• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

Gea

Smash Master
I will say this much. The tournaments for Brawl ran way, way too long. Yes, Brawl is a slow game, but there were lots of issues besides games going to time that contributed to this. You need to buckle down and start being a hardass about certain things.

But you know, what do I know?

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Yeah I learned the hard way from whobo 6. Over the years, I became soft on that.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
I will say this much. The tournaments for Brawl ran way, way too long. Yes, Brawl is a slow game, but there were lots of issues besides games going to time that contributed to this. You need to buckle down and start being a hardass about certain things.

But you know, what do I know?

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Yes, is it possible to streamline your tourneys to actually FINISH at 8 pm, 9 pm the latest?

And I say stick with 8 until we figure out the general pace of the game. For all we know, it could just lead to more timeouts.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
just tell everyone they aren't allowed to play like zero and hungrybox at the invitational or you'll kick them in the face

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Prepare for disappointment for some characters.

Xyro77

Prepare for disappointment for some characters.
Yeah, not all chars are returning. That was said since day one. But WHO isn't coming back?

I'd like wolf/PT/MK to stay home. F those guys.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Wolf not returning would be possible, but he is a major Star Fox character and pretty popular.

PT is pretty much gone. They don't want character that can change, and Charizard is on his own. Such a shame, it is an interesting mechanic for a fighting game...

MK getting cut would be surprising. He is a major Kirby character, and you know Sakurai gives special treatment to the franchise. Plus he has a lot of fans. I honestly believe he hasn't been confirmed yet because they had trouble fixing his movepool. Besides removing both glides, how do you fix his specials, especially Shuttle Loop? I would not be surprised if he had some different special attacks. I bet he was the last returning character to be finished because of how difficult it was to balance (nerf) him.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Tornado, don't give it as much priority.

Don't let his shuttle loop have invincibility.

Add 3 frames of lag on every move he has.

That would move him to low high tier.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It's not that simple.

They will probably give him the same treatment they did with Melee Fox/Sheik/Ganondorf/Falcon to Brawl.

Last edited:

Gea

Smash Master
That magazine claimed the same stuff with Brawl and then only published the announced at the time roster. Don't expect the full thing.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I'm expecting a few more trailers in the next month then. Sakurai's team is working hard on those JUST for newcomers and wont let some magazine have all the fun.

Smash is a game that lends itself to long sets because we use a pretty damn long timer. Even in Melee, sometimes you get timeouts. Don't use an 8 minute timer if you aren't ready to see a 24 minute set. We need to restructure the way sets play out. Stop hand-holding the community based on "someon might SD" or "we need time to adapt"..

Tournaments start too late too. **** needs to get started as soon as the venue opens. Not 2 or 3 hours after.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I will agree with the whole tournament starting late is a big time waster. Need to stop waiting for people who are habitually late. Just start on time and don't let them enter, there are no excuses unless their car gets a flat. It's not fair to the people who arrive on time and need to leave early.

Last edited:

Xyro77

See? I tried to be nice and I get hated on. DONT WORRY THOUGH! I'll axe many a person come smash 4 if they are late.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
This is one area you NEVER should have been nice in the first place.

Xyro77

Yeah the tyrant is back but I still want feedback from you guys after/before/during an event.

And no, I'm going EXTRA hard on the players who have survived brawl. You guys ain't new gens anymore (though you still act like them).

Xyro77

That magazine claimed the same stuff with Brawl and then only published the announced at the time roster. Don't expect the full thing.
Just saw an update. CoroCoro retracted their statement and said they will only show every stage/char that has already been shown. You were right.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
You should probably also do a better job of queuing matches on TVs, don't wait until the result is reported before assigning a new match. It will definitely help speed things up.

Also, need to enforce the rule that the WINNER should report the result to TO/helper in charge. It doesn't matter if it's M2K vs a garbage can, the winner should ALWAYS report the result.

Last edited:

Xyro77

I'll take either person who reports the match. In a dispute, I believe the loser.

As for getting matches on deck, I do that all the time. Some listen, some don't. Technically, I'm only justified in being harsh if their match is being called and they don't show up. I can't be an A-hole if they are not on deck.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Set up an actual schedule (especially for regionals/nationals). You usually have a general "start" time but then freestyle it. Didn't work at all at whobo (I know other factors were in this). But it looks like the modern nationals have waves of pools and such to streamline time and efficiency. I think this is needed to finish on time.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
I know. My last post would of helped the last one greatly. And although the previous whobos were good, they still ended late (11pm and up for the most part). That's what we are trying to solve.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
WHOBO 3 took forever for some pools to start as well.

Xyro77

F that. End them at 9-10pm. It can be done.
That doesn't happen ever.

If you cannot reserve 11 or 12 hours for a tournament, don't go. Plan ahead, clear schedule and help out by brining set-ups/reporting matches/telling me about open tvs. If more people did this, things would end faster.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Oh yes it can happen. Has been done before many times.

I don't see wrong with an event ending at 10. Lots of people don't want to stay till 11-12 after being eliminated to watch grand finals. It takes away the hype which is needed.

Top Bottom