple like “Super Smash Brothers Club” for now. Don’t limit yourself to a single game. You’ll have more power and flexibility by encompassing all Smash games from the beginning.

* Organization profile image or photo. If you have Photoshop skills, now is the time to use them. If not, just grab an image of a GameCube controller or Smash logo from the internet and slap it on -- these are the two images that will most likely attract casual Smashers if they see them.

* An updated roster for your organization that includes at least X currently enrolled students. X varies from school to school. At UM, I needed just 10 currently enrolled students. Ask your friends, colleagues, peers, whoever. It’s a non-committal action by them at this point; remember that you will have the opportunity to add or remove members later, so just get this done asap so you can move along.

* Constitution for the organization. As useless as this sounds intuitively, a lot of schools require governing paperwork that shows some semblance of structure for your student org. See the below example constitution from UM Smash. Copy and paste it to your organization, then modify the wording for your own needs in case your school requires something like this.

Example constitution from the Super Smash Brothers Club at the University of Michigan

Gambling or gaming policies

Some schools are strict on the type of events you can host as a student organization. A particularly common example is the restriction on hosting “gambling or gaming events that distribute revenue” or some policy along those lines. There are a few different ways you can deal with this:

1) Inform your school that your event revolves around a skill-based game, and is not a gambling or gaming event in the traditional definition. Your school probably has a specific vision of what type of event they don’t want to be associated with by the general public, and as long as you demonstrate that a Smash tournament doesn’t fall in that category, you’ll be okay. Coming to an agreement might require some politics, but it can and has been done before.

2) Ignore the policy and host events that deal with money anyway. This is probably not the best option, but if your school is mostly hands-off with their monitoring of your events, you could potentially be able to pull this off. It's a risky play, and you need to seriously weigh the scenarios that could result from disobeying student organization policy. Not recommended to any TO whose school plays even a moderately visible role helping your event on the day of.

3) Host events and deal with money under the table. This requires some sort of online paid pre-registration system, or at least a process in which you don’t need to collect registration payments at-the-door. If you aren’t making visible transactions on the day of the event, nobody will notice, including the school. It’s possible the school wouldn’t care even if they did know about your dealings under the table; a "don’t ask don’t tell" kind of thing. Not recommended to any TO who has yet to gain the trust of attendees to the point of being able to do online paid pre-registration.

Example from the University of Michigan: gaming events policy (in case you're wondering, UM rightfully considers Smash a game of skill!)

Room reservations on campus

This is where the fun begins! As an official student organization, you'll likely receive access to a wide variety of room reservation options on campus. Although it varies from school to school, you'll most likely be able to reserve small rooms (500-1500 square feet) for free, and the larger rooms (1500+ square feet) for perhaps a discounted rate compared to the general public.

There are so many different schools and campus compositions that it's a bit unproductive to outline how to reserve rooms in a general sense. Just go to your student organization services branch and find out how things are done at your school. There will almost definitely be a few forms to read through, some code of conduct guidelines to abide by, and a defined process for inquiring about and reserving rooms. If you're looking into venues that cost money, you'll most likely have to deposit funds into your student organization account before you can proceed.

The best way to get started in this area is to just dive into the process and figure out how your school handles its room reservation process. Once you get the hang of it, you'll have the TOing freedom to access venues and the student organization platform to properly promote your events. It's worth it!

Example from the University of Michigan: how to reserve rooms as a student organization

This should help you get started with your Smash club on campus. Good luck!

--

Juggleguy is a national tournament organizer, Melee It On Me team member, and Smashboards contributor. You can follow him on Twitter: @JuggleRob

Last edited:

PeanutProphet

Smash Cadet
When i was in high school, we had an unofficial smash bros club. One kid just brought his wii and we played brawl the whole period. The teacher was ok with it so we didn't get in trouble. It was more for fun than for glory, but i was great with ganondorf.

Last edited:

Dillon Grandy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3969-6408-4270
I ended up starting a smash club at my college with a friend of mine, and we were able to get about 30 people out and such to play friendlies, and hosted some tournys. It wasn't to hard to create the club, the college I went to was pretty open about people starting new clubs on campus.

JbrockPony

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JbrockPony
Wow, this is very helpful. Currently in the process of starting up an official club @ Columbia College Chicago. I shall consult this guide like the bible lol.

Cancel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Diaz30
This is super good, hope when i go back to school there is some of this around.'

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
I should join the Michigan Smash Club... I kinda assumed there was something like it, but it's nice to have confirmation and a name to follow up on.

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
dude where were you 2 weeks ago when i submitted my own school club constitution? i had such a hard time and yours is really good lmao

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I wish I could, but my tech school wouldn't let me cause there is a club for video games so I couldn't overlap.

Sadface.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I'll have to keep this in mind, there are a lot of Smashers at Oakland University (which is near UofM). Could even do University vs. University. lol

Too bad it's my senior year and I don't have the time.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I've hosted a few for Melee back in my college days. Biggest stumbling block I would run into was monetary. Definitely helps to have a plan in place for that ahead of time.

Leo Paris

Smash Rookie
Im running a club for gamers at my High School, and was thinking, what are the best campuses for this kind of stuff? Not that I'm going to choose a college from this, but it crossed my mind.

WaveDashCash

Smash Apprentice
I wish I could get something like this going at the University of Akron, where I study... There are guys who like Magic: The Gathering, but that's all I think they're interested in. Any excuse to play more Smash is good with me!

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
due to the fact that the student lounge is always buzzing with smash bros (at least when i started back in 2011-2012 it was buzzing with hype and activity... then everyone just dispersed into doing heavy school work and could not be bothered to play anymore), a smash bros club just isn't needed where i'm at. when smash releases, everyone will be playing it in the lounge anyway, this i guarantee.
many schools work differently, and mine is the art institute so differences in facilities is obviously there.

i'm really looking forward to beating the hell out of the newcomers... there has to be a diamond in those roughs... i need a challenge, everyone sucks where i'm at (compared to me, that is)

proxibomb

Smash Clown
My high school allows custom clubs, they can even supply CRT TV's, which means smash Bris Club is perfect. I just need to supply the consoles, games, and controllers, but that shouldn't be hard considering lots of people I know don't mind sharing some consoles.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Now I know why Struggleguy hates wobbling and player cams--HE'S A FREE MASON! :eek: :b: :awesome:

Last edited:

Michael4thewin

Smash Rookie
Would be awesome to start a smash club at my school, sadly i dont think most would join :p. Hopefully during college I can be able to join and host smash tourneys.

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
What are the best options if you're out of school? I've thought about finding a library willing to rent out one of their quiet rooms, but usually they're only willing to do that for an hour or so. Not much in the way of internet cafes these days... best option I can think of is a comic book store that's large enough to host games, but they would usually rather use that room for tabletop gaming.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
I'd kill for a scene like this in Mexico.
Yeah, me too. Mexico is deserted of a scene and few like to play competitive. Also, 98% of the people think Melee is outdated and sucks, 99% don't know what is a Project M, and that kills. This place is a nightmare. Plus, my school sucks and the people there are conservative jerks.

What are the best options if you're out of school? I've thought about finding a library willing to rent out one of their quiet rooms, but usually they're only willing to do that for an hour or so. Not much in the way of internet cafes these days... best option I can think of is a comic book store that's large enough to host games, but they would usually rather use that room for tabletop gaming.
Funny, where I live there is a place like that where everybody goes to play children card games. Al least a scene like that exists. But they nerfed my deck so I quit.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Yeah, me too. Mexico is deserted of a scene and few like to play competitive. Also, 98% of the people think Melee is outdated and sucks, 99% don't know what is a Project M, and that kills. This place is a nightmare. Plus, my school sucks and the people there are conservative jerks.
The friends I have that actually care are casuals like me and share those same traits.

Not that that's a bad thing.

i feel you bro, my school is a nightmare ;_;

caLviN-1260

Smash Apprentice
NNID
caLviN-1260
Majority of active smashers are 18-24?

Interesting. Is that confirmed? Like factually?
I would assume just based on personal experience. I'm 17 and I'm definitely one of the youngest in the Washington scene. Almost everyone that plays is college aged.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Wow, this is very helpful. Currently in the process of starting up an official club @ Columbia College Chicago. I shall consult this guide like the bible lol.
Is that one of Columbia College of Missouri's nationwide campuses?

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Funny, where I live there is a place like that where everybody goes to play children card games. Al least a scene like that exists. But they nerfed my deck so I quit.
I once knew a comic store that had attempted Smash, but it was killed in about a month. The card/tabletop gamers complained they were getting distracted by the noise, which is fair - they came to the store to get away from their video games, after all.

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
Georgia Southern has a Smash Club (for those that may or may not see this), though we are mostly a Project M/Melee based club xD

ZRoy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4868-5857
My university has a great Smash scene. Even has its own facebook page. We're planning on making our first tournament next month.

RADSheikah

Smash Apprentice
Rule 1 about a Smash Club: You DON'T talk about the Smash Club!
Rule 2 about a Smash Club: YOU DON'T TALK ABOUT THE SMASH CLUB!

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I don't have any plans to start a Super Smash Brothers Club @ my school (Bunker Hill Community College) ATM, but there's a big enough player base at school who would help gauge the registration cost.

Unfortunately, BHCC has some weird policy where student organizations must have some sort of "academic value", which makes getting a gaming concept like this harder to make convincing to the director. I'm sure it's doable though. Any suggested ways around this policy?

Last edited:
Top Bottom