• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First monthly

Jelson

Smash Cadet
Going into my first monthly tournament tomorrow that will have fairly stacked competition from all over my state. The TO hosted the couple of nights before and here is what I've thought about keeping in mind since movement has now become muscle memory:

1. Always watch your opponent, but know your offensive and defensive options.
  2. Reverse pivot jab (keeping analog in the dead zone so Luigi just does a 180) is always better than reverse F smash.
  3. More short hop fast fall fireballs.
  4. More wavedash up tilt when opponent spams shffls
Any more advice?

Griffard

Smash Ace
I know you've already had the tournament, but it's never too late for advice! WD uptilt is good but some of your other advice for yourself confuses me. Watching the space in between you and your opponent is probably the best bet since you can more actively watch out for threats and openings. Jab is not always better than f-smash, in fact I think WD-ing through your opponent and putting a smash on the other side of their shield is a great option since you go flying away if they DO in fact shield. Fireballs are not terrific but it IS very nice that you can put them at any height in your fast fall. WD Up smash is pretty good, especially in matchups where the opponent jumps frequently with high priority moves. Falcon came to mind first.

I think just mixing up movement in general is one of the most important things- esp. with Luigi. Most characters have no problem at all swatting away the WD approaches, but plugging in a simple dash away amidst your approach can bait out a reaction and give you free openings pretty frequently. Utilizing the platforms in a non-intuitive way is generally successful, too.

How did your tourney go? Remember that it's only up from here-- I remember at my first tournaments I would always have severe jitters and shaky hands. Another personal note- I won my first singles events yesterday! I've been in grand finals, winners, losers finals of tourneys before but hadn't taken 1st in anything but doubles yet. We had a small turnout at a local across the lake and we did round robins, and I didn't lose a set :) Also won PM despite not playing that game :p Mario too good. I love it when people say they need to nerf melee Luigi because of me :D

Jelson

Smash Cadet
I know you've already had the tournament, but it's never too late for advice! WD uptilt is good but some of your other advice for yourself confuses me. Watching the space in between you and your opponent is probably the best bet since you can more actively watch out for threats and openings. Jab is not always better than f-smash, in fact I think WD-ing through your opponent and putting a smash on the other side of their shield is a great option since you go flying away if they DO in fact shield. Fireballs are not terrific but it IS very nice that you can put them at any height in your fast fall. WD Up smash is pretty good, especially in matchups where the opponent jumps frequently with high priority moves. Falcon came to mind first.

I think just mixing up movement in general is one of the most important things- esp. with Luigi. Most characters have no problem at all swatting away the WD approaches, but plugging in a simple dash away amidst your approach can bait out a reaction and give you free openings pretty frequently. Utilizing the platforms in a non-intuitive way is generally successful, too.

How did your tourney go? Remember that it's only up from here-- I remember at my first tournaments I would always have severe jitters and shaky hands. Another personal note- I won my first singles events yesterday! I've been in grand finals, winners, losers finals of tourneys before but hadn't taken 1st in anything but doubles yet. We had a small turnout at a local across the lake and we did round robins, and I didn't lose a set :) Also won PM despite not playing that game :p Mario too good. I love it when people say they need to nerf melee Luigi because of me :D
This is actually a lot of excellent advice. I wish I had it before going into tourney. I always see @Blea Gelo using random up smash on people who get hop happy, but forgot to use it until the very end against a Peach that liked to low float.

I won 2-0 my very first match against a good Fox to start off pools, and then from there I saw myself losing too many situations where if I had been more patient I could have kept going. The paces of matchups are really important.

Two games that weren't so close were when I played @Redd . Meeting him was cool, and playing him was humbling. He told me after the first match not to charge the Down B on respawn as it's a waste of invincibility, but I was honestly too scared to make myself vulnerable if I missed with it any time else :psycho:

Griffard

Smash Ace
This is actually a lot of excellent advice. I wish I had it before going into tourney. I always see @Blea Gelo using random up smash on people who get hop happy, but forgot to use it until the very end against a Peach that liked to low float.

I won 2-0 my very first match against a good Fox to start off pools, and then from there I saw myself losing too many situations where if I had been more patient I could have kept going. The paces of matchups are really important.

Two games that weren't so close were when I played @Redd . Meeting him was cool, and playing him was humbling. He told me after the first match not to charge the Down B on respawn as it's a waste of invincibility, but I was honestly too scared to make myself vulnerable if I missed with it any time else :psycho:
Redd is right I think. Something you may not know is that you keep your down b charge if you didn't use aerial down b before you died. So a lot of the time you'll come back with it charged anyway. You may as well use the down b in a combo, for example getting a knock down and using down b immediately to chase your opponent's tech and pop them up, continuing with up-tilt, downsmash, up air, nair, etc.

Sounds like you did pretty alright for your first tournament! Many people go 0-2 for months when they enter the competitive scene. If you have friends you practice with, take turns taking notes on each other's play and critiquing each other. Luigi doesn't get many openings at the high level of gameplay, so make sure your punishes are full and punishing >:) Above all, have fun. That's probably the reason you play Luigi in the first place. I love his crazy movement, huge combos, and massive swag potential. Everytime I channel those, I end up playing much 'better', as well. Go get em.

Top Bottom