• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Aw ****, new 3DS models. Perfect timing, my XL is having some problems...

Also nice to see Xenoblade 3DS.

And Shulk and stuff...

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Last edited:

Xyro77

Auto cancel is a tech for a more
Casual smash game. Since smash 4 is closer to brawl, I find it hard to believe they would take that out and actually expect us to get good and actually LEARN to L-cancel.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
You can learn to L-Cancel and still be crap. 90% of the Melee scene is proof of that. :applejack:

To add to that link Xyro, the guy isn't talking about auto-cancelling. He's talking about cancelling the landing lag from an aerial move by inputting things like a dash, attack, tilt, etc at the appropriate time. Much different from an auto-cancel.

It sounds more like a simplified, intuitive l-cancel, if anything. :applejack:

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Either way, I played Yoshi in all the smash games. SO along with not being completely used to OoS options, I also wasn't used to L-cancelling which is why I never shielded n such for other characters I used in Brawl or even with Yoshi in Smash 4.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
You can learn to L-Cancel and still be crap. 90% of the Melee scene is proof of that. :applejack:

To add to that link Xyro, the guy isn't talking about auto-cancelling. He's talking about cancelling the landing lag from an aerial move by inputting things like a dash, attack, tilt, etc at the appropriate time. Much different from an auto-cancel.

It sounds more like a simplified, intuitive l-cancel, if anything. :applejack:
Wow, was that what he actually was trying to say? thought he was going from talking about how aerials can be auto cancelled with the right timing on landing (lol, that's exactly what auto cancelling is) then randomly started talking about the whole pivot action option.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Yeah, I should have added more on my post but Espy got it.
Also today's pic of the day is pretty good - deconfirms a lot of speculation on certain characters due to "not being unlocked" from the leak. The chronological idea/it being available from the start is cool, love the healing zone.

Xyro77

A game with L-cancel requires more skill than a game without it. Anything extra you must know/do after every move requires more dexterity.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
A game with L-cancel requires more skill than a game without it. Anything extra you must know/do after every move requires more dexterity.
Hitting one more button requires as much cognitive awareness as taking a ****. It's a simple, brainless mechanic. :applejack:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I'm just curious if the game has momentum.

And don't take early metagame too seriously. Brawl should have taught that to everyone.

Xyro77

Pressing more buttons faster and with more accuracy most def requires more dexterity. This can't be argued.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
It's okay to admit you're garbage. :applejack:
No shame in that.

By the way, whiskey is pretty damn tasty.

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
We do. I'm just sad that you're such a scrub.
I'm also drunk off my ass right now. :applejack:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
You're both kinda right.
It's a pretty meager thing. There really is only some variation of the timing based on when you hit someone's shield, but really, a small one and the window is large enough IIRC (6 frames?).
But an extra button press definitely requires more dexterity.

For most/everyone, it's pretty easy and seamless; I feel that it becomes concerning only when you're a character who somehow is landing multiple times per second, which as we know lest we get a new shine won't happen. But when it does come to shining, the fact L cancelling is a requisite does end up increasing the requirements for it in a way that if non-existent would be significantly noticeable .
Chilltimes.

Oh yeah, Illmatic's like makes me remember Peach exists, lol.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I at least intend to. If he really falls short anything else that promotes a similar playstyle of zoning > reaction > reads that I like.

Interested in Robin though, and will attempt a mentality of trying/learning a lot of characters early on.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
There are going to be so many Robins and Shulks early on.

It's going to be gross.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Lmao it's fake. The full roster has already been shown. The only chars we don't know about is DLC stuff. Assuming we get DLC chars.

Shaya, don't leave Marth. Cause I'm interested in miss marth. We could do dittos!

Top Bottom