• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good ZSS Secondary?

Pickles_211

Smash Rookie
I'm ZSS main and I've been trying to figure out a good secondary for her to cover her weaknesses.
My main issues/weaknesses:
1) She gets zoned/camped by any character with a projectile better than hers like pikachu or Mario. Whenever I play them I feel forced to go in and I just get punished severely for it.
2) She has no shield pressure. My only hope is that they drop their shield at some point because her pokes are pretty bad and trying to grab never works because they can just spotdodge and punish.
3) SHORT CHARACTERS RRRRRRRGH. Playing characters like Pikachu (one of my brother's mains) is soooo hard. Half of his attacks (like dash attack and bair) make him land so flat that I can't even punish him for whiffing.
Who do you think is a good character (Or what can I do to improve my weaknesses with ZSS) to cover ZSS'weaknesses? I was thinking Pikachu, Rosalina, Mario, Luigi, Villager, or maybe even Tink.

Megamang

Smash Lord
This question comes up frequently, and I will say that a lot of people are going to tell you either they play X character for fun, or that ZSS doesn't need secondaries.

I am in your position though. Some matchups suck. Even if they are winnable, they are just annoying and unnecessarily difficult. I think a campy diddy fits this critera.

I would recommend you look at Nairo. He often pulls out a Pit/Dark Pit against Diddy... He has a Diddy himself, and probably some other tertiarys as well. He performs really well mixing these characters in.

While im here.. who do you guys use to cover Diddy Kong? I beat some Diddys at my last tournament, but I was clearly better than them and they kept jumping into my punishments and being aggressive against my spacing. I finally went up against a Diddy that knew the matchup and got trounced. I was thinking pikachu perhaps? I tried shiek and got **** on, but I think the Diddy knew that matchup even better than the ZSS one.

Retro X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
uncorruptable
I'm ZSS main and I've been trying to figure out a good secondary for her to cover her weaknesses.
My main issues/weaknesses:
1) She gets zoned/camped by any character with a projectile better than hers like pikachu or Mario. Whenever I play them I feel forced to go in and I just get punished severely for it.
2) She has no shield pressure. My only hope is that they drop their shield at some point because her pokes are pretty bad and trying to grab never works because they can just spotdodge and punish.
3) SHORT CHARACTERS RRRRRRRGH. Playing characters like Pikachu (one of my brother's mains) is soooo hard. Half of his attacks (like dash attack and bair) make him land so flat that I can't even punish him for whiffing.
Who do you think is a good character (Or what can I do to improve my weaknesses with ZSS) to cover ZSS'weaknesses? I was thinking Pikachu, Rosalina, Mario, Luigi, Villager, or maybe even Tink.
Rosa was my main before ZSS and I sort of dual main them both now. Rosa can hit short characters pretty easily, and it is hard to camp against her due to luma shield+gravity pull. She has a much less risky grab and can shield pressure more safely with luma.

And you think Pika is frustrating, try Kirby, ducks under grab, dash attack, neutral b (charged or uncharged), fsmash, ftilt, it can really mess you up if you're unfamiliar with the mu. However, Rosa's dash attack makes her go reallll low so she will actually be able to hit Kirby and the accursed Pikachu you mention. Personally I think Rosa vs Pika is pretty easy for Rosa in my experience (ZSS vs Pika also isn't that bad but eh just imo).

As for Diddy...hmm Rosa struggles with him, not sure too much about post-patch, I'm sure Dabuz will face Jtails, Zero, M2K, Angel or Denti in some top 8 very soon so we can see how that goes at the highest level. I still feel most comfortable using Rosa against him as she is wayyyy better at gimping than ZSS. Her dair is a very scary move to up against off stage.

tl;dr Rosa addresses the 3 points you brought up pretty well imo, pick her up and add her to your waifu army Nairo-style

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord
I personally don't think secondaries are necessary for zss because I think it takes more effort to learn a new character than to just get really good a the bad MU's. If a MU really annoys you though go ahead pick up a secondary. I think Pikachu is the best from your three points.

Also grab and ftilt can get kirby. Grab has to be gotten from the end of it and ftilt needs to angled down.

Icemanx5746

Smash Apprentice
I know a lot of ZSS players that like either Rosalina or Pit for a secondary, both deal with short characters really well.

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
I was playing Megaman beofre maining ZSS so i kept him as secondary and i just love the faq that he is the complete opposite of ZSS so to me it make a great mix up

ZeroSuit700

Smash Rookie
Try using someone else you're good at. My secondary main is Lucina, but I have others for back in case I get into trouble.

Top Bottom