• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help get me started playing the ICs

Pistallion

Smash Cadet
Hey, so i'm new to the ICs and and want to try them out. I'm not a new player whatsoever, been playing for years, played back in the mlg era and came back beginning this year, so I know the basics along with advanced tech and terminology. I just never played ICs as a main. All i'm looking for is what techniques are important as a base. I plan on getting more advanced techniqes with the ICs in a couple weeks, but right now, i just would like to know the desynch techs and other basic ideas for the ICs just to get started. I will look through the guides on here, but right now its a little too much info for a player just tarting out on the ICs

Smasher89

Smash Lord
For basic fundamentals, check chus old videos, for more up to date fundamentals, check fly play, for techskill(rushdown) and hard punishes watch wobbles "old" videos.

Encephalon Decay

Smash Cadet
Plain and simple, experiment: Get back down to the very basics. Get a "feel" for the knockback and power on each moves. Figure out what comboes into what. After that, I'd go with what Derf said, add in the chaingrab knowledge, and finish it off with learning SoPo (Seriously, this is important. Fly pulls some clutch stuff because he's got a solid SoPo, but I feel you should at least have the fundamentals before you learn it). After that, go your own pace: Pick what you wanna learn and learn it!

Last edited:

Mr. S

Smash Apprentice
I'd start off by learning chaingrabs and the like, but stay away from infinites like wobbling and the handoff until you get accustomed to the Icies a little bit more. I've seen a good few Ice Climbers players who don't do much more than fish for grabs and try to wobble for days, and the handoff is kinda situational and ridiculous in execution. Like everything else the Icies have, wobbling and the handoff are tools, and they should be treated as such. The Ice Climbers have a sick dthrow cg on a lot of characters (SoPo has it too, but you'll be forced to tech chase a whole lot of characters. You don't have to tech chase Sheik until something like 60% though lol).

Also learn applications for moves. Ice Climbers suffer from lots of lag on a lot of their moves, so learn to press buttons intelligently rather than quickly. Learn applications for stuff like down smash, forward tilt and forward smash. Those are some bread and butter moves.

On top of that, learn some easy desyncs, like spotdodge, rolling and up-b OoS. Learn some desync applications.

Desync stuff

Also, SoPo is vastly different from having both Ice Climbers. SoPo is free to waveland and dashdance all over the place. He's almost like a crappy version of Captain Falcon lol

Top Bottom