• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Frame Advantage and Clanking

Violence

Smash Lord
I don't actually know how this works, but I'm sure this mechanic has been explored.

Who has frame advantage after a clank? Is it move dependent?

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
for normals like A attacks it's usually 0-0. But some moves have weird properties. MK's Tornado will clank with you, but his animation won't stop so he'll eat you up while you're still in your clank animation

Grape Ape

Smash Apprentice
To answer this mystery a frame god should be summoned.

Strong bad, strongbad, magus, IÄ! IÄ! CTHULHU FHTAGN!
Uh wait, I'm mixing something up here, aren't I?
I think you've doomed us all.

ON topic: i know some attacks continue after they clank, like fox's fsmash. I've hit/been hit by it after clanking with something. Get up attacks also clank and hit, but that's probably due to invulnerability frames.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
If your attack has more than 1 set of hitboxes (e.g. Falco Fsmash; they change in property and refresh) then the attack continues. I believe the hitboxes that clank also have to do more damage than the opponent's for this to happen.

Otherwise it should be 0-0. I'll double check next time I have frame advance up.

Gea

Smash Master
Clanking is indeed based on % for grounded A moves to A moves. You can jab many fsmashes and see the "clank" bubble appear but it won't stop the attack because it does too few % to.

Luigi's down B cuts the animation entirely I am pretty sure. B moves work a bit differently.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I believe ground moves within 8% of each other clank, and the move that did the lesser damage has frame advantage. I seem to recall reading this amongst m2k's stuff, but i could be wrong

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
yeah I forgot to mention clank Percent. I think it's 10 or 11% in Brawl. This means almost all ground normals will Clank. This also means that some smash attacks usually don't beat nado, but will if they're slightly charged. Also, some attacks that beat tornado won't beat tornado after they stale a little because of this property. Like DK's F-Tilt

Signia

Smash Lord
yeah I forgot to mention clank Percent. I think it's 10 or 11% in Brawl. This means almost all ground normals will Clank. This also means that some smash attacks usually don't beat nado, but will if they're slightly charged. Also, some attacks that beat tornado won't beat tornado after they stale a little because of this property. Like DK's F-Tilt
Nobody here cares about the specifics of beating MK's tornado

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
It's 9% in brawl too.

Rat

Smash Lord
How does clanking work with projectiles?

Are all projectiles considered grounded?
Does it depend on the state you shot the projectile?
Do projectiles care about damage difference? Can you attack through a Stitch-Face Turnip?

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
I've always wondered why Falco's phantasm can clank with aerials (e.g. Sheik or Marth's fair).

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
How does clanking work with projectiles?

Are all projectiles considered grounded?
Does it depend on the state you shot the projectile?
Do projectiles care about damage difference? Can you attack through a Stitch-Face Turnip?
it depends on the projectile. Some have hurtboxes and some don't. B moves in general have special properties when it comes to clanking. For example, none of marth's b moves can actually break a projectile (try neutralb or sideb thru doc's pills).

"Are all projectiles considered grounded?"
All projectiles are considered what they are considered. I don't believe there is an instance of an air projectile being different from the grounded version (not to be confused with different shooting animations). I believe this answers your second question too

"Do projectiles care about damage difference?"
Some projectiles do and some don't. For example, needles will trade with any projectile because of its hurtbox.

"Can you attack through a Stitch-Face Turnip?"
Theoretically a spaced aerial should work (such as marth's fair) but i haven't tested it. On the ground, it should work like any other clank, however its damage is pretty high and would probably only clank with like falcon punch.

I've always wondered why Falco's phantasm can clank with aerials (e.g. Sheik or Marth's fair).
This is because the hitbox for the attack and falco's hurtbox are not in the same place. Falco's hurtbox is pretty far ahead of the hitbox, so if you clank with the sideb, it means you were too slow.

Rat

Smash Lord
Thanks for the answers Sveet.

From playing quaz yesterday every time I naired a stitch face, It didn't work. But on every other turnip it worked.

B moves have weird properties/behaviors. I bet the special move base class do almost nothing. Or like there were a lot of bugs with them.

Gea

Smash Master
Also a note about Marth's side B and projectiles. It can stop ones with a hurtbox like Link's bombs.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The stronger a move is the longer its clank animation is. You're at an advantage if you clank with a weaker move. It's only slight, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could get a jab or 4-5 frame move out before they could move if you time it.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
oops, didn't realize this was melee discussiom, my bad

Top Bottom