• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

G&W Up-Air into F-Air Chef hat

Shockbound

Smash Apprentice
By using Up-Air as Mr. Game & Watch and quickly following it up with F-Air before hitting the ground, the result is a second Up-Air puff appearing above Mr. Game & Watch's head as he carries out the animations for his F-Air. G&W can't act until 10 frames after the first puff, and has 7 frames to use a F-Air in order to put on his hat. The puff always lasts for 7 frames, regardless of what point F-Air was used during the window. If Mr. Game & Watch gets hit during those frames, the puff may disappear prematurely. It has no hitbox tied to it, so it has no impact on regular gameplay.

The picture below is only possible within the first 3 frames possible to act, and this state lasts for only 1 frame, which is the puff's final frame. The first 6 frames of the puff took place in the same animation as the picture above. The wind-up of F-Air's animation above lasts for 9 frames total (they all look the same because he's Mr. Game & Watch), and the puff comes out on frame 4 during this window, which is why this only lasts for 1 frame.

The picture below is of F-Air's landing animation. The puff may begin before, during, or after the first frame of landing, provided that the F-Air was pulled out when very close to the ground (up to 6 frames for before, exactly 3 frames for during, and up to 2 frames for after) and lasts the usual 7 frames. It can't be acted out of since landing lag, even when L-cancelled, ends up being longer than 9 frames (which is the latest the puff can possibly last, when F-Air is initiated at the frame before landing).

Unfortunately, this only works with F-Air in particular. Feel free to take a look at it yourselves, the 7 frame window isn't that hard to hit.

EDIT: This actually works with D-Air and N-Air too. It could technically work with Up-Taunt, Side-Taunt and ledge get-up attack but those aren't possible to do during the window available to do the glitch.

Last edited:

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
If not a new costume, he should have a chef hat when he uses his neutral b.
Would be the best buff in 3.5.

Shockbound

Smash Apprentice
Something else interesting to note about G&W's Up-Air is that it has a unique landing animation.

Note that Mr. Game & Watch has no hitbox on this second puff yet again, even though debug hitboxes are on. However, unlike its fashionable counterpart, this puff makes a sound identical to that of a regular Up-Air when it comes out. I suspect that the reason this second puff is there is because Brawl's G&W had an Up-Air that always released two puffs, and even his landing animation in both Brawl and PM reflects that. Brawl's Up-Air assumes that G&W can't willingly act out of it until the second puff comes out. PM's G&W only makes one puff per use of his Up-Air, but some part of the move thinks that it should be doing two.

G&W couldn't possibly be using a second puff if he's already in hitstun, so Brawl assumes that if G&W isn't in the animation of a move that lets him present special entities (more on this later) at the time when there would normally be a second puff, then there isn't going to be one. However, since PM G&W gets to use other entity producing moves at the time when the second puff entity is scripted to appear, using the 7 frames remaining of actable Up-Air he can transition into another entity producing move without going into any state that would otherwise cancel the second puff.

G&W's puff, brick, key, parachute and bell are semi-separate "entities" (they're really their own model) that are scripted to appear on or at specific locations of his body. These are easy to tell apart from normal entities, which are not actually loaded on the same 2-D layer and are very noticeable when looking at these objects from the front instead of from the intended sides.

Here are his normal entities from an angle that shows their true layer:

Jab

F-Smash

Side-B

Up-B (the distance between G&W and the entity is very, very small so I've taken two pictures to show that his hand is definitely on only one side. Snake is doing a specific action this time to show that the two pictures are from the same frame.)

B-Air (the turtle is not only on a different layer, but is also tilted slightly)

D-Tilt (yep it's a straight up 3-D model)

Notice how none of these normal entities produce a shadow on the ground. This is a property that is present across ALL of his literally disjointed entities, as it is a technical limitation of the entity property. The reason that most of these are entities at all is because of the way that Mr. Game & Watch's outline works:

Mr. Game & Watch is just a flattened 3-D model, flattened using the same process that can be used on any character model (you can see this phenomenon for yourself by going to the Flat Zone II or Hanenbow stages). There is an outer model that is identical to the inner one, but slightly larger. The inner model takes visual priority over the outer one however (to be more precise, the outer model is transparent from the outside only), and since the outer model is a different color, it ends up serving as a perfect outline for G&W, provided that you're only looking at him from his sides.

Because of this, if an object like the gas pump from his jab was included as a part of his model, it would be incredibly difficult to distinguish it from his actual body due to black always taking visual priority. It requires that lines be on top of other parts of filling, so it needs to be on its own layer, and in order to do that, it would have to be an entity.

I never mentioned his Up-Tilt, F-Tilt, D-Smash, Up-Smash, Down-B or Neutral-B because all of them have shadows of their own, don't stray from G&W's present layer, and just have a single outline (meaning a single, un-separated inner model along with it). For my own sanity I'm not going to go and take pictures of all of his shadows, so I'll just include the shadow of Neutral-B because I'm sure that's the one we're all disappointed about this glitch not working during.

I took this picture on Flat Zone II because it's the easiest place to see shadows from.

Seeing as his N-Air and D-Air both fell into the same layer and category as his F-Air, I did some more testing and can confirm that G&W can put his hat on during them too.

F-Air and D-Air both have shadows for their animations, but N-Air does not. I suspect this is because it is a move that is entirely new to Brawl as it had to be made by the PMDT. It probably shares most of the same features as F-Air and D-Air, but just lacks a shadow model because shadows are not a high priority in development.

Last edited:
Top Bottom