• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
At this point, it is safe to assume gliding is out. The way it was implemented in Brawl and balancing it is difficult. Plus it was never needed in the first place anyways and doesn't fit with a fighting/brawler game.

And I am specifically referring to people who switched to MK solely for the purpose of winning. They didn't care if MK was their actual favorite character, just he was broken. Or maybe they liked him BECAUSE he was broken. But no one will ever admit this.

iamjoel5

Smash Rookie
Hello gents,

My name is Joel and I play brawl competitively. I am not new to smashboards but I am new to the Houston smash thread/scene. I won't be making the top 10 lists anywhere but I bring good competition. I have recently moved back to Houston and have scrounged up enough free time to be able to get back into the ssb scene (especially with 4 coming up!).

Are there any groups holding smash fests on a regular basis? I would like to meet people and become a part of any regular group plays (although I work offshore so my attendance would be sporadic).

My number is 281-468-2587 so feel free to text me.

Last edited:

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
Try getting ahold of sync, as far as I know, the people living there are the only ones that touch brawl anymore.

Also

six more years!

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Yeah Joel, I host tournaments here in Houston and Sync does smash fests. Are you free next weekend? We could meet up over there are smash.

Zano, I will not allow another 6 years.

iamjoel5

Smash Rookie
Try getting ahold of sync, as far as I know, the people living there are the only ones that touch brawl anymore.
Zano, thanks for the tip. I realize that the current smash trend is melee and project M, but I didn't realize it has practically replaced brawl. I was introduced into smash bros around the time of the brawl release so my melee skills are laughable and considering the number of hours I have dedicated to brawl, I don't think I could reach a competitive level with melee any time soon :)

Yeah Joel, I host tournaments here in Houston and Sync does smash fests. Are you free next weekend? We could meet up over there are smash.
Xyro, thanks for reaching out and offering! My weekends are almost always occupied, such as this weekend :-/ My week day evenings are almost always free though.
On what day of the week does sync typically hold one? Are you only free during the weekends?

Last edited:

The Real Marzbar

Smash Rookie
Delta H Con has a fb page i would link, but it's easy enough to find, and on their website under console gaming you can see the different tournaments they are hosting.

Delta H is a pretty small con though, so I would expect most of the entrants to be people who play casual brawl.

ZeroRebellion10

Smash Rookie
NNID
ZeroRebellion10
3DS FC
0173-1592-7286
The specifics are that there is one today and two tomorrow.

Today's tournament starts at 6 pm, $5 per entry.

Tomorrow's tournaments start at 12 pm and 6pm respectively, with he entry fee being $10 this time.

I'd link it, but apparently I need to post more in order to do so. -_-"

Xyro77

I'm working so I can't attend either. It's sad that I've never heard of these dudes and they have been in Houston for a while.

I'll contact them later on and see if I can work with them in the future.

iamjoel5

Smash Rookie
To add to Zero's info, here is the brawl tourney info for Delta H Con:

1v1 double elimination. Cash prize 1st through 3rd based on tournament entrance.
Fri - 6pm - $5 entry
Sat - 12pm AND 6pm - $10 entry

It's at the J. W. Marriott:
5150 Westheimer Rd, 77056

Last edited:

iamjoel5

Smash Rookie
I got that info directly from the site under "event search" > "Nintendo events". I won't be able to make it Sat but I will try to make it tonight.

And I guess I must've messed up on the money entries then if what you posted is correct, joe.
Edit: Zero, you did not mess up the entry fee, I did; I read the schedule wrong. I have updated the schedule above.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Tournaments in general are BYOC.

It's always a good idea to bring your own.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Just always assume BYOC. Most tournaments run by the community will NOT provide a controller for you.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
I might go to that tomorrow and Sunday.
Joel, when you get back can you fill me in on how many entrants there were payout to top three?

Sync's place is usually open during the weekdays - you just gotta get in contact w/ him and notify him beforehand. I can message him on facebook if you want, although I doubt many people would be willingly open to play Brawl too often. Just depends on if they know you're coming or not I guess, there's plenty of people there who "play".

edit: nvm probably not gonna go venue is $35

Last edited:

z00ted

lmfao pay for my entry and i'll show you how "scared" i am

iamjoel5

Smash Rookie
Joel, when you get back can you fill me in on how many entrants there were payout to top three?

edit: nvm probably not gonna go venue is $35
Illmatic, It is not required to pay the convention fee ($35) in order to participate in the tournament, I only needed to pay the tournament entry fee ($5 yesterday, $10 today).
There were about 12 players in the tournament and 1st place won $30. Considering today's tournament is $10 entry fee and they are expecting more people, the payout should be significantly better. The competition was good and there were also several casual players. It is worth mentioning that you were not allowed to use the same character twice during your best of 3 rounds against an opponent.

Edit: there is no tournament Sunday, there are 2 today.

Last edited:

iamjoel5

Smash Rookie
If you go to the tournament today, please refer people to this thread. Several of the guys I spoke with were not familiar with smashboards. I sent several of them links to here so we can have a central place to network with each other.

Xyro77

You can give them my number if you want. I run all the events in Houston.

Allan Sims

z00ted

lol thanks for the info but it's a bit too late now
glad you had fun and there's potential new players, though

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
They don't want to experience the full glory of our hero, MK.

Last edited:

Xyro77

I've dealt with worse rules but yeah it's a good rule to stop MK

Last edited:

The Real Marzbar

Smash Rookie
@ Xyro77 Xyro77 Delta H Con is every year as is Anime Matsuri at the George R Brown which I think is the 2nd largest anime convention in Texas. I 'm almost positive they hosted smash tournaments there but you could always contact them to host there. Next year it'll be on April 3-5.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
How do you guys want to be moderated around here? I'm not exactly pitching a tent here for that purpose, as long as you aren't breaking content rules and you don't seem to care about thread quality being the dumps then I don't really care~

(I wanted to raise an eyebrow at the multi double posts but like cbf)

iamjoel5

Smash Rookie
How do you guys want to be moderated around here? I'm not exactly pitching a tent here for that purpose, as long as you aren't breaking content rules and you don't seem to care about thread quality being the dumps then I don't really care~

(I wanted to raise an eyebrow at the multi double posts but like cbf)
I don't understand the question. Could you clarify?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Had some good games in MH3U yesterday, Xyro.

Shoutouts to S.Uragaan for carting you.

Was that GS user someone you know? Because he was being silly during Nibblesnarf, he knocked me down while I was fishing him out twice...the lack of Lvl 3 charge attacks made me sad too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom