• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Harder to learn than CF?

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
Being the noob that I am, all I know is that Captain Falcon requires a decent amount of tech skill to use properly, but how about these guys? Their someone who I'd like to use, but I feel like my playstyle wouldn't suit them, I like to usually go in and attack head on, but these guys have me interested, so any tips from a vet?

IC-Rambler

Smash Cadet
ICs are extremely technical, but not in the way you would initially think. The character specific techniques ICs usually use in competitive Melee arent as fast or hand-tiring as fox, but they are often very precise and very... weird. There's a significant learning curve to learning ICs, mainly due to the fact that there are two of them, and one of them is an idiot. To be proficient with ICs, you need to put in a significant amount of time in the lab to just grind out all of the various IC tech (and there is a lot.)

As far as playstyle goes, ICs can sometimes play on the aggressive. But the playstyles of the ICs are SUPER matchup dependant, you can't just play one type of playstyle for everything. Usually ICs don't have a choice for how they play a matchup, they just have to work with what options are given, which differ pretty greatly depending on who your playing.

They're very wacky, unorthodox, and often, they can be very frustrating. But IMO, they're the most satisfying and fun character in the game. Off of initial impressions, you don't seem like the kind of player to really enjoy ICs (most don't). But that's just my judgement. I'm not always right, so feel free to prove me wrong. If you want, go ahead and check out some of the beginner guides in this forum and mess around with the ICs for yourself. I got into ICs after tinkering with them for a while trying to figure out how to wobble. Haven't stopped tinkering with them, lol

derdian

Smash Cadet
As someone that mains IC's and secondaries falcon, I would say that the raw tech skill of falcon is way harder. On the other hand, using all of IC's different techs and options in certain matchups and situations efficiently is more difficult than with falcon.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
With falcon it's much easier to learn what to do.

ICs have to approach the game very differently than any other character, the way ICs work in neutral and their options in general are very difficult to process.

On an absolute basic level, I would say falcon tech is more difficult, but once you start getting into the really advanced stuff, IC tech gets crazy. Both characters require a lot of control and consistency.

I think as a whole, falcon is much much easier to learn than ICs, but both characters are very difficult to use correctly.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
If you want to play a easy character, pick falcon, all you need to know is the percentage of the up and dthrowmixup, and decent techchasin, and to never really approach.
If you want a character with a ceiling higher then mount everest, pick ICs. What makes ICs very unique is since they are 2, they get very dynamic and you can basicly do watheaver you want as long as you put some thought into it, which is also why you can see alot of different playstyles being successful.

Top Bottom