• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[GUIDE] Connecting to Brawl/PM Wifi post-WFC shutdown: Occasional server issues are temporary

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
You're fine if you just enter it this way. however you will need the DNS for sure when you want to actually connect to the matchmaking server in the future.
So enter my fc now, and the DNS can be for later? Cool!

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
So enter my fc now, and the DNS can be for later? Cool!
Yup. I'm messing around with connection stuff tonight and hopefully i can help you out with your connection error, but that's not time-sensitive so you're in the clear :)

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
so what do the custom servers have to do with anything?
When Nintendo's official servers go down, the data collected from this DNS will be used to build a FC database for the custom server (since it can't access Nintendo's). We can then all connect to the custom server to keep brawling as before.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Yup. I'm messing around with connection stuff tonight and hopefully i can help you out with your connection error, but that's not time-sensitive so you're in the clear :)
Yeah cause now I try to enter my fc and my game Id, which should be RSBE01, and its saying that some inputs are not correct. Is that an issue being worked on, or is the game id something I don't possibly know?

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
When Nintendo's official servers go down, the data collected from this DNS will be used to build a FC database for the custom server (since it can't access Nintendo's). We can then all connect to the custom server to keep brawling as before.
so I have to do any modding to get into this server? also will the connections be better?

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
so I have to do any modding to get into this server? also will the connections be better?
To get into the actual matchmaking server after WFC goes down, you will most likely have to mod your wii since mods to let you connect will be available before the hackless version. You can wait for the hackless version, it's up to you.

I've done Method B, I saw there was some stuff about a DNS. I just ignore that right? Do I need to know anything and if it's important for the future?
You don't need the DNS if you did Method B, however to be on the safe side I would do Method B for yourself as well as at least one of your friends in your roster (to consolidate your mutual friends list server-side, this may not be necessary but it can't hurt).

Yeah cause now I try to enter my fc and my game Id, which should be RSBE01, and its saying that some inputs are not correct. Is that an issue being worked on, or is the game id something I don't possibly know?
It's just RSBE, not RSBE01.

BTW, I personally was just able to connect to the DNS and the matchmaking server (via usbloader with a patched ISO). I'm not getting the crazy connection error you did, but according to nintendo that's a fairly generic error. Does your connection work without the DNS, and stop working when you try the DNS?

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
It's just RSBE, not RSBE01.

BTW, I personally was just able to connect to the DNS and the matchmaking server (via usbloader with a patched ISO). I'm not getting the crazy connection error you did, but according to nintendo that's a fairly generic error. Does your connection work without the DNS, and stop working when you try the DNS?
I thank you for helping me with the friend code settings. I haven't tried to use the DNS yet, and I can't right this moment because the time I posted this is late at night and i need to go to bed that's all, but I will get to the DNS eventually.

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
If anyone wants to help me test the main.dol patch for Project M please PM me. I can't figure out how to get PM to work with USBloader

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
If anyone wants to help me test the main.dol patch for Project M please PM me. I can't figure out how to get PM to work with USBloader
I'd imagine you use the same modified Brawl ISO, but you turn on ocarina cheats, have the PM files on the SD card, and copy the RSBE01.gct file from sd:/codes/ into sd:/usb-loader/codes/

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I'd imagine you use the same modified Brawl ISO, but you turn on ocarina cheats, have the PM files on the SD card, and copy the RSBE01.gct file from sd:/codes/ into sd:/usb-loader/codes/
that sounds a lot easier than what i was trying to do

aliensalmon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aliensalmon
3DS FC
1204-0174-6540
This is pretty informative! Thanks to everyone who made this possible!

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
you can try it but i think they use the same code for this purpose, could be wrong i havent tried pm

D

Deleted member

Okay so I did everything as instructed in order to get my friend code in. Do I have to wait before I change my DNS setting back to automatic?

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
1) Do we give our Wii friend code or Brawl's friend
2) Any restrictions? As in NTSC only, because I live in Australia and have a PAL Wii and PAL Brawl
3) Do you have to hack your Wii to connect to the servers? Because I don't wanna hack mine.

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Okay so I did everything as instructed in order to get my friend code in. Do I have to wait before I change my DNS setting back to automatic?
you will need to keep that DNS to connect to wifi after the shutdown
1) Do we give our Wii friend code or Brawl's friend
2) Any restrictions? As in NTSC only, because I live in Australia and have a PAL Wii and PAL Brawl
3) Do you have to hack your Wii to connect to the servers? Because I don't wanna hack mine.
give yours, but also give your friends' too, the more the merrier. PAL wiis are fine, the gameID is different (RSBP instead of RSBE). you will most likely have to hack your wii if you want to get on sooner, while a hackless solution is currently being investigated it's slated to be incredibly difficult, but not impossible

Cloud7z

Smash Cadet

give yours, but also give your friends' too, the more the merrier. PAL wiis are fine, the gameID is different (RSBP instead of RSBE). you will most likely have to hack your wii if you want to get on sooner, while a hackless solution is currently being investigated it's slated to be incredibly difficult, but not impossible
I believe he wanted to ask whether or not he's supposed to enter the Wii FC or Brawl FC

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
No problem. Also, I still want to do the second option for my friends. If I'm already registered, can I do that?
you can do it regardless, all you need to do is plug in friend codes :)
I believe he wanted to ask whether or not he's supposed to enter the Wii FC or Brawl FC
brawl fc (it's 12 digits, wii fc is 16)

Shariq

Smash Journeyman

sorry i phrased question 1 wrong. I mean as in do I give my Wii code or Brawl code. Because they are both different if I recall.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Gonna go ahead and sticky this, thanks for making a guide for people interested in playing still. Glad to see that MrBean and Wiimm came through.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Thanks for the guide Stef. Just thought I'd clarify; I entered my FC into the database via method B, do I still need to do method A?

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Thanks for the guide Stef. Just thought I'd clarify; I entered my FC into the database via method B, do I still need to do method A?
it cant hurt but its not necessary
My FC

4597-9478-7217
did you enter this using method b?
Gonna go ahead and sticky this, thanks for making a guide for people interested in playing still. Glad to see that MrBean and Wiimm came through.
whoa! Thank you so much :)

Rood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Rood2790
In that case you don't need to connect to the dns at all right now, your FC is safe. I'm not sure what's going on with the DNS though...
I know my fc is in the database, but i patched my iso and can't connect to the server. Is the server not up yet?

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I know my fc is in the database, but i patched my iso and can't connect to the server. Is the server not up yet?
The server should be up, I was able toconnect with it yesterday @_@
so there will be a hackless thing then? just not right away?
Wiimm is investigating it but I cannot guarantee it will come to fruition

TheOk4mi

Smash Rookie
Im having the same issue here i tried it with Brawl [NTSC version] through Cfg Loader and I couldn't connect either.
I don't know, if it has to do with the fact that the primary DNS setting changes from 176.9.146.163 to 176.009.146.163 when I save it.
Or could it be some kind of regional thing? Since I'm from Germany and I'm connecting with WLAN it might be a problem.
I'm going to try it with MK probably and see if this is working.

Last edited:

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Please circulate this widely, everyone needs to submit their friend codes before May 18. Retweet me, share my facebook post, reblog me, share this link on reddit, wherever, tell your friends, just get all your friend codes up there.

You read that correctly - dedicated Brawl servers are here. While there's still some prep work going on to make them more widely accessible, there are a few things we need to do to get ready.

This guide is broken down into two sections: Sorry if it's kind of crazy to read but I literally wrote this on the bus to work because THIS INFO NEEDS TO BE CENTRALIZED AND SHARED RIGHT NOW!

Step 1) Reserving your Friend Code (DO THIS RIGHT NOW!)

Step 2) Connecting to Custom Servers (can do this whenever, not time-sensitive)

STEP 1 - RESERVING YOUR FRIEND CODE
---DO THIS RIGHT NOW---

Friend codes for Nintendo Wifi games are assigned server-side. The connection between your Wii and its friend code happens via a "profile", which tells Nintendo's servers that wii A belongs to friend code B. Your Wii knows what its corresponding friend code is, and will always attempt to log in with that friend code. The first time you connect to Wifi, your Wii is designated a friend code from Nintendo's servers.

This is a problem for you, because the server is the one doing the assigning. If a new server sees you trying to connect, but doesn't know what your friend code is because it never assigned you one itself, it will try to assign you a new friend code, while your Wii is still trying to use your old one (which may have already been assigned to someone else by this new server). The only way to rectify this is to erase your Brawl save and create a new one, wiping your wii's memory of your old friend code.

However, if you act fast, you won't need to erase your brawl save.
Wiimm and MrBean35000VR of the Wii-Homebrew community have 2 ways for you to save your friend code:

A: Wiimm is hosting a DNS server that will collect your profile information as soon as you use it to establish a connection to Nintendo WFC. Because Nintendo WFC is going down, you need to do this before May 20.

Instructions (source + tech support: http://forum.wii-homebrew.com/board42-kreativitaet/mkw-server-project-english/51254-own-servers/)

B: Wiimm is also hosting a site where you can just input your FC information manually, and his system will retrieve your profile on its own. Because this takes up to 24 hours to complete, no more friend codes will be accepted after May 18.

Go to http://wiimmfi.profeibe.at/ (NTSC Brawl's game ID is RSBE) and input your FC. Input the FC for at least one of your friends in your roster, too, to be on the safe side.

When data about your friend code is collected, it will be used to construct a database for use by new servers, making the new server think it assigned you the friend code you already have. That way, your friend code will still work, and you won't need to make a new Brawl save!

Method 1 will work for yourself, and does not take long to do. You only need to do it once, and you're safe.

However, Method 2 will allow you to not only submit your friend code, but other people's friend codes too.

I urge you to submit as many friend codes as possible. Not only will you be able to keep coming online, but so will all your friends. If as many people submit as many friend codes as possible, the online community will continue to thrive.

If you don't do any of this, you can still connect after May 20, but you will need a new brawl save.

STEP 2 - CONNECTING TO A CUSTOM SERVER

Disclaimer: I am not a PM player and have little to no knowledge of how the launcher works. I have no idea if this mod will work for PM, however you should still do Step 1 anyway. I can NOT tell you how much better or worse the lag will be, because I simply don't know.

The file that contains server information is called "main.dol". Wiimm has created a new version of this file which connects to his server. This modified file can currently only be applied by patching it directly into the Brawl ISO, which means this currently only works with USBLoader. There is no XML for Riivolution yet, though there may be one in the future. There is no Gecko code, and I do not believe we will be seeing one anytime soon. disregard that, Riivo and Gecko both are planned to have support. A hackless method is also in the works. I don't know about Dolphin, since the process for connecting Dolphin to get on WFC is different and it doesn't look like a main.dol patch for this would be easy, but you guys already have netplay anyway.

If you do not use USBLoader, you should still perform Step 1 of this guide so your wii will be ready when Riivolution support is established.

Wiki page is here: http://forum.wii-homebrew.com/board42-kreativitaet/mkw-server-project-english/51742-wiimmfi-patcher/

This file can be extracted so you can put it on your SD card when Riivo support goes live. More info on this to come.

Need Videos?

http://smashboards.com/threads/important-nintendo-wifi-will-live-past-may-20th.355299/
http://smashboards.com/threads/mrbe...awl-and-other-games-may-18th-deadline.355129/

Want to Help?

UPLOAD EVERY FRIEND CODE YOU KNOW OF!

Share this thread everywhere.
Know someone who has a Wii or Brawl? they need to see this thread right now.

Dump your info for any Wifi-enabled game:
http://save-nintendo-wifi.com/

Host a custom server:
https://github.com/polaris-/nintendo_dwc_emulator

Hopefully in the future, everyone working on servers will co-ordinate so that we can have multiple networked servers, meaning less lag for you!

Special thanks to DiddyKong (aka tbtechwiz) for walking me through all this information. I am not an authority on this topic, and am just here to present it to the Smash community in a collected and digestible way.

Hello, I am having a bit of an issue.

When I enter my FC, it says that it is already in the system. When I do a search, it seems someone has already added it under RSBJ (rather than RSBE). How do I handle this?

My FC is 4639-9806-2153. It's worth noting that I actually got this Brawl savegame off the internet some two years ago because my original savegame got corrupted, so I'm not sure if that friend code is one that came from the savegame (perhaps it is possible that there are others with the same FC?) but I have never had any problems playing online.

Directions?

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
009 and 9 are the exact sane thing. I used wiiflow but will try investigating Cfg tonight.
Im having the same issue here i tried it with Brawl [NTSC version] through Cfg Loader and I couldn't connect either.
I don't know, if it has to do with the fact that the primary DNS setting changes from 176.9.146.163 to 176.009.146.163 when I save it.
Or could it be some kind of regional thing? Since I'm from Germany and I'm connecting with WLAN it might be a problem.
I'm going to try it with MK probably and see if this is working.
No need to worry, the RSBJ thing is a known issue thaat according to my sources does not matter. Just means someone had your back:)
Hello, I am having a bit of an issue.

When I enter my FC, it says that it is already in the system. When I do a search, it seems someone has already added it under RSBJ (rather than RSBE). How do I handle this?

My FC is 4639-9806-2153. It's worth noting that I actually got this Brawl savegame off the internet some two years ago because my original savegame got corrupted, so I'm not sure if that friend code is one that came from the savegame (perhaps it is possible that there are others with the same FC?) but I have never had any problems playing online.

Directions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Miss Fit

Smash Rookie
Do I need to connect my Wii to the server and boot up my game right now or can I do that after the shut down?

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Do I need to connect my Wii to the server and boot up my game right now or can I do that after the shut down?
You can do that after the shutdown (assuming you mean the dedicated server, not the dns), the only thing you need to do right now is step 1 method a or b.

Btw I am goig to be at a melee tournament tomorrow (saturday) so if you have questions please ask them tonight otherwise I will get back to you on sunday

Last edited:
Top Bottom