• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamestop not selling Gamecube adapter and controllers separately

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
So let me get this straight. I went to go put my money down for smash brothers wii u today just for them to tell me that they won't be selling the gamecube adapter separately? What kind of **** is that? Then they tried to offer me generic ass gamecube controllers cause they don't have any smash controllers in stock either. WTF! The bundle was sold out before I could reserve it, and the guy at GameStop tells me that they aren't sure when Nintendo is going to sell the adapter separately. I hope this guy doesn't know what the hell he is talking about like most Gamestop associates or this is some bull crap.

Newt Floss

Smash Journeyman
I was considering going to GameStop to buy a GameCube adapter. Don't think I will now.

KoM

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ReiTsubomi
3DS FC
2638-0679-1408
I preordered an adapter for day one months ago. They're definitely sold separate.

I was considering going to GameStop to buy a GameCube adapter. Don't think I will now.
You should call and see if they have one. They'll hold onto it for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
They tried to tell me they had the *generic brand name I can't think of that starts with an N* controllers in stock, and those will be the same ones in the bundle package. I laughed at the misinformation and looked elsewhere.

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
You should call and see if they have one. They'll hold onto it for you.
I was at the Gamestop when I reserved the game. I called and they told me that they wont be selling it separately and then I went there physically and told me the same story.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
My receipt has all three items separate. So I don't know what's going on for you. Try a different store?

KoM

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ReiTsubomi
3DS FC
2638-0679-1408
I was at the Gamestop when I reserved the game. I called and they told me that they wont be selling it separately and then I went there physically and told me the same story.
Hm. I still think its worth a shot to call in tomorrow (assuming you're picking the game somewhere else) and just ask anyway. They may not know they're gonna carry them and their employees can be very incompetent from store to store.

Or my case could just be a special thing since I specifically preordered the adaptor and not a controller so they had to order one.

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
Hm. I still think its worth a shot to call in tomorrow (assuming you're picking the game somewhere else) and just ask anyway. They may not know they're gonna carry them and their employees can be very incompetent from store to store.

Or my case could just be a special thing since I specifically preordered the adaptor and not a controller so they had to order one.

Im just hoping the store associate has no idea what he is talking about and they probably can't sale them till midnight.

sandslash

Smash Apprentice
Ya i already pre ordered mine a month or two back. There probably sold out or just dont know what there talking about. Do you have another gamestop near by try them if you do.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Guys if you failed to get the adaptor i will let you in on a secret

Sometimes there might be 1 to 5 left despite being none available my dad and i called a gamestop to find out about it

So there is still a chance you may get one if you did not pre-order on time

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
Ya i already pre ordered mine a month or two back. There probably sold out or just dont know what there talking about. Do you have another gamestop near by try them if you do.
There is 2 across from each other and they both told me the same thing. I called the other one that is 6 blocks from the plaza where the first 2 are stationed, and they are telling me the same run around. I will be going to the midnight release so hopefully they will have them available. I have 12 friends waiting to play this game with me at midnight and they all own gamecube controllers including me and it would suck to be assed out on this.

Guys if you failed to get the adaptor i will let you in on a secret

Sometimes there might be 1 to 5 left despite being none available my dad and i called a gamestop to find out about it

So there is still a chance you may get one if you did not pre-order on time
I know the secret, that's how my father was able to buy 3 Wii's during the Wii drought and only one per house hold were allowed to purchase one through one gamestop at a time.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I pre-ordered my GC adapter separately, due to how the GC bundle was sold out. And pre-ordering the day before release? Not realy smart, no offense. At this rate, your only option is to pray they have extras available. Hell, I was told that my GS might not have the adapters on release date, which is disappointing, but at this rate, I am just hoping for the best.

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
I pre-ordered my GC adapter separately, due to how the GC bundle was sold out. And pre-ordering the day before release? Not realy smart, no offense. At this rate, your only option is to pray they have extras available. Hell, I was told that my GS might not have the adapters on release date, which is disappointing, but at this rate, I am just hoping for the best.
Its called life and other obligations must come before reserving anything, when I had the money to do what I needed to do other obligations had to be handled, being a single father, paying school loans after just recently graduating from college, the last thing on my mind is trying to lock down a Nintendo game. I wasn't worried much about the bundle because I assumed that at least the adapter separately wouldn't be sold out. In this day in age as far as games I never once had to deal with not being able to find a game or an accessory. Most cases I never reserve even the most hyped games because I end up getting the game day one anywhere because some place will likely have it, and 9/10 its gamestop for me. Its handled because Best Buy said they have a bunch of bundles and they are selling the adapter separately. They said that they don't understand why Gamestop is not selling the adapter separately.

SO I am going to best buy to get what I need tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I was able to pre-order Smash Wii U without the inclusion of the GCN adapter. It's not like you have to get the additional accessories if you just want the game.

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
My receipt has all three items separate. So I don't know what's going on for you. Try a different store?
Did this and they don't have any shipped, extremely annoyed.
Annoyed that I already paid for this damn adapter and they don't have any.
The release date is the same why didn't they get any?

What is this controller for? Project M? Why did they ship extra controllers but ZERO adapters that people preordered.

Last edited:

DBones

Smash Rookie
I'm confused. I preordered it at the beginning of November and already paid it off. Will I be able to get it tomorrow??

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
I'm confused. I preordered it at the beginning of November and already paid it off. Will I be able to get it tomorrow??
Depends if they got them, my gamestop apparently got 0 even though I paid it off before as well.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
The problem is shopping at Gamestop.

servbot 42

Smash Cadet
NNID
Servbot42
Whatever issue you're having, it's with you're gamestop location and it sucks. In my location they sell them separately. I was too late with the preorder bundle thing as well, and I didn't have enough money for it anyways so I got the game, adaptor and an amino. The most you can do is fill out a survey and let them know that it is upsetting that they don't do this at your location. Thing is, what if you want another adaptor or controller besides the bundle? You gotta buy 2 bundles?!? Screw that. Raise hell.

DBones

Smash Rookie
Depends if they got them, my gamestop apparently got 0 even though I paid it off before as well.
How do you find out if they don't have any left. I was just there last weekend and they didn't mention anything to me.

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
Im just hoping the store associate has no idea what he is talking about and they probably can't sale them till midnight.
Gamestop associates tend to not actually know much about games and just say what corporate tells them, or generally not understand questions and answer as best they can (which isnt well)
Not saying that goes for everyone, obviously some people who do actually like games and understand simple concepts such as "the adapter being sold separately everywhere else and on Gamestop.com." I've met some pretty cool gamestop employees, but my general experience has been that they never know anything about anything. I laugh at them in my head because I'm not rude, but they normally have no idea what is happening.
If you've pre-ordered it that way, then tell them that you KNOW for a FACT they are wrong because you put money down on it. If you didnt, check wal-mart and other stores.

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
I was thinking of buying the GameCube adapter later + a GameCube controller at a later date. Is this a GameStop exclusive? Because if it is and I can't find it then I'll probably be very pissed.

Edit: NVM bought mine at Best Buy and its freaking awesome!

Last edited:

aquatictaco

Smash Cadet
first off your info is wrong. apparently ninty decided not to ship adapters today. but my gamestop said they would be in tomorrow

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Lol people so hot over adaptors

GS will be selling the adapter and controller seperately, but I doubt they'll be easy to find. The adapters are probably short in supply.

Also those GS employees must be idiots lol. I used to work back at a GS in my hometown before I moved to college and all three were available for preorder separately in the system pretty much the day after they had been announced.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
My GameStop said their adapters were on back order so they wouldn't be in until the morning likely. I have to go back up to get it in the morning before I start my party.

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
I was thinking of buying the GameCube adapter later + a GameCube controller at a later date. Is this a GameStop exclusive? Because if it is and I can't find it then I'll probably be very pissed.
They are not GS exclusive. No. You can go anywhere and buy them. Except they havent been shipped yet, apparently, and wont be here until tommorow.

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
first off your info is wrong. apparently ninty decided not to ship adapters today. but my gamestop said they would be in tomorrow
I talked with Best Buy and they are holding an adapter for me when I get there in the morning. I went to the midnight release at gamestop and they told me they wont be getting Adapters Separately and its only exclusive to those who reserved it for the time being. They said that they dont know when there will be shipment of adapters. So right now I am using pro controller and 3DS as a controller till the morning.

Gamestop associates tend to not actually know much about games and just say what corporate tells them, or generally not understand questions and answer as best they can (which isnt well)
Not saying that goes for everyone, obviously some people who do actually like games and understand simple concepts such as "the adapter being sold separately everywhere else and on Gamestop.com." I've met some pretty cool gamestop employees, but my general experience has been that they never know anything about anything. I laugh at them in my head because I'm not rude, but they normally have no idea what is happening.
If you've pre-ordered it that way, then tell them that you KNOW for a FACT they are wrong because you put money down on it. If you didnt, check wal-mart and other stores.
Yea I went to the midnight release and guess what, the dumb ****s put pokemon Alpha Sapphire in my bag instead of smash brothers wii u and I am glad that I always check my bag before I leave the store. When I was looking for a job at gamestop a long while ago I never get called for an interview but yet these dumb ass get the job and don't know anything. How does the hiring process work there?

Last edited:

TiersAreReal

Smash Apprentice
Story time. When I preordered Brawl at Gamestop, I went up to the midnight launch. Get up there and find out they had canceled the midnight launch due to "inclement weather." Which was because it had snowed two days prior. And there wasn't any more snow since the day before. Whatever. Walmart's parking lot didn't have inclement weather at midnight so I bought from there and canceled my Gamestop preorder after the fact.

So for Smash U I hit up Gamestop again because I had credit there to use. I call at 7pm to 1) make sure they didn't cancel the midnight launch and 2) make sure everything for their orders came in. They told me the launch was good and everything came in. I get up there for the midnight launch and finalize my order. The cashier doesn't elect to volunteer any information to me, but I noticed on the receipt the Gamecube adapter wasn't listed. So I had to ask. And she tells me that they didn't come in. She also tried to sell me an Amiibo after not telling me that part of my order was not available.

That's the kind of thing that irritates me. I don't live in the same town as Gamestop. I called in advance. They didn't volunteer the information at the counter. Had I known they wouldn't have it, I'd have just stayed in bed. So now I have to make two out of town trips instead of just one. I try not to stop at Gamestop, but I had credit there I wanted to unload from one of their trade-in promotions. Meh.

Last edited:

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
Story time. When I preordered Brawl at Gamestop, I went up to the midnight launch. Get up there and find out they had canceled the midnight launch due to "inclement weather." Which was because it had snowed two days prior. And there wasn't any more snow since the day before. Whatever. Walmart's parking lot didn't have inclement weather at midnight so I bought from there and canceled my Gamestop preorder after the fact.

So for Smash U I hit up Gamestop again because I had credit there to use. I call at 7pm to 1) make sure they didn't cancel the midnight launch and 2) make sure everything for their orders came in. They told me the launch was good and everything came in. I get up there for the midnight launch and finalize my order. The cashier doesn't elect to volunteer any information to me, but I noticed on the receipt the Gamecube adapter wasn't listed. So I had to ask. And she tells me that they didn't come in. She also tried to sell me an Amiibo after not telling me that part of my order was not available.

That's the kind of thing that irritates me. I don't live in the same town as Gamestop. I called in advance. They didn't volunteer the information at the counter. Had I known they wouldn't have it, I'd have just stayed in bed. So now I have to make two out of town trips instead of just one. I try not to stop at Gamestop, but I had credit there I wanted to unload from one of their trade-in promotions. Meh.

That's the kind of crap I am talking about, the incompetence of associates is out of this world. How in the world you mistaken pokemon alpha sapphire with smash brothers wii u? They seriously put Pokemon in my bag instead of Smash Brothers Wii U, glad I looked in my bag before I left, I was talking with my friends while they were bagging my game and wasn't paying attention.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Question. Can I buy the adapter separately right now?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
This. It happened to Wal-Mart, Toys R Us, Target, and Best Buy per what I know.

From my casual as heck friend who knows nothing of competitive play, low level competitive newcomers, a mid-level rising star in the Smash 4 scene, a well known TO, a former top 10 NorCal ranked player, to a guy who helps run a huge community hub, to the ManGOAT, all I hear is the same news: We can't get the game and the GCN adapter.

It's so bad I got a call about it from a guy I knew from tournaments about 6-8 years ago who moved away who about 4 years ago I didn't know moved back into the area asking about it. It's that scarce here in NorCal. The struggle is real, lol.

It is either take the game without the adapter, or wait. Most dedicated smashers I know are doing the latter, me included.
The problem is shopping at Gamestop.
The actual problem is Nintendo didn't ship many of them out at midnight because they didn't think it'd be a big deal.

Last edited:

thunderboyac

Smash Rookie
NNID
thunderboyac
3DS FC
4141-3324-6225
I had to preorder all 3 of them separately. I had to settle with the GameCube controller and the game because they apparently didn't have any adapters separate from the bundle. I'm actually liking the feeling of the WiiU gamepad.

Top Bottom