• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

hf.lan 6 - December 14th, 2013 - Noisy-le-Grand, France

Slhoka

Smash Lord

December 14-15
Noisy-le-Grand, France

TL;DR information :

• December 14-15 (confirmed)
  • Near Paris, France
  • 64 players
  • Great venue, with a giant screen in an auditorium to watch finals
  • Free drinks
  • Amazing staff

The hf.lan series is back ! Since March 2011, this tournament series became a reference in terms of tournament hosting in France. All three events were unquestionable successes, each of them featuring improvements over the previous event : better players, more hype, more services... And this new edition will not be an exception ! Once again, we'll make our best to make this event close to perfection !

What is hf.lan ?
One of the best-run tournaments you could attend, awaited by all those who attended one of the previous editions. The reason for this is that it was one of the best-run tournament the French community has ever seen. Here's a short summary of what was done at hf.lan and will be there again :
  • A large venue (the tournament takes place in the canteen of a huge engineer school)
  • Many setups : the hf.lan series fits in the average TV/players ratio at French tournaments : close to 3. It means you almost never have to wait in order to play.
  • Free drinks during the whole event, including RedBull.
  • Free or really cheap food for the lunches of Saturday and Sunday.
  • Couches : in front of many TVs (not all of them), there were large couches to be comfy while you play.
  • The top 8 games will be played in a 400+ seats auditorium, on a large movie screen.
  • Cheap hotels near the venue
  • One of the most dedicated staff there could be.
So basically, the hf.lan is an amazing tournament series. Now for the practical information :

When ?
December 14-15, 2013

The venue is going to open on Saturday morning, and will close on Sunday evening. You can stay during the night.

Where ?
Noisy-le-Grand, France.
This city isn't far from Paris and easy to reach with the public transportation system.

The venue
ESIEE Paris
2 boulevard Blaise Pascal
Cité Descartes
Noisy-le-Grand

The venue is an engineer school, and a huge one that is ! We're using the canteen, which is really large and easily provides enough space. Couches are set in front of some TVs in order to play comfortably. In addition to the canteen, the auditorium will also be used for the most hyped sets. It has space for 400+ people, features a giant screen as well as a scene at the bottom for the players. You can see more pictures of the venue in the photo albums of hf.lan 4 and hf.lan 3

Who ?
In order to manage the event more efficiently, the ESIEE staff sets an attendance limit, which rose during the first 3 editions.
Just like singles at hf.lan 4 and 5, the Melee tournament is limited to 64 players.

However, to help international attendance, the staff considers setting up a quota reserved for international players.

The hosts
The tournament is hosted by the members of the school's gaming club. They do not enter de tournament, but play smash often and follow the activity of the international scene. While one might think that not being a part of the smash community could make them care less about smash players, the reality is actually the opposite. Their dedication is absolutely remarkable, and they always listen to the players' need to make the tournament a better experience. They will take care of the logistics, budget, and pretty much everything but running the tournament in itself.
That will be the part handled by LeFrenchMelee, the French Melee players association.

Events
The tournament will feature singles and doubles.
Singles : 64 players: 8 pools of 8 followed by a 32-man bracket.
Doubles : 32 teams: 4 pools of 8, top 4 making it to a 16-team bracket.

These are subject to change. An amateur bracket may take place for both tournaments, but isn't garanteed. Sadly, we won't have a Project M tournament. While we definitely support the game, we decided to focus on offering a perfect Melee experience for this tournament, and decided to drop Project M for that reason. However, a few PM TVs will be set up for friendlies.

Equipment
Our aim is one setups for every 3 players. It would mean 21 or 22 setups, and, it addition to helping the tournament run faster, it would allow everyone to find free TVs whenever they want.

Registration
Registration will take place on the HF-Lan website. It isn't open at the moment. Registration will open on November 18 at 8pm !

Entry fees and prizes*
*All fees and prizes are subject to change

Entry fees
Venue fee : 8€
Singles tournament : 10€
Doubles tournament : 7€ per player

Prizes
The pot should be separated as follows (in brackets, the amount assuming 64 players and 32 teams)
Singles :
1st - 50% (300€)
2nd - 25% (150€)
3rd - 15% (90€)
4th - 10% (60€)
5th to 8th - 10€

Doubles :
1st - 51% (100€ each)
2nd - 25,5% (50€ each)
3rd - 15,5% (30€ each)
4th - 8% (16€ each)
5th to 8th - 7€ each

Schedule
The venue opens on saturday morning, and closes on sunday evening. Detailed schedule is TBD, but singles should be played on Saturday, and doubles on Sunday.

Ruleset
The ruleset isn't ready yet, but it will be similar to what's usaully done at French tournaments.

Food, housing, and travel information
Food
The hf.lan staff serves free drinks, including red bull. Additionnally, they served hot dogs for 1€ at lunch, and sold pizzas for dinner. But there are also some shops in the neighbourhood where you can buy food.

Housing
On saturday evening, the venue will be open and you will be able to stay there. However, we will not have a sleeping room, and therefore, you're likely not to have a great night because of the noise or the light.
However, there are two hotels located less than 5 minutes away from the venue : the first one costs ≈30€/night for 3 persons, and the second one costs ≈65€/night/2 persons. It is strongly advised to book a bit before the tournament as last time, the hotel was full on the night of the tournament. Also, there are no showers at the venue.
If you need housing before or after the tournament, Parisian smashers may be able to help you. Please contact me if you need housing (see Contact section).

Travel information
The venue is located 500 m away from the RER Station on the A line. From there, a trip to Paris takes 20 mn and costs 4€. Please contact me if you need information regarding transportation : I'll help you choose the most convenient route.

Other games
hf.lan began as a multi-games event, including, Melee, Brawl, SC2, LOL, … and then, the list shrinked to keep the most active communities. hf.lan 4 will feature Melee and Starcraft 2. I don't have much information regarding the Starcraft event, but if you are interested, just ask and I'll get what you need.

Smash-unrelated interests
The tournament will not take place in Paris, but so close it is pretty much the same. Paris is a beautiful and very lively city, and sightseeing can be great there. If you plan to attend the tournament and want some information about great places to visit, make sure to contact me.

Updates
We will stream the tournament on LeFrenchMelee's Twitch account.
We will also make Twitter updates on LeFrenchMelee, the french community's Twitter account.

Contact

Slhoka
Check my profile for IM accounts, send me an e-mail, or ask me on facebook ! Make sure to contact me if you have any question.
You can also ask the question directly on the event's Facebook page !

Here are a few more pictures from the previous hf.lans so you can see what hf.lan 6 will be like :

Tero.

Smash Champion
Interested, trying to make it this time!

Edit: Could somebody maybe house me and Beat the night before (and maybe the night after - Friday and Sunday)?

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Interested, trying to make it this time!

Edit: Could somebody maybe house me and Beat the night before (and maybe the night after - Friday and Sunday)?
That'd be awesome.
As for housing, it has been harder and harder to find in Paris since Qlex and me left. But it could be manageable anyway, so I'll try to find that.
In the worst case, the hotel nearby is 10€ a night so that's not that bad.

Armada

Smash Lord
Me and Aniolas will try to come =)
It looks like the chances is pretty good for us.

A PM tournament should be added for sure!

Zoler

Smash Ace
Me and Aniolas will try to come =)
It looks like the chances is pretty good for us.

A PM tournament should be added for sure!
I'm also interested. I've said this for like three HF lan tourneys now, maybe this will be the one :D

Top Bottom