• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Hee-Ho! This is my big hee-chance, ho!" (Jack Frost for Smash DLC)

Solar Crimson

Smash Cadet
NNID
SolarCrimson
3DS FC
1504-6082-4629
(This may be a bit late, since the ballot ends in three months)

"Hee-ho! It's everyone favorite mascot here, Jack Frost!"

Who is Jack Frost?

"A frost spirit that appears during the winter and melts away in spring.
He is made of ice and snow, but do not be fooled by his cute demeanor. Jack Frost freezes people with his cold breath, smiling all the while. He originally looked like an abominable snowman, but he may have changed form, the better to freeze people.
"
Devil Survivor 2 Compendium

Jack Frost is a demon from the long-running Shin Megami Tensei series of games. He is a frost fairy, named after the figure in English lore that brings winter. Despite his cute looks, Jack Frost is not one to be taken lightly, as he will freeze those who angers him to death.

Jack Frost has been with the series since its second entry, titled "Megami Tensei II", though he took on his more familiar appearance in the following game, "Shin Megami Tensei". As the mascot of the series, he appears in some form in every Megami Tensei-related game, which is not something that most other demons can claim. Not only that, but Jack Frost even had his own game, a Virtual Boy title called "Jack Bros.", which he co-starred with his "brothers" Pyro Jack (called "Jack Lantern" in the localization of said game) and Jack the Ripper (called "Jack Skelton" to avoid associating the game with the serial killer). This game is notable in that this was the very first Megami Tensei-related game to ever be released outside of Japan.

Not only that, but Jack Frost has also appeared in a number of anime adaptations of various SMT titles, including "Persona 3 the Movie", "Shin Megami Tensei: DeviChil", and even made a cameo along with Pyro Jack in the anime Joshiraku.

There are also a number of demons based on Jack Frost's design as well, giving Jack Frost a very large family of related demons. These demons include: King Frost, Black Frost, Frost Ace, Raiho, the Frost Five, Lucifroz, Strawberry Frost, and Petit Frost.

Jack Frost also serves as the mascot of series developer Atlus, and has even made small cameos in some of their other games, including "Etrian Odyssey" and even the upcoming "Genei Ibunroku#FE", where his likeness appears on the sign of the Hee-Haw Mart.

What Can He Do?

As mentioned above, Jack Frost can use all sorts of ice-based skills. However, due to the nature of the SMT series and its Demon Fusion, Jack Frost can use all sorts of skills, even fire-based ones if there are no restrictions on skill inheritance. Aside from those two, Jack Frost can use lightning-, wind-, and "almighty"-related skills (almighty being an element that with few exceptions always pierces elemental defenses), as well as various physical, support, and healing skills.

Of course, in Smash, he'd more than likely focus on the ice part, especially since with the Ice Climbers out, that's a niche that he can fill. His Neutral Special could be like Robin's in a way, in that it starts with Bufu for a quick Ice projectile, but can charge into its stronger Bufula and Bufudyne variants. Down Special could be Mabufu as it appears in the Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha games, in which he spins snow around itself. Up Special could be a wind-based skill such as Magaru/Mazan that calls upon a tornado to carry him upwards, or it could be a downward Glacial Blast that releases a torrent of ice below that propels him upwards. Alternatively, Mabufu could serve the same function as Magaru/Mazan as the Up Special, and the Down Special could be a support skill such as Tarukaja (attack boost), Rakukaja (defense boost), or Sukukaja (accuracy and evade boost, which in Smash could be a speed boost). In fact, all three could be custom moves of each other or could all be the same move that one would swap through (such as with Shulk's Monado Arts), though of course they'd each need a drawback for balance purposes (attack+/defense-, defense+/speed-, speed+/attack-; like with the equipment), as well as a cooldown period to prevent spamming. However, I feel that this would be encroaching too much on Shulk's territory.

The Side Special could be Dream Fist, which is a damaging move with the chance of inducing sleep. In Smash, to set it apart from Jigglypuff's sing, it'd do damage, but have no knockback at all and only hits opponents right in front of Jack Frost.

Alternatively, Jack Frost could also be teamed up with Pyro Jack in a way similar to Duck Hunt, giving the "Jack Bros", as they'd be called, a playstyle that blends fire and ice together. In fact, aside from the Jack Bros. game, the two have been teamed up before in a few games.

The Final Smash has a number of options. Assuming that we're sticking with Jack Frost alone, he could transform into either Back Frost or Frost Ace, making himself larger and more powerful. A Lucifroz transformation is also possible, but this may cause religious issues that Smash seems to want to avoid (especially concerning a real world figure such as Lucifer). Jack, or the Jack Bros., could also call upon King Frost to unleash the powerful Cold World skill upon the battlefield and freeze/launch all those it hits. Or the Jack Bros. could both unleash their powerful Mabufudyne and Maragidyne skills together to both chill and burn their foes out of the arena.

Why Should He Get Into Smash?

Admittedly, this is somewhat of a long shot. Sakurai did mention before that he didn't just want to bring just any third party character into Smash Bros, and with the previous third party choices, it's clear that he's looking for the more iconic characters. However, with support topics here for other more lowkey characters (particularly some that haven't even released in Japan), even Jack Frost has a chance if he gets enough support.

Shin Megami Tensei is one of the bigger traditional RPG series in Japan, number three behind Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy. That's pretty good, considering. Not to mention that, unlike Snake, the SMT games have seen continued releases on Nintendo platforms. It even started out on the Famicom, and most of the latest games have been found on the DS and 3DS consoles (including the latest mainline series game, "Shin Megami Tensei IV). In fact, nearly all of the recent non-Persona SMT games have been released on Nintendo platforms (this depends on how you want to count "Catherine", though), and the 3DS also got a Persona title last fall. Combined with the crossover of concepts with Fire Emblem, "Genei Ibunroku#FE", and it's clear that Atlus has continued support for Nintendo.

There may also be concerns if Jack Frost would be a Atlus character or a Sega character, considering that Sega Sammy now owns Atlus. As far as I know, both Sega and Atlus are their own brands and there is not much crossover between the two. Plus, with Ryu in, having two characters from the same company is no longer a big deal.

Jack Frost may not be a gaming icon (yet), but he is still a star in his own right, with the popularity of the SMT series in Japan, and the growing popularity abroad (mainly due to Persona).

Also, how can anyone resist the temptation of pitting Jack Frost against that other monster mascot, Pikachu?

Let this topic be dedicated to the idea of Jack Frost appearing in Smash, either through DLC, or perhaps the next Smash game. For those of us who are fans of the SMT series, or for those who wouldn't mind seeing a cute but mischievous snowman joining the roster with Nintendo's greats.

The Frost Fans
Solar Crimson
Agent Emerald
Azure Warrior
slambros
SnowmanEX711
Chromvoy
ryuu seika
SSBCandidates

Last edited:

Agent Emerald

Smash Journeyman
What is going on here-ho?

Add me to supporters, and I'll whip up a moveset in a bit!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
As a true Shin Megami Tensei fan that doesn't whine about "muh cutting edge" and "Persona sucks!", I might as well say that I support. Jack Frost is one interesting fellow and having a demonic snowman fight Mario would be pretty funny.

Agent Emerald

Smash Journeyman
Moveset time!

Normals
Jab: throws a punch, than another, and ends with a small icicle shooting out of one of his palms.
Ftilt: Does a roundhouse kick, kinda like Kirby's.
Utilt: Does a wave, with an icy trail following his hand.
Dtilt: conjures up a tiny snowball which rolls foward a bit from him.
Dash: Does a roll, scooping people up for multiple hits.
Fsmash: does a wind up punch, similar to Wario's F tilt. At full charge, a small Ice explosion covers the fist, which can freeze.
USmash: creates an icicle that spins like a drill over him.
Dsmash: Freezes the ground around in an area about half of Shulk's down smash. Has a chance of Freezing.

Aerials

Nair: Does a somersault.
Fair: does an icy palm thrust.
Bair: a cold backhand.
Up air: A horizontal headbutt.
Dair: makes an icy explosion below him. Stalls Jack for a bit.

Specials

Neutral: Bufu
A charge move similar to Robin's thunder, as bufu charges, it changes.
No charge: Bufu. A small ixce explosion in front of Jack that does light damage and a low chance of freezing.
Some charge: Bufula. A larger explosion with a slightly higher chance to freeze.
Med charge: Bufudyne. A glacier rises up in front of Jack.
Max charge: Mabufudyne. A blizzard forms in front of Jack and slowly moves forward for a few seconds.

Side: Ice breath. Blows out a gust of icy air, and works like an icy version of Bowser's fire breath. Fros also gets a small pushback when using it.

Up: Sonic Punch
A standard charge punch special. On the ground, it keeps going and stops at a ledge or wall. In the air, Mall retains sons of the momentum at the end of the move. Can be angled., and above hit by it will move in the same direction as Jack.

Down: Rakukaja
Jack does a couple of twirls, and is covered in an aura that alternates between reducing enemy damage and knockback.

FINAL SMASH: JACK BROS. ALL OUT ATTACK

A black line will streak across the screen similar to the bolt that comes out when you land a fatal attack. If sometime comes into contact with the bolt, they will be vacuumed in front of Jack as the line splits, revealing a cut in for an all out attack! Jack Frost is joined by Pyro Jack and Jack Skelton as they pummel the anyone who was caught, ending with an explosion blowing everyone away. The explosion can hit anyone who wasn't caught by the streak.

Grabs

Grab: reaches out with an icy hand
Pummel: punches them with his free hand
Fthrow: shoves the opponent
Bthrow: does the classic spin around and thow back
Up throw: Launches the opponent with an icicle up the behind
Dthrow: Does a silly dance on top of the opponent.
There we go.

Last edited:

Solar Crimson

Smash Cadet
NNID
SolarCrimson
3DS FC
1504-6082-4629
Moveset time!

Normals
Jab: throws a punch, than another, and ends with a small icicle shooting out of one of his palms.
Ftilt: Does a roundhouse kick, kinda like Kirby's.
Utilt: Does a wave, with an icy trail following his hand.
Dtilt: conjures up a tiny snowball which rolls foward a bit from him.
Dash: Does a roll, scooping people up for multiple hits.
Fsmash: does a wind up punch, similar to Wario's F tilt. At full charge, a small Ice explosion covers the fist, which can freeze.
USmash: creates an icicle that spins like a drill over him.
Dsmash: Freezes the ground around in an area about half of Shulk's down smash. Has a chance of Freezing.

Aerials

Nair: Does a somersault.
Fair: does an icy palm thrust.
Bair: a cold backhand.
Up air: A horizontal headbutt.
Dair: makes an icy explosion below him. Stalls Jack for a bit.

Specials

Neutral: Bufu
A charge move similar to Robin's thunder, as bufu charges, it changes.
No charge: Bufu. A small ixce explosion in front of Jack that does light damage and a low chance of freezing.
Some charge: Bufula. A larger explosion with a slightly higher chance to freeze.
Med charge: Bufudyne. A glacier rises up in front of Jack.
Max charge: Mabufudyne. A blizzard forms in front of Jack and slowly moves forward for a few seconds.

Side: Ice breath. Blows out a gust of icy air, and works like an icy version of Bowser's fire breath. Fros also gets a small pushback when using it.

Up: Sonic Punch
A standard charge punch special. On the ground, it keeps going and stops at a ledge or wall. In the air, Mall retains sons of the momentum at the end of the move. Can be angled., and above hit by it will move in the same direction as Jack.

Down: Rakukaja
Jack does a couple of twirls, and is covered in an aura that alternates between reducing enemy damage and knockback.

FINAL SMASH: JACK BROS. ALL OUT ATTACK

A black line will streak across the screen similar to the bolt that comes out when you land a fatal attack. If sometime comes into contact with the bolt, they will be vacuumed in front of Jack as the line splits, revealing a cut in for an all out attack! Jack Frost is joined by Pyro Jack and Jack Skelton as they pummel the anyone who was caught, ending with an explosion blowing everyone away. The explosion can hit anyone who wasn't caught by the streak.

Grabs

Grab: reaches out with an icy hand
Pummel: punches them with his free hand
Fthrow: shoves the opponent
Bthrow: does the classic spin around and thow back
Up throw: Launches the opponent with an icicle up the behind
Dthrow: Does a silly dance on top of the opponent.
There we go.
Looks great!
Surprising that you went for an All-Out attack for their Final Smash, though. But I guess that's one way of acknowledging the Persona series in Smash.

SnowmanEX711

Smash Cadet
Put me down as a supporter, since I think Smash really needs a good ice-based fighter since I don't think were gonna get Ice Climbers back anytime soon.

Although I am a bit skeptical on how people would feel about adding him. As already stated, he isn't as popular as other third party characters and I think his chances are pretty low seeing how he originates from a mostly M-rated series.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
I've always wanted to see Frost join. He'd be pretty perfect as a fighter, and at least he has being the Atlus mascot on his side.
I'd be for his Final Smash turning into Black Frost, complete with the animation of him fusing with Jack the Ripper and Pyro Jack. (Or whatever fusion they feel like using). If not, at least give a Black Frost color swap.

Newcomers also seem to come with a stage, or at least we can infer they do, so i'm curious what they'd bring with him. Probably the HeeHaw mart :troll:

Solar Crimson

Smash Cadet
NNID
SolarCrimson
3DS FC
1504-6082-4629
I neither know nor care about Shin Megami Tensen but, as the only decent character in Snowboard Kids DS, I certainly wouldn't be against Jack's inclusion. Also, please fill me in on this Jack fusion thing.
Fusion is a big part in the SMT series. Unlike in Pokemon, it is not recommended to keep demons around for too long, since their experience is scaled depending on their base level (such as, a base level 10 demon would need FAR more experience to reach level 20 from level 19 than a demon whose base level is 19 would need). So, it's recommended that you fuse your demons into more powerful demons. Fused demons can inherit skills and even some stat modifiers (depending on the game) from its "parent" demons, and fusion is key in creating very strong demons (some demons can only be acquired through fusion).

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Add me to your list as well. If a SMT rep gets in, it would highly be him. Flynn may come close.

Solar Crimson

Smash Cadet
NNID
SolarCrimson
3DS FC
1504-6082-4629
Flynn would definitely be a good choice as well, though for the SMT MCs, I'd like it if they'd be able to summon demons for their attacks as well. Since both Flynn and the Demifiend can use magic, I'd imagine that their specials would emphasize their magic abilities. As opposed to the MCs of SMT1, 2, if..., and Strange Journey (though the SJ MC likely wouldn't get in anyway due to his heavy association with military firearms).

Top Bottom