• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Does anyone remember this?

It looks cool but isn't very reliable. If the opponent is very light, or is at high percentage, it takes fewer frames for them to fly away, meaning the u-tilt hitbox might not capture them until they are already outside of ICs' grab range. It's also affected by the opponent's DI; depending on their trajectory out of d-throw, the u-tilt could miss their hurtbox entirely.

Fly's inescapable Blizzard trick reminded me that I've been meaning to test this "combo" as a low percentage Wobble setup. At low percentages, if you walk forward slightly with Nana, I think the u-tilt will capture most characters independent of DI. And, since their initial velocity is lower, there's low risk of them being captured in the u-tilt out of grab range. It might be especially useful against bigger characters that you can't d-throw chaingrab, like Samus and Peach.

This wouldn't work in versions 1.02+, because the weak hits of u-tilt are always SDIable. It might be unreliable even in earlier versions, because the first few hits would still do >1% damage, giving the opponent a small window to SDI (assuming the u-tilt is fresh). In version 1.0 I haven't ever seen someone DI out of a fresh, synched u-tilt, but that's probably because a synched u-tilt stales to sub-1% damage twice as fast as a solo u-tilt.
ROFL this is still one of my favorite CGs, even though I never use it.
I think in 1.0, you can SDI synced utilt when it's fresh... I'm not 100% sure but I don't know why you wouldn't be able to.
I wish I had a copy of 1.0 to play around with to test this.

By Popo marth slayer, do you mean just have popo shield next to the ledge, and just shield->punish the on stage up-b?
marth slayer is when you roll over to the edge, then light shield and angle it down and away (toward the ledge). This will cause you to fall to the edge whenever marth upBs, forcing him to either go to the stage, where you can punish his crazy cooldown from landing with upB, or just die because you are on the edge.
there are a few things marth can do to deal with it, but it works very very well as an edgeguarding tool against him.

I forgot to respond this earlier, but I've had a similar idea myself and know from testing that it doesn't work. Yoshi can parry the frame immediately after egg lay, leaving no window for a grab (or anything else) to actually hit him right after the move finishes. The best you can probably do is make a good read on what he does after egg lay and punish that.
interesting, thanks for pointing that out, I wouldn't have guessed that.
you would still be able to hit yoshi while he's in the egg lay animation though, correct? I know it's a pretty small window, but I'm assuming it's doable.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
ROFL this is still one of my favorite CGs, even though I never use it.
I think in 1.0, you can SDI synced utilt when it's fresh... I'm not 100% sure but I don't know why you wouldn't be able to.
I wish I had a copy of 1.0 to play around with to test this.
I believe you can as well, but from what I remember, multihit moves stale themselves (each hit is entered separately into the stale moves queue), and u-tilt deals less than 1% damage after the first 2 or 3 hits. Each fresh hit only has 3 frames of hitlag, so there's a pretty small window to escape. For synched u-tilt, ICs share a stale moves queue so once Nana's u-tilt connects it should be inescapable.

Not 100% sure on any of this, so take it with a grain of salt and I'll investigate tomorrow. I'm especially not sure about the multihit move staling, because if each hit were entered separately, ICs could reset their entire moveset... with a single u-tilt or Blizzard. Doesn't seem quite right, but if it is that's pretty cool.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
interesting, thanks for pointing that out, I wouldn't have guessed that.
you would still be able to hit yoshi while he's in the egg lay animation though, correct? I know it's a pretty small window, but I'm assuming it's doable.
He's only vulnerable right at the start of the animation. He's invincible as soon the victim disappears and remains invincible until the move ends.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Time to correct myself. Here's how multihit staling works:

- As soon as the first weak hit connects, the move is entered into the stale moves queue
- All subsequent hits do less damage as a result*
- The first hit of u-tilt does 1% damage
- All subsequent hits, whether synched or solo, do less than 1%
- The opponent has 3 frames of hitlag to SDI; after that, there is no way to escape (for solo u-tilt)
- From what I could tell, ASDI isn't enough to escape the first hit

So, d-throw -> u-tilt regrab should be difficult to escape at low percents (in version 1.0), unless there's something I'm overlooking. If the u-tilt is staled at all, there shouldn't be any way to escape.

*One unimportant consequence of this is that synched u-tilt actually does less damage than solo u-tilt x2, because Nana's u-tilt is registered before Popo's finishes, causing his strong hit to do less damage. Also, only the first hit that connect with an opponent is entered, so in the end, each multihit move only occupies one space in the stale moves queue.

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Double post because **** the police.

Im doing a couple IC ditto mms this weekend, including one with Dizz.
Ive been thinking about the mu a fair bit since that last set I posted and am really excited to try some new stuff out. Hopefully I'll be able to get them (or at least me vs dizz) recorded.

I feel like the ditto is pretty undeveloped and there isn't a whole lot of information on it in general, but Im pretty pumped to try and integrate things like shield stun desync nanapults and a few other things into my play for the mu (and in general).

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
pgh doesn't like ICs very much, so I wasn't surprised by that lol.
I'm really hoping there will be some other recording setups, if not we should just muscle our way onto the stream :p

I'm also always down to show people stupid IC tech, I'll teach you the ways!

SuperFangChan

Practice more.
Hey all. I just wanted to introduce myself. I've been playing Smash for a bit, but I've never posted on SmashBoards before. I've started really getting into Melee and actually want to improve a lot. I typically top 8 at my locals, but that's not good enough for me. I put all my free time into practicing Melee and I do see improvement, but yeah, it's slow.

So, I'll start by posing some questions that have been bothering me that I haven't been able to solve myself.
- While dair chaingrabbing, when should I short hop, full hop, move forward, and do it in place? Most of the time, the all work, but I imagine that some versions are harder to SDI out of, which is hard to test.
- Currently, I jump with X, WD, L-Cancel, and shield with L. From here, is it worth the effort to learn to claw? I already know the pros and cons, however does anyone have testimony that it actually makes a difference or is it more of just a placebo?
- And finally, when I'm playing, what should I really focus on?

OddishGuy

Smash Journeyman
Hey all. I just wanted to introduce myself. I've been playing Smash for a bit, but I've never posted on SmashBoards before. I've started really getting into Melee and actually want to improve a lot. I typically top 8 at my locals, but that's not good enough for me. I put all my free time into practicing Melee and I do see improvement, but yeah, it's slow.

So, I'll start by posing some questions that have been bothering me that I haven't been able to solve myself.
- While dair chaingrabbing, when should I short hop, full hop, move forward, and do it in place? Most of the time, the all work, but I imagine that some versions are harder to SDI out of, which is hard to test.
- Currently, I jump with X, WD, L-Cancel, and shield with L. From here, is it worth the effort to learn to claw? I already know the pros and cons, however does anyone have testimony that it actually makes a difference or is it more of just a placebo?
- I'm just here to talk about claw :p reverse SH dair chain-grabbing is guaranteed on some characters (Ganon and Falcon IIRC), but I'm sure you want more info then that, so I'll leave it to the experts :)

- The whole claw vs. non-claw debate is kind of silly IMO. When I first started out in smash I couldn't short-hop, so rather than taking the M2K approach and grinding it out, I googled and found out that the index finger is naturally faster than the thumb and switched over to claw. I needed to switch because I physically couldn't do something at the time.
Since I've always done claw I can't really compare the two, but since then I have found some player's technical troubles rather silly. SHDL with Fox, shine OoS, Shine-grabs, AC SH Upairs with ICs, Nanapults etc. these are all techniques that seem much easier with the claw grip, and there are no downsides IMO. The obvious downside is that it takes quite a while to learn/relearn all the muslce memory, I can't really say how long since I started with it =S
All that being said, I would not recommend switching to claw. Although I do think claw is the "most efficient" way, there's no point in switching if you can do everything you need to. Fly has stated that he thinks he can get his aerials out close to frame perfectly IIRC, and many ICs are able to AC SH Upair using up on the stick + A or Z. If you've learned how to do things one way, and are consistent, there's no point in switching, you'll just set yourself back.
Kind of a sidenote but I noticed you mentioned that you WD with L. It actually shouldn't matter whether you use R or L or both, as there is no benefit one way or the other. I would urge learning to L-cancel with light press though, or Z if you can't manage it.

- Focus on the opponent (and Nana sometimes, we all know what Nana can do on her own V_V). Try to take note of what options they use in certain situations, what tech they opt for, what they do to get up from the ledge, what they use to combo, what they use to initiate and so on. Basically just note their options. There are very few times where one can cover every option, but if you take note, you can cover the relevant ones.
Not sure if that's what you were asking, if you meant something else, my B.

cupofwater

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3823-9392-3814
What stages should I lean towards against Sheik? I don't play the match up often and when I do we commonly strike to Yoshi's, and Sheiks even tend to run back to it as well. From my observations, I want to try and stay away from stages with platforms as I find myself getting hit by platform drop aerials from Sheik like falling back-airs, especially when I don't have the time to get under her and uair/utilt/usmash. How can I avoid this and reap the benefits of stages like Yoshi's and FoD?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
- I'm just here to talk about claw :p reverse SH dair chain-grabbing is guaranteed on some characters (Ganon and Falcon IIRC), but I'm sure you want more info then that, so I'll leave it to the experts :)
nah dude they can SDI out too, it's just really hard. Dthrow->dair is never guaranteed. Very useful combo tool to have though.
I prefer other CGs at low percent.

Welcome dude! I'll answer your questions the best I can.
-with dair cgs it's character dependent. Generally the best strategy is to mix up which one you are using when you can, but some variations are much better than others depending on the matchup.
I recommend just playing around with them and getting comfortable on all variations on all characters and you'll start to realize which ones don't work. it's kinda weird to explain. Usually I always opt for sh dair regrab on every character as a wobble setup or something.

-Do whatever is most comfortable. Everyone uses different methods to accomplish the same things. Sometimes this makes things harder to learn, but that's irrelevant if you get comfortable with it. I use every button on the controller for different things.

-Focus on adapting and learning. No matter what, your goal is always to improve. Focus on what is giving you trouble, why it is giving you trouble, and what you can do to counteract that.
Similarly, focus on the opposite. What is giving your opponent trouble, why it is giving them trouble, and what they can do to adapt to it.

What stages should I lean towards against Sheik? I don't play the match up often and when I do we commonly strike to Yoshi's, and Sheiks even tend to run back to it as well. From my observations, I want to try and stay away from stages with platforms as I find myself getting hit by platform drop aerials from Sheik like falling back-airs, especially when I don't have the time to get under her and uair/utilt/usmash. How can I avoid this and reap the benefits of stages like Yoshi's and FoD?
Hm. I really feel like this is a preference thing. I'm definitely not a fan of the mu on battlefield just because I think it's by far sheik's best stage.
I will also almost always go to Yoshi's or FoD, I think in most matchups they are ICs best stages. Aside from that, I think FD is easily sheik's worst stage, but most sheiks will auto-ban it against ICs.
I think Stadium is a pretty decent IC stage too. Sheik loses the top platform, which is bothersome for a lot of sheiks. You both kill off the top faster too, so you have to keep that in mind because nana is gonna get dthrow uaired all day.

I'm not a fan of dreamland because I feel like it gives her too much room and platform space and with sheik I like to suffocate her.

_Snover_

Frost Tree Pokémon
I came back from a weekly and all I can say is that I'm really disappointed. Everyone destroyed me, and I tilted after losing one match against them.

How can I improve my mentality? Even in friendlies, my mind seems to work against me. :/

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
I came back from a weekly and all I can say is that I'm really disappointed. Everyone destroyed me, and I tilted after losing one match against them.

How can I improve my mentality? Even in friendlies, my mind seems to work against me. :/
just gotta find away to relax so you don't forget everything you know. for me it's just breathing exercises and enjoying myself.

Smog

Smash Journeyman
How do I punish getup attacks, every time I try I get pushed away while in shield and cannot do anything. I heard CCing can work?

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
How do I punish getup attacks, every time I try I get pushed away while in shield and cannot do anything. I heard CCing can work?
one thing you can maybe do is just running up to them and wavedashing down just outside of getup attack range. this could help as from there you can do for any number of options

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Depending on how close you are, you can:

- Fullshield and tilt your shield forward
- Fullshield and shield SDI towards them
- Practice timing the shield grab; some characters pull away during their getup attack animation so you might have to delay a little bit

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
You can also DD desync blizzard right outside of get up attack range to bait it, then they get stuck in blizzard.

SuperFangChan

Practice more.
Alright, thanks for the replies, guys. I guess I'll just stick to how I'm holding the controller already since I can do all the IC tech already (except besynced bairs ._.)

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Alright, thanks for the replies, guys. I guess I'll just stick to how I'm holding the controller already since I can do all the IC tech already (except besynced bairs ._.)
don't worry about desynced bairs yet lol. That **** is super hard to keep going.
Just focus on developing strong fundamentals and mastering basic tech and developing really fluid movement.
Then pick up new tech a little bit at a time and eventually you'll be at the level where you can play around with super advanced stuff like that.
Or just do whatever the **** you want, thats how I did things. But I'm just way too technical and not good.

Smog

Smash Journeyman
For straight up regular DI, not SDI or anything just regular DI. Do you have to be holding the stick in the direction, before you are hit, during hitlag, or something else?
Also can you affect Nana's DI ever? Or is it always no DI from Nana?

Last edited:

IC-Rambler

Smash Cadet
Question, why is FoD commonly cited as good for ICs? I've heard plenty of weird things about IC stage preference in general. Any underlying principles to help me better understand the relationship between ICs and stages?

OddishGuy

Smash Journeyman
For straight up regular DI, not SDI or anything just regular DI. Do you have to be holding the stick in the direction, before you are hit, during hitlag, or something else?
Also can you affect Nana's DI ever? Or is it always no DI from Nana?
DI is read on the last frame of hitlag IIRC.

Question, why is FoD commonly cited as good for ICs? I've heard plenty of weird things about IC stage preference in general. Any underlying principles to help me better understand the relationship between ICs and stages?
Platform heights are nice and low or nonexistent, making platform camping unreliable for your opponent. If the side platforms are at mid-height you can hit an opponent with smashes, tilts, or blizzard approaches, while they're on the platform. This keeps you grounded, and ICs love the ground. Top platform is 3rd lowest, right above Yoshi's Story.
Also the blastzones are pretty nice. ICs aren't very heavy, so a high ceiling is beneficial.
It's kind of small for my taste. Having more room to move with IC's excellent wavedash is always appreciated, and shine not sending you straight to a ledge is nice as well :p
Riding the wall for recovery is always appreciated, but it probably helps other characters more TBH.

It's also just a really pretty stage :D

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
IC dittos are a lot of fun. I played sooo many today (I think more than Ive ever playedin my smash career combined)
Dizz kind of put me in my place, but then I got to play a lot of newer guys and try a lot of stuff out and I'm really starting to understand them more.
Its a lot of fun playing the matchup now that Im starting to get usedto it, Im hoping to find a way to play it more often.

IC stage choices are really fun to think about.
So ICs are awesome because each stage can work for them if you play accordingly. This pretty much breaks down into two kinds of IC players (small stage ICs and big stage ICs)
It's mostly a preference thing, since all the stages have different things to offer ICs.
On the one hand, a lot of ICs like room to move around.
On the other, ICs can control the smaller stages much better.
It's a little matchup dependent, but in general, I, personally, always prefer Yoshis, FoD, and BF. Each stage has a ton of ups and downs that you really need to take into account.
For example, FD, the lazy IC c/p, is incredibly polarizing for characters who can't get through blizzard walls, but also causes a lot of problems for ICs due to it also forcing them to have very linear movement. I feel this gives them a ton of trouble there against spacies, peach, and falcon.
However, a lot of ICs are incredibly comfortable here, even if it isnt their best stage in a matchup (mostly because its the only stage they know how to play on. Shots.)
So you just have to consider things like that a lot more in stage choice. I'll write more about it later.

_Snover_

Frost Tree Pokémon
I started off playing really good today, but played terribly when it counted. Oh well. :ohwell:
I know how that feels. Played against a friend in tournament this past Friday that I could have beaten but I choked. :/

SuperFangChan

Practice more.
So, I played Brawl ICs for the first time in like a year since I picked them up in Melee. I had forgot what it was like having a Nana who could take five steps without desyncing and who can actually recover (and I think she can DI?).
Even though they're worse, I like them in Melee a lot more, though.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
So, I played Brawl ICs for the first time in like a year since I picked them up in Melee. I had forgot what it was like having a Nana who could take five steps without desyncing and who can actually recover (and I think she can DI?).
Even though they're worse, I like them in Melee a lot more, though.
Brawl ICs are cute. They have a couple things I really like, and a lot of things I am not a fan of.
They play very differently from melee ICs though.
I find melee ICs much more entertaining. Movement is also just so much fun.

IC-Rambler

Smash Cadet
Guys, I've been thinking about uses for belay oos. Discuss. How do? What do? What can be done with it?
You can get Nana to edgehog with this.

Also, does anyone else find belay oos really hard? I find myself repeatedly full jumping. Am I doing it wrong?

Last edited:

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Meanwhile, I learned that vitamin B12 tablets are not a good substitute for sleep.
Nor is ephedrine a substitute for food.

You can get Nana to edgehog with this.

Also, does anyone else find belay oos really hard? I find myself repeatedly full jumping. Am I doing it wrong?
EDIT: Nevermind. If you input B too slowly, you'll just perform a regular up+B rather than the up+B desynch, but you won't fulljump. Tilting out of shield doesn't actually work (although it's still useful for autocancel u-airs and Belay ledgestall).

Last edited:

cemo

white walker
I think you have more than 1 frame leniency, just input it before you're out of jump squat. should be 3 frame leniancy, input on frame 0, 1, 2

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
I think you have more than 1 frame leniency, just input it before you're out of jump squat. should be 3 frame leniancy, input on frame 0, 1, 2
This is correct. Also, I just tested this out--scratch everything I just said.

You can ONLY jump out of shield. You can't up+B. If you fulljump, it's because you input B before you enter the jumpsquat animation; what happens is that you're still in shield, so even if you input up and B on the same frame, Popo only responds to the jump input. There is a 3 frame window for performing up+B out of shield--you can input up+B either 1, 2, or 3 frames after inputting jump.

OddishGuy

Smash Journeyman
Up-B OoS is a decent desync, and as talked about before, is super useful for edgehogging.
You can Up-B OoS to air-dodge to ledge grab, Up-B OoS to Bair to ledge grab, or even Up-B OoS to Dair for a delayed ledge grab (my favorite use), giving you lots of time to start a charge or something with Popo.

One way to guarantee that you don't press B too early is to jump with X/Y rather than just using Up on the Joystick. However you risk doing an aerial Up-B if you're too slow.

SuperFangChan

Practice more.
Speaking of getting Nana to grab ledge, one non-upb OoS way I really like is dodge roll -> jump -> uair or bair. Just drift back and Nana will grab the ledge. It's a bit safer than making her air dodge over the ledge since 1. you're putting hitboxes out, and 2. she can just double jump if the opponent grabs the ledge first. Speedwise I don't think this is necessarily slower than upb Oos since you already have to position yourself in about the same way.

Top Bottom