• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Guide/Unofficial] How to install Project M for Dummies.

Rothuith

Smash Cadet
Well hello everyone! After this latest PM release, there has been a lot of confusion on how to install PM, the official website has some good instructions but many people have been having problems, so I wanted to create this guide to help people out.

Friendly reminder from me and the Project M team:

The Project M, team does not support piracy, and the officially supported methods all require a legitimate copy of the game. Additionally, the Project M team does not support any modification to the Wii system, and encourages users to use the "Hackless" method of loading.
Use of this material is, at all times, "at your own risk." If you are dissatisfied with any aspect of the material, any of these terms and conditions or any other policies, your only remedy is to discontinue the use of the modification. In no event shall I, the website, or its suppliers, be liable to any user or third party, for any damages whatsoever resulting from the use or inability to use this modification.
Requirements to play PM:
  • The downloads are for NTSC Brawl Discs and Wii's only. Japanese users, http://projectmjp.toypark.in/downloads.php.
  • PAL users: there is currently no release for PAL.
  • Your SD card must be less than or equal to 2 GigaBytes (2 GigaBytes PNY SD Cards don't work because they are actually 4 GigaBytes) in capacity to use hackless Project M. If you are running homebrew, any capacity is okay.
  • Note: The Project M installation includes both music and textures as part of the standard package. If you have custom content on your card, it will be overwritten.

Also, many people would like to know the differences between the fullset and wifi, this is extracted from the PM website:

The Full Codeset takes advantage of all that Project M has to offer. However, for WiFi and replays to function properly, the WiFi-Safe set must be used. The WiFi-Safe set does not differentiate between L/R lightpress and full press or have C-stick buffering, nor does it have Stock Control or Stage Strike. The PMBR recommends you play with the Full Codeset unless you're specifically using WiFi/Replays. You may switch between these two builds simply by replacing RSBE01.gct, the menu2 folder, and the system folder.
Note: Make sure you delete every single custom map including the ones that Brawl comes included with.

This guide will be divided into four parts; how to install PM hackless with Wifi, without Wifi, and how to install PM homebrew with Wifi, without Wifi.

How to install PM hackless without Wifi:

1. Format your SD Card to FAT32 (this will delete every single file on your SDCard, if you need instructions to format here they are:

Windows: http://www.wikihow.com/Format-an-SD-Card (Do not use Quick Format)
Mac: http://techchannel.radioshack.com/format-sd-card-mac-1661.html (Use the FAT Volume Format)

2. Download the hackless fullset: http://projectmgame.com/en/download/dl.php?f=hackless_full

3. Install the hackless fullset extracted archive to the root of your sd card, the root of your sd card should look something like this: http://imgur.com/ccYXdjc. (Background.png file is removed from PM since 3.0. Boot.elf and /private/ have been removed since 3.5.)

4. Boot up SSBB, go to Vault > Stage Builder.

5. Enjoy.
How to install PM hackless with Wifi:

1. Format your SD Card to FAT32 (this will delete every single file on your SDCard, if you need instructions to format here they are:

Windows: http://www.wikihow.com/Format-an-SD-Card (Do not use Quick Format)
Mac: http://techchannel.radioshack.com/format-sd-card-mac-1661.html (Use the FAT Volume Format)

2. Download the hackless wifi: http://projectmgame.com/en/download/dl.php?f=hackless_wifi

3. Install the hackless fullset extracted archive to the root of your sd card, the root of your sd card should look something like this: http://imgur.com/ccYXdjc (Background.png file is removed from PM since 3.0. Boot.elf and /private/ have been removed since 3.5.)

4. Boot up SSBB, go to Vault > Stage Builder.

5. Enjoy.
How to install PM homebrew without Wifi:

1. Download the homebrew fullset: http://projectmgame.com/en/download/dl.php?f=homebrew_full

2. Install the homebrew fullset extracted archive to the root of your sd card. (It will ask you if you want to overwrite the apps folder, hit yes to all. Once done you should have a folder inside the apps folder called projectm.

3. Boot up your HBC, the Project M launcher should be there, boot up and enjoy.
How to install PM homebrew with Wifi:

1. Download the homebrew wifi: http://projectmgame.com/en/download/dl.php?f=homebrew_wifi

2. Install the homebrew wifi extracted archive to the root of your sd card. (It will ask you if you want to overwrite the apps folder, hit yes to all. Once done you should have a folder inside the apps folder called projectm.

3. Boot up your HBC, the Project M launcher should be there, boot up and enjoy.

Last edited:

Rothuith

Smash Cadet
Troubleshooting:

I will try to cover as most problems PM has on install here, but I can't have a question and answer for every single problem, if your problem is not posted here, feel free to join us at the IRC (http://irc.lc/gamesurge/projectm), I normally frequent here but other members may help you out, just drop by for a question, to thank me, or to say hello! :)

Before reading or asking for help, read this:

1. Most of the fixes to PM are just to re-format your SD and to re-download (make sure your SDCard isn't PNY for hackless method).
2. It is recommended you delete all stages that you have on your game, even the ones Brawl comes included with.
3. SDHC cards don't work with hackless.
4. It has been noted that really old Wii's (really, really old) need to be updated to latest version to work with PM.
5. Make sure you extract the downloaded .zips to a folder, open that folder and copy everything inside to the root of your SD Card, if you're a homebrew user, it will ask you if you want to replace files, hit yes and proceed with installation.

Question: After installing PM to my sd-card, every time I go to my stage builder nothing happens.

Answer: I would try to format the sd-card and re-download, make sure your sd-card is 2gbs or less if you're hackless.

Question: Every time I use [insert move here] with [character name here] my Wii crashes. (This also applies to stage freezes, as well menu freezes.)

Answer: Your PM could probably be corrupted, this could be due to modifications or just a bad download, I would recommend to delete your current PM build, download a new one and install.

Question: My SD is not being recognized by my Wii/Brawl.

Answer: Make sure your SD Card is not called 'projectm', or anything similar. Make sure your SD Card is 2GB or less using Hackless method, also be aware that 2GB PNY SD Cards don't work, because these are actually 4GB. If nothing work, try booting up vBrawl and saving a picture to the SD, if it doesn't work well your SD Card could not be working correctly with the Wii.

Bring in the questions! The more questions I receive the more info I will have here.

Last edited:

MrGameCrazy

Smash Cadet
Nice guide. Could you add another one about updating Project M as it's been using a new launcher since v3.01?

DexstarGAMER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DexstarGAMER
To play the newest Project M u must to put it in your Wii?? Because i played the 3.0 in the Wii U...and i read your post 2 times and u checked everything, i downloaded the Wi-fi safe 3.2 but the same problem is happening (black screen after choose the Play option)

MadScience

Smash Rookie
I'm having a problem with the launcher. When I press "Play" I get a black screen and it never transitions to another screen. It just sits there for hours. Even after following the Hackless and without Wifi guide, I still get the same problem.

I can't connect to Wifi with my Wii because my internet requires username AND a password which the Wii doesn't support. When I check the "About" tab on the launcher it says "unknown" for the PM Version and Codeset portions.

I have a 2GB SD card, it's not named Project M or anything like that, it's not locked, all my custom stages have been deleted, and all the files are on the root of the SD card.

Rothuith

Smash Cadet
I'm having a problem with the launcher. When I press "Play" I get a black screen and it never transitions to another screen. It just sits there for hours. Even after following the Hackless and without Wifi guide, I still get the same problem.

I can't connect to Wifi with my Wii because my internet requires username AND a password which the Wii doesn't support. When I check the "About" tab on the launcher it says "unknown" for the PM Version and Codeset portions.

I have a 2GB SD card, it's not named Project M or anything like that, it's not locked, all my custom stages have been deleted, and all the files are on the root of the SD card.
If I were you i'd head to the IRC, help there is much easier, the link is found on the second post.

If I were you, i'd try this:

1. Download again.
2. Re-format.
3. Try again.

How old is your Wii anyways? I've seen people who have problems with really old Wii's.

To play the newest Project M u must to put it in your Wii?? Because i played the 3.0 in the Wii U...and i read your post 2 times and u checked everything, i downloaded the Wi-fi safe 3.2 but the same problem is happening (black screen after choose the Play option)
I would try what I suggested above to the fellow member, drop by the IRC too, help is much easier there.

MadScience

Smash Rookie
If I were you i'd head to the IRC, help there is much easier, the link is found on the second post.

If I were you, i'd try this:

1. Download again.
2. Re-format.
3. Try again.

How old is your Wii anyways? I've seen people who have problems with really old Wii's.
I've redownloaded and reformatted a few times now. I'll try the IRC again, but last time I went nobody was responding. My Wii is pretty old though.

DexstarGAMER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DexstarGAMER
Ok i will download it again, and try again i will tell you if it works..:lick:
Ughhh!!! The same thing is happening!! I tried again, the name isn't project M i downloaded no homebrew Wi-fi safe then the winrar stuff appeared i moved those files to my SD car, i put Brawl, then again on the Menu i put play and the screen is black again!!! :mad::mad::urg:

MadScience

Smash Rookie
Ughhh!!! The same thing is happening!! I tried again, the name isn't project M i downloaded no homebrew Wi-fi safe then the winrar stuff appeared i moved those files to my SD car, i put Brawl, then again on the Menu i put play and the screen is black again!!! :mad::mad::urg:
I asked a guy on IRC and he said I needed to be connected to the internet so it can update. I haven't checkd if it works because I need to buy the LAN adapter, but I'll hope it works.

REverSouL

Smash Rookie
I ran into a problem no one else seems to get. So here is the deal I'm loading Project M 3.02 on the homebrew the PM loader will come up and then I select play the screen goes black for about 30sec. and then I just get taken back to my wii menu, any idea what is going on here?

Fenrir

Smash Ace
NNID
FenrirW0lf
3DS FC
3523-2051-9785
I asked a guy on IRC and he said I needed to be connected to the internet so it can update. I haven't checkd if it works because I need to buy the LAN adapter, but I'll hope it works.
There are ways of manually updating by gathering the correct firmware files and installing them with homebrew programs via your SD card, but it probably would be safer to just get the LAN adapter and update that way.

Rothuith

Smash Cadet
How old is your Wii? Try updating it to latest version and try again.

I ran into a problem no one else seems to get. So here is the deal I'm loading Project M 3.02 on the homebrew the PM loader will come up and then I select play the screen goes black for about 30sec. and then I just get taken back to my wii menu, any idea what is going on here?
Did you try downloading again? Make sure your projectm folder goes inside the /sd/apps folder.

For some reason some people can't get it to work, I recommend a manual update, every other incoming update should be done by the launcher. Anyways, did you try to do what I told you? We should coordinate to talk to each other via IRC so I can help you out easier.

DexstarGAMER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DexstarGAMER
How old is your Wii? Try updating it to latest version and try again.

Did you try downloading again? Make sure your projectm folder goes inside the /sd/apps folder.

For some reason some people can't get it to work, I recommend a manual update, every other incoming update should be done by the launcher. Anyways, did you try to do what I told you? We should coordinate to talk to each other via IRC so I can help you out easier.
Is not a Wii is a Wii U and i played the version 3.0 in the Wii U but i downloaded the 3.2 and that problem is happening...

Pabmyster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pabmyster
is anyone else having the problem of trying to switch from wifi safe back to full set? i had trouble switching from full to wifi safe, but managed to figure it out, and now that wifi is down I tried switching back. I used every method I could think of (except for formatting because i have all my Hb stuff on the SD too) i even redownloaded and completely deleted the old files. It doesn't let me strike stages still and doesn't differentiate between light and full press, even though my launcher says I have the full version. Any thoughts?

*edit* nvm figured out the code file in the root was supposed to be replaced :p

Last edited:

Eben Hilton

Smash Rookie
When launching the application Project M, I get to the main screen (including Play, About, Update hence forth) but when i click play it will go to the wii main menu and im not sure why this is
Troubleshooting:

I will try to cover as most problems PM has on install here, but I can't have a question and answer for every single problem, if your problem is not posted here, feel free to join us at the IRC (http://irc.lc/gamesurge/projectm), I normally frequent here but other members may help you out, just drop by for a question, to thank me, or to say hello! :)

Before reading or asking for help, read this:

1. Most of the fixes to PM are just to re-format your SD and to re-download (make sure your SDCard isn't PNY for hackless method).
2. It is recommended you delete all stages that you have on your game, even the ones Brawl comes included with.
3. SDHC cards don't work with hackless.
4. It has been noted that really old Wii's (really, really old) need to be updated to latest version to work with PM.
5. Make sure you extract the downloaded .zips to a folder, open that folder and copy everything inside to the root of your SD Card, if you're a homebrew user, it will ask you if you want to replace files, hit yes and proceed with installation.

Bring in the questions! The more questions I receive the more info I will have here.

Pabmyster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pabmyster
When launching the application Project M, I get to the main screen (including Play, About, Update hence forth) but when i click play it will go to the wii main menu and im not sure why this is
Sometimes this happens when the Wii doesn't read the Brawl disc (If you're using the launcher with home brew) so i just eject the disc and put it back in again/ clean it

chaoanaya

Smash Rookie
I need help because my wii reads brawl' s disk, but when I boot of homebrew and load project m it keeps on sending back to the home menu and know it's the not disk because I had hackless version a couple of days ago and that was working fine. Also it was working for one time for me when I redownloaded it =/

Last edited:

DexstarGAMER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DexstarGAMER
Emmm I´ve already done a post about that and i really don´t know if this is on-topic (Sorry if it isn´t) but do you guys know how to convert MP3 file to BRSTM??

ftLemonPie

Smash Rookie
Hi, I did all the steps (even retried everything) but when i go to stagebuilder nothing happens (I deleted all the costum stages). How can i get it to load? The name of the SD card is just micro SD, nothing with project M. It is empty except the hackless WII files that I unzipped on it.

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke
Hi, I did all the steps (even retried everything) but when i go to stagebuilder nothing happens (I deleted all the costum stages). How can i get it to load? The name of the SD card is just micro SD, nothing with project M. It is empty except the hackless WII files that I unzipped on it.
I had the same problem.

ftLemonPie

Smash Rookie
You may be either missing the /private/ folder or its contents (/private/wii/app/RSBE/st/st_##_##.bin), or your SD card may be incompatible .
I got the folder, and tried with a 2gig Micro SD and a new 1 gig SD card, both didnt work. I think I'm overlooking something.

I formatted the SD's, i removed all costume stages, I disconected the wii from the internet. I have got one of the earliest wii (in europe).

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
You could use an ISO of the US version of Brawl, and run it via Dolphin or a USB loader (requires installing the Homebrew Channel and other softmods), or buy a US copy and run that (again, requires the Homebrew Channel). I can't go into any more detail on that here, though.

Or just wait for whenever a PAL version does turn up, I guess.

Nikoko

Smash Rookie
I have homebrew full set, it loads perfectly until i press play on the launcher (i have tried it updating and without updating the launcher) and it just keep sending me to the wii menu, i don't know why does this happens?, i mean, my wii can read brawl and it is one of the first wii's launched

SSJ3GotenksBruh

Smash Rookie
Hello, I'm having some problems as well. I'm attempting to install a hackless wifi safe 3.02 version of Project M onto a 2GB SD card. I'm not sure how to reformat my card to FAT32, as I run on Ubuntu 14.4, but I'm fairly sure that all of the files have been deleted. I download the version I want, put it into a folder, unzip it, put the still-zipped version in the trash, and here's where I'm not sure what's going on. I have everything I need, except for a folder titled 'apps' and the background.png file. I transfer it all to the SD card and yolo it into my wii. When I get to the stage builder menu, there are no stages, as I've deleted them all, and nothing on the SD card. Nothing happens. I assume it's because of that file and that folder I'm missing. As stated before, hackless wii, legit SSBB copy, 2GB Toshiba SD card, grab and download the version I want, missing files. Please help.

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
To format an SD card to FAT32 in Linux, run this in a terminal:
Code:
df -h
Get whatever your SD card is called (will be the one listed as being ~2 GB in size, mine comes up as /dev/mmcblk0p1. It is not any of the /dev/sda# entries, those are your computer's hard drive partitions)
Put whatever that name is into these commands:
Code:
umount <sd card>
sudo mkdosfs -F 32 -v <sd card>
can we get this in the OP? Linux isn't that uncommon, you know :p

pretty sure the hackless version does not have an /apps/ folder, as that would be only for apps loaded from the Homebrew Channel. Not sure about the background.png.
For hackless, you should have a file /private/wii/app/RSBE/st/st_<some numbers>.bin (not sure what it is exactly).

Last edited:

SSJ3GotenksBruh

Smash Rookie
That's great, thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. But I can't rename the SD card for whatever reason, that option is grayed out. So until I figure out why my card remains nameless, no project m. Thanks for your help though, seriously, thanks. I'll get back to this thread as soon as I can get it running if what you said about those missing files is true. Thanks again.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
But I can't rename the SD card for whatever reason, that option is grayed out. So until I figure out why my card remains nameless, no project m.
Mine is the same (it just comes up as "2.0 GB Volume") and it works fine.
but if you must rename it, do this in the terminal:
Code:
sudo umount <sd card>
sudo mlabel -i <sd card> ::<label>
it will probably output something like "Volume has no label", ignore it.

SSJ3GotenksBruh

Smash Rookie
Alright, I've done everything you said. The FAT32 commands worked, absolutely nothing on there anymore. All good. I download the files again, unzip 'em, and start transferring them. Right near the end, though, I started getting popups saying things like "Could not transfer *map name*." I decide to skip those map transfers as I can't retry them, resulting in about ten missing maps, and then a final popup appears saying "Could not transfer 'wifi'." I skip this as well, and it's finished. Everything's there, except for the /apps/ folder and background.png which I apparently don't need. I figured it wouldn't work, but I decide to put it in my wii anyways, and, surprise surprise, nothing. Noticing this odd pattern of popups, something must be going on with those maps and that 'wifi' file. Oh, and that file you mentioned (/private/wii/app/RSBE/st/st_<some numbers>.bin) is present and accounted for. Any ideas?
/home/edison/Desktop/Project M/nohomebrew_wifi/projectm/pf/stage/melee/STGHOMERUN.PAC
/home/edison/Desktop/Project M/nohomebrew_wifi/projectm/pf/stage/melee/STGICE.pac
/home/edison/Desktop/Project M/nohomebrew_wifi/projectm/pf/stage/melee/STGJUNGLE.pac
/home/edison/Desktop/Project M/nohomebrew_wifi/projectm/pf/stage/melee/STGKART.pac
/home/edison/Desktop/Project M/nohomebrew_wifi/projectm/pf/stage/melee/STGMADEIN.pac
/home/edison/Desktop/Project M/nohomebrew_wifi/projectm/pf/stage/melee/STGMANSION.pac
/home/edison/Desktop/Project M/nohomebrew_wifi/projectm/pf/stage/melee/STGMARIOPAST_00.pac
/home/edison/Desktop/Project M/nohomebrew_wifi/projectm/pf/stage/melee/STGMARIOPAST_01.pac
/home/edison/Desktop/Project M/nohomebrew_wifi/projectm/pf/stage/melee/STGNEWPORK.pac
/home/edison/Desktop/Project M/nohomebrew_wifi/projectm/pf/stage/melee/STGNORFAIR.pac
/home/edison/Desktop/Project M/nohomebrew_wifi/projectm/pf/stage/melee/STGOLDIN.pac
/home/edison/Desktop/Project M/nohomebrew_wifi/projectm/pf/stage/melee/STGONLINETRAINING.pac
/home/edison/Desktop/Project M/nohomebrew_wifi/projectm/pf/stage/melee/STGORPHEON.pac
/home/edison/Desktop/Project M/nohomebrew_wifi/projectm/pf/stage/melee/STGPALUTENA.pac
/home/edison/Desktop/Project M/nohomebrew_wifi/projectm/pf/stage/melee/STGPICTCHAT.pac
/home/edison/Desktop/Project M/nohomebrew_wifi/projectm/pf/stage/melee/STGPIRATES.pac
/home/edison/Desktop/Project M/nohomebrew_wifi/projectm/pf/stage/melee/STGPLANKTON.pac
/home/edison/Desktop/Project M/nohomebrew_wifi/projectm/pf/stage/melee/STGRESULT.pac
/home/edison/Desktop/Project M/nohomebrew_wifi/projectm/pf/stage/melee/STGSTADIUM.pac
/home/edison/Desktop/Project M/nohomebrew_wifi/projectm/pf/stage/melee/STGSTARFOX_ASTEROID.PAC
/home/edison/Desktop/Project M/nohomebrew_wifi/projectm/pf/stage/melee/STGSTARFOX_BATTLESHIP.PAC
/home/edison/Desktop/Project M/nohomebrew_wifi/projectm/pf/stage/melee/STGSTARFOX_CORNERIA.PAC
/home/edison/Desktop/Project M/nohomebrew_wifi/projectm/pf/stage/melee/STGSTARFOX_GDIFF.pac
/home/edison/Desktop/Project M/nohomebrew_wifi/projectm/pf/stage/melee/STGSTARFOX_SPACE.PAC
/home/edison/Desktop/Project M/nohomebrew_wifi/projectm/pf/stage/melee/STGTENGAN_1.pac
/home/edison/Desktop/Project M/nohomebrew_wifi/projectm/pf/stage/melee/STGTENGAN_2.pac
/home/edison/Desktop/Project M/nohomebrew_wifi/projectm/pf/stage/melee/STGTENGAN_3.pac
/home/edison/Desktop/Project M/nohomebrew_wifi/projectm/pf/stage/melee/STGVILLAGE_00.pac
/home/edison/Desktop/Project M/nohomebrew_wifi/projectm/pf/stage/melee/STGVILLAGE_01.pac
/home/edison/Desktop/Project M/nohomebrew_wifi/projectm/pf/stage/melee/STGVILLAGE_02.pac
/home/edison/Desktop/Project M/nohomebrew_wifi/projectm/pf/stage/melee/STGVILLAGE_03.pac
/home/edison/Desktop/Project M/nohomebrew_wifi/projectm/pf/stage/melee/STGVILLAGE_04.PAC These are the files, none of which got through.

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
It almost looks like you ran out of space, but since you just formatted the card, that shouldn't be the case..
Those files should have nothing to do with whether the game loads PM or not. The /wifi/ folder just contains files that can be used to swap the full version for the wifi-safe version. Whether or not the stages exist shouldn't affect it either (although a lot of stages wouldn't work).
The only other thing I can think of right now is possibly file permissions/ownership, although I don't see how one file extracted to the same folder as another could get different permissions than the other file.

Top Bottom