• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Help with Combos

icanrunfast

Smash Rookie
Hi all!

I'm relatively new to playing Ice Climbers and I love them, I think they're the most fun character in the game to play. The problems I am having with them is not being able to set up my wobble. I wobble near flawlessly when I get it, no matter how much my friends try to mash out. My only problem would be... getting the grab. I try my best not to just sit and fish for the grab but I don't really know any of the other combos. I've tried watching Fly, Nintendude, Chu Dat, and Wobbles' videos but can't seem to figure them out.

My brain likes to work in a text/voice input to output kind of way. If anyone would be able to help me out I'd be very grateful and will honor you with many a tournament victory with Popo and Nana!

Thanks so much in advance!

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
There are so many ways you can lead into wobbles, but honestly? If you're relatively new, not something that should be your first priority. Whenever we have someone new join our scene, I tell them that playing comes first, tech comes second. I would try playing some matches with your friends without wobbling first and foremost to see whether you actually like the characters or whether you just like wobbling. If you enjoy the way they feel and their movement and overall style, go into learning simple spot dodge desyncs, as well as Popo Dthrow+Nana dair. It'll help you a lot in the long run.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Don't wobble right now.
Bad.
Learn the character first.
Then incorporate wobbling.

anyway,
the first things you want to learn are basic desyncs.
the easiest to learn starting out are the Roll and Spotdodge desyncs.
basically, just roll or spotdodge, and then input either neutral B or Down B (or a smash attack or other moves once you get the hang of it) during the animation, this will make it so nana acts and popo does not.
from there, you can time moves so that each climber is acting independently. Just don't blizzard with popo.

approaching is difficult sometimes, but my favorites are:
WD jab
WD ftilt
WD Dsmash
WD grab (as a mixup)
WD Shield/spotdodge (mixups)
WD shffl Bair, nair
or (late) dair, (late) uair. But those are only for certain situations.

ICs are really good at juggling with uair, utilt, and usmash.

from a grab, aside from wobbling, learn dthrow->dair combos.

other than that, just read fly's guide.

icanrunfast

Smash Rookie
I really appreciate the help guys and I realized after a little while that trying to just wobble at first was bad.

Would you be able to explain handoffs a little? I can't really figure that out and I realize that those are SUPER important.

Once again, thanks for the help in advance!

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
handoffs are not that important as a new IC player.
Timing is different on every character, it's something you just pick up the longer you play.
If you want to practice them, start with pikachu, because he's the easiest to handoff.

but fundamentals man, look at some old chudat videos.
basic dthrow combos
that fun stuff.

Psycho_Bayleef

Smash Apprentice
I find sheik and peach to be easiest to handoff, but it's whatever. icanrunfast I suggest trying all the characters fundamentally before choosing a main. Like experimenting with their movement and just playing them. THEN, if you still plan on maining the eskimos, there's some helpful stuff already here. All of the stickied guides are phenomenally helpful. Read them all, put Wobbles's guide last. Once you start playing against good people, IC becomes very frustrating while you're still learning them. "Why is nana not listening, why won't she teleport to my belay, how do i not get split" things like that will happen.
"Why are float-cancelled fairs so busted peach is evil".

TL;DR: PLAY ALL THE CHARACTERS, IF YOU STILL MAIN ICIES DON'T LEARN WOBBLING/HANDOFFS UNTIL YOU CAN DO EVERYTHING ELSE WELL.
BEING AN IC THAT ONLY KNOWS HOW TO WOBBLE IS VERY BAAD.

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I've been doing a lot of silly wobbles things to deal with fc fairs lately, but that's totally off topic.

sheik and peach are the most comfortable for me to handoff probably.
I used to be really solid with spacies too, but I stopped practicing it and now I'm terrible.

I think it's fine if you already know how to wobble, but definitely don't focus on it. It's so bad if you don't know anything else.
You're also going to run into the occasional local that has wobbling banned, and then you're screwed if that's all you can do.

Watch a LOT of videos.
Chudat is the easiest to learn from when you're starting off and still don't understand the technical game.
Trail or UberIce are good to watch early on too.

icanrunfast

Smash Rookie
I think you guys are misunderstanding me. I main Marth currently and he's super comfortable. I play him at my highest level of play. I do have tech skill and understand that aspect of the game very thoroughly. I was just trying to learn Eskimos because I think they're the most fun character I've ever played. IMO, Marth gets SUPER BORING to play after a while. F-air, F-air, F-air, F-air... hmmm I don't know what to do next... OH I KNOW... F-air. Good spacing? F-Smash. Above me? U-air. Wanna spike? D-air. That monotonous game play makes me think I'm doing work rather than playing a game. The IC's seem fun and complex so I want to learn them.

That being said, you guys did tell me a lot of stuff that I didn't know about the IC's. I can wobble which I've found very useful with the speed I picked up the technique, but that's not the only thing I do. I've made it a point not to fish for it which someone pointed out. I did read through here and try to learn the de-syncs and down throw combos which are awesome. Thanks so much for that.

As far as everything else goes, I just need to practice said things to play the character at the level I want to. I do appreciate everything you guys have told me greatly so once again thank you for that.

I'll make you all proud.

Psycho_Bayleef

Smash Apprentice
No but on the real though, learning IC's against good players is where it gets frustrating. I get bopped by Marth/Falco/Fox mains that I can bop with my Sheik (I main IC/Sheik interchangeably). Play with them in friendlies at your locals with really good players who have ****** experience, it's the only real way to get good at the character IMO. Also get amazing at crispy movement

icanrunfast

Smash Rookie
Nice. I'll definitely keep that in mind. I really appreciate the helpful responses. I'm going to do my best to become really good with the Eskimos.

Top Bottom