• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hitbox.tv Announces Messi As Ambassador of Smash!

In an exciting announcement, Hitbox.tv has announced it will be hiring Giuseppe "Messi" Messina as their Ambassador of Smash. This is part of a plan to help expand those streaming Smash on the Hitbox platform and help the community further thrive as it grows. "This is my chance to start bridging a gap that maybe should have never been there not only in the Smash community, but in the FGC," said Messi on the announcement. "I grew up a competitor, that's probably how I'll go out too."

This isn't the first time Hitbox has reached out to help the Smash community. Through their efforts, a local New Jersey event, Hitbox Arena, was able to increase their production values. Hitbox has also shown support for various other events, such as Big Balc and Final Boss, by writing blogs on the events and supporting with marketing and pot bonuses. They have also announced at the upcoming tournament Do or DI pot bonuses of $6,500 to be spread out to every Smash title at the event.

When Nebulous was forced to find a new venue, the Smash scene in New York took a heavy blow. A Kickstarter campaign had to be created just to help find another venue. Hitbox's first major outreaching moment to the Smash community is to do something no other streaming service has done before: sponsor a full-time venue so that Smash in NYC can continue without fear of being shut down yet again. Also because of this, Nebulous has not only able to run their Super Nebs series but also has Super Nova for Project M and is in the planning stages for Smash 4 and Smash 64.

Speaking of Project M, as Hitbox expands to help with the entirety of the Smash community, they are also dedicated to its continued support. "We want to grow and expand into the other smash games, but I want to always make sure that the staff we have dealing with the game knows PM is where we started, and that those communities and events will be the priority." said Hawkeye, Head of Community at Hitbox.tv.

As other streaming services shunned the community in the past, Hitbox invited those who streamed the game with open arms. When Paragon Los Angeles had to change streams at the last minute, Hitbox made sure to give it all the support possible, and PMTV has had its home there now for quite some time to great success.

These are only two of the current plans for community outreach. Hitbox intends to be at more events and to interact with the community further, and part of Messi's job is to help people see the opportunities they can have on the platform. "My job isn't to pressure people or force them onto the platform at Hitbox, the platform speaks for itself," he told us. "I don't care if someone streams once a week or full time, Hitbox is a place for everyone. My job is to expand and grow a community that already feels like a giant family."

He also spoke of the many tools Hitbox offers to those just starting out. "Hitbox offers a sub-button for all streams, including brand new ones, and has an easy to use dashboard that allows access to all social media pages and your sticky, polls, or giveaways all on a single page with no add-ons needed."

It will be interesting to see what Hitbox.tv has to offer Smashers in the future. To hear more about these new opportunities or learn more about streaming on the platform, be sure to contact Messi @MessiNYC on Twitter. Excited to see Hitbox expanding even more within the Smash community? Tell us in the comments section below and stay tuned for future updates on Hitbox's involvement with Smash.

Comments

damn.... Is this real life? or is this just fantasy?

Messi (the NY Mario main who is best known for being friends with the guy who once falcon punched rolex, not the SouthWest Snake Messi) is doing it big. He has been a big Hitbox supporter for a long time I know.

For me one of the biggest things with Hitbox is that I can sub to and help support my favorite smaller smash streams not just the big popular ones.

Last edited:
While its great that Hitbox.TV is reaching out... But as a strong supporter of Hitbox.TV for a long time now, I gotta say... **** Hitbox Arena, and **** Johnny VanDuyne. The guy is a piece of **** tournament organizer who railroads other TOs with scumbag tactics and flat out anti-community behavior.

We have a Facebook group for Smash TOs in the TriState are where we all coordinate, and try to schedule around each other so nobody is subject to oversaturation. We work together out of mutual respect and benefit of the community as a whole.

Johnny doesn't. He schedules his events on top of other events nearby in an attempt to cannibalize their attendees. We run a Smash 4 weekly on Tuesdays, he decides to run his on Tuesday as well; 30 minutes away. We run a Melee bi-weekly every other Friday, he decides to run his Melee bi-weekly every other Friday. And not on the other Fridays, the same Fridays.

Speaking with TOs who used to work with him (and quit due to his stubborness and bull****), he does this intentionally and refuses to change. In addition to this, he has sent some of his local "HBA sponsored" players to our events so that they could talk to people and convince them to stop coming to our events and go to his instead.

Then this guy has the gall to come on to the Facebook group and say "we need to work together so our events don't overlap". *****, we are working together, you're the asshole stepping on people's toes! We could be having an honest discussion about something, then he joins in on the conversation, with a thinly veiled advert for his own tournaments.

Pretty much the entirety of the TriState Smash TO community hates him. Hitbox.TV's first major outreach to the Smash community is to the biggest douche TO in the community.

Last edited:
While its great that Hitbox.TV is reaching out... But as a strong supporter of Hitbox.TV for a long time now, I gotta say... **** Hitbox Arena, and **** Johnny VanDuyne. The guy is a piece of **** tournament organizer who railroads other TOs with scumbag tactics and flat out anti-community behavior.

We have a Facebook group for Smash TOs in the TriState are where we all coordinate, and try to schedule around each other so nobody is subject to oversaturation. We work together out of mutual respect and benefit of the community as a whole.

Johnny doesn't. He schedules his events on top of other events nearby in an attempt to cannibalize their attendees. We run a Smash 4 weekly on Tuesdays, he decides to run his on Tuesday as well; 30 minutes away. We run a Melee bi-weekly every other Friday, he decides to run his Melee bi-weekly every other Friday. And not on the other Fridays, the same Fridays.

Speaking with TOs who used to work with him (and quit due to his stubborness and bull****), he does this intentionally and refuses to change. In addition to this, he has sent some of his local "HBA sponsored" players to our events so that they could talk to people and convince them to stop coming to our events and go to his instead.

Then this guy has the gall to come on to the Facebook group and say "we need to work together so our events don't overlap". *****, we are working together, you're the ******* stepping on people's toes! We could be having an honest discussion about something, then he joins in on the conversation, with a thinly veiled advert for his own tournaments.

Pretty much the entirety of the TriState Smash TO community hates him. Hitbox.TV's first major outreach to the Smash community is to the biggest douche TO in the community.
I'm sorry, I don't follow. Are you talking about Hitbox or Hitbox Arena, or both? If both, how are they related?

I'm sorry, I don't follow. Are you talking about Hitbox or Hitbox Arena, or both? If both, how are they related?
Hitbox.TV is GREAT! I've spoken directly with several of the staff there and I love those guys. Specifically dansen, that guy is the best.

Hitbox Arena is not part of Hitbox.TV, they are a hole-in-the-wall **** venue owned by Johnny VanDuyne. And many players and TOs boycott his events because of his scumbaggery. Even the upcoming "Do or Die" event, the pot is questionable at best.

Hitbox.TV should be a little bit ashamed of working with Hitbox Arena.

Last edited:

Then this guy has the gall to come on to the Facebook group and say "we need to work together so our events don't overlap". *****, we are working together, you're the ******* stepping on people's toes! We could be having an honest discussion about something, then he joins in on the conversation, with a thinly veiled advert for his own tournaments.

When comics have their jokes stolen by another comic (they don't have Intellectual Property protection, a good thing IMO), an army of pamphleteers shows up outside the shows of those that stole them, and ticket sales plummet.
With a well-designed pamphlet, I bet someone would be willing to stand around his stuff and try to hand them out. That should put a huge dent in his business, reputation, and hopefully force him to be humble (or at least dent his pride).
It's not dirty tactics if it's entirely truthful and written informatively, so there should be no moral qualms or scummy feelings about it.

Last edited:
Glad Hitbox.tv is investing in PM as its' new home.

I hope other streaming ventures try to seriously invest in Smash streams, specifically community-centric streams.

While I love Twitch (sans a few hiccups; namely why doesn't it fully switch to HTML5 and other non-Flash video players [Flash is Trash]), a free market competing for Smash event streaming rights is what is best for Smash streaming/streamers, and all the competition leads to better products from all parties involved.

it's so sad that the best news for PM in a long time has been "Things won't change".
I do somewhat agree with this, but I'm just glad it's not negative news for once. I'd rather have "we're not changing" than "we're disbanding" or "we're not supporting" etc.

Last edited:
Hitbox.TV is GREAT! I've spoken directly with several of the staff there and I love those guys. Specifically dansen, that guy is the best.

Hitbox Arena is not part of Hitbox.TV, they are a hole-in-the-wall **** venue owned by Johnny VanDuyne. And many players and TOs boycott his events because of his scumbaggery. Even the upcoming "Do or Die" event, the pot is questionable at best.

Hitbox.TV should be a little bit ashamed of working with Hitbox Arena.
Speaking for Hitbox.tv I certainly cannot comment on the interactions within groups we have never been involved in all I can speak for is what we have seen from Hitbox Arena. They have always done what they promised with us, and came to us with a fairly good plan for events that we chose to support. As for Do or DI that is actually being run by the folks at Gameacon and Johnny is just the TO they hired. Also the prize pool is hardly in question, we are paying it and Johnny has been given the documentation from us to prove that to players. We have worked on several projects with the Gameacon people, and they are doing a lot to make Atlantic City a gamer friendly place. We like that idea.

We do consider all partnerships we deal with here at Hitbox.tv but so far Hitbox Arena hasn't given us any reason not to work with them.

I think you're going off on them way too hard. They've been very helpful to me in all my experiences. Also Johnny has worked with me to avoid events on the same days. But I don't think he really has to. We're central NJ and he's north and he own a store so he absolutely has to run events as much as he can. I can't blame him for having to run events the same days as others as he needs to run as much as he can to keep his business afloat.

I think it's fair to say people can have different interactions with the same people and some people really rub others the wrong way, I just think if you do support Hitbox.TV (which it sounds like you do) then this page is more about spring boarding themselves then giving Johnny more spotlight than needs be. Especially considering hitbox arena plays such a minor role in this article. All that being said, I understand sometimes you gotta vent, so I don't blame you for letting it out. Sometimes people who make the lives of those around them more difficult (even if they're fine on paper to others) need a little call out if they're just steamrolling people. Passive aggressive frustration is a hard thing to sit with, but maybe just pm (yeah i know, no one wants to hear that) hitbox with your concerns or confusions about that specific decision and leave this page to their positive exposure.

To Jaxel: Basically what Keitaro said, honestly. You are really being way over dramatic for thinking he is intentionally trying to inhibit you from doing anything.

Last edited:
Don't quote me, but I believe the rule is that if you have a sub option on twitch you can't stream PM.
That aside, it's so sad that the best news for PM in a long time has been "Things won't change".
yes, this is true.

Last edited:
Top Bottom