• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Float No Impact Land

Quetzalcoatl

Smash Ace
G'day Quetz here, I want to talk about a technique that has been hiding in plain sight. We've already been shown one application of it, Leffen did it in his ledge tech demonstration.

To recap, Leffen suggested using a double jump from the ledge then floating at ledge height which would cause Peach to No Impact Land. Watch the video here: https://youtu.be/YW9oOOhOmuo?t=50 (You only have to watch a minute or so to get the idea)

In case you weren't aware, NIL has 1 frame landing lag vs regular landing/float canceling's 4.

Currently it is becoming popular for Peach players to use Double Jump Land (DJL) to do NILs on platforms on command, something that can only be done by Peach and Yoshi, but more potently used by Peach because of her moveset. However Peach can take it to the next level and become a NIL monster.

Peach can use her Floating animation to NIL on platforms.

It is the same speed as platform DJL, except it has a bigger window making it easier to execute. It also can be done off her Double Jump too. Here is a video I made demonstrating what this looks like:

https://youtu.be/uWO2tlMSbRg

From the testing that I've done so far, this tech makes platform DJL seem redundant, not only does it do exactly the same thing at the same speed, it has a wider window of when the NIL will occur and can be done during her double jump as well opening new options your opponent won't be expecting.

It saddens me that platform DJL may be redundant now. I know I'm not the only one that was getting really good at it. Oh well, practicing my Float NILs has already begun.

Shoutouts to the Tasmanian Peach player coup (Phil Sean) whose keen eye was the beginning of this idea.

buttercup

Smash Rookie
Could you explain why DJL and Float NILs are the same speed? Like for example in doing a techchase on like the side platform of BF it seems to the layman such as myself that a NIL would be faster since it only has 1 frame of lag. Or at least that since there is a relatively large "window" in which the Float NIL can be performed, that it would possibly be faster depending on where in that window you actually did the NIL. Sorry if this is kind of a messy question, but if you could explain your conclusion a bit it would be very helpful! Thank you so much for doing this work :0

Quetzalcoatl

Smash Ace
Could you explain why DJL and Float NILs are the same speed? Like for example in doing a techchase on like the side platform of BF it seems to the layman such as myself that a NIL would be faster since it only has 1 frame of lag. Or at least that since there is a relatively large "window" in which the Float NIL can be performed, that it would possibly be faster depending on where in that window you actually did the NIL. Sorry if this is kind of a messy question, but if you could explain your conclusion a bit it would be very helpful! Thank you so much for doing this work :0
You might have some of the terms/concepts confused so I'll clear up a few things first.

Regular Landing lag is 4 frames, when this happens you will see a smoke puff appear. This is also the same type of landing used in Float Canceling.

No Impact Landing lag is 1 frame. You often see it when some characters perfectly land on a platform, there is no smoke puff.

Peach can No Impact Land on command by using DJL or Float.

In the case of DJL, her double jump dips down slightly before going up, this forces her to make contact with the platform and do a NIL. Keep in mind that when you double jump, there are a few frames in the double jump where you go down. This means there is a very small range of how far you can be above the platform and still dip enough to touch it and do a NIL.
While the NIL is 1 frame, the time taken to dip and touch the platform ranges from about 1-4 frames (this range is because different platforms are at different heights and Peach's body will be at different heights while she is rising upwards through the platform)

With Float NIL, you can activate float slightly earlier than when you would time a DJL. Whereas DJL is a dip, Float NIL is Peach raising her legs above the platform (see my display pic to see what I mean). Once her legs are sufficiently above the platform, if you drop float you will get a NIL.
If you spaced it perfectly, the NIL will happen on the next frame, however if you overshot the mark a bit, you may need to wait a few frames. You can even test and see that a full hop float will still no impact land but it takes a moment. This is what I mean when I say Float NIL has a bigger window, I am comparing the 1-4 frames from DJL's dip to Float NIL's 1-10 or maybe more leg drop. (I'll try and find an exact number for Float NIL's upper limit for completion sake)

I hope that cleared up any misunderstanding, if you're still not sure I'm happy to keep clarifying, sometimes when you are so deep into an idea its easy to skip details when explaining it to others.

Last edited:

Raisin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4971-3853-0253
This is actually really sick. Thanks for sharing this. I kinda wanna practice it right now. I've seen Leffen's video on it a while back, but never did it cross my mind to use it on platforms. You're a saint.

RedPittoo

Smash Rookie
This seems to have really amazing potential for extending techases. Could you provide the exact inputs you're using to perform the technique? I'm having trouble with the timing.

Quetzalcoatl

Smash Ace
Inputs:

- Hold Jump button when performing the Jump you wish to Float NIL
- When passing through the platform, tap down on the control stick (this will start the float)
- Immediately let go of the jump button and control stick to drop the float (you want your float to be as short as possible)

Sockmouth

Smash Rookie
DJL won't be completely be redundant as the dip in Peach's DJ is more convenient when going from top to side platforms. What I mean is when you're going down the rising of Peach's feet when floating is slower than DJL's dip.

Top Bottom