• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Feb 28, 2015] Smash T'ill You Crash 5 (STYC V) at Polybash XIV (Montreal, Quebec)

PiKaLeX

Smash Journeyman

"Super Smash Bros - Montreal" is the official Melee facebook group in Quebec
"Super Smash Bros PM - Montreal" is the official PM facebook group in Quebec
"Super Smash Bros 4 - Montreal" is the official Smash 4 facebook group in Quebec
"Super Smash Bros 64 - Montreal" is the official Smash 64 facebook group in Quebec

Poly Bash XIV is a tournament with 3 different games: Smash Series, Pokemon & LoL.

STYC V will be a little different than usual. Melee and PM will be an Arcadian Tournament. All others tourney are as usual and there will be Smash 4!

Arcadian Tourney:

The idea of arcadian tournaments first originated in California. In these types of tournaments, certain players of high skill level are banned from entering and the spotlight is given to newer players so that they are given a chance to get acquainted with tournament pressure in the later parts of a bracket.

It is important to know that Arcadian tournaments are a learning experience before being an intense competition and the stronger players are thus encouraged to share their knowledge with the beginners to help improve the community as a whole, this includes banned players who are encouraged to attend and play friendlies with the weaker players. Weaker players are themselves encouraged to ask the stronger players for advice and friendlies. Don't be scared, this is a learning environment!

For power ranked players attending the tournament, while you are not banned from entering this tournament, it is still expected of you to spend a good chunk of your time playing friendlies with the weaker attendees and that you give helpful advice throughout the tournament, especially during the pools phase!

Cons:
  • MTL PR Top 5 are excluded from Melee and PM Singles Tourney.
  • MTL PR Top 5 have to choose a teammate that is not Top 5 in Melee and PM Doubles Tourney.
Pros:
  • MTL PR Top 5 got free entrance (No Venue Fee).
  • MTL PR Top 10 + Ottawa Top 2 can participate into a Big Round Robin freely and win a prize (TBD)
  • MTL PR Top 5 are elligible to win a free LanETS pass by beeing present at STYC V (35$ value)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tourney Host: PiKaLeX, Rice, Kyle and Prower

2900 boul. Edouard-Montpetit
Montreal, H3T 1J4
Salle La Rotonde

(There will be some direction in the school to help you)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You don't have to Pre-reg on Polybash website. It's only at the door on Feb 28th.
Please confirm your attendancy on this thread and facebook page to get more people!

Entry Fees:
Venue: 10$ (except for Pokemon ORAS its 5$ if you come only on Sunday)
+
Event Fees:
Super Smash Bros 64 Singles : 10$
Super Smash Bros 64 Doubles : 10$ per team (5$ per player)

Super Smash Bros Melee Singles (Arcadian) : 5$
Super Smash Bros Melee Doubles (Arcadian): 10$ per team (5$ per player)

Project M Singles (Arcadian) : 5$
Project M Doubles (Arcadian) : 10$ per team (5$ per player)

Super Smash Bros 4 Singles : 10$
Super Smash Bros 4 Doubles : 10$ per team (5$ per player)

Pokemon ORAS : 10$

Possible Side events :
  • Inter-Universities CrewBattle tourney (UdeM-Poly, McGill, Uottawa, ETS, Concordia)
  • Ottawa vs Quebec CrewBattle
  • Smash 4 Amiiboo tourney (fundraiser for the community (Smashloft))
Prize Payouts: (Depends of the attendancy)

Less than 32 players (16 teams)
1st place: 60%
2nd place: 30%
3rd place: 10%

More than 32 players (16 teams)
1st place: 50%
2nd place: 25%
3rd place: 12.5%
4-5th place: 6.25%

DQ RULE!!!
Your match is called
5 minutes later -> 1st Warning
10 minutes later -> 2nd Warning
15 minutes later -> DQ

*** If you want to go outside for any reason (smoke, eat, take fresh air, ...) you MUST ask your game’s TO if you have a game to play first. You might be DQed if your game is called. NO JOHNS!!!

Attempting Schedule:
Super Smash Bros. 64 : Saturday Evening
Super Smash Bros Melee : Both Days
Project M : Both Days
Super Smash Bros 4 : Both Days
Pokemon ORAS : Sunday

We have the venue from 10 AM(Saturday) to 9 PM (Sunday) including night

SETUPS
10$ Discount for those who help the TOs with:
Bringing all the TVs from the Smashloft to the venue
Room setup
5$ Discount for those who bring a complete setup (Any console + a TV)

TVs : we need at least 50 of them

- SmashLoft x 30
- Polytechnique x7
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Melee Setup : we need at least 20 of them

- SmashLoft x 5
- Polytechnique x1
- PiKaLeX
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

PM Setup : we need at least 20 of them

- SmashLoft x 4
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Smash 4 Setup : we need at least 20 of them

- SmashLoft x 4
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

64 Setup : we need at least 5 of them
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Informations:

!!!! DRUGS ARE TOTALLY FORBIDEN !!!!!
You can sleep at the venue, but there are no beds.
There will be drinks and food for sale at the venue.
There will be also group sales for st-hubert and pizza organized by the venue.
There’s a restaurant nearby: Restaurant le Percé 9, av Vincent-d'Indy, Outremont, QC H2V 4N7 (google it)

The best way to get to the venue is by Metro:
Station Université de Montreal

CAR:
Google the address

There’s a parking lot ($$$)

Every Smash Games and Pokemon Ruleset are Apex Ruleset

Melee Single Interest List:

1. PiKaLeX
2. Rice
3. Kyle

Smash 4 Single Interest List:

64 Single Interest List:

1. Frechette

Project M Single Interest List:

Pokemon ORAS Single Interest List:

Last edited:

MTL Kyle

Smash Journeyman
Pikalex forgot to put this is an Arcadian, tsktsk

TL;DR

- Melee and PM will be an Arcadian tournament.

Melee banlist : Top5 of our PR (Vwins, BAM, Kage, PKM and Chester01) + Diakonos are banned, top 4 (WeonX, KK, IB and RaynEX) of Ontario's PR + 522 are banned. The rest is allowed.
Project M banlist : Bidoof, Ally, Holy, Vwins and WeonX.

- Melee/PM Doubles will allow top 5 players to enter, but they are not allowed to team with each other. This means if they wanna participate, they will have to team with lower ranked players.

- There will be a RR for the PRd players. We are giving free LanETS tickets as a bonus + a raffle for another one. The venue fee of this tournament is free for the #1~5 as well

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Smash 4 will not be an arcadian, bring it on! We will have an exclusive stream for this game to ensure all the hype footage is kept!

- Smash 64 will not be an arcadian and we will try to make this tournament this biggest 64 tournament in Canada so far :D

Last edited:

MTL Kyle

Smash Journeyman
I might be interested in putting some money as pot prize for 64.
But I would need the contacts of MD/VA 64 peeps. I've heard they like travelling to 64 tournaments.

tarextherex

Smash Apprentice
smash4

both days though? putting pm sunday like last year should work well enough

Last edited:

ERayz

Smash Journeyman
Me and SSF are going for Melee singles and doubles! Patate Labelle power!

I'll try to get as many friendlies as I can, for two reasons:

1- Helping newer players finding their flaws and how to improve. (I'm not a very good coach, but I'm trying)
2- So I can stay warmed-up between my sets. :p

Last edited:

steakhouse

Smash Apprentice
Your PM banlist's inclusion of bidooof but not morks is odd

I'll bring a setup for sure ; I might bring two as well as 2 big TVs. Entering PM singles and doubles with What!

smash4

both days though? putting pm sunday like last year should work well enough
pls no let me have my 2 days of PM

Last edited:

Max P

Smash Rookie
Hey boys, I can bring a N64 w/ a smash cartridge and 2 controllers

MTL Kyle

Smash Journeyman
Your PM banlist's inclusion of bidooof but not morks is odd
The way the bans worked was : if we ban top x, is there a clear favorite to the 1st place ?
We made scenarios with every group. For Melee, we had a PR, so every ban made more sense and then, we decided to ban top 5, since even with people like Waz or Cemo being the favorites, they have a really stacked bracket to go through.

For PM it was harder because :
1 - I tried 3 times forming a panel for PR and I had discussions with people of why a PR was necessary or johns about the transition of 3.02 to 3.5.
2 - The game has high variance and the way you structure the bracket makes a huge difference.
3 - We couldn't ban a bigger list because there is no way to evaluate who would be deemed worthy of a ban.
4 - MorKs hasn't been playing and the last time he came to a weekly he got 4th or 5th, which is not bad, but is definitely not up to par with his old results. Also, he is apparently taking a break of vidya, so he might not even show up. Banning him would be a blind shot and I rather not do it.

pls no let me have my 2 days of PM
Every game ideally should have 2 days (64 is too small so we can probably squeeze into one day, but that's not optimal or cool to 64 peeps cuz they r awsm)

Hey boys, I can bring a N64 w/ a smash cartridge and 2 controllers
Do it :D

Top Bottom