• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

High Seas $200 PotBonus (so far)-November 23rd -24th, 2013 - EastCarolinaUniversity Greenville, NC

KoozyK

Smash Ace
ECU Gaming, Mariabattleaxe, KoozyK and GDX Present

"Surrender yer booty"

Mendenhall Student Center
East Carolina University
Greenville, North Carolina
Travel information.
Airports nearby.
Raleigh/Durham Internation (Raliegh, NC) 1.5 hours from venue.
Pitt Greenvillle Airport (Greenville, NC)
By car
NewYork to Greenville.

Schedule is subject to change.
Saturday
Doors open/Registration~~~~~~~10:00- Noon
Singles and Doubles Registration end at the same time
Doubles Begin~~~~~~~~~~~~~~1:00pm
Singles pools Begin~~~~~~~~~~~~4:00pm
Wave 1 - 4pm-7pm
Wave 2- 7pm-10pm
(Hype matches will be streamed, not individual pools.)
Sunday
Singles Start~~~~~~~~~~~Noon
Venue Closes~~~~~~~~~~~~8:30pm

Door Fee $12
Singles $10
Doubles $20 per team ($10 a person)
WE NEED SETUPS
T.V ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~$2 off
Wii with Brawl ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~$2 off
Power strip ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~$1. off
Full setup (T.V, Wii, Brawl, Power strip)~~~~ $8 off
Chickfila, Pandaexpress are in the venue
Map of food within walking distance.
[COLLAPSE="Food Map"]

[/COLLAPSE]

1st: 50% + (50% of pot bonus)
2nd: 20% + (20% of pot bonus)
3rd: 15% + (15% of pot bonus)
4th: 10% + (10% of pot bonus)
5th: 2.5% (divided between 2 people)
+ (2.5% of pot bonus)
1st: 55%
2nd: 25%
3rd: 15%
4th: 5%
Apex 2014 Rule set:
[COLLAPSE="Rules"]

Pools
Singles will be bracket pools, similar to how Apex 2013 was ran, and how Apex 2014 will run. If there are <= 64 entrants, then there will be 4 pools of 16, done in two separate waves of 2 pools at a time. If there are <= 128, there will be 8 pools of 16 done with 2 waves of 4 pools at a time. If > 128, then it will still stay 8 pools but we will adjust pools to size 32 as necessary

No matter how many pools there are (4 or 8), top 3 will get out. So you will have to play winners finals and losers quarters. The person that remains in winners of their pool will get a bye in the final bracket, while the two losers of their pool will have to play round 1 in final bracket. YOUR LOSSES DO NOT CARRY OVER SO IF YOU LOSE IN YOUR POOL ONCE AND MAKE IT OUT, YOU GET 2 FRESH LOSSES IN FINAL BRACKET.

General Rules
  • 3 Stocks
  • 8 Minute Time Limit
  • Items set to “Off” and “None”
  • Pause set to “Off”
  • Meta Knight’s infinite dimensional cape tactic is banned.
  • All infinites and chain grabs are legal.
  • There is a 35 Ledge Grab Limit for all characters. If a game goes to time and one player goes over the Ledge Grab Limit for their character, they will automatically lose the game. If both players exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then this rule is ignored.
  • The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites, chain grabs, or uninterrupted moves past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
  • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
  • If the Ledge Grab Limit does not declare one player the winner, the winner will be declared by what the game says in all situations, except for when players are presented with sudden death:
    • In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by who has less percent (stock difference still takes priority but will be shown in the results screen).
    • If the match ends with both players dying at the same time coincidentally, or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage. For a tie-breaker match, a Ledge Grab Limit of 15 is used for all characters.
    • If a match is ended via suicide move, the initiator of the move wins.
  • Any coaching that happens during the match (but not in between matches) is restricted. Players who violate this rule will receive a warning (BOTH the player AND the person coaching the player) on the first attempt. Players who violate this rule after a warning will be disqualified from the event and a possible ejection from the venue.
  • Players are to attend their matches at the designated times they are called. If you are late to a match, the following rules will be applied based on the amount of time:
    • If you are 8 minutes late: Results in a match loss
    • If you are 16 minutes late: Results in a set loss
    • These times will be strictly enforced to make sure that each player will enjoy the full event on a timely manner
Modified Doubles Rules​
  • Team Attack set to “On”
  • Double Meta Knight is banned
  • Life stealing is allowed
  • In the event of a game reaching the time limit, if a single player on a team exceeds their Ledge Grab Limit, that team loses. If one or more players on both teams exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then the Ledge Grab Limit rule is ignored.
  • In the event of a game going to time and the Ledge Grab Limit can not determine a winner and both teams have an equal amount of combined stocks, then whichever team has a lower combined percent is declared the winner.
  • If a player is using the character Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, or Sonic, either team may request that team colors be changed to make it easier to tell the difference between team players.Set Procedure
  1. Player Priority is determined if it can not be agreed on. (See below for details)
  2. Each Team selects one controller port to use for each Player.
  3. Each Team selects one character for each Player. A double blind pick may be called by any player.
  4. The first game is played on a Stage selected from the Starter Stage List either by mutual consent or through the Stage Striking Method. The order of stage striking will be 1-2-1 (Team 1 strikes one stage, followed by Team 2 striking two stages, with Team 1 then striking one of the two remaining stages).
  5. The first match is played.
  6. The team that lost the previous match may opt to re-pick controller ports (with themselves picking first).
  7. The Team that won the previous match may announce one “Stage Ban” if they have not already done so in this set.
  8. The Team that lost the previous match announces the stage for the next match from either the Starter or the Counter-pick Stage List. Any Stage named as a “Stage Ban” by the either Team may not be selected. No Stage may be used by a Team that has already won on that Stage in this set.
  9. The Team that won the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
  10. The Team that lost the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
  11. The next match is played.
  12. Repeat steps 6-11 for all proceeding matches.Determining Player PriorityIf there is a dispute in controller port selection or initiating Stage Strike use the following method: Teams will use a random method such as Rock-Paper-Scissors, Coin Flip, or Game and Watch Judgment, where the winner selects either first choice in port selection or first choice in stage striking. Whichever team does not receive first choice in port selection will be compensated with first choice in stage striking.Note: In Doubles, port selection is ordered 1-2-2-1 fashion (with Team-1 having first choice in controller slot select, Team-2 having both second and third choice, and the final slot going to Team-1).
[/COLLAPSE]
Starters
Smashville
Battlefield
Lylat Cruise
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Counterpicks
Battleship Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 1
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon

Placing well in this event and other qualifier events will earn you points, which seeds you better at Apex 2014. The top 8 players in the singles tournament at each event will earn points. The following is how the distribution of points will work:
1st – 128 points
2nd – 64 points
3rd – 16 points
4th – 8 points
5th – 2 points
7th – 1 point
Hotels
Contact information for questions.
GDX@GameDragonX (more likely to answer twitter)
MariaBattleaxe
ECU KoozyK

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
I'm excited. Havn't been to NC in quite awhile

If you guys have any questions about the tourney make sure to contact me, Maria, or Koozy. Lets make this the best south qualifier yet

Also, I will have a setup on hand for AE v2012 and SFxT for PC so bring your arcade sticks/pads if you play

IMPORTANT: Bring setups for all that is holy in this world

EQUALLY IMPORTANT: Do not forget to pre register. It's free, its quick, and it'll help us tremendously in setup and making sure things run smoothly as possible https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1qZ8-DkZTArrf0ZvqdY9Yho33iqgbQyEE7faQoS9sFT4/viewform

Mariabattleaxe

Smash Ace
Like GDX said, I can answer any questions through pms here or through my email. It's easier for me to help with transportation, housing, and concerns sooner than later. If any questions come up, contact one of us 3 right away ^_^

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
Will certainly go if my schedule is light enough, no way to know right now though, school's crazy.
Sounds great though

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
$12 venue fee? Da ****?

:018:
its a weird number yea. But its mainly there to encourage people to bring SOMETHING to the tourney. Plus, its a two day event, so its going to be higher than most 1 day events. Also the venue fee is for the entire weekend, so you don't have to worry about paying it per day or anything either :laugh:

Also guys don't worry about if there will be too many things brought to the tourney. The venue is 4k square feet so theres plenty of space so bring what you can. ( and again someone please bring arcade sticks to play AE or SFxT with me im mediocre at them but I just wanna play so bad )

clowsui

Smash Legend
So let's talk about this being a 1 day event instead...I think that you could easily do it even w like 90 people :)

GDX and I were talking about this briefly too. I know I'd prefer a 1 day event since I live in Gboro lol, and while OoS probably doesn't care either way since they have to stay a night, I know that classes tend to place exams or important things right before thanksgiving break and such so a 1 day tournament would be p beneficial for a lot of us

Mariabattleaxe

Smash Ace
It's not just 90 people, it's a potential 100-150. We can not do a one day event with the time constraints. I'm really sorry, but that's not going to change.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
yo. Message me if you want VGBootCamp at this

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
2 months away? Yea I think we can get a sticky back now

Anyway, we are waiting on one more detail before we release some new information. Mainly the schedule, how pools will work, stream info, etc.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
A Few Quick Announcements
Just wanted to go over a few things real quick:
1. Brawl Doubles will be first, and it will be a simple double elim bracket.
2. Singles registration will end at the same time as doubles registration. That way, we can have singles seeded and ready to go by the time doubles is over, instead of a huge gap delay like alot of other tourneys have had :laugh:
3. Singles will be bracket pools, similar to how Apex 2013 was ran, and how Apex 2014 will run. If there are <= 64 entrants, then there will be 4 pools of 16, done in two separate waves of 2 pools at a time. If there are <= 128, there will be 8 pools of 16 done with 2 waves of 4 pools at a time. If > 128, then it will still stay 8 pools but we will adjust pools to size 32 as necessary
4. No matter how many pools there are (4 or 8), top 3 will get out. So you will have to play winners finals and losers quarters. The person that remains in winners of their pool will get a bye in the final bracket, while the two losers of their pool will have to play round 1 in final bracket. YOUR LOSSES DO NOT CARRY OVER SO IF YOU LOSE IN YOUR POOL ONCE AND MAKE IT OUT, YOU GET 2 FRESH LOSSES IN FINAL BRACKET.
5. Speaking of final bracket, all pools will be finished completely Saturday, and Sunday will be final bracket/friendlies only. Every single final bracket winners match will be on stream throughout the day, while losers matches will be off stream. For Saturday, we will have our pool TOs send out hype matches from various pools to be streamed throughout the day.
6. For all that is holy in this world, please bring setups. Not only do you get a discount off of venue fee, but we can have friendlies all day. Any setups over the count of 16 (including stream) will stay constant friendlies all day Saturday, and any setups over 8 will stay friendlies all day Sunday
7. Once we get down to the top 4-6 or so of the final bracket, I want to start streaming everything and close up all the other friendlies.​
8. I will have a setup on laptop that will have AE, SFxT, and Divekick, for anyone that wants to play me in either game (preferrably AE). Bring a xbox 360 or QANBA since they work on PC. PS3 may as well I dont know never tested it​
9. I hereby challenge anyone to $5 money matches in Tecmo Super Bowl for SNES
10. Get hype! and please don't forget about those setups they are crucial so people can get max practice at this before the Apex Qual​
If anyone has any questions/concerns/comments/suggestions, please just get ahold of me on facebook (Keith Kelly) or Twitter (@GamDragonX). Here not so much but even here I'll eventually see it​

Shwag

Smash Cadet
There's a bowling alley in the basement of the venue and games are .50 a game on Sundays. I'm taking all MMs up to $100.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
There's a bowling alley in the basement of the venue and games are .50 a game on Sundays. I'm taking all MMs up to $100.

like ***** aint nobody good at bowling you can MM yourself :laugh:

but more importantly, they got any good arcade games down there?

Top Bottom