• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help me out, guys?

1+1=3

Smash Cadet
Hey, guys. So, I'm a Weeg main in all smash games. I'm a Project M main and my Luigi is pretty strong. I'm planning on entering a pretty big tournament that'll be Melee only and I want to know what I should watch out for/what I should be doing differently in Melee. I know that might sound dumb, but I mean like, the no USmash from dash. What are some other things that I have to do as Luigi in Melee that PM made easier?

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
Look at the Melee->PM changes thread and reverse everything: http://smashboards.com/threads/what-are-the-differences-between-melee-luigi-and-pm-luigi.365619/

As far as overall strategy goes, it's pretty much the same in both games. However, Luigi's physics are really different; you'll probably find them uncomfortable until you get used to it.

• Don't use Cyclone anywhere near as much.
• Don't ever dash attack or down tilt.
• Don't try to combo into misfire.
• Don't missile between stocks out of habit.

• You don't retain your momentum when you grab your opponent (you'll stop immediately if you were moving).
• You have 1 frame less to release the jump button to short hop, though this shouldn't be a problem with Luigi.
• You can't do the thing where you wavedash off a platform while holding shield to retain your momentum (and therefore fly really far).
• You can't RAR.
• You can't waveland fireball.
• You can't grab the ledge out of a missile.
• You can't drift after your up-B until you've fallen really far (almost as far as the distance the move sends you upwards).
• You can't rise from a grounded Cyclone.

• You can't get very much off a Cyclone, except maybe a tech chase sometimes. Even though it still clanks like it does in PM it's way less safe in general. Against fastfallers with bad DI at specific percentages, you can sometimes get a combo from it (second hit into up tilt/nair/down smash).
• Aerial up-B sweetspot is far more situational because of its lowered knockback. It kills roughly 10-20% earlier than a strong nair, depending on the situation.
• Your recovery options are a lot more limited.

• You can jump cancel your dash to up smash from it (in the same way you do to up smash out of shield).
• You can lightshield, which is something you should go out of your way to incorporate if you're going to be playing Melee at least semi-seriously. It's the kind of thing that can get overlooked easily.
• The invisible ceiling glitch exists.
• Habitually use a grounded Cyclone after taking a stock to charge it. Read this thread for details on how charging works: http://smashboards.com/threads/rising-cyclone-ptp-frame-data-guide.384946/

Last edited:

1+1=3

Smash Cadet
I've played Melee seriously a bit, but only as a side thing and I've been moderately successful. I know about all the obvious changes like no missile sweetspot and charge the Down-B, but as a PM main I don't know about/have to do certain things. For example, I don't know how to jump cancel an up smash. Would I be wrong in assuming that it's the same as a jump cancel grab? Also, what can I do with the invisible ceiling glitch? It's happened to me once, but they still got the punish on it. One last thing: how should I incorporate light shields?

Boiko

:drshrug:
Yes, you are correct. You just need to input the up smash within the frames of your jump squat. This is the same for up smash OoS.

Vist

Smash Champion
The JC usmash is essentially the same concept as the JC grab but the execution can be a little weird.

IMO, 9 times out of 10 a simple usmash via the cstick or smashing the control stick up + a is fine. When you need to do something wonky like a charged usmash OOS, then I would smash up on the control stick + immediately press and hold up on the c-stick along with Z to charge.

The invisible ceiling glitch isn't terribly useful and isn't exactly something you can directly control. When it happens, it's usually because you're getting interrupted by an attack while you were moving (i.e. fox usmashing you OOS after shielding your WD ftilt). IMO, it's just important to be aware of when it's likely to happen and probably just take note of the fact that if it's happening to you a lot, then you might be attacking someone's shield far too much in a fairly unsafe manner.

For light shields, you might want to use it when you're trying to get pushed away from an attack / projectile, have a really depleted shield, or if doing something OOS isn't really an option. I believe you generally have more shieldstun when you're lightshielding, although I have yet to see any specific information about the actual frame difference between a light shield vs a fully shielded attack. A light shield will do a better job of covering your hurtboxes, especially when your shield is getting low, but at the cost of not being able to retaliate OOS quite as easily.

Edit: Oh yea, a few more things I was thinking of since I used to play PM occasionally:

In PM, recovering is easier like Stride was saying. I always tried to recover like melee Luigi does, but I remember seeing other Luigis almost always double-jumping then using their down-b to recover. That works in PM, but is awful in melee. You almost always want to use your down-b before double-jumping and you don't get an added boost of height from doing the double-jump first. Also, I vaguely remember that (at least in earlier versions of PM) if you immediately used your down-b when you were recovering, it was extremely difficult to get any height off of it because of the momentum, so I tried to force myself to wait at times. You don't have to worry about that in melee.

Another thing is that in PM, I've seen Luigis use uair into all sorts of combos that would almost definitely not work in melee (like multiple uairs into aerial upb >___________>). Uair still has its uses, but it's definitely more of a combo move in PM.

Doing ledgedashes in PM used to be way less safe that it is in melee, so unless that's changed (or if I was just horribly wrong), try implementing ledgedashes far more often because you'll probably get more mileage out of them than you would have in PM.

One last thing, in addition to what I said about light shielding, I remember feeling like shielding in PM felt more or less the same as light shielding in melee with respect to being able to do wavedashes OOS etc. This might have been changed in one of the more recent updates, but I hated that feeling. Assuming that's still the case, I would suggest trying to keep in mind that you have more opportunity to punish an opponent for attacking your shield than you would in PM (i.e. WDing OOS into a grab or upb vs a marth fsmash against your shield).

Last edited:

1+1=3

Smash Cadet
Thanks, guys! One other thing though, are the inputs for a ledgedash in Melee any different than the inputs for PM? In PM I can jump from ledge and input a waveland, but I can't seem to do that in Melee.

Ka-Mitch

Smash Rookie
For a ledge dash the inputs are let go of ledge, so analog or c stick away, immediate jump and immediate waveland. If you jump with out letting go you will do the full ledge jump. Expect a lot of SDs before you get it down!

Last edited:
Top Bottom