• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Friends being fought for!" Ike General Discussion

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Yoo, first post here. Longtime lurker of these boards but decided to register with the upcoming release so near.

Ready to fight for my friends once again, looking forward to what we can come up with.
Welcome to the fray, sir. I hope you find your stay to be amicable.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
http://smashbros.nintendo.com/rules/

Nintendo is hosting a national, will use various local GameStops in the US as a qualifier for the final 16-man tournament which just so happens to be in NY. I'll most likely check this out. I suspect characters like Ike and Bowser will do well in FFA+items format during the early stages of the tournament. Heh.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
It's not like you need to practice much to stay good at Brawl. Just need a few matches to get some reading skill back.

Still learning new things from Brawl all the time. Learned just the other day how much safer fresh aerials are against shield vs when they staled a bit. Can't believe I never took that into consideration that much (cognitively). The same applies in this game, so even powerful characters need to be wary of staling attacks.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I think I mastered Link enough in this game, just want to get the full release now, haha.

NT 3000

Style>Winning
NNID
NoiseTank3000
3DS FC
2578-3240-5015
I think I mastered Link enough in this game, just want to get the full release now, haha.
I honestly haven't been touching the demo that much because controls I use L for shield and R for grab didn't want to screw myself up for the release. I'm excited though hosting a melee tourney at my store for the midnight release!

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I honestly have no clue how to play Ike without attack stick. Have to see how I can do without that crutch =)

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Especially with that shiny new Dtilt, it'll be awkward buffering it out of shield without an Attack stick.

NT 3000

Style>Winning
NNID
NoiseTank3000
3DS FC
2578-3240-5015
Yeah dude c stick is a god send...it's going to be tough for awhile lol.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
It seems Eruption edgeguard is a real thing.. I'm still trying it out on some characters. maybe my opponents were messing their sweetspots on their recovery.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
Man, only 11 hours and 18 minutes until Smash 4 is out for me. This is suffering.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
This is also the last day of this thread, when we will get new social threads for characters
Should get those other needed threads started first before a new social thread is created. :088:

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
Who all taking part in the Nintendo's tournament? I tried to get in one here in San Diego but all 64 slots were full and so I got in the backup players list but highly doubt I'll be able to get in.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Should get those other needed threads started first before a new social thread is created. :088:
Oh, ok, for anyone interested in making any of these, the threads needed were:
Match Up thread
Stage Discussion
Q&A/FAQ thread
Was there anything else I forgot? As I know the video thread was made.

I would make some, but I'm not confident that I'll be updating often or finding the info, mostly because I'm not sure I would be any good at it. I might do the Q&A, though, if it would help.
Who all taking part in the Nintendo's tournament? I tried to get in one here in San Diego but all 64 slots were full and so I got in the backup players list but highly doubt I'll be able to get in.
Sadly, I won't since none of the Gamestops' are in a reasonable enough distance for me to even consider going to it.

Senliten

Smash Lord
In the back room, sleeping with the waifu
NNID
Senliten
Nope, day one when Atlanta was said to be a place, called up the next morning and most spots were filled. That, plus an hours drive into the city only to prolly hit rush hour getting out, didn't feel worthy of my time, money, or even gas. Grats to the casual that ends up winning tho XD cause we all know it will be someone that is totally new to the game.

Q&A/FAQ thread
For Ike's, this may or may not be needed. For the most part we ended up having our social turned into a faq/qa area. Simply because the faq/qa dwindled shortly into a second general discussion. Also it feels too stiff and most of us ike and those to come, i am sure will be just laid back, easy going, and not afraid to post a question in general once more comfortable with the atmosphere.

But if it is required (i.e: make one or be gassed be wario farts) then i suppose I can make one a bit before launch.

Last edited:

-RedX-

Smash Lord
I thought the tournament was first come, first served? Didn't think some places let you reserve a slot. I hope NY wasn't like that.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I'm just too lazy to drive 5 minutes to the nearest Gamestop. Don't like Gamestop anyways, so going to download.

Senliten

Smash Lord
NNID
Senliten
I thought the tournament was first come, first served? Didn't think some places let you reserve a slot. I hope NY wasn't like that.
they practically let ya reserve, just gotta go in person and sign a sheet and boom. same like the brawl midnight release. Just Nintendo is trying to say it's official, but it aint, cause lack of stores for such a highly hyped product.

Last edited:

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Found an actual reason to use Uthrow over Dthrow. There are certain percents where Dthrow launches too high for combos but Uthrow now has reduced cooldown and less knockback which allows combos at around 60% to 70% on Shulk.

And there you have it. I found a legitimate use for Uthrow. TAKE THAT SAN. :troll:

NT 3000

Style>Winning
NNID
NoiseTank3000
3DS FC
2578-3240-5015
Found an actual reason to use Uthrow over Dthrow. There are certain percents where Dthrow launches too high for combos but Uthrow now has reduced cooldown and less knockback which allows combos at around 60% to 70% on Shulk.

And there you have it. I found a legitimate use for Uthrow. TAKE THAT SAN. :troll:
Post this in the info thread I'm compiling a big list of stuff too but good find!!! Lol

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
>9108 blocks
Guess I'm getting physical... whenever I can. GG Sakurai. 100:0 MU, his favor. I was never one to get bigger SD cards for my 3DS. If anything, I want bigger SD cards for my phone to store all my music. Being a fan of idols is suffering.

Last edited:

Senliten

Smash Lord
NNID
Senliten
>9108 blocks
Guess I'm getting physical... whenever I can. GG Sakurai. 100:0 MU, his favor. I was never one to get bigger SD cards for my 3DS. If anything, I want bigger SD cards for my phone to store all my music. Being a fan of idols is suffering.
lol, end result is yer getting something to help store your enjoyment. So just get a bigger sd card for them games XD. Plan to go out today and look for a sdxc card, just cause I have one to many games via digital and im going to be abusing the wiiu deluxe promo before it ends this December, along with a hand grip as well cause ffs smash on 3ds for 2 straight hours = not a good idea.

Bet ya this time platinum NClub users will get amiibo's as rewards, just cause lol smash. or something that will relate to smash for both consoles.

Last edited:

ZiggaWaTT

Smash Journeyman
awww yeahhhh went on a rampage with ike in ranked tonight!...well after getting wreaked for a bit getting used to the game and trying different characters. But then i started playing ike and i was pleasantly surprised. From what i heard and seen from videos it looked like ike wasn't going to be very good, but once i realized that aerials were a lot worse here than in PM I started going a more ground based style and it worked wonders for my ike. Won like 90% of my games after that :D.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
From what i heard and seen from videos it looked like ike wasn't going to be very good,
If there's one thing I learned about Ike from the moment I started using him in Brawl, it's generally to never trust what non-Ike mains say about him.

murdokdracul

"What do you mean you support Yoshimitsu?!"
NNID
murdokdracul
3DS FC
2836-0188-2561
Switch FC
SW-5151-9208-7814
I'm just popping in to say OH MY GOD he has a Black Knight outfit!?! I've always liked Ike, but this might just force me to promote him to 'main' status.

D

Deleted member 269706

I'm just popping in to say OH MY GOD he has a Black Knight outfit!?! I've always liked Ike, but this might just force me to promote him to 'main' status.
No kidding, I'm really loving the way it looks! I can't decide if I like it or the Chrom colors more...both look sooo nice...

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
Just played San, and the connexion was alright, so if some of you guys wanna play sometime, just PM me. Might not be easy due to timezones, but eh.

Also, I'm not maining Ike this time around, I'm very probably going to main Sheik or perhaps Diddy or Link. Any of those I won't pick plus Ike will still be my secondaries, though.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
Just read this post on GameFAQs:

I find the hard to master characters likeable, but to each their own =P

Personally I find Ike to be the worst character, he's too clunky, his attacks are limited to short range, he's a carbon copy of Marth, and his God-forsaken down+B has killed players more times than it's saved.
qq

mimicmatter

Smash Cadet

qq
Seeing this on gamefaqs is not really surprising, I'm sure you could find someone that posted that MK is the worst character in Brawl, and yet be really serious about what he said !

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014

qq
I remember seeing that post as well. My post in that thread is located three posts above yours.

I also made a thread earlier to conduct a survey of what the GameFAQs community thought of Ike in SSB4 and, as expected, the results were not too particularly skewed toward one choice. Although the votes for him being the "same" was the most popular choice, the other choices "better" and "worse" were not far behind either. Of course, this cannot be an accurate measure of what really became of Ike in this game as I am sure not everyone that voted was an Ike main; also, it's GameFAQs.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/632937-super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-3ds/70238759?results=1#1

^-^

Last edited:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Accidental aether offstage = new nair-cide?

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
I remember seeing that post as well. My post in that thread is located three posts above yours.
Ha, didn't see that at first.

I'm seriously considering making ROB my secondary, he's a lot more fun to use in this game than he was in Brawl. Don't know if he's the optimal option to pair with Ike, but I'll be damned if I don't try to make it work.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Accidental aether offstage = new nair-cide?

Explains all those Greninja players messing up recovery whenever I watched a stream. For some reason, I have yet to suffer from this silly circle pad detection.

Last edited:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I don't think it's accurate/may be different for other characters, but I found it quite funny. I sometimes perform a counter by accident instead of quick draw.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
So far I'm using Mii Gunner as my main secondary along with Robin.

Mii Gunner is just... hilarious in how much spam he can throw out with a 3/3/1/2 build.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I have no idea who I may use as a secondary. Of course I'll still play characters like Jigglypuff and Link for fun, but I think I'll wait til the Wii U version if anyone catches my eye.

Most characters' pivot grabs are pretty ridiculous compared to their normal one, including Ike. The range is like 1.5x normal grab range.

Last edited:
Top Bottom