• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hardware Enhanced Melee: Proof Of Concept

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Imagine knowing what moves were used the most to kill in a game of Melee. Imagine having every single input from a competitive match shown on screen for players to see live. Imagine the wealth of knowledge that could be gained from the game taking all of the data from top level matches.

This idea is coming closer to being a reality. Fizzi with the help of achilles1515 and SinsOfApathy has created the proof of concept for hardware enhanced Melee. While this is just a beginning glimpse of what it could be the applications look to be very exciting. Give it a watch and see what the future of competitive Melee could look like!

SmashCapps would absolutely love to see this become something with widespread use and can only imagine the potential of this as a project. To share in this excitement be sure to come chat with him on Twitter.

Last edited:

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
Nah, just don't credit me even though I'm in the description :(

Last edited:

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Maybe add something about how much % was "lost" to stale moves?
And Number of projectiles fired/thrown, Time spent in shield, and Missed L-Cancels/Techs.
Too many possibilities for this.

SDFox

Smash Apprentice
I have wanted a input counter for melee, like the one in MvC3

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Imagine that... Now imagine a lot of hidden techs that aren't discovered yet waiting to be discovered. It would take a while, but since it's still old, it's still very impressive

Keeseman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Keeseman
3DS FC
2251-4754-4791
Do other games and their communities have this, like Marvel or Street Fighter? I think Marvel has an input detection thing, but I think it's only in training mode.

If not, this could be near revolutionary for the fighting genre in general.

RevolverTurtle

Smash Rookie
Do other games and their communities have this, like Marvel or Street Fighter? I think Marvel has an input detection thing, but I think it's only in training mode.

If not, this could be near revolutionary for the fighting genre in general.
Most fighting games do, but they're usually limited to the designated training modes afaik.

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
Absolutely sexy.

It'd be cool to see this sold as some weird memory-card-computer thing. I'm not too sure what to call it, lol.

Last edited:

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
Tafo will absolutely love this, more statistics comming his way!

RevolverTurtle

Smash Rookie
Also, In Tekken there is something called Hit Analysis IIRC, what it does is it shows whenever you are prohibited from making a new input by shading your character in red.
E.g. you input Fox d-smash, and for the remainder of the animation you can't move, Fox is shaded red until you can move again.
Or for example Links f-smash, Link is shaded red when it's too late to input the second slash.
It would also be the same for hitstun, techs, etc.
Not sure exactly how applicable it may be here, just thought I might as well put it out there.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Ideas :

Stats:
-Damage dealt by projectiles over the course of a stock/match
-Combo damage (and not just combo length)
-Damage dealt between when you land a hit and when you take a hit, on average (another important stat for combos with lots of resets)
-Amount of moves of each type, including things like dashes, jumps, shield drops, etc...
-%age of techs missed, of L cancels missed, of shield stabs, etc...

Other features:
-Replays. Like in Brawl, you could record inputs and play them back. All of them. Maybe even use this in training mode like other fighting games ?
-Publishing the stats in some kind of online database

Killem

Smash Rookie
NNID
Imfappin
3DS FC
3067-6040-7700
Switch FC
5654 5358 1016
You could have a ledge count so we could actually enforce the ledge stall rule

Budwiser

Smash Cadet
So basically a super in-depth game logs. In my opinion, for the friendly side of melee, this would be kinda like a fun thing to mess with to see who can do something better. For the competitive side of melee, this could become like a statitistics thing where everyone can compare one another and see who does better in certain aspects.

Last edited:

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
This is crazy. I have never even considered the possibility of Melee being dissected in such a useful way - to the extent that we could lock setups and all upon sets ending. That just seems so...cool. Blowing my mind right now.

Last edited:

L!ver

Smash Cadet
NNID
Livastyle
Self running stream setup...
I just developed a software which automaticly uploads the VOD's right after they happend, with correct title etc.

Now, when even the stream setup can handle the scores, names, etc by itself, well....

I'll become unemployed XD

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
How powerful of a computer would you need to be able to display two sets of inputs at a rate of 60 per second (four sets of inputs for 2v2 matches) for up to 8 minutes without crashing?

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
How powerful of a computer would you need to be able to display two sets of inputs at a rate of 60 per second (four sets of inputs for 2v2 matches) for up to 8 minutes without crashing?
Not much I'd imagine; I'm no computer whiz, but the information should just be sent to the computer as a bunch of numbers and data. People already stream on run-of-the-mill laptops with 1-2 controllers on display; it's something that the average person can setup. Not sure about Teams, but if the data is on the smaller end, doubling the amount shouldn't cause any big issues.

This could also easily be solved by just having two computers on scene - one for streaming, one for the calculations, if either the wifi/data is causing the other too much trouble.

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
4 sets of inputs is only 64 * 4 bits or 16 bytes. Match time itself is only 2 bytes.

The prototype was pushing data at a rate of 1 byte/write with a loop for data larger than 1 byte. EXI supports 4 byte writes. Plus the EXI writes out at 32MHz. The Gamecube's Single-Core CPU was only 485 MHz and the average Dual-Core laptop CPU today runs at 2.7GHz. The Arduino Due in the prototype is like ~95MHz.

So yeah. Not that powerful of a computer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom