• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Flamecaller of Kalos: Delphox for DLC! What future do the flames foretell?

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
I wouldn't make it quite that strong. I mean, damn, a decently fast move (when fully charged) that hits from half of FD away and would kill at under 100%!? Just a tad overpowered. >_>

I was thinking more in the 140-150% range, around where Thoron kills. One of the drawbacks we have planned for our moveset is that Delphox would only have average kill power.

I have to say, though, your enthusiasm is infectious.
Oh, I thought the purpose of the slow charge up was to give her a powerful projectile. I don't think I follow. But I guess it's kind of cheap if you can condition the opponent with all your zoning tools first.

A kill throw or a powerful smash attack could a simple answer to your average kill power problem.

Don't know if that's a good thing but thanks. It's just that Delphox would be such a unique addition to the roster and your moveset reminded me of how hype Delphox's inclusion could be.

Delphox is my favourite Pokemon and I want her in not because I think her inclusion would be well received but because she just has a lot of potential for a great moveset.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Oh, I thought the purpose of the slow charge up was to give her a powerful projectile. I don't think I follow. But I guess it's kind of cheap if you can condition the opponent with all your zoning tools first.

A kill throw or a powerful smash attack could a simple answer to your average kill power problem.
The middling kill power is a design choice, though, not an accidental flaw. Every character has their vulnerable points, and for this hypothetical set, not being able to kill early is one of them, along with having above average size and below average weight.

Don't worry, though, she won't be underpowered by any means. We're still talking decent killing ability--nothing Sheik-like--on top of having disjointed htiboxes on most attacks and three different projectiles that each serve different purposes and that opponents must react to in different ways. And Mystic Fire'll still be good damage-wise even if it can't kill as early as Shadow Ball or Charge Beam.

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
For some reason I keep mixing up this thread with Krystal's due to "Psychic Vixen" being in the title, which also applies to Delphox as well, eheheh~ >w<;;

I support! I like foxes. :3

I also like Psychic types, but it's mainly due to foxes, eheheh~

I could perhaps make a personal move set of my own once I have the time and share it. Could be fun~ :3

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
For some reason I keep mixing up this thread with Krystal's due to "Psychic Vixen" being in the title, which also applies to Delphox as well, eheheh~ >w<;;

I support! I like foxes. :3

I also like Psychic types, but it's mainly due to foxes, eheheh~

I could perhaps make a personal move set of my own once I have the time and share it. Could be fun~ :3
Heh. If this humble little thread is getting confused with the thread of a highly requested character, it must mean something good.

It's been a while, Timid. Glad to have you with us. Any ideas you can bring with you give us that much more to work with to win more people over.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Amazing, the way these last couple months have sped by. In just a few hours, we'll finally see what Nintendo has planned for the rest of the year and beyond. Even with the Smash presentation last Sunday, I feel we'll see more revealed today, of content that'll be released to us in the coming months. A character or even two isn't out of the question.

...And though it's a long shot, there's a chance we might see Delphox revealed today.

Remember that theory I had a while back? The one that considered they might revisit character ideas they had early in development to bring in as DLC? The way Mewtwo was revealed seemed to imply he was the first one out of the initial roster, so to speak. Ryu might have been given a look early on and then passed on for Mega Man, though in that case, there's still too much we don't know. Roy may have even been based on his leftover data from Brawl, after he missed the cut there!

We also know that they decided to add a Pokémon from Generation 6 back when Gen 6 was still itself being worked on, realizing X and Y would be out for a year by the time Smash 4 was released and the fans would practically expect someone from the newest games. We know they chose Greninja based solely on concept art and some extra information. But could they have given other mons a look, as well?

If the idea of a waterbending ninja frog appealed to them...could they have also been interested in a certain spellcasting fox? On paper, "the Fire starter's final form is a freaking mage and the first Fire starter since Gen 2 to not be part Fighting" might've sounded enough like a potential fan favorite to catch their attention.

And while Greninja was a great choice...if there were other mons considered, could the developers have revisited them some time last winter? Perhaps one of them still has their interest.

Perhaps we'll see that one later today.

I can't promise anything. Let's be realistic here, it's a long shot.

But if certain, plausible things went on behind the scenes...we just might surprise everyone.

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Nope, it didn't seem to happen, and honestly I wasn't really expecting it to. They had their smash direct a couple days ago and that was it. I wasn't expecting any more smash related news at this e3 at all.

However there is one good thing we can take out of this and thats the fact that Roy got added into the game despite there being 4 FE characters one one of them already being a clone. Now we have 5 reps for a franchise who isn't even one of their biggest selling.

In otherwords, I think it's safe to say that how many reps a franchise has doesn't matter, and Delphox won't be hindered by the fact that there is already 6 Pokemon reps. But still... chances are going to be hard. Just gotta keep voting in the ballot.

Maybe make some Delphox pictures on Greninja's Miiverse posts.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Well, I did say it was a long shot. I'm surprised we didn't see any Smash news, though.

But yeah, I feel Roy proves over-representation definitely isn't a thing now. The problem lies in getting everyone to realize it...

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Considering we weren't actually supposed to know anything about Ryu or Roy at all until Sunday, I'm not really surprised that we didn't hear anything else about Smash afterwards.

Also, I don't think we have to really get anyone to realize that over-rep isn't a problem, Nintendo themselves knows that it isn't a problem and that alone gives Delphox a better chance. The only thing I hate about Delphox's chances is that he has to also compete with Chesnaught. Its hard to see Delphox getting in but not Chesnaught, it doesn't seem fair. I mean, Greninja being in isn't fair either but he sort of reps Gen 6 in general. Adding Delphox alone would be like a weird 2/3 starter, and yeah, getting Chesnaught along with Delphox would be great but, even for no such thing as over-rep in smash, I still think its cutting it too much.

Hopefully I'm wrong though.

EDIT:

Also, now that Miiverse is open, I checked out the Greninja section and found this

as for the second one, I drew this myself.

Last edited:

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Count me in for a supporter! I want Delphox more than anything! I wish chances were higher.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Count me in for a supporter! I want Delphox more than anything! I wish chances were higher.
Welcome. As it stands, we'd probably have to bank on Delphox being considered early in development and then brought back now outside of the Smash Ballot. But hey, anything can happen, right? We've seen how some characters have suddenly become popular.

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Welcome. As it stands, we'd probably have to bank on Delphox being considered early in development and then brought back now outside of the Smash Ballot. But hey, anything can happen, right? We've seen how some characters have suddenly become popular.
Just in case, we should still try to get as many Delphox voters as possible before the ballot closes in October.

Delphox still has a long way to go.

This thread has been quiet.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Another lull in the action. How about a look into the concepts behind that moveset we've been planning?

-=Stats=-
Size: 7/10
Weight: 89 (Upper-Lightweight, T-38th w/ Peach)
Walk Speed: 1.19 (Semi-fast, 18th, ahead of Link and Mii Swordfighter but behind the Pits)
Running Speed: 1.7 (Semi-fast, 19th, ahead of Mewtwo and Wii Fit Trainer but below Donkey Kong)
Air Speed: 1 (Average, T-24th w/ Rosalina, Robin, and Little Mac)
Fall Speed: 1.35 (Semi-Floaty, T-35th w/ Zelda, Olimar, and Pac-Man)
Attack Strength: 5.5/10
Attack Speed: 4/10
Combo Potential: 6/10
Kill Power: 5/10
Recovery: 6.5/10
Special Techniques: Wall Jump

Playstyle: Trapmaster Zoner (Think a less extreme Robin with multicolored fire.)

-Pros-
+Disjoints on all attacks
+Three projectiles that each serve different roles
+Surprisingly mobile for a zoner
+Strong in both neutral and advantage states
~Stronger in advantage, though; pressing advantages when they come works better than hard camping
+Kill moves are reliable, for the most part
+Difficult to edgeguard if given space

-Cons-
-Above average size coupled with below average weight
-Struggles against direct pressure; poor in disadvantage state
~Decent at escaping juggles, though
-Projectiles are linear--vulnerable to campers with more control over theirs
-Little ability to kill until ~130% and no spike--can only kill early by edgeguarding or getting a stage spike

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
On a different note, the Pokémon characters we've seen in Smash have (almost) all had anime counterparts in major roles. Where does that leave Delphox in comparison?

...Not bad, actually. In the main series itself, Serena's Fennekin has evolved once already, so she'll likely have one eventually. As far as movies go, the most recent one (as of right now) has one owned by one of the antagonists.

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
Welcome, @ slambros slambros ! It's always nice to have more people on board.

Sorry for not being around. I've just been ultra busy.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
On a different note, the Pokémon characters we've seen in Smash have (almost) all had anime counterparts in major roles. Where does that leave Delphox in comparison?

...Not bad, actually. In the main series itself, Serena's Fennekin has evolved once already, so she'll likely have one eventually. As far as movies go, the most recent one (as of right now) has one owned by one of the antagonists.
You're statement has some merit to it, but I think it's about 50/50 in terms of Anime and Game inspirations.

Pikachu: Anime Inspiration, Pikachu was not an important Pokemon until it's debut in the Anime, where you pretty much know the rest of the story from there.

Jigglypuff: Anime Inspiration, Jiggs again, like Pikachu, was not an important Pokemon in the games. In the anime however it had a significant role despite never being caught and eventually got to become Japan's 2nd most popular pokemon at one time. Wouldn't have ever been in any future smash game had she not gotten into 64.

Charizard/Pokemon Trainer: Game Inspiration, Starter Pokemon? On the cover of Pokemon red? You betcha he's game inspired.

Mewtwo: Game inspiration, first legendary Pokemon of Gen 1, I suppose you could say the movie has some merit to it, but he was only important in the movie because he was important in the games.
Lucario: ....honestly I have no idea, he could go either way
Greninja: Game Inspiration, the man was included into Smash before he was even known.

Then theres Meowth, probably the next most important anime pokemon besides Pikachu, and he's never been in smash.

So what does this say about Delphox? Well, I don't think it's anime appearances will make too much of a difference, but it kind of does show that Delphox is more popular than Chesnaught, as it has made a ton more appearances in the anime than Chesnaught has. Leads me to believe Chesnaught is the least popular of the 3. I'd also like to think that out of all of the Pokemon that aren't in smash yet, Delphox has one of the best chances. However, the chances of getting another Pokemon rep at all are pretty low.

Also, with the recent front cover of Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon, it leads me to believe that had we gotten a Kalos trainer instead of just Greninja, we would've gotten Chespin, Braixen, and Greninja. Tbh I would've liked that better than just Greninja. Oh well. I'll take Braixen just as much as I would Delphox, either would work for me.

Last edited:

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
I love seeing all this support we're getting. I didn't think there would actually be any support because Delphox fans are either a rare sight or they're all hidden because of all the Delphox hatred/witch hunts that have been around since it's first appearance.

I've been thinking that it's the latter because I feel that Delphox must have a fandom with it's design being so likable to those who love Mages/Witches, Pyromancers, and Mythology.

The Fennekin line is very odd with how the first two evolutions are very popular but the final evolution is one of the most hated Pokemon out there (I blame BlueHarvest).

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Two new supporters in one day? We've made it, everyone! :chuckle:

In all seriousness, though, welcome. We're gonna try and pick things up from here on out, so show your support however you can!

The Fennekin line is very odd with how the first two evolutions are very popular but the final evolution is one of the most hated Pokemon out there (I blame BlueHarvest).
Who? I can't say I've heard of that person/entity before.

Last edited:

Elin

Your face is strange... Is it always like that?
NNID
ShinySilverEevee
3DS FC
5301-1189-1305
I'll support it, though I'd rather have Chesnaught.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Yeah I'm not gonna lie, I don't understand the any sort of dislike for Delphox as the final evolution. It's pretty clear that Delphox's design came first because of the whole Mage/Warrior/Ninja motif they were going for. Fennekin and Braixen were merely created as pre-evolutions to Delphox.

Fennekin was the most popular of the three because well, it's a fox and Chespin/Froakie didn't look too interesting. Then people got mad because Fennekin stood up on two legs after evolving and then Delphox got leaked (which is like, do you want another version of Zorua, Vulpix, and Ninetails? Like seriously?). I'll be honest tho, Delphox's in-game model is kind of bad, I never understood why his earfluff is so thin when looking at it sideways. It looks like somebody flattened him and the pose he has is pretty terrible too. It probably left a very bad first impression on a lot of people.

Delphox's dislike might have to do with its gender confusing appearance as well, Fennekin was pretty either way in terms of gender appearance, Braixen looks very feminine, and Delphox kind of looks like it can be Male or Female depending if you view the waist fur as a dress or a cloak. It kind of separated it's target audience leaving most confused, especially when the Delphox species is 90% Male.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Delphox has been growing on me, ever since I made a team of overlooked Pokemon for doubles. She ended up overtaking my intended stars for the team bar one in usefulness, which gave me quite a surprise. I'd be very pleased to see her/him/it/whatever get in to Smash Bros. Admittedly, she's not my first, second or even third choice for the next Pokemon rep, but that doesn't mean I'd be upset at all if she were to get in, in fact I'd welcome it eagerly. She's got a lot of moveset potential, and I'd really like to see more mages be apart of Smash Bros anyway, so I'm all for it.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Two more new members! Welcome!

Fennekin was the most popular of the three because well, it's a fox and Chespin/Froakie didn't look too interesting. Then people got mad because Fennekin stood up on two legs after evolving and then Delphox got leaked (which is like, do you want another version of Zorua, Vulpix, and Ninetails? Like seriously?).
Delphox's dislike might have to do with its gender confusing appearance as well, Fennekin was pretty either way in terms of gender appearance, Braixen looks very feminine, and Delphox kind of looks like it can be Male or Female depending if you view the waist fur as a dress or a cloak. It kind of separated it's target audience leaving most confused, especially when the Delphox species is 90% Male.
Yeah, I think some of it comes from how Delphox ended up looking differently than a lot of the fans expected. With how interconnected the Pokémon fans are nowadays, a lot of fanart went around of what the Kalos starters' final forms could look like, and everyone had their own ideas. As per usual, what ended up happening didn't always match up with what people saw in their imaginations. It's like how so many people say movies adapted from books are never as good as the books themselves were.

Personally, with how big a fan I am of both Final Fantasy and Fire Emblem, I actually really liked that they went for a straight up mage motif.

I'll be honest tho, Delphox's in-game model is kind of bad, I never understood why his earfluff is so thin when looking at it sideways. It looks like somebody flattened him and the pose he has is pretty terrible too. It probably left a very bad first impression on a lot of people.
I figure that had something to do with it as well. There've always been some things about Ken Sugimori's art style that bugged me, and Delphox did bring a couple of those to the forefront. I actually prefer some of the fanart out there to the official art because it takes the design and refines it so well.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Lets take a look at the in-game art poses

vs

Who has the cooler pose? Even as a Delphox fan, Greninja easily has the more interesting pose. Delphox is just kinda.... standing there? Idk why they didn't give it a more dynamic stance like they did for Greninja.

Then you look at poses from fan-art like this and suddenly Delphox looks alot cooler.

I think design wise the character is fine, just thicken the earfluff from the side Delphox doesn't look like it got pancaked. Though, while looking through all that fan-art I can't help but facepalm over all the designs that add breasts into them, just seems kinda... unnecessary imo. It's better off they leave Delphox's gender ambiguous.

Last edited:

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
Lets take a look at the in-game art poses

vs

Who has the cooler pose? Even as a Delphox fan, Greninja easily has the more interesting pose. Delphox is just kinda.... standing there? Idk why they didn't give it a more dynamic stance like they did for Greninja.

Then you look at poses from fan-art like this and suddenly Delphox looks alot cooler.

I think design wise the character is fine, just thicken the earfluff from the side Delphox doesn't look like it got pancaked. Though, while looking through all that fan-art I can't help but facepalm over all the designs that add breasts into them, just seems kinda... unnecessary imo. It's better off they leave Delphox's gender ambiguous.
The 3D model they gave Delphox is what I always blame for the "ugly" and "bad design" comments.

Alongside the awkward pose and pancake earhair, her colors look muddy and the body proportions look off compared to what we have in the official artwork (see my profile picture).

Oooh that fanmade Delphox sprite is pretty well done. The pose Delphox is in is what I consider her signature pose (or one of them). It's the same stance they gave Delphox in the Global Link art (again, refer to my profile pic). It would be so badass if Delphox had it in the games. Chesnaught also kind of suffers from this awkward standing in it's model.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
The 3D model they gave Delphox is what I always blame for the "ugly" and "bad design" comments.

Alongside the awkward pose and pancake earhair, her colors look muddy and the body proportions look off compared to what we have in the official artwork (see my profile picture).

Oooh that fanmade Delphox sprite is pretty well done. The pose Delphox is in is what I consider her signature pose (or one of them). It's the same stance they gave Delphox in the Global Link art (again, refer to my profile pic). It would be so badass if Delphox had it in the games. Chesnaught also kind of suffers from this awkward standing in it's model.

Exactly, now think about this, Greninja's idle pose in Smash is the same as in Pokemon X/Y, if we got Delphox, do you really think it wouldn't get that same lame standing pose? I bet you Sakurai was given the choice of the 3 starters and was like "These two look dumb as hell, lets go with the one that has the cool pose. I could do a lot with that." Remember, Greninja was picked BEFORE the public got to even see him, so popularity had nothing to do with it. Sakurai just picked the one that looked the coolest and had the most potential for a unique character.

If only Greninja had not been apart of Gen 6 or if Delphox had a better stance in X/Y, it could've had a better chance of appearing in smash. Sadly that wasn't the case and now we have to rely on DLC, and a very uphill battle at that. Sakurai has stated he's using the ballot as fanservice, so while uniqueness and actual logic still applies (meaning we're not getting Ridley, Waluigi, Geno, Goku, Shrek, ect), popularity is really going to triumph. I could see fans being upset if Delphox got in as Sakurai's answer to fanservice. But that just means we've got to gain more support and make it worth his time. So don't stop voting for Delphox in the ballot.

Speaking of gaining popularity, I'm sure you guys have heard of Artist Omny. Perhaps we should try to get him to smashify Delphox? That would certainly help raise Delphox's popularity quite a bit.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Exactly, now think about this, Greninja's idle pose in Smash is the same as in Pokemon X/Y, if we got Delphox, do you really think it wouldn't get that same lame standing pose? I bet you Sakurai was given the choice of the 3 starters and was like "These two look dumb as hell, lets go with the one that has the cool pose. I could do a lot with that." Remember, Greninja was picked BEFORE the public got to even see him, so popularity had nothing to do with it. Sakurai just picked the one that looked the coolest and had the most potential for a unique character.

If only Greninja had not been apart of Gen 6 or if Delphox had a better stance in X/Y, it could've had a better chance of appearing in smash.
Not to worry. Lucario, Charizard, and Mewtwo all have poses that differ from their idle pose in Gen 6, so they could change things up if they felt it'd look better. Greninja's idle pose just happens to also be the same as the pose in its official art, for one.

For two, it's not as if they only had the basic art to go off. I'm willing to bet they saw the full concept art for several Gen 6 mons, along with design notes and other background info. In fact, that might help us in the short term. After all, we may still see a couple reveals before they start pulling from the Smash Ballot (still two placeholders unaccounted for, and we know they want to implement "several" Ballot characters). Could there have been other Pokémon they considered before deciding on Greninja? Could they potentially have brought them back when DLC talk started, the way they did with Mewtwo and (likely) Lucas and Roy?

After all, the idea of a Fire-type fox that becomes a full blown mage in its final form sounds pretty damn awesome, and they would've had everything but the ingame idle pose to go off. There's a (small) chance the dev team could've gained a soft spot for Delphox like they seem to have for Roy.

Sadly that wasn't the case and now we have to rely on DLC, and a very uphill battle at that. Sakurai has stated he's using the ballot as fanservice, so while uniqueness and actual logic still applies (meaning we're not getting Ridley, Waluigi, Geno, Goku, Shrek, ect), popularity is really going to triumph. I could see fans being upset if Delphox got in as Sakurai's answer to fanservice. But that just means we've got to gain more support and make it worth his time. So don't stop voting for Delphox in the ballot.
By all means, we need to pick up speed. We have a primary moveset in the works already, and any additional movesets you have can help offer that much more variety and spur readers' imaginations. If any of you know any prominent members in the community, see if you can get them on board (without being annoying, of course; we need to be seen as a positive force, not a pain in the aft end).

If we can get a surge of support that all focuses on what new things Delphox can bring to Smash (since uniqueness was one of the big factors for the initial newcomers and it seems to be very important to the dev team), we may just have a fighting chance. We'll need to at least be on par with Sceptile, if not overtake him a little...although can you imagine if both got in? Heheh.

Speaking of gaining popularity, I'm sure you guys have heard of Artist Omny. Perhaps we should try to get him to smashify Delphox? That would certainly help raise Delphox's popularity quite a bit.
I agree...although getting Artsy Omni to give us priority will be near-impossible unless he's secretly a big Delphox fan. We need to at least find someone who's skilled enough to make it look close to that level of quality, though. We're talking good enough to get onto Smashboards' home page the way that Rhythm Troupe one was...and from there, let it spread to all the Pokémon sites.

Maybe Nintendo would add Braixen instead since she has a bigger... fanbase ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
They're not doing that kind of fanservice! :p

Although from what I've heard, Delphox has around as big of that kind of "fanbase", anyway. It's irrelevant...although I don't think it hurts us.

Last edited:

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
Maybe Nintendo would add Braixen instead since she has a bigger... fanbase ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
It would be cool if Braixen got in but I think she'd have even slimmer chances than Delphox because she doesn't have as much unique qualities and she'd be pretty similar to the Fennekin AT I guess.

I'm biased towards Delphox though because I'd obviously want my favourite Pokemon to get in.

And on the Delphox Smashify topic, it would be really cool to see it happen. But I think he would only use Delphox as an example character on his streams because she isn't popular enough.

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
The only time Braixen had a better chance was when we thought we'd get the Kalos trainer rather than Greninja. Delphox has the better chance between the two now. Braixen isn't 0% like Fennekin is, but it's lower chances than what Delphox's are.

Anyone else also side hoping that Delphox gets confirmed for Pokken Fighters? We already know that Fennekin is an assist in that game, it'd be pretty darn BS if Delphox doesn't make it in that game either. I'd be pretty bummed out.

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
The only time Braixen had a better chance was when we thought we'd get the Kalos trainer rather than Greninja. Delphox has the better chance between the two now. Braixen isn't 0% like Fennekin is, but it's lower chances than what Delphox's are.

Anyone else also side hoping that Delphox gets confirmed for Pokken Fighters? We already know that Fennekin is an assist in that game, it'd be pretty darn BS if Delphox doesn't make it in that game either. I'd be pretty bummed out.
Yeah, I've been trying to rack up some Delphox support for Pokken as well. I feel Delphox has a much better chance to be included there than in smash. Delphox seems to be one of the popular requests over there so I'm going to be salty if she doesn't make it.

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
So back to Delphox in Smash as a character on how he'd work. Would it be too out of place to say that Delphox's normal attacks would be really weak while it's special attacks would be very strong? If you think about it, Delphox has the strongest Sp. Atk stat of any starter pokemon, while having probably the weakest Atk stat of any starter. So it'd make sense if Delphox players had to rely on killing and doing damage with their special moves compared to their regular attacks. Could make for quite the dynamic character.

As for running speed, Smash seems to make Pokemon's speed seem inconsistent. As Pikachu is much faster than Lucario despite having the same base speed, as well as Mewtwo being considerably slower while having the highest speed of any Pokemon. So its hard to say how fast Delphox would actually be, but I want to say that he'd be just as fast as Lucario.

To different Delphox from somebody like Robin who is also a mage user. I'd imagine Delphox would be more of a trap centric character, maybe setting something on the ground that would cause a character to get stunned if they landed on it. Robin's side B would be a given on Delphox tho. That would fit perfectly.

Honestly Delphox could easily be a weird combination of Robin, Zelda, Rosalina, and new stuff entirely. One could really come up with a really creative moveset for this character.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
That's an interesting way to go with it, actually. Mine and Shay's moveset is going in a different direction (most of the A moves involve swinging around one of those sticks they use as wands while it's ignited, for one), but if you're coming up with a moveset built around your idea, then by all means, go ahead with it! All the big name candidates have multiple moveset ideas, and so the more we have, the better we'll measure up.

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
Interestingly enough, Delphox is easily my favorite of the Kalos starters... And my favorite starter ever. I admit to being a sucker for mages and fennec foxes, though. I was honestly bummed when I saw Greninja because it wasn't my first choice for a sixth gen rep, but I think I was too surprised to be upset.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I was actually floored when they revealed Greninja, mostly because no one saw him coming. Up until that very Direct, we all thought Red was coming back, and that really limited what mons from Gen 6 would've been unique.

Then again, I didn't get fully invested in speculation until early June, so I didn't think very hard about it before then. XD

I didn't even consider Delphox until a few days before the January Direct. Then things started coming together, and here we are.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Yeah, it was pretty darn surprising alright. For the longest time I had thought we were going to get the Kalos trainer. Gen 6 was here, and there was no way Sakurai wasn't going to not rep it some how. So my friend and I were arguing which trio it was going to be between the 3 starters and their evolutions. When it came to the actual direct and they said the transformation gimmicks were cut, along with the apperance of the Pokeball Fennekin, my hopes for Braixen or Delphox quickly dropped.

When it came time for the trailer and Charizard was announced, I was really upset at first because I thought that we were about to get Mewtwo, it would've been incredibly lame tbh if that was their reveal. However it ended up being Greninja and boy was I surprised. Never in a million years did I think they would just pick ONE of the 3 starters. I mean I guess they did with Charizard but idk. It never felt right to me. Greninja was cool and all, but sadly his play style just doesn't work for me and now he's just kinda there. So here I am, hoping for Delphox. I play the Mii Brawler right now mostly because I get to be whatever character I want, Smash's current cast doesn't satisfy me.

nonbinarysmasher

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chaosmagic
Just seen this thread like weeks ago and I decided to make an account here for some other stuff too.
Delphox is one of the best pokemons imo because it's a mage and a fennec fox and I also have a thing for fire too.
To me he ( yeah to me out of the fennekin line delphox looks the most masculine )
could be a really unique fighter in smash, altough I have no ideas for movesets yet.
So to make it simple, I fully support having delphox in smash.

Last edited:

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
Yeah, it was pretty darn surprising alright. For the longest time I had thought we were going to get the Kalos trainer. Gen 6 was here, and there was no way Sakurai wasn't going to not rep it some how. So my friend and I were arguing which trio it was going to be between the 3 starters and their evolutions. When it came to the actual direct and they said the transformation gimmicks were cut, along with the apperance of the Pokeball Fennekin, my hopes for Braixen or Delphox quickly dropped.

When it came time for the trailer and Charizard was announced, I was really upset at first because I thought that we were about to get Mewtwo, it would've been incredibly lame tbh if that was their reveal. However it ended up being Greninja and boy was I surprised. Never in a million years did I think they would just pick ONE of the 3 starters. I mean I guess they did with Charizard but idk. It never felt right to me. Greninja was cool and all, but sadly his play style just doesn't work for me and now he's just kinda there. So here I am, hoping for Delphox. I play the Mii Brawler right now mostly because I get to be whatever character I want, Smash's current cast doesn't satisfy me.
Just thought about something. A Delphox Mii hat or costume would be pretty awesome but I always feel as though representation through Miis doesn't feel right for most of the characters that received that treatment.

With that said, I feel as though Delphox is a Pokemon who deserves a slot rather than being shown through a Pokeball, Trophy or background appearance in a stage. But I still find it a little odd that she hasn't appeared in any of those in this game.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
With that said, I feel as though Delphox is a Pokemon who deserves a slot rather than being shown through a Pokeball, Trophy or background appearance in a stage. But I still find it a little odd that she hasn't appeared in any of those in this game.
Honestly that's a good thing. No appearance what so ever gives way for a playable character. Popular characters such as Meowth, Ridley, Waluigi, and Shadow are pretty much a no go due to their Assist Trophy, Pokeball, or Boss status. Still, a trophy of Delphox would've been nice to look at.

To me he ( yeah to me out of the fennekin line delphox looks the most masculine )
Oh my god, somebody other than me who looks at Delphox as a male. I thought it'd never happen in a million years.

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
lol I originally saw Delphoxs as males but I kind of forced myself to refer to them as females in general after I started looking for it's sources of inspiration. Idk but looking at it that way just makes the most sense to me when I look at it's evolutionary growth in the Fennekin line.

I don't understand why some people can't see Delphox being a male and whine about it's gender ratio though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom