• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hello. I have some questions for all the luigi Mains (Singles and Doubles)

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
My brother wants to start playing luigi in melee which i'm really excited about. I browsed online to get him started for some guides but i wanted to know what guide would be good for him to start of besides the typical training stuff (which i will teach) but more so advanced tech.

Another question i have is about Luigi in teams. For those of you who use him in teams. Do you play aggressively or defensively?

Thomdore

Smash Cadet
Luigi videos that is relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK4K556f4TI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzh-wwsoI6A

For doubles I think of Luigi more of a "support" kinda character. His approach options is not that great, but he can definitly stand back and react too everything that get thrown back by the agressor. He can also go very quickly in if the agressor get's in trouble. He have very few way too save his teammate offstage, other than run off without useing the DJ useing the downB as a saveing tool and useing DJ too get back, also jab/dtilt if teammate get edgehogged. His lack off killpower is made up for by his quick way too rack up dmg, and strong combo game. Haveing a teammate with a strong ariel attack is what I see as optimal teammate for Luigi since he sends character vertical with like 4-5 moves (Sheik/Falcon). One of the biggest problem is probably that he leave his teammate hanging a long time, since he got a pretty slow recovery makeing the 2v1 last a while.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
Luigi videos that is relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK4K556f4TI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzh-wwsoI6A

For doubles I think of Luigi more of a "support" kinda character. His approach options is not that great, but he can definitly stand back and react too everything that get thrown back by the agressor. He can also go very quickly in if the agressor get's in trouble. He have very few way too save his teammate offstage, other than run off without useing the DJ useing the downB as a saveing tool and useing DJ too get back, also jab/dtilt if teammate get edgehogged. His lack off killpower is made up for by his quick way too rack up dmg, and strong combo game. Haveing a teammate with a strong ariel attack is what I see as optimal teammate for Luigi since he sends character vertical with like 4-5 moves (Sheik/Falcon). One of the biggest problem is probably that he leave his teammate hanging a long time, since he got a pretty slow recovery makeing the 2v1 last a while.

Hope this helps
This is some fantastic information actually. My brother is going to be teaming up with me. I do play Yoshi he has a high aerial game and i wasn't really certain how to approach.

sskylann

Smash Rookie
Thomdore Thomdore pretty much has the doubles part spot on. It is difficult for Luigi to approach in teams due to how much he moves with his wavedash, and in teams there are so many hitboxes flying around its easy to get hit. Its a good idea to just take it slow, and wait for the opening from the other side of the stage.

You can normally get away with a lot of Luigi's gimmicks tho in teams. Just play a bunch of matches and see how you feel is the best way to play Luigi in teams!

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
okay so i'd be taking on the aggressive role which is fine. Yoshi has Parry of course and since luigi can pile on damage well. it'll be up to me to finish them of per say. This has helped out a lot. Thanks to the both of you.

Matchup wise is there a thread that can be used to determine who luigi is strong or weak against?

Thomdore

Smash Cadet
Hard too determine which matchups are the hardest for Luigi, people have different opinions.
I can write my imo list from easiest->hardest in the top 8 (for NTSC): Falcon->IC->Jiggly/Falco->Fox/Marth/Peach->Sheik
I play PAL, and Sheik is probably in the Fox/Marth/Peach region there. It's hard too determine which of the 4 is hardest for Luigi. Play a good player with any of those characters, and feel the difficulty.

sskylann

Smash Rookie
Yea matchups are pretty arguable. Normally it is agreed upon that the top 4 (fox, falco, shiek, marth) are Luigi's worst matchups. I'm curious on why Thomdore Thomdore thinks Peach is harder than fox/falco. (I'm talking about NTSC)

Thomdore

Smash Cadet
Peach have a great edgeguard on Luigi, turnips harassing him offstage and floating out and knocking him out after SideB. For recovering low it is easy too spot for peach, she can grab ledge, or dsmash right over the ledge makeing sweetspot UpB extremely hard.

For neutral, you can't let her pull turnips..forceing you too approach. Her ariels have really high priority and little endlag...makeing punishing her whiffing requires most times a read/quick reactions. Combo Peach is hard and she's living for so long, you need more openings in neutral than her (on high level).

Anyway, this is just an opinion giving her such a "good" matchup against Luigi, but it doesnt seem easy @ highest level of play :)

Last edited:

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
Peach have a great edgeguard on Luigi, turnips harassing him offstage and floating out and knocking him out after SideB. For recovering low it is easy too spot for peach, she can grab ledge, or dsmash right over the ledge makeing sweetspot UpB extremely hard.

For neutral, you can't let her pull turnips..forceing you too approach. Her ariels have really high priority and little endlag...makeing punishing her whiffing requires most times a read/quick reactions. Combo Peach is hard and she's living for so long, you need more openings in neutral than her (on high level).

Anyway, this is just an opinion giving her such a "good" matchup against Luigi, but it doesnt seem easy @ highest level of play :)
Now one thing i've been training on is catching midair turns (especially when recovering) Do you think it will be beneficial towards luigi using this same strat? I'm sorry that i'm asking so many questions. it's all for my brothers sake.

Thomdore

Smash Cadet
I think catching turnips can be benefitial in some situations, so it should definitly be practiced. May be better to drop it asap rather than throw it back tho since Luigi's throw speed is rather slow :)

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
I think catching turnips can be benefitial in some situations, so it should definitly be practiced. May be better to drop it asap rather than throw it back tho since Luigi's throw speed is rather slow :)
I'll keep that in mind thank you very much.

Top Bottom