• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf Matchup Help

Sarcastic Horse

Smash Rookie
Hi everybody. Over the past weekend I played in a local tournament and in GF this guy counterpicked my peach with a ganondorf and I got absolutely smashed. Contsant fairs and dairs. Can anyone give me some tips on how to work this matchup a little better?

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Keep applying pressure. Ganon has really ****ty escape options, so if you stay on him you're pretty good.

AozoraX

Smash Apprentice
I team with a Ganon player and sometimes vs him in Singles, so I have a fair amount of knowledge but

Turnips. Pull them. Find a safe spot and pull and toss. If you're being hit by Fairs and Dairs, give yourself more space. Spacing is everything in this matchup.

Also, don't even try to challenge a Bair. Don't.

Silvachocobo

Smash Rookie
Keep up the pressure with the turnips and spacing! And from personal experience, try not to trade, like at all.

kalamazhu

Smash Journeyman
I actually think ganon is one of peaches easiest matchups.

Just remember that it is very hard to approach him because of his insane range on that fair.
so what you should do is use turnips to approach him. what I do is do a SH turnip throw in. Then he tries to dodge it with jumps and stuff. But by that time you are already inside his circle and you get a free nair. from there combo him to death.

Renth

Smash Hero
Hi everybody. Over the past weekend I played in a local tournament and in GF this guy counterpicked my peach with a ganondorf and I got absolutely smashed. Contsant fairs and dairs. Can anyone give me some tips on how to work this matchup a little better?

Be as close to ganon as possible at all times, if he's in his shield STAY ON IT.

Ganondorfs options out of shield include: A very slow shield grab, up air which usually isn't fast enough, the fastest thing he can do is up out of shield but if you are throwing out hitboxes that won't do anything either, if a ganondorf is pressured he can do nothing and he will be forced to roll. He has a very good roll but it becomes predictable. (This is why the falco match up is so challenging for Ganon, once you're shielding you are done.)

Keep applying pressure. Ganon has really ****ty escape options, so if you stay on him you're pretty good.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

What he said

I team with a Ganon player and sometimes vs him in Singles, so I have a fair amount of knowledge but

Turnips. Pull them. Find a safe spot and pull and toss. If you're being hit by Fairs and Dairs, give yourself more space. Spacing is everything in this matchup.

Also, don't even try to challenge a Bair. Don't.

Turnips have to be used carefully in this match up, I'm very confident in my ability to catch them and use them. If a ganondorf is doing empty short hops after you've pulled a turnip he wants you to throw it at him. If you pull a turnip close to Ganondorf you're asking to be smacked (I guess that's true about every match up)

Spacing really is everything, I recently lost to Ambix in one of the hypest sets I've played in a long time (game 3) It's recorded but not uploaded yet. I won on battlefield game 1 ? He won on FD then I took him to dreamland. Let me begin by explaining taking peach to dreamland was a big mistake, I generally play that match up to be outside of peaches hitboxes as... a character peach really is just a box of pain. I needed to be able to box him in, I made the mistake of giving him too much room. I don't know if Ambix posts on the forums but he can tell you how he felt out our set from his point of view.

Keep up the pressure with the turnips and spacing! And from personal experience, try not to trade, like at all.

Ganondorf wants trades period with every match up, Ganon players aim for trades.

I actually think ganon is one of peaches easiest matchups.

Just remember that it is very hard to approach him because of his insane range on that fair.
so what you should do is use turnips to approach him. what I do is do a SH turnip throw in. Then he tries to dodge it with jumps and stuff. But by that time you are already inside his circle and you get a free nair. from there combo him to death.

Basically, what you said. Put ganondorf in a situation where he has to react to it then punish accordingly.

Here is a match of mine vs. Shroudedone last weekend, the same event I lost to Ambix. When the set with Ambix eventually finds it's way online it was a hell of a game no johns.

Renth

Smash Hero
(sorry XD)

I didn't realize the last post in this thread was in July, I just saw Peach vs. Ganondorf and wanted to talk from Ganondorfs point of view.

Vestboy_Myst

NJ TO & Peach knitwit
(sorry XD)

I didn't realize the last post in this thread was in July, I just saw Peach vs. Ganondorf and wanted to talk from Ganondorfs point of view.
age doesn't matter in a thread. unless it was closed, a thread should be an ongoing and changing conversation through time

Every bit of knowledge this board gets is a blessing
's got the right idea

Sycorax

Smash Ace
What are some good stages to counter pick against Ganon?
Any of them. Ganon loses hard any way. You can choose bigger ones if you want to turnip camp. You can choose smaller ones if you want to play aggressively. They're CP of choice would probably be Yoshi's. I got top platform camped by a Ganon on BF somewhat effectively once, but I don't think it's a winning strategy.

Vestboy_Myst

NJ TO & Peach knitwit
Any of them. Ganon loses hard any way. You can choose bigger ones if you want to turnip camp. You can choose smaller ones if you want to play aggressively. They're CP of choice would probably be Yoshi's. I got top platform camped by a Ganon on BF somewhat effectively once, but I don't think it's a winning strategy.
ganons will try to camp top plat on DL and less frequently on BF, but you can counter by keeping below the side plats and uthrowing turnips to harass them. ganon has a hard time catching items (he has to let them bounce off his sheild to recatch in some cases) and his throw speed/damage is slightly worse than the rest of the cast. be careful when you pull, he can reach you faster than you think with wavelands

imo treat it like the marth matchup and be sure you can move around freely to pull turnips without being stuck on a platform and attacked from below. PS is an ok choice, FD should also be a good stage. just don't let them take you to YS

Last edited:

dg-pilz-e

Smash Cadet
I'm finding when I get near Ganon to try and keep on him I get wrecked..
When were going in to attack how should we approach? I feel like F-air beats me out, So I try to be patient then just get hit by something else.

gregWHO

Smash Cadet

I know this a PM stagelist, but it's still really useful. For this MU, I believe most of Peach's kills come from edge-guarding therefore stages with farther horizontal blastzones work to that end as well as help you live longer from his aerials.

When were going in to attack how should we approach? I feel like F-air beats me out, So I try to be patient then just get hit by something else.
Ganon is a difficult matchup for me as well because it tends towards a certain playstyle I don't like. I have to camp more (and constantly remind myself Ganon has no projectile lol). I have to stay away from almost all trades. I have to have self-control and know when extending a combo further is too risky so I can GTFO before I get faired. Whenever I play Ganon now, I'm very aware of stage position. I know most of my kills come off edge-guarding, so while I try to go ham when he's in shield, I also apply pressure via stage position and turnips in a way that leads to edge guarding. And I believe Ganon is definitely one of the easiest characters to edge-guard.

Last edited:

pizzapie7

Smash Ace
He's sneaky quick with his waveland shenanigans. With turnips he should have to be the one to approach you, it's similar to a lot of other matchups but this is the one matchup where trading is probably really bad, so you have to pick your spots better. If he comes at you directly with a falling aerial don't be afraid to dash dance away and get some space. Similar to Marth dash attack can clip is feet while in the air, which should lead to a really good punish. Like DoH said at the beginning of the thread, once you get in keep applying pressure until you can push him offstage. Make sure your float cancels are on point because for the most part it's a really quick option against a really slow and committal character.

Top Bottom