• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Of course he's not "the ballot character" because there isn't just one winner, we might get multiple characters. To your second point why would Square request for Cloud to be in Smash now?
There's been two open slots since Roy and Ryu jumped in, we might be getting multiple characters from the ballot but there's no evidence that Cloud is one of them.

Also he's stupid popular for some reason and his game is getting a remake.
Which may or may not be coming to a Nintendo console at some point.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Hehe that was my error. I'm just saying that Cloud might be a ballot character and even if he was what would be the problem?
The problem is that there are other, more popular characters to add. Also, considering Sakurai said he anticipated popularity for Royu and Lucas and how Cloud barely had any demand, it suggests this is pre-ballot

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
I can just imagine the Death Battle fans that have Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U.

Thoughts about Cloud Strife's inclusion: He's alright. Fits in as an iconic gaming figure well enough like the first party and the other third party all-stars. Unfortunate that I've never played Final Fantasy 7, so his moveset, not him as a character, would have to win me over. Not off to a great start with that Ike-looking Final Smash, unless he has more than one? I don't understand the limit break part that people are talking about. Is that a gimmick? If one of my sisters wants to have him as a playable fighter, she would have to give me the money. On the bright side, he's at the front of my DLC "get fighter" priority if I am to eventually get all the current ones. (I have Roy already)

Aye. Here's hoping to fancying the offers the special announcement in December will make.
Fun fact Ike Final Smash is a Rip-Off of Cloud Omnislash . Cloud came before Ike. Blame Ike for ripping off Cloud IMHO.

MYU2

Smash Apprentice
The problem is that there are other, more popular characters to add. Also, considering Sakurai said he anticipated popularity for Royu and Lucas and how Cloud barely had any demand, it suggests this is pre-ballot
You do know that the ballot isn't a popularity contest right? Just because the character is popular doesn't mean he/she is 100%. It's all up to Sakurai on who he chooses. As long as the character got votes (Cloud sure did), they're automatically considered

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You do know that the ballot isn't a popularity contest right? Just because the character is popular doesn't mean he/she is 100%. It's all up to Sakurai on who he chooses. As long as the character got votes, they're automatically considered
I love how this literally does nothing to my argument. However, you DO realize that Sakurai mentioned overall popularity being anticipated then? Why start ballot characters before the Ballot is even over? Not to mention if a character isn't popular, they won't sell as much

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
I love how this literally does nothing to my argument. However, you DO realize that Sakurai mentioned overall popularity being anticipated then? Why start ballot characters before the Ballot is even over? Not to mention if a character isn't popular, they won't sell as much
Hence why Shovel Knight and Shantae are unlikely. Given how they have zero popularity in Japan, they are not marketable over there like Cloud, Lucas, Roy, Ryu, and Mewtwo. Thus, the only way they could sell at all is by virtue of simply being a new character.

MYU2

Smash Apprentice
Your argument was?

Crimson23

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0662-3915-4434
Hm.
I'd actually like to see Kamek included of we're getting a Mario rep. At this point, he's the only relevant Mario character that has good moveset potential that isn't in Smash yet.
I think Bandana Dee is actually very, very likely. He's popular, brings new stuff to the table, advertises new games and others.
I think Wolf is practically a shoo-in, but if we're getting a DK rep it's going to be Dixie, not K.Rool (as much as I'd like K.Rool... :( But hey, Dixie's cool.)
Impa seems pretty nice. A bit unlikely, but nice.
The Inklings seem very likely as Gamexplain...well, explained. Just throw in every weapon they have and a few kinda 'use whatever you have' movesets. Eg:Villager, Wii Fit Trainer.

SuperTorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperTorn
The Smash Ballot is most likely suggestive and based on popularity at the same time. From what I see, Sakurai mentioned he doesn't want anyone he CAN'T see being a fighter, and he also mentioned the next couple of DLC's will be fanservice. Taking this into consideration, let's say the Smash Ballot is the source to the next couple of DLC's (hoping that the Cloud DLC was the last pre-ballot character to be DLC), that means the most viable and popular characters get picked. Cloud was the only exception for him being high demand in Japan (for whatever reason) before the ballot, so I guess Cloud was just to satisfy Japanese fans.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
:4gaw::4rob: cannot really be considered curveballs in SSB4 if we already expected them to come back. :p
A lot of time, the curveball is fully intentional.

For Example: We all counted Toon Link out because he is in the background of a stage. This is a logical conclusion. Sakurai set us up to be shocked by Toon Link.
Same with Meta Knight, to a smaller degree, having been demonstrated as a Mii hat first.
In the direct, Zero Suit Samus was a shock.

SHOCK is a huge thing for Sakurai; he continually sets us up for it.

The only character who really seems unwarranted is Greninja, who was chosen based on no personal standards, and essentially, is the Roy of this generation. Cool elemental fighter to promote the next game. This is unpredictable because it breaks the morality of Sakurai's other choices.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I think the Shovel Knight rumor has been just about killed off now. Shovel Knight was said to be the next DLC character released, but it's clear as crystal that it's Cloud, as if it were Shovel Knight then they'd reveal him first, just like how Lucas was the first DLC character released and revealed, rendering the rumor, false. Shovel Knight will not be the first character released, and I'm willing to wager he may not even be in the game. Goes to show that even people with perfect track records can be wrong. I hope we can move on from this and learn from this experience, by never believing a rumor again unless it's aquired from datamining. You can now sleep easy with it out of the way. Good day!

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I agree with your post as a whole, but that was just ripe for me to poke at.
I'm also gonna do a rant about 3rd Party characters as a whole in a bit.
Buckle your pants, folks.

Consider them buckled!

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Oh boy it's gonna be a long one isn't it?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
In terms of character completion, I think something like this could be feasible for how long a character gets developed.

Mewtwo: Late October - Late December
Release Date: Mid-Late April

Lucas:
Late December - Early February
Release Date: Mid June

Roy:
Early February - Early March

Ryu: Early March - Early May

Cloud: Early May - Early July
Release Date: Mid December (possibly)

Wolf: Early July - Mid August

Other DLC Character: Mid August - Mid October

Snake (possibly): Mid October - Mid December
Release Date: February/March 2016 (possibly)

Mind you the above doesn't take in to consideration testing, legal stuff, and getting VA's to voice the characters so the characters would take some more time even after completed. It's just a guess I had based on how development could have gone down for these characters.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am more curious about what SmashChu has to say about this considering he's opposed to any more third-party characters in Smash.

D

Deleted member

I think Shovel Knight is still a wait and see thing. But it's like very unlikely.

SwordOfSeals

Smash Cadet
In terms of character completion, I think something like this could be feasible for how long a character gets developed.

Mewtwo: Late October - Late December
Release Date: Mid-Late April

Lucas:
Late December - Early February

Roy:
Early February - Early March

Ryu: Early March - Early May

Cloud: Early May - Early July

Wolf: Early July - Mid August

Other DLC Character: Mid August - Mid October

Snake (possibly): Mid October - Mid December
Release Date: February/March 2016 (possibly)

Mind you the above doesn't take in to consideration testing, legal stuff, and getting VA's to voice the characters so the characters would take some more time even after completed. It's just a guess I had based on how development could have gone down for these characters.
You made a good point, I said the exact same thing about character completion being about two months LOL look back in the thread and I said something similar to this, I'm betting on Rayman and Snake as the last two characters by the way guys

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Voice Over Artists would be booked less than a day for the smal amount of content in the game that is voiced.
Any character would need maybe 2 hours, and would be booked extra time just for safety.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I think Shovel Knight is still a wait and see thing. But it's like very unlikely.
At this point, if I could predict his likelihood, I'd say he's about as likely as Parapa the Rapper.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You have a really good point. I wonder if Push still thinks he'll be in. But yeah he's pretty unlikely.
Push does, but that doesn't help the rumor considering my friend Neo, who knows just as much about the rumor as he does, doesn't believe it anymore, not to mention Push has been wrong before, such as us only getting two more DLC characters left. However I still think he's an awesome guy and truely respect him as a person. But yeah the rumor's most likely fake, and Push has somewhat resorted to straw grasping at this point. I consider it dead.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere

I read on some sites that besides Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy and Ryu, there will be only 6 DLC characters (on the 3DS, maybe there are more on the Wii) The just-announced Cloud is one of the six characters.
If you sort the roster properly, there must be exactly six characters are placed:

Color codes upper picture:
Blue = character available from the start
Red = character to be played first
Yellow = DLC character
NOTE: The characters with the smashball icon are characters which we do not know.
First row: Mario = we may get a DLC Mario character (Captain Toad?)
Second row: Donkey Kong / Zelda / Metroid = We will get a DLC character from one of those series (King K. Rool / Impa / Sylux?)
Third row: Kid Icarus / Fire Emblem / Punch Out / Not presented series = we get a character of this series (Viridi / Tiki / Glass Joe / Inkling?)
Fourth row: Kirby / Star Fox / Retro / F-Zero / Not presented series = we may get one of these characters (B. Waddle Dee / Wolf / Balloon Fighter / Black Shadow / Chorus Men.?)
Fifth row: Pokémon / Earthbound / Animal Crossing / Not-presented series = We get a character in this series (Pichu / Isabelle / Isaac?)
Fifth row: Pikmin / Wii X / Xenoblade / Third Party / Mii = cloud filled the free space, which means that no other character come out of this series.

This is my theory with regard to the DLC.
1st row- Waluigi
2nd row- King K Rool
3rd row- Sami
4th row- Wolf
5th row- Inklings

Okay, so with the European press release, I understand we may have the last wave of DLC on our hands here. So, it looks like we get Cloud and 2 more. I'm sure the the "extra character slot" added in patch 1.1.1 was the last-second decision to add Cloud, and the other two are the "ballot character" slots. So I think the most likely outcome is that we get King K. Rool and Wolf/Inkling. (Just to clarify I didn't vote for either, I voted for Isaac. I guess better luck on NX...)

Burruni

Smash Hero
Okay, so with the European press release, I understand we may have the last wave of DLC on our hands here. So, it looks like we get Cloud and 2 more. I'm sure the the "extra character slot" added in patch 1.1.1 was the last-second decision to add Cloud, and the other two are the "ballot character" slots. So I think the most likely outcome is that we get King K. Rool and Wolf/Inkling. (Just to clarify I didn't vote for either, I voted for Isaac. I guess better luck on NX...)
>Last-second decision to add Cloud
He has M-O-N-T-H-S of work of the Smash team to make him, Midgar, and the contracting to get the rights TO make him.

Burruni

Smash Hero
The 3rd slot was still probably the slot reserved for Cloud, and was added at the point the deal had been approved.
No.
Because that slot was made in the gap of mid September to early October.
Cloud has far more than a Month to a month and a half's worth of time put into him and the stage.
They couldn't START work until that deal got approved.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Actually another thing about Push, it seems as though he's believed every rumor that's appeared as long as a source was appearent, which is not a good idea. Push is a great guy, don't get me wrong, but I don't think any of these rumors he's believing are true nor do I think we should believe them, unless it's datamining, it's most likely fake. Anyways moving along.

Burruni Burruni , I thought you had a whole rant about third-parties that you were writing, what happened? :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom