• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grounded double-jump useful for quick turnarounds out of run?

Alice!

Smash Rookie
New York City (home), Northampton MA (school)
Hello!

I was just playing around practicing tech skill when I started messing around with the old doublejump-on-the-ground maneuver. That is, since Peach's double jump sends her a bit downwards at the start, doing a quick double-tap of the jump button on the ground will have you simply... stay on the ground. It's underwhelming, but it seems to cancel your run momentum, which could maybe be a thing?

I was wondering if this might be useful for speeding up direction changes out of run (being in run one way, doing a grounded double jump to cancel your momentum and then rotating back the other way (skipping the turnaround animation) for more dashing or some attack or edge hog/guarding procedure or something). I suppose wavedashing is a thing that can be used to similar effect in some situations (specifically the dash turnaround), but this seems to be quite fast as well. I'm not really equipped with the knowhow to do a frame analysis of this technique vs alternatives (let me know if there are resources available on acquiring said knowhow), but am wondering - could this potentially be slightly quicker? Maybe useful in some other way I haven't thought of?

Let me know your thoughts.

Last edited:

Magnawolf

Smash Apprentice
I've messed with DJC and it seems almost useless. Any application where it's good, wavedashing is probably just as good.

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
I actually made a video on this about a year ago (not really worth posting though, I'll save myself the effort). I really think grounded DJC is a helpful shortcut that makes momentum cancelling much easier than trying to wavedash -> pivot -> do whatever. One of the biggest applications that I can imagine would be dash -> GDJC -> pivot dash attack, or pivot grab.

Also, lets not forget multiple GDJCs strung together is pretty much our version of a multishine, hehe.

Spooky Ghost

Smash Rookie
I've actually considered playing with double jump land when you upthrow a fast faller onto a platform. Follow up with a Double Jump Land into down smash. It won't be as quick as up air or nair from below the platform but it would definitely provide better option coverage.

Top Bottom