• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Melee Thread

52pickup

Smash Cadet
Hi, does anyone here live in Katy? :) I'd love to play with someone local...but I don't have a means of getting around to places lol.

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
Hi, does anyone here live in Katy? :) I'd love to play with someone local...but I don't have a means of getting around to places lol.
Their are a few people who live in that area. Houston communicates pretty much exclusively on facebook, so if you want to get in touch with people, you should post there.
Here's a link to the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/223986011009934/
Request to join and I'll add you.

Zhea

Smash Ace
Hey, San Antonio here.

So the guy who runs the place we hold our local smashfests on Fridays and Saturdays has shown interest in holding melee tournaments there (Ooples Apparel to be more specific). He's been asking if I'd like to TO it, and I have told him that I would look into the logistics.

I understand there is a lot of conditionals for attendance, there is for every tournament. My question is this: If San Antonio held a tournament, would Houston be interested? Not necessarily a "Yeah I will be there for sure", but I would like to know if it's a resounding NO.

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
Hey, San Antonio here.

So the guy who runs the place we hold our local smashfests on Fridays and Saturdays has shown interest in holding melee tournaments there (Ooples Apparel to be more specific). He's been asking if I'd like to TO it, and I have told him that I would look into the logistics.

I understand there is a lot of conditionals for attendance, there is for every tournament. My question is this: If San Antonio held a tournament, would Houston be interested? Not necessarily a "Yeah I will be there for sure", but I would like to know if it's a resounding NO.
Find out the date, who's going, what the venue's like, etc. The more info you give, the easier it will be to make a decision. I'm going to be in San Antonio later this month, so I might be able to go. I'm sure you can get Austin to go, as Austin isn't that far from San Antonio, so if you get people like MT, Tirno, AustinRC, etc. to go, Houston will at least be interested.

I'm like one of the only people who looks at this thread, so if you want to see how interested Houston is, I can add you to the Houston Melee facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/223986011009934/

I'd recommend confirming some people from Austin first so that this tournament looks more appealing for us to drive to. Good luck with the tournament, I hope it goes well!

Sybawave

Smash Ace
**** you frisbee. Anyway venue is really big and spacious. It looks great for a tournament. In my opinion. And it is also indoors. Unlike some other places that will not be named.

Zhea

Smash Ace
Yeah that would be good. This is more or less just to get an idea if scope so I can get the owner the right logistics. Also if you could add me that would be awsome, I 'll pm you later with my info.

Zhea

Smash Ace
Sorry for the double post, but I need to get peoples attention: Right now looking at dates near the end of April to early to mid May for a tourney at Ooples Apparel in San Antonio. After looking at the SW tournament section I am not seeing any other posted stuff. So my question to the Houston TO's is are you planning on having a local around that time and which weekend are you thinking about?

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
Uhhh, well I am pretty much the only TO in Houston, and I don't have anything planned at the moment, but I've been talking to Axe about coming to a Houston tournament in May, so it would probably be best if you did it in late April. Let me know what's up, this sounds pretty legit, I can probably get a good portion of people from Houston to come if everything looks good. I would recommend getting big names from Austin to confirm that they are going since Austin's so close, like Arc, TIrno, and MT, so that more people from Houston will be interested in traveling. Good luck, I hope this turns out well!

Zhea

Smash Ace
Thanks, Yeah this sounds fine I just wanted to find a date that didn't step on to many of our neighbors toes. Apparently the owner of the venue says when the store was in another part of SA he was able to get a lot of store regulars to join ( something like 20 ) and claims he can do it again, so this might have a pretty fat pot for a local I will keep people posted and get a date down by the end of the week.

Frame Perfect

Smash Journeyman
so i'll probly be in houston today and tomorrow... not sure how long if you guyz want get some games in... tourny would be cool don't know how long i can stay

Admiral!

Smash Apprentice
so i'll probly be in houston today and tomorrow... not sure how long if you guyz want get some games in... tourny would be cool don't know how long i can stay
I can play today. I live next to Rice U, but I can travel.

TSC, I'll post it in the fb group, but I think a lot of people were planning on doing a Moufest on Sunday instead. I'm not sure how many people are interested in showing up to both, but I'll let you know.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Just throwing this out there for the few of you that actually care: The legendary TGM is hosting WHOBO 5 (this october) with melee included. This means singles/double and maybe pools for each (depending on attendance). The same goes for PM and brawl. Everybody will be treated the same (no, u will not be treated as a side event) and every body will have a certain area dedicated to them as well as a live stream. Im running brawl, im having De Angelo run melee and im having sethlon will run PM. The idea is being passed around in yalls FB group so if u want u can check it out now, go for it. The official threads will be up within a week or so.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

jackmaster09

Smash Rookie
Sup guys, I just moved to Beaumont and I'm looking for some ppl to smash with. Anyone in the Area? I can travel to Houston if thats where all the actions at.

Jimbles

Smash Rookie
Uh... Hi. I just started trying to play competitive melee a few weeks ago, and would really like to start playing more often. Anyone here have any suggestions?

tropicthunda

Smash Rookie
I'm interested in melee meet ups, practices, tournaments etc., not that great of a player but willing to learn and put in the practice, I don't have a FB but you can contact me via email or phone, hit me up

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
I'm interested in melee meet ups, practices, tournaments etc., not that great of a player but willing to learn and put in the practice, I don't have a FB but you can contact me via email or phone, hit me up
Unfortunately the Houston Melee scene communicates exclusively on FB. Here's a link to the FB group if you decide to get one: https://www.facebook.com/groups/223986011009934/
Otherwise, I'll try to remember to post when melee meet ups (smashfests) happen. There is usually one big smashfest on Friday or Saturday at U of H from about 5:30 pm til maybe 2 am or so. Here is the specific location of the majority of large smashfests: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=215711474521570589336.0004d7f1fb514b316199e&msa=0
In other news, there is a tournament on November 30th, the link to the info is a few comments up (my previous comment). Hope to see you there!

Top Bottom