• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HOLD IT! Phoenix Wright: Turnabout DL-Cx!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Game And Guy

Smash Cadet
But, but, new guy, Capcom already has Mega Ma-
I don't see anything about represented third parties being unable to have more than one representative, and plus, Phoenix Wright is pretty much a Nintendo franchise. So thus, here I am dreaming of the Ace Attorney joining the battle as DLC even though it will never come true.

WHO AND WHY?
Phoenix Wright is an Attorney at Law and main character of the Ace Attorney franchise by Capcom. He's solved many high-profile cases ranging from a certain spirit medium getting being useless and getting into lots of trouble to incredible heists to psychopathic pop stars, all the way getting the Judge to enact the right verdict. Ace Attorney has consistently been released on Nintendo handhelds only, and only later was this broken for some rereleases. So why not Phoenix Wright? From a visual novel/adventure background, Phoenix Wright hasn't actually shown any way to fight...except he appears in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 with a complete arsenal and even mechanic to boot. Plus, being from a game that doesn't have much reference to the ability to fight hasn't stopped certain characters from being included.

So Phoenix Wright, the Ace Attorney has as much chance as DLC, even more so, than other characters.

HOW WOULD HE PLAY?
Now, it's going to be hard to be completely different from Mr. Nick's appearance in UMvC3, so my guess is that he will actually play similarly to that. Phoenix in Smash would also be based on "fighting without fighting" idea, and will also have a variation of sorts of UMvC3 Phoenix's Evidence Mechanic. Smashnix will be tall and lean, with a relatively short ranger, similar to the WFT. He will be a little slow, but not a little, and his jump isn't too high. Phoenix will probably not attack with his own body, so no punches or kicks. He'd have normals that are unassuming, similar to Villager's normals, as well as aerials. He moves in a way that he' upright.

Now, here's my little own wishing: his smash attacks will be the his speech bubbles (Hold It, Take That, and the ever iconic Objection). His attacks gets stronger as he gathers "evidence", and the way he gathers evidence is by a special move that absorbs the opponents attacks. I haven't actually figured out how that will work out with it being too OP, but it's an idea.

POTENTIAL MOVESET
F-Smash, U-Smash, D-Smash
  • OBJECTION: Phoenix points his finger to the direction inputted, and an Objection bubble appears. The bubble gets bigger as you charge it. Goes forward, similar to DH's fsmash. Has fire properties.
  • HOLD IT: Phoenix points his finger to the side and quickly arches to the top, and a Hold It bubble appears. The bubble gets bigger as you charge it. Covers the direction Phoenix is facing.
  • TAKE THAT: Similar to ZSS's down Smash, only it covers both sides of the player. Phoenix point his finger and a Take That bubble appears. The bubble gets bigger as you charge it. Knocks opponent horizontally. Stuns if fully charged.
Jab, Dash
  • ACHOO: Phoenix sneezes. Blows away opponents
  • Missile: Missile comes out between Phoenix's legs, and Phoenix screeches to a stop while Missile hits whoever is in front.
F-Tilt, U-Tilt, D-Tilt
  • Badger: Flashes Defense Attorney badge in front of him.
  • Ring Ring: Phoenix bends his knees takes a phone call, while a fire extinguisher appears out of nowhere and tries to smack Phoenix, but bonks the opponent instead. Comes out faster than it sounds like.
  • What's This: Crouches (chest to knees) and picks up something. Can trip opponents.
N-Air, F-Air, B-Air, U-Air, D-Air
  • Report: Papers fly off in a mess around Phoenix (except below). Covers large area.
  • Whipped: Phoenix gets whipped from the front. Only the whip "cracks" can be seen. Multiple hits.
  • Steel Samurai: Takes out spear and pokes behind.
  • 1:00: Takes out a thinker statue that, for some reason, says "1:00 PM" in a bubble above it.
  • I AM: Drops an Urn. Spikes.
Neutral Special, Side Special, Up Special, Down Special
  • Court Record: An absorbing move that absorbs all moves, but does not protect Phoenix from it, only slightly reduces damage. Phoenix opens up the Court Record and absorbs a move, which fills up an "evidence meter". The more powerful, the move, the more amount is added to the meter. A fully charged smash will fully charge the meter. Once this meter is full, pressing the neutral special button will allow Phoenix to have a temporary strength boost.
  • Magatama: A "psyche-locke" appears on the opponent in front and Phoenix dashes through them. The higher the evidence meter, the more psy-lockes will cover the opponent. The opponent takes more damages and Phoenix goes further horizontally.
  • Mood Matrix: Takes out Widget and an emotion icon flashes below him. Depending the evidence meter, the emotion changes. From Angry, to Sadness, to Surprise, then finally to Happiness. The mood icon explodes, which launches Phoenix horizontally, with distance depending on the mood. Depending on the mood increases damage and radius.
  • Present: A counter. Uses up evidence meter. The more amount, the harder the counter. This does not stack up with on the power of the countered move.
Grab and Pummel, Throws
  • Grabs with one hand, and there's a large space between them. Pummel is a bunch of items being shown as evidence.
  • Forward throw: Phoenix pushes the opponent forward by opening an umbrella
  • Back throw: Phoenix drags the opponent toward his back and shoves them back by opening an umbrella.
  • Down throw: Phoenix shoves the opponent down. A snapping sound occurs and the opponent bounces up revealing a broken umbrella.
  • Up throw: Drags opponent toward him and opens up an umbrella that bounces the opponent up.
Up Taunt, Side Taunt, Down Taunt
  • Shakes head, then points. Says something badass.
  • Laughs with his embarrassed face.
  • A desk pops out of nowhere and Phoenix slams his palms on it.
Final Smash
  • Verdict: Cutscene FS. Pretty much a culmination of UMvC3 Wright's Corned and Objection Overruled hyper combo

OTHER STUFF
Stage representation has a lot potential. Court Room should definitely be a stage, maybe with various prosecutors, witness, and such as stage hazards/background. If you want to be terrible, have a bomb blow up the stage. I could see this working as both a walk-off and a normal stage with pits. Other ideas include Kurain Village, Gourd Lake, a transitional stage with numerious, and who could forget the series favorite Big Top?????

Music. This: Pursuit - Cornered 2001/4 or better yet this remix
Others include:
Objection! 2001
Steel Samurai or again, this remix
Jake Marshall - Wandering Detective from the Wild West
Phantom - Unknown

Costumes:
Numerous character-based palettes. Mia Fey, Miles Edgeworth, Apollo Justice, **** Gumshoe, Godot, Frachizka Von Karma, Athena Cykes all come to mind.

Assist Trophies:
Wendy Oldbag or Maya assist. Oldbag could easily go the Resetti route and be an annoying view blocker. Maya...could be more physical I guess? She could do some similar stuff to her UMvC3 appearance, perhaps.

Items:
Von Karma's whip?
The metal detector?
The bug detector?
Well, you can have the plush bomb.

So.
Do you find yourself as the defendant in a murder case that is actively trying to incriminate you? You can rely on the one and only Ace Attorney (screw you, Apollo), Phoenix Wright!

Last edited:

Game And Guy

Smash Cadet
I'm still hoping he'd show up. He's such a good character from an amazing Nintendo franchise.. This is why I believe that despite the fact Mega Man is there for Capcom, Phoenix Wright still has a chance because of how HE IS a character from a mainly Nintendo platform franchise.

Game And Guy

Smash Cadet
Updated the OP with some more miscellaneous stuff. Man, the more and more I think about this, the more and more I get too excited.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
I'd prefer to see Arthur as a second Capcom rep, but Mr. Wright would be pretty good too. He'd be interesting, certainly.

Game And Guy

Smash Cadet
I'd prefer to see Arthur as a second Capcom rep, but Mr. Wright would be pretty good too. He'd be interesting, certainly.
I'd actually love to see multiple Capcom franchises represented, especially if they've largely appeared on Nintendo consoles. But alas, they're third party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom