• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I honestly don't care since it's not MH-related

Teshie U

Smash Lord
We still don't know his real name.
This is just some awful newgen meme. If YOU don't remember my name, after the time I'm known you, its obviously not important. I don't know any of your names off the top of my head and it doesn't bother me. You are diddy kong, grim is snake, trela is lucario and xyro is tournament guy.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Have you...ever told anyone your real name?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
WARREN LOVELY SMIS creator of THE FALCHION BLADE forged in the FIRES OF BRINSTAR AND THE WATERS OF NORFAIR.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Jerm plz.

I'd rather fight your Zelda then deal with this terrible riddle.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
WARREN LOVELY SMIS creator of THE FALCHION BLADE forged in the FIRES OF BRINSTAR AND THE WATERS OF NORFAIR.
THE LEGENDARY FALCHION BLADE WAS FORGED IN THE FIRE OF BRINSTAR AND COOLED IN THE WATERS OF NORFAIR

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
...go on, the world needs to know.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
@Krebs @alex mora

Please note that commentators should NOT be talking to the chat during matches. I know Krebs was saying people are trying to get better at it, but they aren't. All you guys are doing is ruining the VoD. Grand Finals is literally people talking about photoshop on commentary. Stay focused or get off the mic. You guys are making it LESS likely that anyone is going to watch

Xyro77

Yeah. i tried watching Sunday's event and BC commentates like.....bad. "MiiGunner is like a better Samus. Better charge shot, and shoots missiles."

spoilers: missgunner does less knock back AND damage with charge shot than Samus
spoilers 2: mii gunner doesnt have missiles

He reads the chat a lot and has side convos with complete randoms that walk by. Then he had another commentator sit down and that dude said something like "Fox. hit just does things like hit people."

I turned down the volume and played splatoon at that point. Id rather have no commentary than absolute S H I T. I dont wanna come off as an expert commentator because im not but DAYUM.

Kihrah

Smash Apprentice
I've noticed a lot of the commentators are getting flak and I can agree they are far from perfect but I'd love for our city to have legit commentators. That being said, can we hold tryouts of some sort to gauge which people are genuinely interested in becoming an (official?) commentator so we can all give that person constructive criticism so we can start looking forward to the commentary?

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I'm okay with bad commentators working on their game, its just locals, but 90% of the time its just people chilling on the mic and talking out of their asses when the topic of the actual match comes up.

If you wanna get on commentary, maybe watch some good commentary from other games and figure out what is acceptable.

If good commentary (or attempts at it) aren't available, then have NO commentary. Someone can sit there, monitor the stream and whatnot, but SHUT THE **** UP.

Again, I'm not trying to be mean, but why are you even streaming if its going to be a negative bullet point.

Xyro77

TBH the only GOOD commentary ive seen is from Gnes, Jerm, Razer, Trela.

edit: the thing i find most important about commentating is if the person has KNOWLEDGE, a quick tongue and isn't monotone/boring (no offense but BC is a perfect example of monotone/boring). A selfcentered arrogant robot voice slowly spewing out smash memes, smash buzz words (hoo ha, get bodied, salty, on fleek, aay lmao, hype, shout outs to *insert stupid s h i t here*...etc) and stupid fukcing inside jokes angers me so much.

"You want be e-sports but you don't want to CHANGE." - Ultron

Last edited:

Kihrah

Smash Apprentice

edit: the thing i find most important about commentating is if the person has KNOWLEDGE, a quick tongue and isn't monotone/boring (no offense but BC is a perfect example of monotone/boring). A selfcentered arrogant robot voice slowly spewing out smash memes, buzz words and inside jokes angers me so much.

"You want be e-sports but you don't want to CHANGE." -Ultron
The problem is Gnes, Jerm, Razer, Zori and Trela are all good players and aren't realistically going to be commentating much. What is the best way to get legit commentators for the scene? If the most important thing about commentating is knowledge then that is something anyone can learn right. Just have to find who is really interested

BC.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
direprophecy
You must have selective hearing when it comes to Samus. I never said Mii Gunner was a better Samus. You're like Slush whenever someone mentions Yoshi - instantly triggered.

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193

edit: the thing i find most important about commentating is if the person has KNOWLEDGE, a quick tongue and isn't monotone/boring (no offense but BC is a perfect example of monotone/boring). A selfcentered arrogant robot voice slowly spewing out smash memes, smash buzz words (hoo ha, get bodied, salty, on fleek, aay lmao...etc) and stupid fukcing inside jokes angers me so much.

"You want be e-sports but you don't want to CHANGE." -Ultron
Ultron never said this.

Xyro77

The problem is Gnes, Jerm, Razer, Zori and Trela are all good players and aren't realistically going to be commentating much. What is the best way to get legit commentators for the scene? If the most important thing about commentating is knowledge then that is something anyone can learn right. Just have to find who is really interested
If you want REAL, SKILLED and SERIOUS commentators.......

No one in Houston is REALISTICALLY going to:

1. Be knowledgeable, quick tongued and animated or at least slightly interesting sounding.
2. Sit there for 5-15 hours (depends on the event) to commentate and keep #1 going strong.
3. Do it for free.

Xyro77

You must have selective hearing when it comes to Samus. I never said Mii Gunner was a better Samus. You're like Slush whenever someone mentions Yoshi - instantly triggered.
I dislike when people who know nothing about Samus or character XYZ spout out false info about the character as if it was law.

Ultron never said this.
You literally missed the point of the post and the purpose of me editing Ultron's quote. Typical NEW GEN

Last edited:

Kihrah

Smash Apprentice
If you want REAL, SKILLED and SERIOUS commentators.......

No one in Houston is REALISTICALLY going to:

1. Be knowledgeable, quick tongued and animated or at least slightly interesting sounding.
2. Sit there for 5-15 hours (depends on the event) to commentate and keep #1 going strong.
3. Do it for free.
Since it hasn't happened so far, when I get back I'm going to find dedicated commentators who will do all of that. They can get paid once they're 2 legit 2 quit.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
If only I had a quick-tongue, I could try to be a good commentator. But alas, I do not meet this important requirement...

Last edited:

Xyro77

As for me, i find my self caring less and less about smash after each event. 11 years of hosting and 16 years of playing....Im tired. So i couldn't care less about commentary or stream or bad rules to speed up the game/increase viewership or any other e-sport/FGC measure that is slowly eating away at the very foundation of what competitive smash is and why its unique/underground. I just am slowly not giving a s h i t anymore lmao.

Edit: just gonna hang in there doing the right thing until i literally cant stand the sight of the game

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
As for me, i find my self caring less and less about smash after each event. 11 years of hosting and 16 years of playing....Im tired. So i couldn't care less about commentary or stream or bad rules to speed up the game/increase viewership or any other e-sport/FGC measure that is slowly eating away at the very foundation of what competitive smash is and why its unique/underground. I just am slowly not giving a s h i t anymore lmao.
Cheers, mate.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Lol DANG allan going IN.

I was gonna ask besides Allan, how's my commentary on the times I've done it? Tesh? RT? It doesn't seem hard at all. But some people absolutely blow whale butthole so idk.

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
Get a commentator buddy. I'd be more active on the SA stream, but I'm mic-shy as **** when by myself cause all the other players are out friendlying or watching intense finals. I'd be knowledgeable when it comes to our local players, but I need someone to back me up cause I don't follow jack **** to current character match ups.

Santi's my DK Barrel buddy tho.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
I can become a legit commentator for Smash 4 stuff, some people have given me some positive feedback out of nowhere on like the few matches I actually have done which was pretty surprising. This is actually something I've been thinking about a lot lately as a way to stay in touch with you guys while playing Melee competitively. I know everyone really well lol and actually understand what's going on, can switch roles between professional(ish) and entertaining + fun for the stream's chat. I definitely have a personality, lmao.. but won't let it get too out of hand. TL;DR I know what's up and I feel like anyone that's been around through 2 gens of smash knows this as well. If you guys wanna give me a shot at it I'll attend the next TGC strictly to commentate outside of my actual matches, it'll be fun and something to look forward to.

Last edited:

BC.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
direprophecy
I dislike when people who know nothing about Samus or character XYZ spout out false info about the character as if it was law.

You literally missed the point of the post and the purpose of me editing Ultron's quote. Typical NEW GEN
Lol chill. I said Mii Gunner had the same missles/charge shot moves as Samus, but nothing about them being inferior or superior. You chose to misinterpret me and then go off on a nerd rage tanget.

Xyro77

Lol chill. I said Mii Gunner had the same missles/charge shot moves as Samus, but nothing about them being inferior or superior. You chose to misinterpret me and then go off on a nerd rage tanget.
SAME=SAME
18% (mii) is not the SAME as 26%(samus)
lower knockback (mii) is not the SAME as higher knockback (samus)
having missiles (samus) is not the SAME as not having missiles(mii)

MiiGunner does not have the SAME charge shot as Samus. He doesnt have missiles AT ALL.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Default Mii Gunner just has Samus Charge Shot, Upsmash and Dtilt, but obviously its clear Xyro is singling you out when you are far from the worst.

I enjoy San Antonio's stream far far more because there is no commentary. The youtube videos don't have to be played on mute either. Getting truly strong commentary is tough I agree. Which is why I'm saying you need to shut the mic off when its not available.

The thing is that people aren't even trying to commentate. They just jump on mic so they can jerk each other off with memes/shoutouts and occasional "oh that was a nice fair". Its all in good fun for someone in the crowd (I do alot that silliness myself), but it doesn't add much to a stream.

Its your stream so do whatever, but if you want to average more than 10 viewers at a time you should look into the quality of ALL the content.

Xyro77

I am singling him out because he was the most recent commentator to F-up. He's def not the worst. I'm sure onion is much worse. I'm just showing yall an example of uneducated commentating,

Oni•n

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Onion546714
3DS FC
5129-2796-7326
I am singling him out because he was the most recent commentator to F-up. He's def not the worst. I'm sure onion is much worse. I'm just showing yall an example of uneducated commentating,
Lol. I would definitely be the worst commentator. I wouldn't know what to say.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
lmao at me offering a solution and everyone continuing to complain

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Solution: commentary consists of Illmatic and GrimTurtle coughing and putting blunts in deer's mouths while showing off our new mixtape: Smoke.

Top Bottom