• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide to be amazing with Villager's aerials

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
One thing I truly love about Villager is his aerials. They are debatably one of a kind in the Smash series. He has five aerials that technically add up to three different categories. I’ll also will be talking about Villager’s other attacks that can be utilized in tandem with some of his aerial abilities. By reading this guide and following the suggestions within you too shall become the King of Villager Aerials!!

1. The almighty slingshot… (Forward and Back-Air)

What makes it so special is it can travel a distance roughly equivalent to the width of two Bowsers. It is extremely good, but if used poorly, can lead to many unwanted consequences or disappointing results. The closer you are to melee range when the pellet hits the enemy, the better the results. However, that doesn't necessarily mean you can't make use of the slingshot at a distance. Much like Mega Man’s Leaf Shield, you can halt your opponents little plans in the air. If you’re skilled enough, you can short hop and fire the slingshot at an opponent from range.

Now using the slingshot within melee range can lead to some awesome results. If your opponent is around 100%, it’s nearly a guaranteed K.O. Here's something you can do. If you can get your opponent in the air, you can jump up and use the slingshot to push him back and off the (Omega form) stage. Of course, your opponent will try to go back on the stage.

You can:

A. Use the slingshot again and hope your opponent gets pushed into the death zone.

B. Use the turnips (down and up-air) to meteor him.

C. Use the bowling ball (side-smash) at the ledge when the opponent is in range of the drop.

2. Turnips (Up and Down-Air) = Killer of all heavyweights....

One odd thing to note about the turnips is they're randomized. If only one turnip is disappointing and two turnips is just satisfactory, then getting all three is just plain AWESOMENESS. They really don't have too much going for them, but that doesn't mean they can’t be super awesome.

They’re an instantaneous attack, so they provide some handy priority against your opponent. Down-air can be used after baiting your opponent. For example: you can bait Palutena or Fox by launching a Loyd rocket. They’ll likely react and use their reflectors giving you the opportunity to jump and hit them with the down turnip.

Another feature that makes down turnip even more useful is if you get three turnips with a clean hit, it’s a guaranteed meteor smash. Since I mentioned earlier that turnips are obnoxiously instantaneous, you can use the up turnip to juggle your opponent in the air. Just keep jumping up using up turnip to watch their pathetic lives suffer. And if you practice these next two combos I’m about to describe enough, you’ll be AWESOME at juggling your opponent.

A. Combo One

Get your opponent up above you in the air.

2. Jump once and you hit your opponent with the turnip followed by a double jump so you hit your opponent again!

3. Fast fall so you can land very quickly. Rinse and repeat until the opponent dies or something else happens.

B. Combo Two

Do the previous three steps, but instead of simply repeating them, use up-tilt. Villager’s umbrella is just… Awesome. You can launch your opponent into the heavens if you do enough damage.

3. Air Cartwheel of DEATH… (Nair)

Oh boy… I love this neutral aerial so much…
This aerial makes Villager do a cartwheel in the air. Sounds weak right? Wrong. Villager’s cartwheel has two very useful tactics that can mess with your opponent

1. I came up with this useful button combo on the game-pad or pro controller to make you do an instantaneous cartwheel off the ground. Hit X, then A, in a very quick groove-like motion. With enough practice, you can do this anytime you want, but make sure not to be sprinting or else, it won’t work. You can use this method to do a surprise attack, or you can be creative and do make as many tricks and combos as much as you want.

2. Sonic is such a bother to deal with while using Villager! Never fear though. Apparently, if you do the cartwheel when Sonic is charging at you with his spin dash, it will totally stop him! Isn’t that neat!? Villager’s cartwheel is more a defensive move since it can halt some of your opponents.

4. Misc
Bowling ball
(Side-smash): Do I need to explain this one? We all use it at the edge…

Lloid Rocket (side-special): You can bait, or you can ride it. Now the cool part about riding it is that you can control the speed. If your opponent blocks, dodges, or counters when they’re expecting it to hit them, you can suddenly slow down to catch them off guard. Keep in mind that when Villager is riding Lloid, it does so much more damage and knockback.

Timber (down-special): Ok! This one you can get creative with. Before I tell you the awesome possibilities of using Timber, remember that you can get creative with the Timber. One thing I do every now and then is I use the timber instead of the bowling ball to gimp my opponent from the ledge.

Due to its longer range, your opponent will get overly cautious, and might mess up their recovery as a result. Also, if you’re facing a character that has a reflector, don’t act like Timber doesn’t exist! Use their reflector to your advantage!! When you make the tree, your opponent might know exactly what you’re planning so they might just stand there and wait for the actual timber and reflect it back to you!

Now here’s the cool part. You can pocket a reflected timber. Pocket makes the projectile much stronger. When you hit your opponent in the face, it’s almost a guaranteed K.O.

Be careful though. If your opponent is too close to the tree and you chop it down, the reflected tree will reflect too close to you and you will be unable to pocket it. Be sure not to overuse Timber or your opponent will just ignore it and beat you senselessly.
Anyway! Thank you so much for reading my guide! One thing I truly love about Villager is that you can get so creative with him…

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Now one thing I truly love about Villager is his aerials. (Yes i'm making another Villager guide)
Villager’s aerials are debatably one of a kind in the Smash series. Villager has five aerials (Duh) that technically add up to three aerials…
I’ll also will be talking about Villager’s other attacks that involve some sort of aerial abilities.
You shall be the King of Villager Aerials!!
1. The almighty slingshot…
The slingshot aerial is the front and back aerial. What makes it so special is that it can travel a distance. (Like the width of two Bowsers) It is extremely good, but if used poorly, can lead to many consequences, or disappointing results. Like I said in my “Villager approved ZSS repellent guide”. The closer the pellet comes in contact with the enemy, the better results.
However, that doesn't entirely mean you can't use the slingshot in a distance. Just like Mega Mans gimp shield Leaf Shield. You can halt your opponents little plans in the air. (If your skilled enough. You can jump at a short height and use the slingshot at an opponents range)
Now using the slingshot with close contact can lead to some awesome results. If your fighter is around 100%. Its nearly a guaranteed K.O. Here's something you can do. If you can get your opponent in the air, you can jump up and use the slingshot to push him back and off the stage (an Omega form stage). Of course, your opponent will try to go back on the stage. You can: A. Use the slingshot again and hope your opponent gets pushed into the death zone. B. Use the turnips to meteor him (I will go into detail later in this guide.) C. Use the bowling ball at the ledge and use it when the opponent is in the range of the drop.
Zero Suit Samus wouldn't approve...
But do it anyways...
2. Turnips = Killer of all heavyweights....
The turnips are Villager’s up and down airs. Now one thing about the turnips that is odd is that they're based on chance. One turnip equals disappointment. Two turnips equals satisfactory. Three turnips equals AWESOMENESS. Turnips really don't have too much going for it, but that doesn't mean they can be super awesome. They’re an instantaneous attack, so you already have a priority against your opponent. Down turnip can be used after a bait. For example: you can bait Palutena or Fox with launching a rocket loid. They use their fancy counter thing, and you can jump and hit them with the down turnip. To make the down turnip even MORE useful. If you get three turnips when hitting someone downwards, it will be almost a guaranteed meteor. (assuming your opponent has around 50%-999%) Since I stated that turnips are obnoxiously instantaneous, you can use the up turnip to juggle your opponent in the air. Just keep jumping up using up turnip to watch their pathetic lives suffer. And if you practice these two combos enough (that I’m about to tell you) you will be AWESOME at juggling your opponent.
A. 1. You get your opponent up above you in the air. 2.You jump ONCE and you get your opponent with the turnip. You do the double jump and you get your opponent again! 3. You tap your L-stick down so you can land very quickly. Rinse and repeat until the opponent dies or something else happens.
B. Do the three steps, BUT instead of rinse and repeating, you use the up-tilt. Villager’s up-tilt is just… Awesome. You can launch your opponent into the heavens if you do enough damage.
3. Air Cartwheel of DEATH…
This aerial makes Villager do a cartwheel in the air. Sounds weak right?
Wrong.
Villager’s cartwheel can be has two VERY USEFUL tactics that can mess with your opponent. Just open the two doors to check them.
Door 1. I made this useful button combo to make you do an instantaneous cartwheel off the ground. (Now this is on the gamepad or pro controller. I never really preferred a GC controller for smash, so I don’t know if you can make this magic happen on the GC controller.) Hit X, then A, in a very quick groove-like motion. With enough practice, you can do this anytime you want, but make sure not to be sprinting or else, it won’t work. You can use this method to do a surprise attack, OR you can be creative and do make as much tricks and combos as much as you want.
Door 2. Sonic is such a bother to deal with while using Villager! Never fear though. Apparently, if you do the cartwheel when Sonic is charging at you in his sphere form, it will totally stop him! Isn’t that neat!? Villager’s cartwheel is more a defensive move since it can halt some of your opponents.
4. Misc…
Bowling ball: Do I need to explain this one? We all use it at the edge…
Loid rocket: Ok you can bait, or you can ride it. Now the cool part about riding it is that you can control the speed. So when you opponent block, dodge, or counter when their EXPECTING it while you can slow the speed and make it a total surprise. Keep in mind that when Villager is riding loid, it does so much more damage and knockback.
Timber: Ok! Now THIS ONE you can get creative with. Before I tell you the awesome possibilities of using the Timber in an awesome way, remember that you can get creative with the Timber. One thing I do every now and then is I use the timber instead of the bowling ball to gimp my opponent from the ledge. Think about it. It has a higher range and your opponent will get overly cautious, and might mess up their recovery. Also, if you’re facing a character that has a reflective ability, don’t act like Timber doesn’t exist! Use the reflect as an advantage!! When you make the tree, your opponent might know exactly what your planning so they might just stand there and wait for the actual timber and reflect it back to you! Now here’s the cool part. You can pocket a reflected timber. And since pocket makes the projectile much more stronger. When you hit your opponent in the face, it’s almost a guaranteed K.O. Be careful though. If your opponent is too close to the tree and you timber it. The reflect tree will reflect too close to you and you will be unable to pocket. And make sure that you don’t overuse the Timber. Your opponent will just ignore it and beat you senselessly.
Anyway! Thank you so much for reading my guide! One thing I truly love about Villager is that you can get so creative with him…
I might have missed it, but you didnt mention that summoning Lloid in the air will stop your downward momentum, baiting your opponent out of their shield as they expect you to fall, and then dairing them with turnips.

Great aerial guide overall, I hope this one gets a bit more attention than the aerial villager guide I made a month back or so XP

Last edited:

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
I might have missed it, but you didnt mention that summoning Lloid in the air will stop your downward momentum, baiting your opponent out of their shield as they expect you to fall, and then dairing them with turnips.

Great aerial guide overall, I hope this one gets a bit more attention than the aerial villager guide I made a month back or so XP
Yea. I honestly think I made a good guide. I hope it gets a lot of attention also.

Xeiros

Smash Cadet
This needs a lot of work.

Two things to keep in mind. First, formatting is important. You want your readers to have an easy time taking in the information. Second, brevity is the soul of wit. So keep it to the point. Being overly verbose and adding useless Authors notes does no one any favors especially not someone looking for pertinent information.

I went ahead and edited it for you. You use the word awesome too damn much, but I left all instances of it untouched. Six times. Now this isn't perfect mind you and changes can yet be made. The point was to make it easy to read while removing needless clutter that distracts from the important information within.

One thing I truly love about Villager is his aerials. They are debatably one of a kind in the Smash series. He has five aerials that technically add up to three different categories. I’ll also will be talking about Villager’s other attacks that can be utilized in tandem with some of his aerial abilities. By reading this guide and following the suggestions within you too shall become the King of Villager Aerials!!

What makes it so special is it can travel a distance roughly equivalent to the width of two Bowsers. It is extremely good, but if used poorly, can lead to many unwanted consequences or disappointing results. The closer you are to melee range when the pellet hits the enemy, the better the results. However, that doesn't necessarily mean you can't make use of the slingshot at a distance. Much like Mega Man’s Leaf Shield, you can halt your opponents little plans in the air. If you’re skilled enough, you can short hop and fire the slingshot at an opponent from range.

Now using the slingshot within melee range can lead to some awesome results. If your opponent is around 100%, it’s nearly a guaranteed K.O. Here's something you can do. If you can get your opponent in the air, you can jump up and use the slingshot to push him back and off the (Omega form) stage. Of course, your opponent will try to go back on the stage.

You can:

A. Use the slingshot again and hope your opponent gets pushed into the death zone.

C. Use the bowling ball (side-smash) at the ledge when the opponent is in range of the drop.

2. Turnips (Up and Down-Air) = Killer of all heavyweights....

One odd thing to note about the turnips is they're randomized. If only one turnip is disappointing and two turnips is just satisfactory, then getting all three is just plain AWESOMENESS. They really don't have too much going for them, but that doesn't mean they can’t be super awesome.

They’re an instantaneous attack, so they provide some handy priority against your opponent. Down-air can be used after baiting your opponent. For example: you can bait Palutena or Fox by launching a Loyd rocket. They’ll likely react and use their reflectors giving you the opportunity to jump and hit them with the down turnip.

Another feature that makes down turnip even more useful is if you get three turnips with a clean hit, it’s a guaranteed meteor smash. Since I mentioned earlier that turnips are obnoxiously instantaneous, you can use the up turnip to juggle your opponent in the air. Just keep jumping up using up turnip to watch their pathetic lives suffer. And if you practice these next two combos I’m about to describe enough, you’ll be AWESOME at juggling your opponent.

A. Combo One

Get your opponent up above you in the air.

2. Jump once and you hit your opponent with the turnip followed by a double jump so you hit your opponent again!

3. Fast fall so you can land very quickly. Rinse and repeat until the opponent dies or something else happens.

B. Combo Two

Do the previous three steps, but instead of simply repeating them, use up-tilt. Villager’s umbrella is just… Awesome. You can launch your opponent into the heavens if you do enough damage.

3. Air Cartwheel of DEATH… (Nair)

This aerial makes Villager do a cartwheel in the air. Sounds weak right? Wrong. Villager’s cartwheel has two very useful tactics that can mess with your opponent

1. I came up with this useful button combo on the game-pad or pro controller to make you do an instantaneous cartwheel off the ground. Hit X, then A, in a very quick groove-like motion. With enough practice, you can do this anytime you want, but make sure not to be sprinting or else, it won’t work. You can use this method to do a surprise attack, or you can be creative and do make as many tricks and combos as much as you want.

2. Sonic is such a bother to deal with while using Villager! Never fear though. Apparently, if you do the cartwheel when Sonic is charging at you with his spin dash, it will totally stop him! Isn’t that neat!? Villager’s cartwheel is more a defensive move since it can halt some of your opponents.

4. Misc

Bowling ball

Lloid Rocket (side-special): You can bait, or you can ride it. Now the cool part about riding it is that you can control the speed. If your opponent blocks, dodges, or counters when they’re expecting it to hit them, you can suddenly slow down to catch them off guard. Keep in mind that when Villager is riding Lloid, it does so much more damage and knockback.

Timber (down-special): Ok! This one you can get creative with. Before I tell you the awesome possibilities of using Timber, remember that you can get creative with the Timber. One thing I do every now and then is I use the timber instead of the bowling ball to gimp my opponent from the ledge.

Due to its longer range, your opponent will get overly cautious, and might mess up their recovery as a result. Also, if you’re facing a character that has a reflector, don’t act like Timber doesn’t exist! Use their reflector to your advantage!! When you make the tree, your opponent might know exactly what you’re planning so they might just stand there and wait for the actual timber and reflect it back to you!

Now here’s the cool part. You can pocket a reflected timber. Pocket makes the projectile much stronger. When you hit your opponent in the face, it’s almost a guaranteed K.O.

Be careful though. If your opponent is too close to the tree and you chop it down, the reflected tree will reflect too close to you and you will be unable to pocket it. Be sure not to overuse Timber or your opponent will just ignore it and beat you senselessly.

Last edited:

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea

Two things to keep in mind. First, formatting is important. You want your readers to have an easy time taking in the information. Second, brevity is the soul of wit. So keep it to the point. Being overly verbose and adding useless Authors notes does no one any favors especially not someone looking for pertinent information.

I went ahead and edited it for you. You use the word awesome too damn much, but I left all instances of it untouched. Six times.

You can:

The turnips are Villager’s up and down airs respectively. One odd thing to note about the turnips is they're randomized. If only one turnip is disappointing and two turnips is just satisfactory, then getting all three is just plain AWESOMENESS. They really don't have too much going for them, but that doesn't mean they can’t be super awesome.

A. Combo One

1. Get your opponent up above you in the air.

3. Fast all so you can land very quickly. Rinse and repeat until the opponent dies or something else happens.

B. Do the previous three steps, but instead of simply repeating them, use up-tilt. Villager’s umbrella is just… Awesome. You can launch your opponent into the heavens if you do enough damage.

1. I came up with this useful button combo on the gamepad or pro controller to make you do an instantaneous cartwheel off the ground. Hit X, then A, in a very quick groove-like motion. With enough practice, you can do this anytime you want, but make sure not to be sprinting or else, it won’t work. You can use this method to do a surprise attack, or you can be creative and do make as many tricks and combos as much as you want.

4. Misc
Bowling ball

Timber: Ok! This one you can get creative with. Before I tell you the awesome possibilities of using Timber, remember that you can get creative with the Timber. One thing I do every now and then is I use the timber instead of the bowling ball to gimp my opponent from the ledge.

Due to its longer range your opponent will get overly cautious, and might mess up their recovery as a result. Also, if you’re facing a character that has a reflector, don’t act like Timber doesn’t exist! Use their reflector to your advantage!! When you make the tree, your opponent might know exactly what you’re planning so they might just stand there and wait for the actual timber and reflect it back to you!

Sorry. I'm still a bit new to smashboards. Are you fine with me copy and pasting this to my post?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530

I went ahead and edited it for you. You use the word awesome too damn much, but I left all instances of it untouched. Six times. Now this isn't perfect mind you and changes can yet be made. The point was to make it easy to read while removing needless clutter that distracts from the important information within.

You can:

The turnips are Villager’s up and down airs respectively. One odd thing to note about the turnips is they're randomized. If only one turnip is disappointing and two turnips is just satisfactory, then getting all three is just plain AWESOMENESS. They really don't have too much going for them, but that doesn't mean they can’t be super awesome.

A. Combo One

1. Get your opponent up above you in the air.

3. Fast all so you can land very quickly. Rinse and repeat until the opponent dies or something else happens.

B. Do the previous three steps, but instead of simply repeating them, use up-tilt. Villager’s umbrella is just… Awesome. You can launch your opponent into the heavens if you do enough damage.

1. I came up with this useful button combo on the gamepad or pro controller to make you do an instantaneous cartwheel off the ground. Hit X, then A, in a very quick groove-like motion. With enough practice, you can do this anytime you want, but make sure not to be sprinting or else, it won’t work. You can use this method to do a surprise attack, or you can be creative and do make as many tricks and combos as much as you want.

4. Misc
Bowling ball

Timber: Ok! This one you can get creative with. Before I tell you the awesome possibilities of using Timber, remember that you can get creative with the Timber. One thing I do every now and then is I use the timber instead of the bowling ball to gimp my opponent from the ledge.

Due to its longer range your opponent will get overly cautious, and might mess up their recovery as a result. Also, if you’re facing a character that has a reflector, don’t act like Timber doesn’t exist! Use their reflector to your advantage!! When you make the tree, your opponent might know exactly what you’re planning so they might just stand there and wait for the actual timber and reflect it back to you!

I'm actually amazed you took the time to do all that.

~

Looks nice tho ;D

Xeiros

Smash Cadet
I'd also like to note that you shouldn't rely on ALL CAPS when you want to emphasize something. That's what italics are for. Mind you, that's a minor point much like the overuse of certain words.

Of course I don't mind if you make use of the edits I made. Just make sure you actually read through them. Make sure everything sounds good. If you aren't sure, try reading it out loud. That's a great way too catch wonky grammar or odd phrasing. You want your readers to be able to understand what you're trying to teach them.

If you ever read something you wrote and think "Wait! What does this mean? What was I trying to say here? Could I have phrased this more clearly?", you'll know it can be improved. It's about communication.

Last edited:

Ramzy

ROCKMAN
1. I came up with this useful button combo on the game-pad or pro controller to make you do an instantaneous cartwheel off the ground. Hit X, then A, in a very quick groove-like motion.
I knew I couldn't be the only one. Started this on the 3DS and still using it on the Pro (I love this controller). It works for any character, great with Nairs, especially for a Mega main

Last edited:

neely

Smash Rookie
Pretty cool guide. It should be worth mentioning that the back aerial does more damage and knockback than the forward aerial, so you should turn around before chasing someone off the edge.

Last edited:

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
I knew I couldn't be the only one. Started this on the 3DS and still using it on the Pro (I love this controller). It works for any character, great with Nairs, especially for a Mega main
Your signature is amazing.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
I've been trying to figure out Villager because they are devastating my Samus. One thing I found that helps a lot in pushing back a rush in the air is using the c-stick to deliver a fair/bair while moving the opposite direction. This is a semi-basic/intermediate level skill that's important. I don't really see it in enough of the basic FAQ guides on general play techniques.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
I've been trying to figure out Villager because they are devastating my Samus. One thing I found that helps a lot in pushing back a rush in the air is using the c-stick to deliver a fair/bair while moving the opposite direction. This is a semi-basic/intermediate level skill that's important. I don't really see it in enough of the basic FAQ guides on general play techniques.
A guide is still a guide. Welcome to smashboards btw.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
A guide is still a guide. Welcome to smashboards btw.
Thanks for the welcome. I wasn't meaning to be critical, just trying to add information. I'm a long time smasher and have been reading stuff on this forum for years (I fondly recall reading about wavedashing with luigi then trying to perfect the technique). With the Wii U sort of blanking the slate, I thought I would start participating.

Top Bottom