• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help getting started

YungJudah

Smash Rookie
Is there any links to videos that you guys can share to help me get started. Also I saw in another thread to read flys guide and I can't seem to findit and idk if I'm just an idiot or what but can I get a link to that too?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Early on I'd watch a lot of old Chu dat matches and a bunch of Trail. They're old school ICs who have simpler easy to replicate styles.

Basically, my best advice would be to start by trying to replicate **** from old schoolers, then when you can do that stuff and understand how they play start watching the silver age players (Old 2008 wobbles, UberIce, Boback, Peef, etc) and try learning that stuff
Then move to the modern age climbers and learn all that **** (Wobbles, Fly, Tomber, nintendude, Dizz, etc)

Thats how I went about learning.
Keep in mind you cant just watch top level players either, its good to watch a lot of up and coming players who are closer to your level to see how they deal with things.

MagicScrumpy

Smash Journeyman
I like to watch matchups where my main loses pretty handily to help identify the degree of certain weaknesses and to see how said weaknesses are exploited.

It feels much more helpful to take notes on mistakes rather than trying to copy all of the sick stuff other players do and wonder why you're getting punished.

Serperior

Wobbler
Just practice, study videos and read up on guides,basicly just check out the resources that were linked in posts above ,good stuff there :cheep:

MagicScrumpy

Smash Journeyman
I also like to watch lower-level Ice Climbers videos. For me, it isn't too helpful to go watch Fly or Wobbles and constantly ask myself, "Okay, what the **** did he just do?" I like to watch the stuff with the more accessible (for a lack of a better term) strategies and tech skill stuff.

IC-Rambler

Smash Cadet
With Ice Climbers, it's often fun to just try to mess around with them yourself, and try to figure a couple things out yourself. Now, I love studying ICs and really putting hours into guides and tutorials. But what really got me hooked on ICs was just seeing what I could come up with on my own just playing around with them. Then I watched videos and read guides that blew my mind on what people discovered. I think this practice helps your fundamental understanding of ICs.

Also, do what the above people said.

quibbloboy

Smash Rookie
Here's a link to a playlist with Ice Climbers tech and such:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7BD937B6485B5117

And here's a link to Fly's guide (it's also stickied in the Ice Climber's board if you need to refer to it again):
http://smashboards.com/threads/varokaa-heikkoa-jäätä.317195/

Happy climbing!
This is really good stuff. But can anyone tell me how much of it applies to PM? I've been getting into PM IC's lately, but those boards are pretty dead and info is scarce in general. As such, I'm learning mostly through the Melee Ice Climbers resources out there. I feel like most of it transfers aside from stuff involving dair, ledges, and whatever other changed stuff is listed on their ssbwiki page. But is there anything you wouldn't immediately suspect?

Smasher89

Smash Lord
PM ICs has lost the control of brawl ics, has a very wierd up b range and doesnt seem to have a real punishgame comparable to melee and brawl, they seem unviable in that game from what ive tested (since other chars have very good stuff, and ics dont even have a strong punishgame),But dont let that discourage you, maybe theres some stuff that they got that has to get discovered even though the pm developers dont seem to want them get played.

Other then that for melee ICs, i would recommend old chu vids first, then newer vids from fly , and then the 2007-8 wobbles vids when you feel its time to work on a harder punishgame.

Last edited:

quibbloboy

Smash Rookie
PM ICs has lost the control of brawl ics, has a very wierd up b range and doesnt seem to have a real punishgame comparable to melee and brawl, they seem unviable in that game from what ive tested (since other chars have very good stuff, and ics dont even have a strong punishgame),But dont let that discourage you, maybe theres some stuff that they got that has to get discovered even though the pm developers dont seem to want them get played.

Other then that for melee ICs, i would recommend old chu vids first, then newer vids from fly , and then the 2007-8 wobbles vids when you feel its time to work on a harder punishgame.
Yeah, I've kind of noticed what you're saying about them not having a punish game. It seems almost unreasonably difficult to get anything really good off of, well, anything. I'm cautiously hopeful that attaining really good control over the desynced pair of them could lead to a better combo game, e.g. using both Climbers to kind of trap someone and keep hitting them back and forth without letting them get away. Or something. I guess that's a pretty braindead description of combos in general, but I'd like to believe it's more possible than it feels right now. There's also the fact that Nana throws people as soon as she grabs them which makes handoffs tough. In any case, I main high-tier characters in the other Smash games I play, so I might as well play a low-tier character in the game where tiers matter least of all.

I'll definitely take your advice as to watching those videos. Thanks!

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
My biggest problem with PM ICs aside from the super nerfed grab game has always been that their movement is waaay clunkier, slower, and they just don't control the ground as much as they did in melee.

The slower movement on the ground also gives them a lot more trouble with combos in general.

On top of that, I feel as though they just don't have any of the crazy options that are the best option in any given situation that all the PM high tiers have, which just makes them so horrible in comparison to the rest of the cast.

The only pm ic I know is fumbles. I would recommend watching him.

Top Bottom