• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Golden Sun: Venus Lighthouse stage released!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llama Juice

Smash Apprentice
Whats up guys? Long time no see. I missed you too. Most of you probably don't recognize me. That's because I've made one thread and it was over in the Artwork Emporium to show off the progress of this stage.

I released my Golden Sun Venus Lighthouse stage. Check this out.

====================================
UPDATED RELEASE NOTES
====================================

Golden Sun does not have enough love in this community and so I thought it'd be appropriate to bring some much deserved attention to the wonderful franchise of Golden Sun. I started this project as my first map for Brawl and I think it turned out fairly well. It's fun and has a unique layout that I think adds some interesting strategy to the game.

I included two different .pac files for this stage. One that's designed for the Wii and one that's designed for Dolphin. I couldn't get the effects to look the same while having it all contained within one file, so I had to split it up into two, each file being optimized for it's platform.

I saw how most of the content on this site appears to be just ripped from other games and that made me sad, so I wanted to try to create this stage using all custom created content. I spent the better part of two months pouring my life into this stage. I hope you enjoy it!

If you do like it, I would appreciate any donations you guys would be willing to throw at me. I'm trying to break my way into the gaming industry as an artist and any small amount you could spare would be awesome. I'd very greatly apprecaite it. If not, no worries. I just hope you enjoy my stage.

- LlamaJuice@Gmail.com

DOWNLOAD http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=36395

EDIT: Put this overtop of Final Destination or use a FD .rel file over whatever stage you want.

I want to give a special thanks to the following people for their help in learning the process and the tools required to make this stage.
MewTwo2000
DSX8
Syvkal
Segtendo
Eternal Yoshi
Shin F.
Theytah

Additional thanks to the members of the community who have put together the mass of tutorials found online. You guys are the unsung heros.
Notable thanks go to
ForOhFor Error
Guamboy27
Chuy
Koneko-chan

And of course an incredible thanks to Blackjax for creating Brawlbox and making all of this possible. You're a rockstar sir!

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Very, very well-done! I've been looking forward to seeing it in full and being able to play on it. I'll definitely be adding it to all of my custom builds.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Move over, Jungle Japes.

This stage looks fantastic! I'm definitely replacing Jungle Japes with this, for sure!

Shin F.

Smash Master
Just played a few matches on it. Really fun! It's a very unique stage that plays like no other. I really hope that Isaac ends up in Project M, because using even that rough vBrawl PSA of him on this stage felt incredibly satisfying.

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
This looks fantastic! And I'm a huge Golden Sun fan.

What happens if a character is the gap when the lighthouse comes back together?

Thethiala

Smash Rookie
I've been following your progress for a good while now, finally the day has come. :') You've put a lot of work into this stage and it shows. Fantastic job.

Last edited:

Llama Juice

Smash Apprentice
I assumed that every pack had a border around it so I just assumed you'd put your own colored border overtop mine. If that's not the case I can edit the download and add a different icon for it.

Thethiala

Smash Rookie
I really like that you managed to add quaking for when the tower splits/pulls it self together for the final version of the stage, it adds to the immersion a lot.

Llama Juice

Smash Apprentice
Thanks! That was an effect that took a lot of back and forth to try to get the right amount of shake in there. Since I can't actually animate the camera for brawl I just ended up shaking the actual playable portion of the stage. In the end I felt that it worked out fairly well of an effect. It can cause minor issues with people jumping at that moment of the shake, but it's not really noticeable during actual gameplay and it's easy to blame it on the shake anyways. I'm just glad that people are enjoying the stage :)

?.?

Smash Journeyman
Superb... Now I just need someone to create a firelink shrine stage lol.

DraconisMarch

Smash Apprentice
====================
Stages that this can be placed over without a .rel file.
====================
Flat zone 2
Camera is SUPER borked when I tried this. I think it's fixed to the same spot it's at with the regular Flat Zone 2 stage. It undoubtedly needs a .rel file.

I haven't tried any other stages yet, but I'll post any problems if I have them.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I like the overall design of this. Well, I'm a bit biased because I like Golden Sun, but yeah, great stuff. I'm also curious as to what happens when you're stuck in the middle when the stage comes back together.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I have the hackless version of P:M. Will this work? and if so, how exactly do I eplace a stage with it? Just switch the files?

Last edited:

farsight2000

Smash Rookie
I have been using Project M for a while now, and this is the first stage I have ever downloaded. This stage is great!

The only problem I have with it is the lack of character intros on it, which judging by your first preview video, you had working at some point.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Really nice stage man. I haven't played Golden Sun but I can appreciate how beautiful it looks. I also like your humble ask for donations and I can empathise with the amount of work that went into this. I also want to break into the game industry at some point and a good place to start is to help others. Donated.

Llama Juice

Smash Apprentice
Really nice stage man. I haven't played Golden Sun but I can appreciate how beautiful it looks. I also like your humble ask for donations and I can empathise with the amount of work that went into this. I also want to break into the game industry at some point and a good place to start is to help others. Donated.
Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate it. I spent between 250-300 hours on this project trying to make it the best I possibly could and I know that if I was on the other side of this I'd want to be able to pay it forward.

I have been using Project M for a while now, and this is the first stage I have ever downloaded. This stage is great!

The only problem I have with it is the lack of character intros on it, which judging by your first preview video, you had working at some point.
Haha thanks! I'm going to be releasing an updated version soon with some tweaks and changes that people have been requesting. MewTwo2000 was awesome and went ahead and fixed my character intros for me in this stage (Along with a few other details) and so I'll be releasing that soon after I make a few more tweaks to it.

I have the hackless version of P:M. Will this work? and if so, how exactly do I eplace a stage with it? Just switch the files?
Yes, this should work fine with that version. You can swap the files out pretty easily on your SD card and you'll be able to load the stage. The menu won't update automatically though, that you'll have to edit using Brawl Stage Manager.

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
I'm a beginner at this stuff, so is there a tutorial on how to install this, on project m 3.02 hackless? I really want this stage but I have never done this before

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
Just played a few matches on it. Really fun! It's a very unique stage that plays like no other. I really hope that Isaac ends up in Project M, because using even that rough vBrawl PSA of him on this stage felt incredibly satisfying.
Hey shin could you help me on this? I don't know how to put this in project M and I need help ((sorry I'm new to this stuff)) I'd love to play this stage

Shin F.

Smash Master
Hey shin could you help me on this? I don't know how to put this in project M and I need help ((sorry I'm new to this stuff)) I'd love to play this stage
Just put it on your SD Card over the stage you want to replace. I believe the default is Skyworld, so you would just name it stgpalutena.pac and drag it onto your card in /projectm/pf/stage/melee. That's it, really. If you want to change the icons on the Stage Select Screen, you need to use BrawlBox and open sc_selmap.pac and replace them in that.

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
Just put it on your SD Card over the stage you want to replace. I believe the default is Skyworld, so you would just name it stgpalutena.pac and drag it onto your card in /projectm/pf/stage/melee. That's it, really. If you want to change the icons on the Stage Select Screen, you need to use BrawlBox and open sc_selmap.pac and replace them in that.
Thank you so much! I'm going to try it when I get home ^-^

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
The stage is amazing, I just wish I could have good music with it, I replaced jungle japes so I have donkey kong's songs on it, any way to get "Battle Scene / Final Boss (golden sun)" into the level?

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
So, let me get this straight, If I wanted to replace Shadow Moses Island with this stage, I'd just name it the same as Shadow Moses Island, then take the PAC file and stick it in there after deleting the original SMI?
Furthermore, what is the file name of Shadow Moses Island?

squeakyboots13

Smash Journeyman
So, let me get this straight, If I wanted to replace Shadow Moses Island with this stage, I'd just name it the same as Shadow Moses Island, then take the PAC file and stick it in there after deleting the original SMI?
Furthermore, what is the file name of Shadow Moses Island?
There are actually 3 different variations of Shadow Moses Island island that are named STGMETALGEAR_00/01/02. You would have to make three copies of the stage and give each one the correct filename.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
There are actually 3 different variations of Shadow Moses Island island that are named STGMETALGEAR_00/01/02. You would have to make three copies of the stage and give each one the correct filename.
can't find it on my PM SD Card. Is it maybe TENGAN1 2 and 3?
EDIT: Hahah, post #666.

Last edited:

Pretty.Chunky.Princess

Smash Rookie
Brinstar also needs a rel file. When you load up, your characters die automatically.

Use a rel file just in case. The original stage is FD and replace it with any other stage through the Lakora Rel maker.

Just a heads up for those who want to add it but have problems.

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
can't find it on my PM SD Card. Is it maybe TENGAN1 2 and 3?
EDIT: Hahah, post #666.
TENGAN is Spear Pillar, or in this case, Saffron. Simply rename your file to 'STGMETALGEAR_00/01/02' and place it in the folder.

Last edited:

squeakyboots13

Smash Journeyman
The reason it's not already on your SD card is because Project M didn't make any changes to that stage.

BetaHousing

Smash Rookie
I'm just saying, you should add a warning to using it over onett, it has SERIOUSLY bad hit detection. The sides of the main platform shoots you off. And by shoot, i mean they slide to their death.

Llama Juice

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys! I finally am updating my Golden Sun, Venus Lighthouse stage. What's new you ask? (Good question!)

MewTwo2000 did a handful of tweaks to help polish the map in ways that I didn't know needed to be fixed. (Things like Pokemon Trainer's positioning and such was totally broken)

There is also now a few versions of the map in the .zip There are versions for the Wii and Dolphin, there are versions for grabbable edges and not grabbable ledges. Grab whatever one you want and go with that. I know there was a lot of requests for a version where you can't grab the side ledges so I wanted to make people happy. I strongly suggest trying the version WITH the grabbing enabled, and play a few matches on that before trying the non-grabby version. The edge guard game is entirely thrown off with the grabby version in the best way.

Changelist via Mewtwo2000
-Fixed player spawn positions, giving them their spawn animations back.
-Overhauled Day/night cycle. Includes stars at night, new sky at dusk, brighter during day.
-Optimized my meshes to use the tristripper. Should reduce lag.
-Fixed Pokemon Trainer
-Added alternate collisions to disable grabbing side ledges, grabs ledges in the center of the stage when split apart.

I then took his tweaks and changed a few things as well.
-Redid clouds. There was a few small issues with them that finally bothered me enough to redo the clouds entirely. Now they move slower and don't have bad clipping across them. (I doubt anyone else noticed)
-Fixed water animations. (They apparently didn't loop properly, didn't notice before)
-Fixed Mewtwo's day/night animations to loop better.
-Added collision inside the center of the stage to try to trap people inside the stage if they get crushed when the stage is closing on them.
-Toned down Mewtwo2000's dusk to be more mellow.
-Removed the clouds from the skybox itself. There were static clouds on the background that was bothering me. They're gone now.

Preview:

Brawl Vault Download Link: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?ByUserID=32098

I also made a gif of the day/night cycle.(3 MB)

Also, if you enjoy the map, I would really appreciate a donation. I'm trying to make my way into the game industry and any small bit would help out. Thanks :)

- LlamaJuice@Gmail.com

Thanks to those of you who've already helped out. You're all rockstars and I really appreciate it.

Last edited:

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
This is far beyond fantastic, and exactly what I've been wanting in Smash for years. Just a question though: do you still plan on updating this in the future? I don't want to sound rude or ungrateful, but more detailed textures on the bricks and such would really help this stage better fit into the setting of Brawl/P:M. I mean, everything else presented in this stage is already of such a high caliber, I would love to see your work continue to grow.

Llama Juice

Smash Apprentice
You don't come off as rude or ungrateful or anything. You come off as helpful and such. Constructive criticism is always welcome and I appreciate the comments. Thanks a lot.

I might go back and try to spruce up the bricks a bit. I was always just nervous about doing so as I can't change their layout/position too much... and it's very easy to make something look like a repeating texture when you do stuff like this. I would rather the bricks look somewhat bland than have them very obvious where/how they tile.

The other side of that, is I'm used to being able to use Normal Maps and such... I'm pretty sure that I can't do that in Brawl.... and Normal maps go a long way with this type of stuff. Then again, those bricks were the first texture that I made for this project before I got really into the style that I was going for. I might go back and redo them...

Last edited:

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
I think the bricks look very nice, the entire stage looks amazing! In my opinion I think it's perfect, exept of when the light house leaves, when your in the middle you don't get crushed, but that is totally fine by me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom