• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Flamecaller of Kalos: Delphox for DLC! What future do the flames foretell?

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
I was thinking that Delphox should have an ability that functions like a passive knock off effect for all her attacks. It would give her an interesting niche and it would suit her with her trickster side of things.

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Just several days left. I'm super anxious right now. I really can't take this anticipation for Delphox much longer.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Another off topic thing, but I've found footage of Delphox in Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon. I'll put spoilers on it just to make sure that I don't well... spoil it for anyone if they don't want to be.

During the game, you and your partner for some reason will evolve straight into their final forms at certain parts in the story, they just flat out skip the middle evo. So hooray! If you pick Fennekin you'll get to play as Delphox in the main story at different points. I do also believe you can evolve your two main guys at the end after the story is over, but I'm not 100% sure. Still cool regardless.

DragonSkator

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0662-4968-7646
Another off topic thing, but I've found footage of Delphox in Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon. I'll put spoilers on it just to make sure that I don't well... spoil it for anyone if they don't want to be.

During the game, you and your partner for some reason will evolve straight into their final forms at certain parts in the story, they just flat out skip the middle evo. So hooray! If you pick Fennekin you'll get to play as Delphox in the main story at different points. I do also believe you can evolve your two main guys at the end after the story is over, but I'm not 100% sure. Still cool regardless.

My jaw dropped when I saw that wow, it was the only reason why I'm getting this game in the first place! x3

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin

Late, but...

That's actually really interesting. One of the things that's always bugged me about PMD is how they always locked your main character into their base form and basically made them worse off statistically for the entire main game. Now it seems this one's a little less restrictive...even if it's only at certain times.

It seems like things are really trending up for us...even if only a little. But our moment of truth may be upon us now. Whatever they're planning for tonight, it's warranting a long server update, the likes of which we haven't seen since the E3 one...and we all remember what we got then. And yet, considering they've yet to announce a presentation or anything...

I don't know. Even if we don't see any new characters, it doesn't rule out more pre-Ballot content. It'll likely take them a few months to get the first wave of Ballot content finished.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Also another thing, this video shows Delphox walking. It's pretty neat how his earfluff bounces like that as he walks. It wasn't until now that we actually see Delphox canonically in motion like this. Yes I said he the Delphox in this video is infact Male so HA. Handsomest Delphox

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
Also another thing, this video shows Delphox walking. It's pretty neat how his earfluff bounces like that as he walks. It wasn't until now that we actually see Delphox canonically in motion like this. Yes I said he the Delphox in this video is infact Male so HA. Handsomest Delphox

Can someone post some screenshots? My phone can't play the video because live youtube videos are weird.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
That final dungeon, though. Was that Pokémon or Etrian Odyssey?

...And the servers should be dropping out soon, shouldn't they?

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Just downloaded the Smash update. Darn it! STILL no sign of Delphox. Still no new characters at all. I knew it. Sakurai really is waiting until the very end of the ballot. No more pre-ballot characters. I'm losing hope. The end is just around the corner.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Remain calm, everyone. I don't think this instantly rules out any pre-Ballot...or non-Ballot...characters. You have to remember, it takes a while to create a character from the ground up, somewhere in the realm of a few months. There's a pretty good chance we won't start seeing content pulled from the Smash Ballot until early next year, meaning there could easily be pre-Ballot characters that were started after E3 and won't be finished until some time in October or November.

And even after that point? Who says every character from here on out will be from the Smash Ballot? If they have a lot more content planned, maybe they're going to mix and match a little.

It's far too early and we know far too little information to jump to conclusions...even though the conclusion-jumpers will get more attention.

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I'll just have to keep waiting. Characters take time.

Patience is a virtue. You can't rush art.

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I'm not exactly sure why you guys think Delphox can't actually get picked from the Ballot and has to rely on the Pre-Ballot. Seriously, there is no hope to lose in anything until those slots start getting filled up by other winning characters.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I'm not exactly sure why you guys think Delphox can't actually get picked from the Ballot and has to rely on the Pre-Ballot. Seriously, there is no hope to lose in anything until those slots start getting filled up by other winning characters.
It's more that we have a better chance through non-Ballot means. Even if you take out a lot of the third party characters due to how much more complicated they'd be to collaborate with, even if you take out the characters who might not bring much new to the table, even if you take out flavor of the month picks or brand new characters whose long term appeal is still up in the air...there's a lot of competition. We're not exactly a juggernaut support base, and while that doesn't rule us out automatically, it'll most likely make things more difficult. At least we have a potential way in through non-Ballot means, if that theory of mine means anything.

All I want right now is some proof that we're getting more than just those placeholders.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I think the opposite really. The moment the ballot started I had a feeling that there were no more pre-selected characters like Ryu, Roy, and Lucas. That is why I do not expect to see Wolf, Pichu, or IC return. But now that the ballot is going to END and we have not received word of future characters, that sort of seals the deal that we are only relying on the ballot alone. For if they were to announce a character now, everyone would think it is from the ballot, and I don't see them saying "this was our pick, we didn't get it from the ballot"

That being said, our chances in the actual ballot are slim, but I have faith in sakurai that he will pick by suggestion and not by winning votes. If we truly have the best idea for a unique character, Delphox will get in, and it is only our fault if Delphox doesn't get in. If Delphox doesn't get in, I am hoping to see a unique character rather than just a popular one.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Some interesting ideas there. I certainly wouldn't mind a Zoroark Brawler costume, for one...

Sign me up as a supporter. Didn't even know this was a thing.
Yep, we're a thing. In fact, there're some small clusters of support in quite a few places, from what I've seen. Consider yourself signed.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin

Well...this is it, everyone. By this time tomorrow, it'll be out of our hands. Though we haven't made as much of an impact as the larger support bases, though we still have too many people refusing to hear us out...we've still made an impact of some kind. We've managed to keep pace surprisingly well for having barely done anything before the Ballot opened, and this thread has even overtaken some big names with less active support bases over the last six months.

And...just maybe, some of the content we've put out there, some of the nominations we've made, some of our voices we've made known will lead to something.

Speaking of which...I finally did this last night.

Smash Ballot Entry.png

I wanted to wait until close to the deadline. Wanted to have as clear as grasp as possible on where characters stood, so I could decide which of the ones I was interested in needed it the most. Now...I'm officially all in.

Here's hoping for the best, everyone. We may be a long shot in the eyes of many...but who says that means we have no chance?

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
Shall we start up a skype group now since the ballot will close tomorrow?

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Shall we start up a skype group now since the ballot will close tomorrow?
Only if the thread has to close down, for whatever reason. Worst case scenario, it's because Smash 4 DLC officially comes to a close.

Best case scenario...we have a subforum to move into and a Skype group to make for mains.

Last edited:

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
I heard someone hypothesize that these threads will be closed down like all the support threads that were around before the game's release. Hopefully though, we won't have to worry about that until all the DLC characters are released. :/

Until then, hopefully our support can get the attention of the Pokken developers.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
It's always annoying to see all the votes for Shante/Shovel Knight/K.Rool/Wolf, I see so many of them and most of them don't expect any other characters to possibly make it into the game. I really hope Sakurai truely does ignores flat out popularity and focuses on gameplay innovation instead. If there was ANYBODY that we could rely on getting Delphox in, it's this guy for sure.

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
It's always annoying to see all the votes for Shante/Shovel Knight/K.Rool/Wolf, I see so many of them and most of them don't expect any other characters to possibly make it into the game. I really hope Sakurai truely does ignores flat out popularity and focuses on gameplay innovation instead. If there was ANYBODY that we could rely on getting Delphox in, it's this guy for sure.
I completely agree! Sakurai must focus on innovation, rather than popularity. He's not even interested in having characters in all just because they're popular. Delphox would be innovative, but apparently, many don't think so.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Careful, everyone. Let's not attack other characters. We want to take the high road with this.

I wouldn't be one to say he should ignore popularity, since it'd be a slap in the face to all the massive followings that have sprung up. I think he should acknowledge them yet take them into context and focus just as much on the characters themselves and what new things they could bring to Smash. I mean, for all K. Rool and Isaac get namedropped constantly, they have some really interesting abilities to draw from and they'd feel completely unique were they to be added. I have nothing against either of them (although my signature made that dead obvious >_>), and while there are characters I feel are over-relying on their bandwagons, this isn't the place for that discussion.

Sakurai said in an interview a little over a year ago that they look for characters they can do something interesting with first and foremost. I only hope he'll still do that for the Smash Ballot, because it could lead to some really good things. Hopefully we're part of that.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
So when will we find out what characters are chosen from the ballot?
I doubt they'll outright say which characters they're looking at. It's...probably not a very clear cut process, anyway. Odds are, we'll only find out about their choices as they get reveal trailers.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
With the ballot ending in just a few short hours. I've done my best to promote Delphox as much as I could to get some last minute supporters and votes. I think I've done a decent enough job with the amount of time that I have. All I can say at this point is that I hope it was worth it.

The Smash 4 cast really bores me at this point, and Delphox is one of those characters that would help me get back into the competitive scene again, as I really need characters I can bond with in order to find the passion to improve and master what they have to offer. I had it with Custom Mii Brawler, but they took that away from me. All I can hope for now is Delphox.

DragonSkator

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0662-4968-7646
Wow, how time goes quickly. Whatever happens, I've had fun doing this and supporting Delphox. Worst case scenario, there's no sign of Delphox at all which would really suck for us I know, but as long as we had fun doing all this I guess that's what counts right? :)

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Wow, how time goes quickly. Whatever happens, I've had fun doing this and supporting Delphox. Worst case scenario, there's no sign of Delphox at all which would really suck for us I know, but as long as we had fun doing all this I guess that's what counts right? :)
I spent more than a year trying to gain support for Delphox in Smash, way before the ballot even opened. It was really frustrating, spending more than a year in anticipation. I also struggled, bad.

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Seemed like the ballot lasted a little bit longer than just October 3rd. But now it's definitely over. No more voting for anyone.

Top Bottom