• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hawaii smashers where you at?!?!

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Ironically, I'm the only Smash player I know down in Ka'u... -_- (Besides my sister, who gave up back in Brawl because of my 95% win ratio against her. XD)

Megaman and Wii Fit...! Yeah, they can be annoying, but I really feel like they have much lower chances than a lot of other characters, barring the surprise factor of their general rarity. Megaman has a chance though, his projectile game is annoying as heck to deal with. I can say that I've been beat by some really good MM players before... WFT... Not so much.

Darn, I better really get on McDolo's case so that he gets back to practicing. He's played MH4U long enough, time for him to take up the C-Stick once again. All else fails, I'll just have to get gud. :coolmonke: I feel like my :4shulk: isn't half bad right now, but I need to pick up a solid secondary for when things get really rough... I actually used to be crap with :4fox:, but I went through a phase where I would "handicap" myself and play only Fox against some of the less skilled friends of mine... Which actually made me learn a lot more about the character. I also played Greninja for a while, but he just doesn't seem to have what it takes... idk what's missing.

BTW, this talk of being "supreme champion" reminded me of something... What about Jeff? :troll:

Phungi

Smash Cadet
NNID
bigfork24
JEFF! Yeah he was from Cali and was only here to visit. so without him I think im secured as top 3 on the island.Maybe not supreme island champion, but atleast top 3.
:4megaman: and :4wiifit: are both really intricate characters who are known as not top tier. So I thoght it would be fun to play as them in our local tourneys. But now that I know how good Mcdolo is, im going to start up some better characters. My :4marth: is actually really Frickin good right now. But im thinking of:4falcon::4fox::4dk::4metaknight::4mario::4olimar::4zss::4sheik::4jigglypuff::4bowserjr::4duckhunt: right now. Im figuring it out right now. but these characters are all very likely from me. strongly debating these chars.
But yeah, you should for sure play shulk, he is super intresting. And i played against a really good shulk a couple days ago on for glory, and it gave me some much needed strats. he bodies me frist game, even next game, then i got under his skin and started destroying him. But if Mcdolo is as good as people are saying. it should be a good battle. But we can't forget about Thomas, He is our second best player here, and he is really really good if he is on tilt. Like i would say me and him are 60-40 in our matches.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Ah, that would explain why I didn't see him last Sunday...

That's a wide range of characters you got there. Only a few of them really terrify me to fight, but I've put a lot of effort into learning the MUs against high tier characters. Honestly, DHD drives me up a wall sometimes with his insane camping skills.

Like I said though, don't start expecting McDolo. I haven't even seen him this semester... (That said, my schedule is pretty packed.)

Yeah, there are some truly epic Shulk players out there. The best one I've played goes by the name TrueSapphire, and I could barely even take a stock off him in dittos. A great Shulk should be feared and respected, I'll say that much. I'm highly drawn to technical characters like Shulk and Robin, and often that's my downfall, since I don't even have my fundamentals down perfectly yet. Who were you using against that For Glory Shulk, if I might ask?

Yeah, Thomas is pretty good. I still remember at 4PGC how I first lost to you, then got pitted against Thomas. xD Ironically, my Greninja was doing fairly well against his Pikachu until I realized tap jump was off. (herp derp) That really showed me how a lot of characters have much better ground games than air games.

Also, if you have the 3DS game, I'd be more than willing to trade FCs a spar a bit sometime.

Phungi

Smash Cadet
NNID
bigfork24
Yeah, i dont play much duck hunt, but im debating picking him up. Im really really debating on more like 5 or 6 of those chars.
:4falcon::4metaknight::4dk::4marth::4fox:, so dont worry about duck hunt man. I playes that shulk guy with fox, and then with falcon. my meta knight would have ruined his life though. Yeah man i feel bad for you, you had a really hard bracket at the tourney. How was your bracket at this last tourney? good or bad?
:4miibrawl: But yeah, Greninja is kinda bad in my oppinion. He was my very first main when smash 4 for 3ds came out. He was almost op then, thats why. But after the tsunami of nerfs, I stopped. He was just so bad, his neutral just isnt very good in my oppinion. He is very playable, at low level and high level. But he is just not what he used to be.
:4miibrawl: And also, just dont mind my typos, i know about them, i just really dont want to spend time fixing them.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Fox is actually considered a very bad MU for Shulk. More so than MK. Falcon... just requires superhuman patience. Most Shulk players end up engaging Falcon at the wrong times, and get combo'd to purgatory and back for a single mistake. Likewise, Shulk's strings on the Cap' aren't too shabby either. It all comes down to who's better in that MU.

Ironically, whenever I come across MK in For Glory, my Shulk usually wins, with only occasional, close losses.

My bracket seemed alright. I wouldn't know for sure though, my knowledge of the players in Kona is limited. Ryan, for instance, seemed like he was pretty good, but I won, so idk. Round 2 opponent was easy though. Round 3... Again, I should have been smarter. And my loss in loser's... ugh, why did I try switching to Robin so late in the tourney. Next time, I hope to do better. Even with Greninja's buffs from last patch, he still lacks much. Double Shuriken off SH isn't that amazing, and one combo throw isn't moving mountains...

Phungi

Smash Cadet
NNID
bigfork24
Yeah Ryan is a good player. doestn he play like lucina or something?
If you want my full, honest oppinion. Drop greninja and get a different faster main. Because you have robin and shulk, you should get a rush down character, such as,:4falcon::4fox::4metaknight::4pikachu::4pit::4sheik::4sonic::4littlemac::4feroy::4zss: they are all really good, besides like mac and roy. But yeah, unless greninja gets a buff, than he is just not very good.
But if you get good results with greninja, than keep at it. I dont know your greninja game.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
No, he didn't play Lucina against me. I can't remember who the second character he played against me was, but one match was ZSS. I also saw him play Duck Hunt for a couple matches later on, so I guess he's kinda flexible...?

Yeah, I already dropped Greninja, like, almost 2 months ago. Pit kinda intrigues me, but I have more experience playing Fox. Roy is just stupid for me... -_- I have him, but he just feels wrong, I like playing characters that are a challenge to play.

Being laid up with a cold, I went back and cleared All Star on hard with Mii Brawler and Roy. :troll:

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Things are starting to line up for me nicely. Got my new place with wifi, and a photographer friend told me he could bring me up to Kona for tournament while he takes some pictures. All this is pretty good motivation to start practicing again, although I can only practice on 3ds.

Honestly I have no idea who my best character is right now, but since I don't get real practice much I'll probably stick to the character that I maintain the most balanced curve with, which would probably either be Samus or Falcon.

When is the next tournament?

Phungi

Smash Cadet
NNID
bigfork24
The next tournament is Probably the last sunday of this month. That is when they are going to be from now on.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Wow, neat!
By Samus do you mean Power Suit or Zero Suit?

I'm playing around with Pit and Fox, trying to see who suits me better. Currently, Fox is better, but that is because I already play him casually with friends. That said, I never heard of Pit being called a rushdown before... You ain't trollin' me, are ya?

Well, if you might be going this month, Code Bread, then I'll really have to hope I can work ahead enough to make it again. I better keep practicing...

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Can't guarantee I'll be going. It depends on how things line up. I play Power Suit Samus. Don't like the feeling of Zero Suit at all.

Phungi

Smash Cadet
NNID
bigfork24
Well if you look at the full cast, i would consider pit on the offensive side of characters. Maybe not rushdown, like fox or metaknight or falcon. But he is on the offensive side more than the defensive.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I would say Falcon is a more defensive character, considering how much of his meta revolves around baits and punishes. Rather, he's kind of the most defensive of offensive characters.I've never seen an effective Pit, though, so I don't know how they play.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
I've ran into only a couple effective Pit players... And they are a pain to deal with. >.< The rapid hitting disjoints are a massive pain, and those jumps make for a deadly air game. Guess those wings aren't just for show. :p In any case, Pit is particularly bad for me as a Shulk player since those multi-hit aerials nullify aerial Vision. (Vision is interruptable in mid-air.) For being offensive, though, it's ironic that he has two projectile-reflecting moves, a very defensive trait.

Yeah, Captain Punish is annoyingly good at the defense. If he even had slightly worse frame data or speed, he wouldn't be such a headache, but be that as it may, his weaknesses lie elsewhere. *coughsheikcough*

Fox takes a ton of good timing to use. I keep missing my UAir follow ups after throws. >.< Nice to see a Samus player, she really gets heavily underrated, particularly next to her armor-less alter-ego. Though, I could be wrong, since a lot of people on the net call ZSS "Zero Skill Spamus". :p

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
lawl Zero Skill Spamus. imo ZSS is overrated and Samus is underrated. Samus has a lot of great defensive options and her combo game is actually hella good (despite what people say). What throw do you use with Fox to get uair follow ups? As Fox I usually use dthrow > dair at low percents and at high percents I use uthrow because it's easier to bait airdodges. I also love getting tech chase usmashes with Fox, one of the most satisfying to get. I think Fox's follow ups are extremely dependent on how his opponent DI's.

Last edited:

Phungi

Smash Cadet
NNID
bigfork24
Yeah, :4falcon: is super punish based. So whenever I get a read with falcon, I take it really really far. You kind of have to. I have been ressurecting my ols falcon, and he is better than ever. I have already gotten alot of gifycat combos. I love Falcon.
:4fox: On the other hand is incredibly good if you have quick reactions, good control of your character, and fast fingers. I am now dropping fox, but he is really really really good. With that 60-90ish percent nair to upsmash confirm.... Dang that thing is really good agaisnt pikachu. and he has super good combos if you are fast. He also has a good neutral, due to his insane speed. His down through is usually into fair. But DI ing it is incredibly easy. So foxes grab combos are not amazing.
My :4diddy: Has actually somehow gotten mad good recently. Like really really good. He is super underrrated in my oppinion. he has lots of grab combos, banana stuff is insane. and he is super fast. Plus, he will prbably get buffed. Which is a huge plus.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I picked up Diddy after his mass nerf, ironically. He's still really good, people just look at his nerf without looking at him in a vacuum.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
lol, Diddy is far from underrated. He's gotten a lot of nerfs lately, but he's still a force to be reckoned with. I personally don't like apes being in the game, but them's the breaks. Yeah, your Cap is scary. Maji kowai desu ne...

Well, unfortunately, you probably won't have to worry about McDolo... I finally ran into him yesterday. When I brought up Smash, he was all like "yeah, I'm always down for Smash!" Then I brought up the Kona tourneys... and he got a funny look, saying "nnn, can't they come here?" He was smiling, but it was clear. :/ He's also getting into Guild Wars, so... idk.

However, there's gonna be a Project M tourney at UH Hilo on October 17. I'm not confident enough in my PM game to attend, but who knows. It's there if you guys wanna go.

Man, Pit really is fun to use against Little Mac. Especially since Mac's smashes have super armor and Pit's Upperdash Arm has super armor. Arrows space him out, sideB launches him skyward, and downB can gimp Mac out of recovery.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I'm a fan of apes in the game. DK was my main as a kid in 64 and he's always been a joke pick for me in every game, plus Diddy was my Brawl main until I adopted the gamecube control again, then Olimar just had better flow for me.

I'm not concerned with how I do; I'm definitely going to the PM tournament. Hopefully they don't put up a venue fee cause I'm broke ass.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Oh, well, um, let's see... I guess... The truth is... There's gonna be a $5 entry fee.

In any case, I'm torn about the >new< 3DS finally getting a regular sized release in NA. I want it so bad, but currently it will only be bundled with the new Animal Crossing game. >.< And I don't wanna pay $210 when part of that is for a game I won't play. Then there's the upcoming Zelda >new< 3DS XL... Maybe I will just get the XL... And I want that C-stick.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Afaik the $5 entry fee is for entering the tournament, not the venue.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Considering it's at UH Hilo, I don't think there will be a venue fee. That would just be stupid... And I think all us students pay enough tuition that we have a right to have some fun in a room at College Hall.

Since you say you have a fairly good level of experience with Project M, @ Code Bread Code Bread , I was wondering, what is your opinion of Charizard and Ike in PM? I was playing around a bit last night, and kinda liked the feel of those two.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Guy who posted the tournament on facebook said no venue fee because the purpose of the tournament is to bring in new/casual players.

I haven't played Charizard for a few patches, so I don't know if he's been nerfed or buffed for the past half year. But his survivability is great because of his heavy weight and glide mechanic. Uthrow kills lighter characters ~70% I think, which is pretty nuts, and nair has one of the jankiest hitboxes in the game. Insanely hard to get around it. I think once you get to a higher level of play Charizard becomes more volatile since smarter players using faster characters can really dance around him (Fox, Sonic, Metaknight, etc). His combo game on fastfallers is great, since I believe jab, ftilt, and dthrow all pop people right above him with. He's one of those characters where you have to understand him well or you look like the filthiest casual. I'm not a huge Charizard fan in PM because I just don't feel like he has a lot of options, so I don't have any real tips for him.

Ike is kind of like Charizard in that you have to understand him well, the major difference being with Charizard, if you don't know him well you just look silly, whereas with Ike if you don't understand him well you straight up die. Because he's slow and has a large hurtbox he's an easy target for characters with any kind of mobility. That said, he's obviously quite strong and has amazing disjoints, and his Quickdraw mechanic actually gives him an insane spacing tool/gap closer/combo game that insure that you can dance around others and they can't dance around you. Quickdraw is actually probably what makes him such a mechanically intensive character, so if you get that down you're pretty much golden. Since I started playing Ike more in sm4sh I've become a much bigger Ike user in PM, but I'm still learning how to use the Quickdraw effectively. I can say, don't underestimate nair. It comes out way faster than fair and is a crazy combo tool. I don't feel like it's utilized enough.

Those are my opinions of the characters at least. I don't know how spot on they are but I would like to think I know them well enough.

Phungi

Smash Cadet
NNID
bigfork24
Yo I remember your :dkmelee: in melee, I think it beat Michael. lol.
But yeah, I dont think ill be going to the PM tourney, i have been on a hardcore smash 4 grind lately with some homies, in preparation for mcdolo. I Love :4falcon: in smash 4, once he goes in it is the most satisfying thing in the world. His grab combos are nutz. I constantly find myself losing in the beginning and getting behind by around 60 % at the beginning but still having confidence in the match, because im Falcon. Usually end up winning, becaue it meeses with people when The Cap gets in there head.
I have also dropped :4fox: Almost completely, he was good while he lasted, but im just not good enough to go ham with him often.
:4mario::4kirby: Are fun though........
BTW the next tourney is in about 2 weeks, tell Mcdolo.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
@ Phungi Phungi , I guess I gotta re-quote my post:
Well, unfortunately, you probably won't have to worry about McDolo... I finally ran into him yesterday. When I brought up Smash, he was all like "yeah, I'm always down for Smash!" Then I brought up the Kona tourneys... and he got a funny look, saying "nnn, can't they come here?" He was smiling, but it was clear. :/ He's also getting into Guild Wars, so... idk.
I doubt McDolo will go, I told him about those tourneys, and it's just such a far drive. Especially when he's being pulled to other games at the moment...

I myself am highly unlikely to go this month, unfortunately. My homework is pretty heavy right now, and shows little sign of lightening. Not to mention I have a big test on Tuesday the 29th, two days after the tournament. I mean, anything can happen, but don't hold your breath. :/

In other news, my Shulk absolutely destroyed a Sheik on FG. That was fun.

Phungi

Smash Cadet
NNID
bigfork24
Yo, Guys the tourney is this sunday if you guys want to show up. You should, Because i just played you hilo guys online and you are good Code Bread Code Bread .
This tournament will probably be the toughest competition in big island smash 4 history. But thats a maybe, it could be just another win for me :067:. ButI really hope more people come this time. Especially Brian and mcdolo

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I didn't actually play you this weekend, that was Justyn and Tristan I think. How did they do? Cause I can beat them in 1v1's so if they did good enough then I can probably hold up at tournament. Thb I'm doubting I can go to the tournament tho.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I would bet money Justyn's not going. Same with Nick. And they would be my ride so I need to figure some magical way out.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Seems highly unlikely that I'll be going. :( I have a fair amount of homework, and two tests to study for... That said, one of them probably doesn't need studying, but still. I've been getting more practice in lately, thanks to my friends. Whenever I do get to come, watch out, I have a mean footstool game.:luigi: I'm starting to feel like Shulk is versatile enough to be used in 90% of the MUs... But that could just be me. I'd love to try my Shulk against your Sheik, Phungi Phungi .

If I don't make this tourney, hopefully I can go to the PM tourney next month. idk... I've got a lot of friends going to that one.

Phungi

Smash Cadet
NNID
bigfork24
yo, The tournney had a good turn out. Not the best, but it was almost all of the good west side players (Almost). The bracket during that tourney made me realize why seeding was ivented. atleast the terrible bracket made it perfect for me to make a round one losers run.
Also thanks to the absolute trash pit bracket, The grand finals was some absolute destruction. It was the hypest grand finals to happen yet. Slaughter house thanks to the good old:4falcon:. I have not shown off my dominance over a player more in my life. Wish you could have seen the 5 F-smash in a row roll reads. I was so deep in his mind. it was crazy.
So basically, moral of the story is, I want to face anybody who thinks they can beat me. Because right now I am declaring myself best on the island. And if any body thinks im not. Bring it.:drflip:

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Yeah, I really think we gotta get Joshua into seeding... We have three tourney results now, I think a rough seeding can be done now. Thomas getting 8th was a real surprise to me.
I kinda felt bad for Daniel at the end there, though I feel he could have tried a bit harder. I see a pattern in myself where I start to lose my strategic capacity as the tournament wears on. When I fought you and Trent, I noticed that I took until almost until my first stock was gone to stop going for aerials on every airborne approach.

Brendan, I think I can beat you. After several tries, and many failures, and only inconsistently. :troll:
I'm working my way up on Hilo side in the meantime. I've got a decent win rate against roughly 75% of my friends there, and I hope to get to fight McDolo and Brian soon. I'll let you know if I best them.

Also, patch hype! Seems like a lot of customs are getting rebalanced, and I'm happy for a 3DS version of Duck Hunt stage now. Finally, I can practice!

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I don't know how practiced I am but I would say I can beat you just for the chance to play you :upsidedown:
Maybe one day if you ever come to Justyn's again we'll get to play.

I would also remind you that I took you to last stock over 150% in Shiek dittos and lost because of an offstage dair, while rarely playing Shiek and extremely out of practice :troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll: but it's been months since then and I'm sure you've gotten better and I've gotten worse.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Code Bread Code Bread , I just noticed how you spelled Sheik's name as "Shiek". Can. Not. Unsee.

Duck Hunt is distracting. It's easy to lose focus and start trying to snipe ducks instead of foes. :p

Man, the way McDolo was talking yesterday, you'd think he's a washed up has-been. >.< He's out of practice and he knows it, yet it doesn't seem like he wants to do much about it. He still plays, just not with an eye on competition, I think. At this point, Bryan might out pace him... And he clearly isn't interested in playing Shulk anymore. He feels that Shulk just plain isn't good. :O Duke, why you do this to me?
It appears he has picked up Jigglypuff alongside his Ganon. Did Jiggly always have such a strong Bair...? It was scary yesterday... And that Mario Maker stage is quite interesting. It even has walkoffs sometimes!

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I always get the spelling confused, so now I go for whichever I type at the moment as correct. And by nature, the "i before e" rule is correct to me.

Jigg's bair is good and strong; a great kill move. But it's much harder to hit than previous iterations, and fair/nair are much safer options.

Haven't tried or seen the Mario Maker stage yet, so no idea what it's like.

Phungi

Smash Cadet
NNID
bigfork24
Yeah, Cody I remember that sheik ditto. It was so long ago though. Ive changed so much. Like my playstyle, I cant wait to play you as soon as possible. You are probably one of my main competitors in smash 4 on the island. Especially if you kept up with practice.
But yeah, i want to play against mcdolo and brian still. Just to prove my self

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
You wouldn't believe how much trouble it is for me to pin down anyone, esp. Brian and Duke, for 1v1 matches. Usually, someone else hops in to ruin the 1v1 and make it a FFA... But I have that same "prove myself" mentality.

Just wait, Brandon, Imma keep practicing, and I will take a game off you one of these days. :064:

Last edited:
Top Bottom