• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Get On My Level 2016 Recap

Get on My Level has finally wrapped up, and after an amazing weekend There was quite a story going in with Melee and Smash 4 alongside Brawl and Smash 64 all having tournaments at the event. For everyone who missed this fantastic Canadian major, here's a recap of the event.​

Ally, the Canadian Crusader

Photo by Robert Paul (@tempusrob)​

If someone told you Ally was going to win all 3 of his events before this weekend, would you have believed him?
Whether you would have or not, it's incredible to think that Ally was able to take Brawl singles, Smash 4 Doubles and Smash 4 Singles, winning every event he entered at GoML. With wins over Nairo and M2K in doubles, and wins over Larry Lurr, MK Leo, ANTi and of course, ZeRo in singles, this weekend has easily been Ally's best tournament showing in a long time, if not ever.

The Return of TSM | Leffen

Photo by Robert Paul (@tempusrob)​

After a disappointing showing of 9th place at EGLX, losing to Axe and Duck, Leffen took the time between it and GoML to compose himself, and with it, won GoML singles, defeating every other god in attendance, and marking the first time a player has defeated 4 gods in one tournament, defeating one after another starting from Winners Quarters. Leffen didn't drop a set the entire tourney, and showed why he can make Melee as hype as it can be.

Sauga Hyenas takes 1st in Melee crew battles

Photo by Get on My Level (@GOML_Smash)​

With how strong Toronto's line up was in crews, it was a surprise to see them fall in Finals against Sauga Hyenas. With 6 stocks to spare, Nightmare was able to close out the final game against Ryan Ford, the Toronto team's Anchor. Though Toronto lost in the finals, they were still able to prove that they're a region not to be slept on, and Ontario showed that they were the strongest region in all of Canada, with 3 of their teams in Top 4, the last team being Alberta. While Ontario did extremely well, it is sad that Montreal did not compete in the crew battles, as it would have been exciting to see how they and Kage the Warrior would have done in the crew battles.

Melee Crew Battle standings:

1st - Sauga Hyenas
2nd - Toronto
3rd - Alberta, Ottawa
5th - New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Winnipeg
7th - Prince Edward Island, Quebec City, Sudbury

Ontario Takes 1st in Smash 4 Crew Battles

Seeded 1st, Ontario took 1st to defend their regions honor, proving that Ontario is the strongest of all regions in Canada, in both Melee and Smash 4. Ontario A was able to win the crew battle with 5 stocks to spare, Blacktwins taking a total of 5 stocks against the last 2 members of Alberta, Alphicans and Exodia, and only losing 1 himself. You can see one of his amazing 0-deaths below.

http://oddshot.tv/shot/egeofficial-2016052131826569

Smash 4 Crew Battle standings:

1st - Ontario A
2nd - Alberta
3rd - Michigan A, Nova Scotia
5th - Kitchener-Waterloo, Nova Scotia, Ontario B, Sauga Hyenas
7th - Michigan B, New Brunswick, Peel

CLG's PewFat Rises Above the Gods

Photo by Robert Paul (@tempusrob)
After their win at Smash Summit, it's good to see CLG's PewPewU and SFAT take 1st once again in doubles. The 2 players were able to overcome all other teams, including the team of Armada/Shroomed, Leffen/Hungrybox and Mango/Lucky. What came to most people's surprise was the lack of Armada, Hungrybox or Mew2King in Grand Finals of the doubles event, as Mango and Lucky were able to beat both the team Armada/Shroomed and the team of Leffen/Hungrybox. Mango and Lucky were able to reset Grands as well, but fell short when it came to closing the final set, falling 2-3 to PewFat.

Melee Doubles standings:

1st - CLG PewPewU/CLG SFAT
2nd - C9 Mango/Lucky
3rd - TSM RB Leffen/Liquid Hungrybox
4th- [A] Armada/WFX Shroomed
5th - Tempo Westballz/SPY MacD and DJ Nintendo/CT The Moon
7th - COG Wizzrobe/SPY Nintendude and Ryan Ford/LP Raynex

ANTi and Ally: Double Mario Gods

While some were surprised that the team of Mew2King and Nairo lost to ANTi and Ally, others who knew of how good the 2 Marios are in doubles were not surprised in the slightest. The only shock that came from the 2 teams sets is how 1 sided it seemed to be for the team of ANTi and Ally. By the end of Grand Finals, Ally and ANTi were pulling off enough insane plays to fill next week's EvenMatchupGaming's Play of the Week. ANTi and Ally won the doubles event, only dropping 1 game in all of top 16.

Smash 4 Doubles standings:

1st - ANTi/Ally
2nd - Liquid Nairo/FOX MVG Mew2King
3rd - LLL Mr.R/iStudying
4th- SS Mr.E/iQHQ DKwill
5th - Oblivion/GGA JJRockets and #THE FAD Larry Lurr/C3PO
7th - AGN PikaPika!/AGN K.I.D Goggles and smasher1001/Pulse Technology

Canadian Brawl Champion Ally

Canada showed up in the Brawl event at GoML thanks to 2 of its best, Ally and V115. Top 2 of Brawl ended up being Canada vs Canada, with V115 being able to upset ANTi twice in Winners Semi's and Losers Finals. With momentum from Losers Finals, V115 was able to take a set off of Ally in Grands, marking him as the only player able to take a set off of Ally all weekend, but was not able to finish the 2nd set, allowing Ally to win his 2nd event at the time.

Brawl Singles standings:

1st - Ally :snake:
2nd - V115 :zerosuitsamus:
3rd - ANTi :metaknight:
4th - Alphicans :falco::gw:
5th - Holy :metaknight: and [T.T.D]PBK | EMG | Blacktwins :metaknight:
7th - Croi :wario:and DKbill :dk2:

The Bomb that is SuPeRbOoM

Photo by Get on My Level (Photo by Get on My Level (@GOML_Smash)​

SuPeRbOoM proves once again that he is the best Canadian resident in Smash 64, and why he is considered a top 5 Smash 64 player in the world, taking 1st over TR3GTheZ in Grand finals. In top 32 of Smash 64, SuPeRbOoM only dropped one game in total, that game being taken by KeroKeroppi in Winners Finals, who took 3rd in the event.

Smash 64 standings:

1st - SuPeRbOoM :pikachu64::kirby64:
2nd - TR3G The Z :pikachu64::fox64::yoshi64:
3rd - KeroKeroppi :pikachu64:
4th - Revan:kirby64:
5th - Wizzrobe:yoshi64: and derek #squats:pikachu64:
7th - YBOMBB:jigglypuff64::falcon64: and Bark the Shark(Bark Sanchez):pikachu64:

The Bracket of Upsets: Smash 4

Game after game, players upset others over the course of the weekend. After Leap of Faiths Blue took a game off of ZeRo to start Top 96, we knew this weekend would be one to remember. From Alberta's resident Little Mac Resident almost making Top 8 over Nairo, to Mew2King's 3-0 over Zero in Winners Quarters, the weekend was filled with ups and downs that Smash 4 viewers should remember for a while. Top 8 was one of the oddest we've seen in a while, with Zero, Nairo, Mr.R and ANTi in Losers side and Mew2King, Ally, MK Leo and Larry Lurr sitting in the Winners side of it. Larry and Ally were able to defeat their opponents, and played in Winners Finals, where Ally got his revenge for his 2 losses at NEW FISH earlier this month. ZeRo, coming all the way from Losers Round 4, was able to defeat San, Mr.R, MK Leo, Nairo and Larry Lurr, showing that even after an almost 3 month hiatus, he should still be considered the best Smash 4 player at this point in time. His set with Ally certainly shook the venue, but in the end, with the crowd on his side, Ally was able to clutch out Game 5 of Set 1, marking this as his 1st Major won, and making him the 2nd player to take a tournament over ZeRo since his ridiculous tournament streak.

Smash 4 Singles standings.

1st - Ally :4mario:
2nd - TSM | ZeRo :4diddy::4sheik:
3rd - #THE FAD | Larry Lurr :4fox:
4th - Liquid | Nairo :4zss:
5th - FOX MVG | Mew2King :4cloud2: and SF | MK Leo :4metaknight::4cloud2::4marth:
7th - ANTi :4mario::4sheik::4diddy: and LLL | Mr.R :4sheik:

Melee Top 8 at its finest

Top 8 at GoML was a great Top 8, and kept viewers on the edge of their seats. n0ne, defender of Canada, made Top 8 through losers where he lost to Lucky in an intense five-game set. Canada was behind his back, but he wasn't able to beat Lucky, who seemed to be playing on fire this entire tournament, quickly defeating Westballz 3-0 right after to make it to Top 4. Mango on the other side of losers also did amazingly, defeating both Shroomed and Armada 3-1, reaching Losers Semis, where he beat Lucky, and then defeated Hungrybox once again. His final showdown against Leffen was ended quickly however, with Leffen taking the 1st set 3-1. With Leffen back at his prime, the Summer of Smash should surely be interesting.

1st - TSM | Leffen :foxmelee:
2nd - C9 | Mango:foxmelee::falcomelee::marthmelee:
3rd - Liquid | Hungrybox :jigglypuffmelee:
4th - Lucky :foxmelee:
5th - [A] Armada :foxmelee::peachmelee: and Tempo | Westballz :falcomelee:
7th - WFX | Shroomed :sheikmelee: EMG | n0ne :falconmelee:

----------------------------------
This wraps up GoML 2016. Please drop a comment below on your favorite moment from GOML in the comments below and stay tuned to Smashboards for future previews and recaps of upcoming major events.

Comments

Super fun tournament to watch, plenty of upsets a lot of hype stuff like Mango v Lucky, Hbox v Leffen, Leo v Zero, and Ally v Zero.

That said the crowd was ****in obnoxious, I don't care if you don't like a player, show some respect. Tired of players getting **** on for not 'bringing the hype'.

OMG Hugs vs n0ne in losers though! Probably the most I've ever sweated watching melee singles, n0ne almost brought it back game 5!... and got bodied last stock.

Melee top 8 was hype as hell. n0ne making it into top 8 with falcon? And Lucky out placing Armada? That's insane! Leffen winning the tournament was actually awesome on his part, with all of this crap his been into with the visa issues, he definitely deserved that win.

And Smash 4 had a crazy bumpy road that ended insane! ZeRo losing to M2K in winners and then getting eliminated by Ally was a major upset upon many fans. There were also some crazy matches besides those, but that stand out the most imo. Ally deserves that win for sure. His adaptation is CRAZY AND INHUMAN!! GOML 2016 was the best tournament I've ever seen.

Melee top 8 was hype as hell. n0ne making it into top 8 with falcon? And Lucky out placing Armada? That's insane! Leffen winning the tournament was actually awesome on his part, with all of this crap his been into with the visa issues, he definitely deserved that win.

And Smash 4 had a crazy bumpy road that ended insane! ZeRo losing to M2K in winners and then getting eliminated by Ally was a major upset upon many fans. There were also some crazy matches besides those, but that stand out the most imo. Ally deserves that win for sure. His adaptation is CRAZY AND INHUMAN!! GOML 2016 was the best tournament I've ever seen.
Ehhh ZeRo losing to Ally isn't really a major upset.. But I pretty much agree with the rest! Can't wait till EVO/CEO/SSC

Mew2king did f**king amazing. I honestly wanted him to take 1st so bad.

EDIT: I mean't in Smash 4. He still did great in melee, but Smash 4 proved his potential.

Last edited:
For brawl to not have any "legit" combos that was one of the best 0 to deaths I've seen in grand finals by V.

Not only was this the best tournament of the year so far, it also caused the petition to get over 100K signs. Which is the best thing to come out of he tournament in my opinion.

Wait, I came 7th in Brawl? I remember reading that 7th and higher placed in the money. How much did I get?

It's worth noting that it's Quebec (Montreal specifically) and not Ontario that is the strongest region in Canada for smash 4 nearly uncontested. They just didn't have anyone available to play in crews on Friday night.

Was really happy to be a part of this and grateful for the chance to commentate smash 4 top 32!

Last edited:
M2K obliterating Zero
Right!? Watching that unfold was like- is this happening?!? I learned a lot about how to play against diddy watching that too (hah obviously not at that level but still)

N0ne was great to watch and very cool to see falcon make an incredible showing. Hats off to leffen as well really seriously surpassing even the hypest expectations.

For melee doubles I am so happy PewpewU and Sfat won! They definitely worked so hard and on paper were not favored.
Smash4 doubles? Man Mario is scary 0_o
Congrats to all the entrants.

Last edited:
Not sure if you can call it a "win". Without the broken finger, ZeRo could have taken that. If i want him to lose, I want him to lose because of skill, not some injury that handicaps his game play. To me, it seems like a young teenager beating up on an old man with no arm, but eh. Congrats, I guess.

Last edited:
Not sure if you can call it a "win". Without the broken finger, ZeRo could have taken that. If i want him to lose, I want him to lose because of skill, not some injury that handicaps his game play. To me, it seems like a young teenager beating up on an old man with no arm, but eh. Congrats, I guess.
right so his injury hurt him so much that he could 3-0 nario... ally never fought his diddy before and has crazy amounts of zinoto exp Ally was also playing out of his mind yeah zero hurt his finger but the way he was playing you wouldnt know. its rude to zero to john for him and its rude to ally to discredit his win

Brawl was freaking hype V115 was playing so damn good seeing top level ZSS play at this point in brawl is a treat. anti vs V was so good to and ally vs V was amazing.

smash 4 side i honestly am speechless about how GF went for doubles and singles was insanely hype loved seeing zero here. N0ne also played so damn well in melee i was sad he lost but still dude mad props he definitely makes falcon look like a threat still

No mention of derek's insane loser's run in Smash 64? That's easily one of the biggest highlights of the event by far.

Last edited:
This looks like fun, once everything back home is finished, I'm going to compete and show how good I can be (Probably would win a match or two but not make it all that far).

Uhhh, maybe. But it probably wouldn't make that much sense considering it's a Canadian tourney and it's sounds rather casual. If any of us were to be in that right now, we'd probably suck.

Top Bottom