• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Figuring out the turnip glitch

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
YESSSS

peach will become the best character in the game if we can figure out how to do this. Placing it on the ledge would create an unstopable ledgeguard.

This match was so much more exciting with the turnip. Completely changed the flow of gameplay

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Even thought the glitch was amazing unfortunately this glitch probably wouldn't do anything for her.

Eventually the turnip grab hitbox can become so large to the point where all the opponent has to do is just grab the turnip before up-bing.

Well... I guess if you throw it last second... maybe....

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
Even thought the glitch was amazing unfortunately this glitch probably wouldn't do anything for her.

Eventually the turnip grab hitbox can become so large to the point where all the opponent has to do is just grab the turnip before up-bing.

Well... I guess if you throw it last second... maybe....
A permanent stitchface is still a permanent stitchface. Just that raw power is pretty useful.

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJMBFRDMlNk

This video doesn't show the start of the glitch but shows the glitch after its in effect 0:24-0:40 he explains how it happened...... to sum it up according to him the link player did a rolling dodge as the turnip hit then the turnip glitched in place.

I found this interesting because Magus did a dodge roll as the turnip hit also so that deffinately is a likely cause of the glitch.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
It could be a factor, however Magus posted a video where he was jigglypuff and he did pound on the peach as she was about to throw the turnip. The pound hit Peach and the turnip.

The turnip fell out of peach's hands, dropped a little then just stood there.

I'm thinking that the turnip glitch can occur in different ways?

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
Yeah but i am betting the dodge roll is one of the likely many ways. Anyway I am doing some searching online and i found these quotes on a website. I am not going to try any of these ways cause I dont have a smash partner right now to be of assistance.

"Floating turnip
sent in by ryuken

Choose fox vs peach on final destination. have Fox hit Peach as she pulls a turnip from the ground. If your timing is right, the turnip will be floating in midair! Press A on ground or Z in air to grab it. When thrown, it only moves a few inches and stays airborne....forever! Try it!"

"Peach's floating vegetable
sent in by MarthRules

I was playing Peach and and a freind who was Sheik at that huge zelda stage... Anyways he kept using Sheik's whip to hit my vegetables away from him and one bounced up into the air and got stuck. Whenever I or him not near us it would injure us but it wouldn't move. Just a similiar glitch to your peach and fox one.."

Source webpage: http://davidwonn.kontek.net/gamecube.html

So interruptions at precise times is probablly another major reason finding those times is a different story. Someone with Action Replay might be able to help more than me lol.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Sounds plausible.

I'm wondering why rolling would cause it to stay there. Because the turnip would think it hit a target but it really never did?

Confusing >_>. Anyway I don't have a melee disk in my dorm room but when I get home I'll have to try to recreate it by rolling.

Roll dodging seems like the most efficient way to do it.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
In the video with the stitchface if you look closely I don't start the roll until after it's already thrown and frozen.
Its difficult to determine when you started the roll.

To me it seems like you rolled when Ryoko was in the motion of throwing the turnip.

ldsfkldsalfslfk

Its too hard to determine for me. T_T

Magus420

Smash Master

Pretty sure it's released while I'm standing still, then I'm shielding the frame after it's released and is already not moving (you can't instantly roll without having your shield already up, the shield needs to come up first), then when the roll actually starts it's already been not moving for at least 1 frame.

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
I don't know how relevant this is but whenever the glitch occurs the turnip is always vertically up and down when it freezes and u guys probablly realize that when a turnip hits close up it doesnt go into the spin animation it stays vertically up and down. Also when you throw a turnip there are only certain times during the animation that it is vertically up and down but the turnip spins fast so its only like that for a split second each time it is like that. For instance like in the slow mo clip of the glitch posted by Magus when peach releases the turnip from her hand that is the first time in the spin animation of the turnip that the turnip is vertically up and down.

The best way to figure this out is to find out at which points during the animation the turnip is vertical then from there figuring out what interrupts the animation of course at those precise points. I beleive there are only two points in the animation(without the turnip hitting anyone and thrown from ground level) that the turnip is vertical one being right after peach throws it(the same point in the animation in the above clip) then right before it hits the ground. Also when the turnip hits someone close up of course.

Also whenever the already glitched turnip is thrown it stops at that same point of animation that caused it to glitch in the first place. Know what i mean?

JFox

Smash Hero
I disagree. First figure it out, then worry about applications. If you dont understand how to recreate it, its impossible to say how you will apply it. If its something too precise, the application will be impossible. If its not hard, but takes some cooperation between players, perhaps its has teams applications only.

Until we understand it, we can't really discuss applications.

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
Thats hard to say because once its figured out which hopefully it will be soon, it will probablly be pretty complicated and require perfect timing/perfect mindgames to glitch it in an actual match. Then from there it is free game unless the peach player makes sure to instantly retrieve it after it is thrown.

I'm guessing you could use a glitched stitchface for shield pressure/shield breaking purposes cause the stichface will break a shield after about 3 hits. Then messing up sweetspotters by proper placement off the edge. Or controlling where u want ur opponent to recover at because of certain turnip placement assuming that the turnip hasnt been used to much which would allow it to be grabbed from anywhere. Then maybe dash turnip through repickup dash throw repickup dash throw etc. lol, I have no idea if that last thing would work. You would really have to mind game alot so the opponent doesnt get the turnip and use it to their advantage.

Anyway we do need to figure the glitch out in order to get a better feel for the glitches full potential.

Edit: I didn't realize anyonw replied right after The Irish Mafia did. So I just contradicted the other statements kind of lol

Cia

das kwl
i can already tell that i'm going to be the one to conquer this thing :laugh:

putting stitch in the way of the ledge has to be the cheapest thing EVER

i <3 it

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
I heard that this glitch has only been known to occur on NTCS Version 1.0. OR whatever I might have put wrong letters there b ut you know what version I mean. So anyone know if this is true or has it been known to happened on other versions too?

Shakugan

Smash Journeyman
if its a glitch wont they ban it in tourney though? like the climbers freeze glitch. but i can understand the drive on trying to figure it out.

Shakugan, maybe im a lion

JFox

Smash Hero
They would only ban it if its too good that it breaks the gameplay. Personally, I see no problem with leaving this in. Ness' yo-yo glitch isn't banned, Samus' extendurr isn't banned. Samus' super wavedash isn't banned, etc.

Cia

das kwl
actually.. i can easily see this being ban. say we do figure this out and I could this on call. The stage would be COVERED in glitched turnips. My opponent would be walled in every where.

it would be deemed game breaking :laugh:

and no smartass (teco) it was wouldn't necessarily be stitch.

oh and i also thought of it being specific to only one version =/

Samochan

Smash Master
actually.. i can easily see this being ban. say we do figure this out and I could this on call. The stage would be COVERED in glitched turnips. My opponent would be walled in every where.

Pfff, ness yo-yo glitch and samus extendor are ten times easier to do than this and don't even need opponent cooperation. In all cases you need to get hit and actually need to have the stitch, people don't even get stitches on every matches and this has thus far happened like, once in a billion match maybe? Stage could hardly be covered in glitched turnips, much less one. >_> I don't see it getting a ban, it doesn't break the game as in making your opponent unmobile and can be real easily be used against you as well, unlike those of yo-yo and extendor glitches and way too hard and uncertain to do to gain any advantage in matches.

Cia

das kwl
Pfff, ness yo-yo glitch and samus extendor are ten times easier to do than this and don't even need opponent cooperation. In all cases you need to get hit and actually need to have the stitch, people don't even get stitches on every matches and this has thus far happened like, once in a billion match maybe? Stage could hardly be covered in glitched turnips, much less one. >_> I don't see it getting a ban, it doesn't break the game as in making your opponent unmobile and can be real easily be used against you as well, unlike those of yo-yo and extendor glitches and way too hard and uncertain to do to gain any advantage in matches.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S52T7t3SUEI - NOT STITCH

and how do we know this glitch requires opponent cooperation. who said that? the only other time ive seen this is in HBK's video and his doesn't show how the glitch starts. There's a lot of testing that needs to be done.

- do you have to input something during X frames?
- does it work in X version of Melee?
- does your opponent have to do anything?
- does it have anything to do with the number of turnips you've pulled?

etc. there are too many variables and while it was a cool video to watch, i highly doubt anyone is going to figure out anything from it. What if the glitch is just random? it happens on a whim, or when there's a small lapse in the loading time.

anyway, this isn't fun anymore, GL trying to find answers.

::leaves::

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
Also if u mess it up in team battles you will prolly K.O. ur partner in that situation if it were a stitch face.

I don't have any frame data but I really believe it pretty much always happens around the point peach is releasing it from her hand because thats the first frame the turnip is vertical like that and whenever it is thrown when its already glitched it stops at the same frame. There has got to be a connection there....

Also maybe when the turnip was thrown at Magus he put in the roll commands and due to roll starting lag it didnt appear to have started but the game already read his commands before the action went throw thus confusing the game causing the turnip to glitch since the game didnt know if it hit or not?

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
How often you'd have a situation where you've killed both opponents at the same time and then have a good turnip at hand, preferably stitchface and then succesfully perform this trick when you might have only one shot at it? <_< Not really often.
Seeing as how there isn't a clear answer for this glitch is triggered, it might very well have nothing to do with hitting someone else with the turnip, apart from the glitch that increases the grab range.

Even if it is a requirement, obviously you wouldn't use the stitchface on your teammate, but a different turnip. Until someone finds out how to reproduce it, we have no idea how difficult or easy it is to pull off, so saying that the chances of performing it are small is merely speculation.

Even if it does require frameperfect precision, there will be people looking to exploit it just for laughs or showing off, like Samus' super wavedash.

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
How often you'd have a situation where you've killed both opponents at the same time and then have a good turnip at hand, preferably stitchface and then succesfully perform this trick when you might have only one shot at it? <_< Not really often.
:embarrass

who said any of that was necessary? you're like the expert of this glitch that nobody else understands.... also plenty of miscellaneous team work happens in doubles with both opponents or 1 alive as long as your not blatant about it. e.g. samus charging up next to a ness down b.

personally I think even if it gets figured out it would be be too late in the game as nobody would care to ban it. second the opponent can **** with it just as hard and it serves no use to peach after the first couple regrabs, and its only purpose would be to edge guard... like a flipper or something but smaller. :laugh: after you grab it like 7 or 8 times i would float off stage and drop it so it is out of the game.

The Phenom

Smash Lord
hmmmm. my input:

First off to let people know why I think my proposal has some potential of it being helpful to research.

In brawl, if you have any item, you can get a boost of it. The way it works is by shielding then rolling and throwing the item instantly after the roll.

Now before I even thought about reading or watching the video this is what I thought it would deal with. The shield; Peach is shielding thus some validity of my proposal since it deals with the shield.

Well that's my input. Just trying to help of course; this would be great for you guys to use in tournies if figured out. I would approve of it's use in tournies. It's not stopping the other player from doing something so I don't see what's so wrong about it not being used.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
What I want to know is if it requires a phantom hit to produce or whatever Magus was talking about.

If thats the case, its pretty impossible to make use of the glitch.

Top Bottom