• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Samus is going to be alot better naturally if people are more likely to jump instead of shield + roll.

The Nair buff is NICE btw.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
TGCalt3.jpg

Hello, everybody! Xyro here. Texas Gaming Championships, the largest smash tournament series in Texas, is proud to announce its 5th event! December 5th, 2015 is the date. This time around, there is a new venue, character challenge, $1000 pot bonus ($500 for 1vs1 and 2vs2) and much more!

If you would like to play with the best players in Texas as well as be apart of the largest Smash 4 tournament series in the entire Southwest, please go here: http://smashboards.com/threads/dec-...bonus-wiifit-palutena-link-houston-tx.419208/

If you have any questions or concerns, please post in the link provided above or message/tag me.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Yeah. Have you met him? lol i wouldnt trust any part of game development with him.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Yeah, most of us would be pretty bad game devs. Project M showed us the perils.

Xyro77

Xyro77

Attention all people who are going with me to the 2015 MLG World Championships. The event is in 10 days and this event as well as Xyro has specific rules you need to follow.

1. Bring receipt of the purchased 1vs1 wiiu pass. PAPER version, not the one on your phone email.

2. Bring an ID. School ID does not count.

3. Bring a pillow or blanket. The hotel won't have enough for all of us. Also bring gator repellent. Louisiana has gators crawlin' up toilet bowls and stuff.

4. Bring deodorant. All of you have hit puberty by now and so you smell like a Yak's anus without deodorant. If I catch you without deodorant you will walk home or bus home. I will not have nose bleeds or foggy vision in my car because you cannot keep up on personal hygiene.

5. Meet me at my house (I have a really nice clean house) on October 15th (9 days away) around 9:30pm and stay the night (I'll feed you) to get good sleep or be at Sync's parking lot by 5:45am on the 16th. We leave at 6am regardless. Contact me for address.

6. If you are under 18 you need to have your parents or legal guardian fill out a form and bring it with you. Go to MLG website for the guardianship form or contact @mlgsupport on Twitter.

7. If you need help or more info, please contact me immediately.

Timothy Campos
Keith Joseph
Dylan Gaius Kaname
Johnnie Ramon
Alberto Miliziano
Allan Xyro Sims

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Good thing he has a job.

Oracle

Smash Master
THIS SATURDAY is the TLoc 1K for Smash 4 in DFW! Smash 4 Singles and Doubles, with singles getting a guaranteed $1000 pot with top 8 payout; possibly even more if we break 100 entrants. Players are coming from all over Texas, so be sure to come take part in Dallas' latest regional event! Message me if you need additional information

Facebook Event

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Interesting update.

Also, Helberd being removed because not being used is weird reasoning.

D

Deleted member

I have something I'd like to bring up about the tournament scene's usage of "setups".

With Melee/Brawl, it didn't really matter much who brought their "setup" because CRT Televisions had little to no input lag and due to the display technology itself, you could use practically any Standard Definition CRT for tournaments and not have to worry about input lag.

I play in tournaments in the general Houston area and I notice people are bringing up all kinds of TVs which have a wide range of input lag and I feel it's actually a hindrance to any fighting game, especially when we are playing competitively and with money on the line. I don't personally play for the money, but I notice most (in my experience) do, and for me, I tend to play with less skill on displays with input lag.

How would you guys feel for the proposal of only bringing displays using this list (Click Here) with 11ms input/display lag or lower?

More crazy games and combos could happen with less lag instead of people bringing like 2008 TVs (which TVs in general except very specific ones like few Sony ones generally have high input lag) so it's safe to say most displays being brought up are hindering us as players. We should be bringing up monitors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xyro77

I have something I'd like to bring up about the tournament scene's usage of "setups".

With Melee/Brawl, it didn't really matter much who brought their "setup" because CRT Televisions had little to no input lag and due to the display technology itself, you could use practically any Standard Definition CRT for tournaments and not have to worry about input lag.

I play in tournaments in the general Houston area and I notice people are bringing up all kinds of TVs which have a wide range of input lag and I feel it's actually a hindrance to any fighting game, especially when we are playing competitively and with money on the line. I don't personally play for the money, but I notice most (in my experience) do, and for me, I tend to play with less skill on displays with input lag.

How would you guys feel for the proposal of only bringing displays using this list (Click Here) with 11ms input/display lag or lower?

More crazy games and combos could happen with less lag instead of people bringing like 2008 TVs (which TVs in general except very specific ones like few Sony ones generally have high input lag) so it's safe to say most displays being brought up are hindering us as players. We should be bringing up monitors.
What you are proposing is for tournaments to adhere to a "standard" in terms of setups. This is a known tactic in the FGC community and it has worked thanks to EVO.

Here is the issue within the Smash community:

1. As a TO, my main focus is to have a quality event. This largely depends on the speed at which it progresses. So I need an ample amount of setups. Telling players to bring ONLY pre-approved setups will cut my total number of setups by about 10-15 right off the bat. Thus severely crippling my event's speed.

2. Other than a few super national events (MLG/EVO/Apex...etc), Smash events are 99% lead by the community. This means we rely on players for setups. Having said that, In general, smashers are younger and less financially sound than the players of the FGC so telling them to buy a new set-up is easier said than done. EVO, on the other hand, has companies who loan out all their setups to EVO so the burden isn't left to the players.

D

Deleted member

What you are proposing is for tournaments to adhere to a "standard" in terms of setups. This is a known tactic in the FGC community and it has worked thanks to EVO.

Here is the issue within the Smash community:

1. As a TO, my main focus is to have a quality event. This largely depends on the speed at which it progresses. So I need an ample amount of setups. Telling players to bring ONLY pre-approved setups will cut my total number of setups by about 10-15 right off the bat. Thus severely crippling my event's speed.

2. Other than a few super national events (MLG/EVO/Apex...etc), Smash events are 99% lead by the community. This means we rely on players for setups. Having said that, In general, smashers are younger and less financially sound than the players of the FGC so telling them to buy a new set-up is easier said than done. EVO, on the other hand, has companies who loan out all their setups to EVO so the burden isn't left to the players.
It is true Smash Bros attracts a varied and younger community due to being a Nintendo franchise, but on the other hand, I wonder if those who play the game competitively actually are incapable of purchasing a 100$-120$ display? I'd wager a lot of players who are on the casual side probably don't bring their setups for the majority, but those who tend to be more competitive will bring theirs. Of course, all types of people bring their setups.

I also wouldn't call it a "tactic", it's more or less to have a better and more competitive experience. Input lag is a very big deal, and it varying tremendously as it is now is honestly an issue, even if most people aren't aware of it or are voicing their concerns about it. Melee, Brawl, and Project M players wouldn't play on anything but CRTs for this reason. CRTs are cheaper, however.

Perhaps this could be something of a long term goal, as I'm aware this kind of change would surprise people and make tournaments initially go slower, but I feel the quality of it will make the game more enjoyable, competitive, and professional.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xyro77

It is a tactic. Not a negative one either.

Almost all TOs want a standard like what EVO has, but again, not all players will go out and spend the money on the correct monitor when they can use mommy and daddy's tv....etc.

All we can really do is spread the link around and promote the reasoning behind the standard we are trying to set.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Xyro nailed it. It's hard to tell people to buy a monitor that meets X requirements if they already have a working TV they use at home. Granted if a TV is "too" laggy to be played, we won't use it for a true setup.

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
Where Nike finds deals on buying 10 of the same TV. A reminiscence of him owning 7 CRTs in the days.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
—, oh homecoming, oh music within and about us! submerged in us it has remained with us as a knowledge of yore; submerged in us, we shall be lifted through it into its greater being, and submerged in us, greater than ourselves, it is ours beyond all chance; oh music within and about us! only that which the self harbors is greater than we are, it is immortal for us and exempted from chance, singing along with the word of the spheres, but that which we do not carry within us, that is chance and remains chance, it is mortal for us, neither now nor ever is it greater than we are, it never confines us—,

—, oh homecoming! everything is taken in by a child, everything is music to him, everything is immortal, everything has the greatness of allness, being always there to protect and fulfill him with its smile, since he may fly to its embrace, eye sunk into eye; the universe in all things! Oh, it is irretrievable for us, irretrievable because of our very growth! And should we wax ever so greatly, so that our arms branch out like rivers, our body spread out over continents and oceans unto the utmost limits of the worlds, the moon in our hair, we filling all of space, we ourselves the starry pinnacle of night, the glittering dome of dream, endless, endless in sheer radiation, yet we remain outside of ourselves, we are still expulsed, no night embraces us and no morning welcomes us, because we are bound and dazed, without flight or goal for flight, unsurrendered even to ourselves, because our arms have drawn nothing to our hearts—

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
omfg bee thousand is prophetic it's such a good album also someone money match me in melee $500

Last edited:
Top Bottom