• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Frogger Leaps into Battle! Frogger for DLC! Thanks for support!

Do you want Frogger as DLC?

• yes

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • no

Votes: 11 44.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
No or else this would be much more commonplace amongst the industry. Konami seems to be falling on hard times, pachinko machines are probably their only profitable product right now. I still think it would behoove them to start making mobile/eshop games for their simpler franchises, as those games are cheap to make and highly profitable as proven by the recent boom in the mobile market (especially in Japan), but that's their decision to make, not mine. It seems as though with the survey they recently released, they're trying to get a gauge on what franchises they need to take seriously, and what franchises to move on from, so it doesn't seem like they're abandoning the industry 100% or anything.

If I had to guess, I'd say they're probably just playing everything extremely close to the vest right now, making safe choices until they can recover from their recent slump.
SNK is doing the same and now are Chinese owned it seems. Wish Nintendo or NTI had bought SNK.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
SNK is doing the same and now are Chinese owned it seems. Wish Nintendo or NTI had bought SNK.
Are they? I never heard anything about that. Personally, SNK doesn't interest me all that much, but I do wish Nintendo was more aggressive in their acquisitions. I think smaller companies like Wayforward, Choice Provisions, Yacht Club, and Shin'en Multimedia would be great acquistions, based on their track records, close ties to Nintendo, and relatively cheap price, but sadly I don't see Nintendo doing anything with that.

Glad I could give you guys more exposure of Frogger with my poll. ;)
You did start all this, didn't you? Well thanks for that. Hopefully this catches on a little more. Maybe that rate the chances guy does something with Frogger soon, too. It won't go well, but maybe it'll ignite a couple people's interest at least.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Are they? I never heard anything about that. Personally, SNK doesn't interest me all that much, but I do wish Nintendo was more aggressive in their acquisitions. I think smaller companies like Wayforward, Choice Provisions, Yacht Club, and Shin'en Multimedia would be great acquistions, based on their track records, close ties to Nintendo, and relatively cheap price, but sadly I don't see Nintendo doing anything with that.
I did heard it on 4chan, but yeah SNK was focusing now on pachinko.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
That quote quite literally applies to all characters including whichever characters you consider to be of a "viable" caliber.
Yes. Yes, you're exactly right. I did say I do not like characters of that caliber. Just stated why I don't care for the idea, that's all. As much as a thread can have support I'm sure its okay to voice against it.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I'd support a Frogger stage if it came with these two pieces of music for a hypothetical Frogger stage:

Morbi

Scavenger
Yes. Yes, you're exactly right. I did say I do not like characters of that caliber. Just stated why I don't care for the idea, that's all. As much as a thread can have support I'm sure its okay to voice against it.
Yes, I did not mean to offend you if that is what I did. I was just sort of making it a point to mention that the notion is subjective. You interpret Frogger to be meh, whereas someone might interpret your most wanted character to be meh. In my not-so-humble opinon, most characters that people commonly want are not characters that I would like to see, for instance. Frogger is just a personal favorite of mine. It is most certainly okay to voice against a character.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Gameplay idea!

Frogger's walk and run animations are hops!

The walk gives him a steady pace of hops the height of Fireballs bouncing.
The height builds up the faster he goes, with his dash gives him higher, faster, but more vertical hops, able to jump over Mario while running.

This means he can jump over projectile streaks like Mario's Fireball, but he'll need to nail the rhythm.
Just like in the Frogger games, you need to decide whether you want the slow but steady walk, or need the high risk, high reward dash to get into the enemy territory exactly when you land behind them.

I might tweak this mechanic a bit, but I feel this could be Frogger's schtick.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

Here's v.2.0
You still need Purple, Pink, and Orange though :p. Rayman, Bomberman, and Idk who for orange.

Edit: Maybe Shantae for purple instead of Rayman, and Rayman can be orange?

Gameplay idea!

Frogger's walk and run animations are hops!

The walk gives him a steady pace of hops the height of Fireballs bouncing.
The height builds up the faster he goes, with his dash gives him higher, faster, but more vertical hops, able to jump over Mario while running.

This means he can jump over projectile streaks like Mario's Fireball, but he'll need to nail the rhythm.
Just like in the Frogger games, you need to decide whether you want the slow but steady walk, or need the high risk, high reward dash to get into the enemy territory exactly when you land behind them.

I might tweak this mechanic a bit, but I feel this could be Frogger's schtick.
I feel like this has potential, but needs some serious work. I know I couldn't play with a character that forces me airborne, unless there was some kind of mechanic that balances it out.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Smash 4 should have included not only Sega, Capcom, and Namco, but Konami as well.

Sorry I have to share what I imagined for a moment.

What If:
Smash 4 released with...

Sonic - Sega
Mega Man - Capcom
Pacman - Namco
Frogger - Konami

(That would have been amazing...)

And if each company got a second character as DLC..

Konami:
...Bomberman? ...Snake? ...Belmont?

Sega:
...Tails? ...NiGHTS? ...Alex Kidd?

Namco:
...Klonoa? ...Agumon? ...Lloyd?

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Smash 4 should have included not only Sega, Capcom, and Namco, but Konami as well.

Sorry I have to share what I imagined for a moment.

What If:
Smash 4 released with...

Sonic - Sega
Mega Man - Capcom
Pacman - Namco
Frogger - Konami

(That would have been amazing...)

And if each company got a second character as DLC..

Konami:
...Bomberman? ...Snake? ...Belmont?

Sega:
...Tails? ...NiGHTS? ...Alex Kidd?

Namco:
...Klonoa? ...Agumon? ...Lloyd?
Sonic and NiGHTS
Pac-Man and Klonoa
Bomberman and Frogger
MegaMan and Viewtiful Joe (Ryu who?:smirk:)
That's be amazing

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
We should get some more exposure for these photos definitely, but I don't know anyone who could share them, Twitter might be a good place to start.
Yeah I don't do Twitter personally, hopefully someone steps up though. May not do much for him now, but could exponentially increase his chances for Sma5h.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I created two more:

I'm getting good. :cool:
Not bad Blue, one small complaint; Frogger seems a little too big in the line up one. Whilst everyone else is sized (fairly) accurately, Frogger feels like a giant as he's got his knees bent and still towers over Pac, Sonic and Megaman. Should he stand directly up, he'd currently tower over even Ryu.

That's a BIG frog.

Mario may be a little too large too. I'd scale Frogger down to 80%-85% size and Mario down to 90-95%. Otherwise perfect.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Not bad Blue, one small complaint; Frogger seems a little too big in the line up one. Whilst everyone else is sized (fairly) accurately, Frogger feels like a giant as he's got his knees bent and still towers over Pac, Sonic and Megaman. Should he stand directly up, he'd currently tower over even Ryu.

That's a BIG frog.

Mario may be a little too large too. I'd scale Frogger down to 80%-85% size and Mario down to 90-95%. Otherwise perfect.
I just straight out copied and pasted the Mario from smash website. :9 You're right about the size though.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
No joke, Frogger's basically my favorite arcade game. I've always actually been a closet supporter of Frogger for Smash.

I do wonder about the design though, mainly because Frogger REALLY doesn't stay consistent between games and other media. Original Frogger looked like a normal frog, the late-nineties early-2000s Frogger had a shirt and vest, and more recent Frogger appearances, like Frogger 3D and his appearance in Wreck-It Ralph, brought him back to his normal frog design, but made him a tree frog instead.

I'd be game for any of the designs, but it is something to think about. The easy shirt-and-vest design isn't exactly the iconic one, after all.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
No joke, Frogger's basically my favorite arcade game. I've always actually been a closet supporter of Frogger for Smash.

I do wonder about the design though, mainly because Frogger REALLY doesn't stay consistent between games and other media. Original Frogger looked like a normal frog, the late-nineties early-2000s Frogger had a shirt and vest, and more recent Frogger appearances, like Frogger 3D and his appearance in Wreck-It Ralph, brought him back to his normal frog design, but made him a tree frog instead.

I'd be game for any of the designs, but it is something to think about. The easy shirt-and-vest design isn't exactly the iconic one, after all.
Somewhere on the first page, I posted a quick sketch I made of what I think his redesign should look like. You should take a look.

Doctor3AM

Smash Apprentice
Is
<---
Iconic? I'd say this should be the design for him, although maybe giving him the yellow tones of his arcade sprite.

EDIT:

This one would be solid as well.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'd much prefer a smaller or less anthropomorphic Frogger. Basically, more like Michigan J Frog, if anthro, and less like, say, Rash from Battletoads.

Is
<---
Iconic? I'd say this should be the design for him, although maybe giving him the yellow tones of his arcade sprite.

EDIT:

This one would be solid as well.
Either of these would work pretty well IMO as well. I'll admit I'm partial to a quadrupedal Frogger, more so, but this one would be good as well. Like, I could see him being one of the smaller characters in the game, but the one with the greatest jump height, or at least greatest jump-height-to-body-size ratio.

Doctor3AM

Smash Apprentice
Now that I think about it, why not make him like Pikachu? Starts out standing. But when running, he hops on all fours.

EDIT: Special Moveset!

Neutral Special: Car Crash
Frogger creates a car out of thin air, which speeds forward, this is one of Frogger's zoning options. In the air, it goes diagonally down. It moves about as fast as Luigi's Fire Ball, but has more cooldown. It does moderate damage.

Side Special: Alligator Ambush
Frogger creates an alligator, it moves back and forth in an area while chomping at the air. If it catches someone, they are held in place while taking minor damage. Allowing for a follow-up.

Up Special: Log...something. (Someone give me a better name please)
A water push lifts a log up, which int turn lifts Frogger up. The water has a pushbox.

Down Special: Firefly
Frogger places a Firefly onto an opponent. Or anywhere on the playing field. Frogger will then eat the firefly from any point in the stage. If an opponent is there, he will command grab that opponent (or if the Firefly is on the opponent obviously) If an opponent is not caught, Frogger will heal 2%

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I only really want an anthropomorphic Frogger with the vest, I'd be cool with the Pikachu idea though.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
As far as I can remember, the only games where Frogger actually stood on two feet (ignoring several artworks and cutscenes with his anthro makeover) is Frogger: The Great Quest. Every other games like Temple of the Frog, Frogger Beyond, Frogger Helmet Chase, Frogger Ancient Shadow, Frogger Adventures, the PS Frogger games, and the original arcade has him on all fours for jumping and hopping.

Having him stand for his idle would be a great nod to this redesign, while every other motion would involve him being on all fours (even the crawling). I'd imagine him sticking to the character's roots while having a good mixture between both designs.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
As far as I can remember, the only games where Frogger actually stood on two feet (ignoring several artworks and cutscenes with his anthro makeover) is Frogger: The Great Quest. Every other games like Temple of the Frog, Frogger Beyond, Frogger Helmet Chase, Frogger Ancient Shadow, Frogger Adventures, the PS Frogger games, and the original arcade has him on all fours for jumping and hopping.

Having him stand for his idle would be a great nod to this redesign, while every other motion would involve him being on all fours (even the crawling). I'd imagine him sticking to the character's roots while having a good mixture between both designs.
As long as the idle animation isn't on all fours, then I'm fine. I don't know why, but I can't stand characters like that in Smash. Ivysaur and DHD's current design drove/drive me nuts. Only character I'd make an exception for is Amaterasu.

Doctor3AM

Smash Apprentice
Frogger h8rs getting on my nerves. "Frogger is the definition of unnecessary"

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I remember seeing similar things for Pac-Man pre-reveal. Some people just have no imagination, nor any idea on how important Frogger was to video game history. If Frogger support ever picks up, they'll all probably end up changing their tune pretty quick.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Smash fan logic: Snake > Bomberman > Simon Belmont >>>>>>>> Goemon >>>>>>>>>>> Frogger
Rather obvious that most are going with that argument regarding his irrelevancy. It's probably because nobody even thought of the idea of a playable Frogger until now while these four characters had requests since Brawl. :4duckhunt:

Last edited:
Top Bottom