• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Giga Bowser

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Ok should Giga Bowser...

Return as a final smash, and if so should he be the same as Brawl or slightly changed?

Become a costume for Bowser instead?

Become a DLC character?

Also about him being a final smash, there obviously needs to be more time to play as him, what do you think they could do to allow us to have more time to play as Giga Bowser?

My idea is to either change the final smash so that he transforms back into Bowser after being koed in otherwords remove the invincibility and make him a Melee Giga Bowser that can grab items and everything, either that or just replace the final smash with something else and make Giga Bowser a costume.

Morbi

Scavenger
I am not a huge fan of Giga Bowser, I don't really want him to return in any way, shape, or form. That being said, it would be ideal to keep him as a Final Smash.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If Giga Bowser returns to being a separate entity, it should at least be possible to play as him in the Special Brawl game mode, along with Training.

TeamFlareZakk

@ Morbi Morbi I can respect your opinion and him just returning as a final smash.

@ Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy I totally agree, there is a lot of fun things to do with Giga Bowser, which is kind of why I'd like to see him playable.

I remember back in Melee thinking about all these cool matches you could do with Giga Bowser, and it's all for fun.

He's not really ideal for tourneys because he's too easy to hit, I was volleying him in Melee with Ganondorf while edge guarding, so I do admit he's not really ideal for competitive play, but he is fun to play as in matches where you're just messing around.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Aren't there two Giga Bowser threads? Is there a reason there should be two. Otherwise, I will end up merging them.

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
He should be in there in some way, at the very least he should be playable, but you need to hack the game to play as him. I want him in the game mainly for machinima makers. If he does return he should gain attack/agility buffs but be slightly smaller and just take drastically reduced knockback, I.E. he becomes 10x heavier.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I like Giga Bowser as his Final Smash, but like Mario_and_Sonic_Guy said I think it would be cool to play as him in training mode or something.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
It'll probably stay the same because laziness.

But I wouldn't mourn its loss.
I wouldn't say out of laziness. Sometimes changing one thing into something different just for the sake of having something different is not always good. Just see how many people complain about Mario's Down B; it's not the same move he had in the original and melee, but hey, it's something new and different.
Don't fix what ain't broken.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I wouldn't say out of laziness. Sometimes changing one thing into something different just for the sake of having something different is not always good. Just see how many people complain about Mario's Down B; it's not the same move he had in the original and melee, but hey, it's something new and different.
Don't fix what ain't broken.
Thing is, it's not a final smash that "belongs" to Bowser outside of the SSB series.

At least, I'm pretty sure it wasn't. Was giga Bowser from anything else prior to SSB?

There are many other options they could use for his final smash, including something to do with his clown car, the koopa kids, etc. which would be a more appropriate final, really.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Thing is, it's not a final smash that "belongs" to Bowser outside of the SSB series.

At least, I'm pretty sure it wasn't. Was giga Bowser from anything else prior to SSB?

There are many other options they could use for his final smash, including something to do with his clown car, the koopa kids, etc. which would be a more appropriate final, really.
Certainly, it's not from the Mario series but it doesn't have to. Gigs became part of Bowser's identity since Melee; the smash universe also tends to add it's own characteristics to the fighters themselves. For example, Cpt. Falcon is who he is today thanks to smash.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
^ exactly, it's one of Bowsers defining traits in the universe, so I don't the abrubt urge to take it away.

You don't see people up in airs over the difference in Jiggly's rest, now do you?

I'd like to see him as a Final Smash again, but I wouldn't be heartbroken otherwise.

If Giga Bowser returns as a boss, should he be fought like he was in Melee, or should he switch to an HP bar like the other bosses in Brawl? If the latter, this would also mean that he could no longer be launched and his attack patterns couldn't be interrupted. This would also prevent stupid AI from making him self-destruct.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Certainly, it's not from the Mario series but it doesn't have to. Gigs became part of Bowser's identity since Melee; the smash universe also tends to add it's own characteristics to the fighters themselves. For example, Cpt. Falcon is who he is today thanks to smash.
1. Hardcore F-Zero fans might argue you on that...

2. Falcon didn't have a moveset prior to SSB, but even his final smash involved his car.

3. Bowser has tons of history they could draw from for final smash inspiration. Shame they went with one that was arguably the most boring.

That said, it is at least a fairly reliable method of getting kills, and not every final smash can boast that...

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
If by "tons of history" you mean stuff like the Koopa Klown Kar, that is just lame compared to his current FS. But if we are going to travel that lane, keep in mind that in several Mario games Bowser's most common power up is to get bigger and stronger; Mario Galaxy, Super Princess Peach, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Sunshine, Bowser's Inside Story and the Yoshi's Island games come to mind. Becoming giant-sized is a very frequent feature of him throughout his career (ScrewAttack pointed this out once, "Ever notice how there are plenty of games where Bowser becomes a giant for no reason whatsoever?") so when you think about it that is what Giga Bowser does but with a slight appearance change.
So there you have it, history demonstrates that Bowser likes to get big. If you want to bring the idea of being "faithful" to the character, Giga Bowser fills the roll since it was drawn from that aspect. And you can understand that he looks different because, frankly, Bowser just getting big would be no different from grabbing a Mushroom.

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I have a lot of other ideas for a Bowser FS, so, while I like controlling him and would love to keep doing do, I THINK I'd prefer if he returned to be a Single Player Boss again. ^^ With a neat Little cutscene, like in Melee.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Bowser's Inside Story
What if Bowser eats the vacuum shroom as his final smash. He could then suck everybody he could up (like Kirby's FS) and they would be bombarded by his insides.

It's not my ideal Bowser FS, but it's an idea. What do you guys think?

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
If by "tons of history" you mean stuff like the Koopa Klown Kar, that is just lame compared to his current FS. But if we are going to travel that lane, keep in mind that in several Mario games Bowser's most common power up is to get bigger and stronger; Mario Galaxy, Super Princess Peach, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Sunshine, Bowser's Inside Story and the Yoshi's Island games come to mind. Becoming giant-sized is a very frequent feature of him throughout his career (ScrewAttack pointed this out once, "Ever notice how there are plenty of games where Bowser becomes a giant for no reason whatsoever?") so when you think about it that is what Giga Bowser does but with a slight appearance change.
So there you have it, history demonstrates that Bowser likes to get big. If you want to bring the idea of being "faithful" to the character, Giga Bowser fills the roll since it was drawn from that aspect. And you can understand that he looks different because, frankly, Bowser just getting big would be no different from grabbing a Mushroom.
Aside from the fact that he never looks like Giga Bowser in any of those games, sure.

Why not have Fox/Olimar jump into a vehicle that isn't theirs? Or have DK play a saxophone? Or have Ness/Lucas cast Firaga?

When I say "tons of history", I mean TONS of history.

He could:
-Pull out a chain chomp and spin it around, swinging it faster as the player times A button presses.
-Be able to shoot powerful fireballs directly in front of him.
-Summon 5 Koopa kids who behave like level 5 bots and fight for him until KOed.
-Summon his airship to firebomb the screen.
-Play a minigame from Bowser's inside story where you time button presses to increase Bowser's strength and speed for 30 seconds afterwards.

Giga Bowser is lazy and unimaginative. If they wanted a way to make it playable, make it a special game mode or something. Don't rob Bowser of a decent and fitting final smash from an ACTUAL Mario game.

The smash series should do as little "self-inspiration" as possible, especially after the god-awful pile of garbage that was SSE, or have people decided that "Tabuu" should be playable now? :p

Also, someone else pointed it out: Mario and Bowser have reversed final smashes. Mario is the one who should be growing huge (ala super mushroom) and Bowser is the one who should be shooting fire.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Aside from the fact that he never looks like Giga Bowser in any of those games, sure.

Why not have Fox/Olimar jump into a vehicle that isn't theirs? Or have DK play a saxophone? Or have Ness/Lucas cast Firaga?

When I say "tons of history", I mean TONS of history.

He could:
-Pull out a chain chomp and spin it around, swinging it faster as the player times A button presses.
-Be able to shoot powerful fireballs directly in front of him.
-Summon 5 Koopa kids who behave like level 5 bots and fight for him until KOed.
-Summon his airship to firebomb the screen.
-Play a minigame from Bowser's inside story where you time button presses to increase Bowser's strength and speed for 30 seconds afterwards.

Giga Bowser is lazy and unimaginative. If they wanted a way to make it playable, make it a special game mode or something. Don't rob Bowser of a decent and fitting final smash from an ACTUAL Mario game.

The smash series should do as little "self-inspiration" as possible, especially after the god-awful pile of garbage that was SSE, or have people decided that "Tabuu" should be playable now? :p

Also, someone else pointed it out: Mario and Bowser have reversed final smashes. Mario is the one who should be growing huge (ala super mushroom) and Bowser is the one who should be shooting fire.
Those ideas really sound rushed and not very unimaginative, heck you even contradicted the point you were trying to make in having something he actually does in one of his games, I mean, summon 5 koopa kids on screen? Really? It's like you are just desperate to have him gone. But we can't deny that growing big is like second nature to the King of Koopas.

Giga Bowser still does more justice than the other points you proposed. He does that more often than any mini game from Inside Story or a one-time weapon from SMRPG. And he looks like Giga Bowser because having him just grow with the same appearance as he normally does wouldn't have the same effect, but Gigs just shows off this powerful vibe. Honestly, I don't know why the false accusations of being lazy and unimaginative when the general consensus is that it has a sweet design. It just comes off as you having a reckless and unjustified hatred for the guy. Better brace yourself cause we are gonna see him again and boy you are gonna be disappointed.

You know that if Smash haven't had any self-inspiration, Captain Falcon wouldn't have had the move-set he has today, do you? Hell, nowadays game devs get criticized for being uninspired and unoriginal, and yet crazy fans pop out and say that they should be "less self-inspirational". Some much for supporting creativity, dude.

As for Mario's Final Smash, I know I sound like a broken disc, but it is faithful. It is based off the stronger versions of the fireball move in Super Mario RPG, specifically the Ultra Flame. He also has a dispersing fireball as his item in Mario Kart Double Dash, so there you go.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Those ideas really sound rushed and not very unimaginative
I agree. They don't sound very unimaginative at all.

Also, you're arguing that reusing a boss skin from melee is more imaginative than coming up with something new. Seriously?

Giga Bowser still does more justice than the other points you proposed.
So a boss from melee that was loosely based on Bowser does more justice as a final smash for him than something from the near 20 years he was around prior? By your logic, Mario should turn into Master Hand because he resembles Mario's glove. :p

In what Mario game does Bowser freeze people solid? Or zap them with electricity? Because GB does both of those. GB is just a remodel of Bowser with additional effects added to his attacks that in no way, shape or form represents Bowser.

You know that if Smash haven't had any self-inspiration, Captain Falcon wouldn't have had the move-set he has today, do you?
Captain Falcon's moveset is based upon speed and hand to hand combat, two things he's good at.

GB's moveset is, let's be honest, based upon reusing Bowser as boss to save time on rushing melee to release. Using him as a final smash is about on par with basing a final smash on something from Mario fanfiction (though it also manages to be even less original).

As for Mario's Final Smash, I know I sound like a broken disc, but it is faithful. It is based off the stronger versions of the fireball move in Super Mario RPG, specifically the Ultra Flame. He also has a dispersing fireball as his item in Mario Kart Double Dash, so there you go.
So it's okay for Mario's final smash to be an obscure move from Mario RPG, but it's not okay for Bowser's to be something from Inside Story?

I think the VAST majority of people, when asked what Mario does, would say that he grows larger. And he's STILL doing it in the NSMB games...

Look, if there was some kind of precedent for characters to have final smashes from the SSB series instead of their own games, that'd be one thing (like Mario summons master hand and Wario summons crazy hand). But as it stands, Bowser is the ONLY character with a final smash that originated from the SSB series instead of the games he has been in.

Some of us actually like the character of Bowser and would prefer to see him with a final smash that actually fits him instead of the lazy reuse of a melee boss that was a lazy reusing to begin with.

And no, I don't expect it to change. Sakurai was lazy in creating it. Why would he now find the drive to change it? :p

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Oh ho, quoting me by parts and ignoring or downplaying the points I made, guess this is how it feels to talk against a wall :p

In what Mario game does Bowser freeze people solid? Or zap them with electricity? Because GB does both of those. GB is just a remodel of Bowser with additional effects added to his attacks that in no way, shape or form represents Bowser.
Of course he is a remodel; he gets big (just like in the mario games) plus the addition of an appearance change to look more intimidating. Already explained why.
And the electricity and ice he produces? A better question would be:

Captain Falcon's moveset is based upon speed and hand to hand combat, two things he's good at.
And yet all of his moves are original and none of them come from his games.

So it's okay for Mario's final smash to be an obscure move from Mario RPG, but it's not okay for Bowser's to be something from Inside Story?
Oh no, it is ok. Bowser gets big in Inside Story, and aspect which Giga Bowser draws from.

I think the VAST majority of people, when asked what Mario does, would say that he grows larger. And he's STILL doing it in the NSMB games...
Not as often as Bowser though...

Look, if there was some kind of precedent for characters to have final smashes from the SSB series instead of their own games, that'd be one thing (like Mario summons master hand and Wario summons crazy hand). But as it stands, Bowser is the ONLY character with a final smash that originated from the SSB series instead of the games he has been in.
That is right, there is no precedent for that, just as there are no rules set on stone saying that a FS must be 100% based of a game.

Some of us actually like the character of Bowser and would prefer to see him with a final smash that actually fits him instead of the lazy reuse of a melee boss that was a lazy reusing to begin with.
Most of us actually like the character of Bowser and prefer to see him with a final smash that actually fits him like Giga Bowser.

What is ironic is that you accuse the design for being a lazy reuse from Melee, yet you want Bowser to reuse something from his old games. That is the only reasoning I can see for that childish rage against the guy. You aren't really finding any reasons of why it doesn't "fit" either, any attempts at that end up summarized as "I don't like how the he looks", that is your opinion; but lowering yourself to name calling and attacking it just because other people prefer him is kind of petty.

In case I didn't drove home the point of Bowser getting big in most of his games (because of course what I said so far is going to be ignored, again), here are some images representing the examples I stated:

Big

Big

Big

Big (You know, I think, I think I'm seeing a patter here).

Oh look, you wanted something from Inside Story and here it is! Big.

And finally,

Big and scary looking.

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
@ Ryu Myuutsu Ryu Myuutsu
Very much all of this, thank you. ^^ In a way, I would prefer Bowser having a different Final Smash, tbh, but Giga Bowser is Epic ad fits him very well already.
And him getting Just 'Big' like in his games would look very boring. Not only can ALL charactes turn giant (making Giant Bowser nothing special at all), but Giga already does that, and with a badass desin already.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Oh ho, quoting me by parts and ignoring or downplaying the points I made, guess this is how it feels to talk against a wall :p
I quoted the points that were relevant, and don't try to pretend that you've not been downplaying the parts of my argument you cannot counter.

Let's simplify this: do you have ANY other point other than "Bowser grows big and so does Giga Bowser"? (and FYI, Mario grows big in these games probably around 100 times while Bowser only does once, that's why one of Mario's taunts is growing big).

Better yet: show me the Mario game where Giga Bowser appeared.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Eh, this is silly.

It's an argument of semantics and opinion. This'll never go anywhere.

Let's just agree to disagree.

Also, they should probably merge the two threads...

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Yo, look at it like this: Mecha Zangeif in MvC.

Was it from a Street Fighter Game? Nope.

Did anyone care that it wasn't from Sf relevance with that hyper combo? Nope.

Was it a cool addition that made them stand out and give them more personality in the game? Yep.

That's the main public's opinion on Giga Bowser as well.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
That's the main public's opinion on Giga Bowser as well.
I really don't want to restart this argument, but unless you have a poll that popped up in SSBB which asked players what they thought of GB, this statement cannot be backed up.

Don't "invoke unnamed multitudes", like "Everyone says ______". Scott Adams cited that as one of the "Weasel Debating Techniques" for a reason.

I say the whole argument is pointless. I wouldn't mind a different final smash for Bowser, but I don't expect one. Everyone else is entitled to their own opinion on the subject.

However, how relevant is it? I mean, how many competitive matches are we going to see GB show up in?

That's right: 0.

TeamFlareZakk

I wouldn't mind a final smash for Bowser, but only if Giga Bowser was made his own character and before you jump to the conclusion of Giga Bowser shouldn't be added, I mean as a DLC character.

Giga Bowser to me seems like a DLC character, you know a extra added to the game later on after the release, and though we don't know if this game would even have any, if they did, Giga Bowser would be a good idea for a DLC character.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
If you ask me.. I want some Star Rod action from the Paper Mario series.

Though I doubt it since Kirby.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I hope Giga Bowser just doesn't return honestly, but I understand that there are some who liked him... Somehow. So maybe an alternate and obviously smaller, costume would do. Bowser's Final Smash should revolve around his Clown Car somehow, or the Star Rod, there are plenty of options that they COULD give him for a Final Smash.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I hope Giga Bowser just doesn't return honestly, but I understand that there are some who liked him... Somehow. So maybe an alternate and obviously smaller, costume would do. Bowser's Final Smash should revolve around his Clown Car somehow, or the Star Rod, there are plenty of options that they COULD give him for a Final Smash.
His final smash should be called "Bad Father" and it should summon the koopa kids to misbehave all over the stage while Bowser drinks a beer and gives zero f**ks about it.

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

I wouldn't mind Giga Bowser being a Alternate Costume.

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
If Giga Bowser doesn't return, then give Bowser something that suits his new self.

If yes, then know this:
GIGA BOWSER DROPKICKING FOOLS WILL BE THE MOST EPIC THING IN SMASH. EVER.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
If Giga Bowser doesn't return, then give Bowser something that suits his new self.

If yes, then know this:
GIGA BOWSER DROPKICKING FOOLS WILL BE THE MOST EPIC THING IN SMASH. EVER.
I couldn't see Gig Bowser having that drop kick move. I wouldn't mind seeing Giga Bowser return but only if he has the same stance and head smash attack as Melee and Brawl Bowser. Giga Bowser should be a hulking mess regarding posture.

Top Bottom