• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic South Quality Smashing (Jasper Alabama)

Quality Smashing (Jasper Alabama)
Posted by Series Gaming
Quality Collectibles, Jasper Alabama
Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 02:00 PM
Until: Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 04:30 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: America/Chicago)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: America/Chicago

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Series Gaming

Smash Cadet
Hello, I am going to be hosting a Smash 4 tournament at the local gaming store Quality Collectibles in Jasper, Alabama. February 13, 2016 at 2 PM to 4 PM

There are fast food restaurants within 5 minutes in each cardinal direction of the location. (Taco Bell, Lee's, Papa John's, Pepitos, Guthries, ect.

www.qcgaming.net (The stores website for adress)

Entry price will be $10 for a double elimination singles tournament 2 Stocks 2-3 matches wins (3-5 for Semi and Grand Finals)

Rules: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dFQTODFeI-6XA7fqocHSDuilNWpi4a5zWyU7SmwU71A/edit?usp=sharing
Edit Event Description
541 Highway 78 W
Jasper, AL 35501

smbmaster99MFGG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
smbmaster99
This actually isn't too terribly far from me. I'm definitely interested but idk if I got anything going on that day so just put me down as "interested" =P

Tr4n

Smash Cadet
The address listed above will take you to a Super 8. Continue Hwy 78 East. The store is across from a KFC in the plaza. I'll be back again with my brother and hopefully a few others.

Series Gaming

Smash Cadet
The address listed above will take you to a Super 8. Continue Hwy 78 East. The store is across from a KFC in the plaza. I'll be back again with my brother and hopefully a few others.
Thanks for the direction update, I checked the stores adress and it still said 541 Highway 78 W, so I didn't know what adjustments to make to it.

Series Gaming

Smash Cadet
No, the store is new to hosting Smash tournaments, this will actually be the second one. We most likely won't have anything of that sort set up for another few tourneys, however the only reason we aren't streaming the tournaments right now is lack of gear. I personally do not know the costs in equipment for streaming, or how long it would take to set up something like that. If it ends up being easier than I think it could be something happening as soon as next tourney.

Tr4n

Smash Cadet
I have the bare minimum equipment needed to stream this kind of event.
What I have:
Elgato HD 60 Capture Card
A computer more than fast enough to stream
What I do not have:
webcams
microphones
knowledge on how to customize the stream
If you want I could show up early and set it up, but the stream would be very basic. It is up to you.

Series Gaming

Smash Cadet
I have the bare minimum equipment needed to stream this kind of event.
What I have:
Elgato HD 60 Capture Card
A computer more than fast enough to stream
What I do not have:
webcams
microphones
knowledge on how to customize the stream
If you want I could show up early and set it up, but the stream would be very basic. It is up to you.
If streaming is something people want to do, I and the storeowners are completely fine with it (I personally love the idea). So if you know how to set up what you have, and are willing to come early that would be fine. I could look into customizing a stream, or see if anybody I know can help. The only thing I can't help with is the webcams and microphones (unless there is an off chance the store has something like that). What would we use to stream with, I assume twitch but I have never really been big on the scene of live gaming.

Last edited:

Pudding009

Smash Cadet
NNID
pudding009
ill try and see if i can attend this one can't let tran have another 1st place :D also i can check around my house for some mics but no promises.

Series Gaming

Smash Cadet
Hey in case anybody is curious the new DLC characters are going to be legal for this tournament considering their releaase is so close to the two week pre-requisite.

Tr4n

Smash Cadet
My friends and I want to know if we can some doubles at this tournament?

Wundermittens

UAB Smash Club VP
NNID
Panionator
I (wundrmttns) won't be there this weekend since I'll be on vacation. But Tran and I would sweep doubles if I was going. #shotsfired

100AngryTurtles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AngryTurtles
Also I hate to make more requests, but could you consider altering the stage list? Having three neutral stages is a cool idea to try out and seems fine. I just find it very odd that Halberd and Delfino are legal, but Dreamland, Duck Hunt and Umbra Clock Tower are not. A majority of tournaments don't use Halberd or Delfino anymore and instead use Duck Hunt and Lylat as the only counterpicks. It is your tournament so it is your rules, but I would highly consider adding Dreamland and Duck Hunt to the stage list. Dreamland at least should be considered because it is a standard stage in every tournament.

Last edited:

Wundermittens

UAB Smash Club VP
NNID
Panionator
I like the idea of Umbra Clocktower! It is a pretty basic stage with platforms going in and our much like Town and City.

smbmaster99MFGG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
smbmaster99
The only issue I foresee with Umbra Clock Tower is how the camera zooms in and out a little during transitions and with everything that's going on in the background it can make it a little difficult to accurately see what is happening on the screen aside from a bunch of visual effects. That and also some of the platforms that zoom into play are also solid on the bottom so if you get knocked at say a 45 degree angle off stage it could almost be like pilot wings when you pass certain areas of the stage and you get unexpectedly spiked, only difference being here you can actually tech.

But I've never made a stage list before or organized a tourney so what do I know :y

Tr4n

Smash Cadet
I am at it again...
I stole another controller. This time it was a normal gamecube controller from the old days. Not one with a smash orb. Please help me with my addiction and find the owner of the controller.

100AngryTurtles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AngryTurtles
Anyone know if there was a results page posted or know the link to the Challonge bracket? I feel like I need to add this tournament to my PR spreadsheet because of the quality of players there, despite the low number of entrants.

WackySpinachAgate

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ExclusiveAgate
I've looked around but haven't found it yet
Anyone know if there was a results page posted or know the link to the Challonge bracket? I feel like I need to add this tournament to my PR spreadsheet because of the quality of players there, despite the low number of entrants.

EDIT: Found it http://challonge.com/qualitysmash

Last edited:

smbmaster99MFGG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
smbmaster99
Never give up though, keep trying and you'll get there =P

Also i still don't understand why they used my actual name instead of my tag lol

Series Gaming

Smash Cadet
That most likely happened because the store owners had to run it because I, and my replacement could not be there. Though the next one on March 12 (Already Posted) will be much more organized, because both me and my backup will be there, and the store owners know how to run Smash 4 tournaments now. So I am sorry if there were any hitches, but that was the worst case scenario and I heard it was still very successful thanks to a few players who helped run it (Huge thanks to them).

On another note the rules have been changed to accommodate doubles, and some changes to the map selections for singles. As always thanks for coming, and please bear with us as we try to get these tournaments streamlined, I really want this to pick up because of the limited amount of tournaments around here.

Finally I would like to take suggestions for what we should do with the tournaments, any recommendations or ideas. I really liked the changes to the maps you guys said, and want more feedback. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

100AngryTurtles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AngryTurtles
Hey! I am the guy that basically ran the tournament in your absence. I might sound harsh here, but I am just going to give my ideas to improve your tournament.

- You should try to use a more standard stage list. Such as: Smashville, Town and City, FD, Battlefield, and Lylat as neutrals, with Dreamland/Duck hunt as counterpicks. The players were already used to Halberd, Castle Siege, and Delfino being banned and thus they pretty much ignored the stages. Most players just used the stage list I suggested, assuming it was the correct one.

- Have your stagelist and ban process printed out so that people at the venue can see what is and is not legal. Every tournament is different and many players had no idea what was and was not legal. Some people thought there were two stage bans while others thought that there was only one stage ban.

- Be more transparent on Smashboards and be good about responding to questions in the tournament thread. When several players ask for doubles to be an event or ask about clarification on a rule, they need to know the answer a few days before the tournament minimum. As a huge fan of doubles it was frustrating not knowing if there would be doubles or not and having to convince the "TO" that we should have doubles.

- Detail everything about the tournament in the tournament thread. You never said if there was an additional venue fee, if the store took part of the entry fee, what the payout went to (60,30,10), etc. It is fine that you charged $10 for a singles tournament, but it lacked a venue fee. Usually it costs $5 to enter the tournament and then there is a $5 venue fee. Some players were upset that they were not told beforehand that the store was taking a 20% cut of the total pot. Also the doubles tournament that I set up on the spot ended up being a winner take all event. That is also fine due to the low number of entrants, but again it just lacked transparency.

- Tell the players if there is going to be a delay or what is happening. The tournament started late because no one knew what was going on and upon asking when the tournament would start I was told that he did not know. It is frustrating to players when there is no real person running the tournament. I arrived an hour before the tournament started with two setups ready to go. I was told that we did not need anymore setups because we already had 4. More setups is always a better thing. Even if it will not be used for the tournament, players that are out early can go play friendlies. I also asked the person who was the "TO" of the event when it was starting, when to signup, what the bracket link was, etc and he had no answers for me. I would've been glad to help out with the tournament more than I already did, but I need to be able to. I shouldn't have to continually ask the "TO" to let me help before he finally cracks. I know that this could've been avoided if you were there, but it is still advice nonetheless.

- Show up to the tournament. I understand if there are issues that come up last minute, but you can tell the players that. Ask for help running it or inform the people that are supposed to run it in your place how to run a tournament. If you asked for help running the tournament on Smashboards then I would've been glad to lend a hand and I am sure that other players would've done the same.

I apologize if I sound too harsh in my constructive criticism. Good luck in the future with your tournaments and I hope everything goes smoothly.

Series Gaming

Smash Cadet
Hey! I am the guy that basically ran the tournament in your absence. I might sound harsh here, but I am just going to give my ideas to improve your tournament.

- You should try to use a more standard stage list. Such as: Smashville, Town and City, FD, Battlefield, and Lylat as neutrals, with Dreamland/Duck hunt as counterpicks. The players were already used to Halberd, Castle Siege, and Delfino being banned and thus they pretty much ignored the stages. Most players just used the stage list I suggested, assuming it was the correct one.

- Have your stagelist and ban process printed out so that people at the venue can see what is and is not legal. Every tournament is different and many players had no idea what was and was not legal. Some people thought there were two stage bans while others thought that there was only one stage ban.

- Be more transparent on Smashboards and be good about responding to questions in the tournament thread. When several players ask for doubles to be an event or ask about clarification on a rule, they need to know the answer a few days before the tournament minimum. As a huge fan of doubles it was frustrating not knowing if there would be doubles or not and having to convince the "TO" that we should have doubles.

- Detail everything about the tournament in the tournament thread. You never said if there was an additional venue fee, if the store took part of the entry fee, what the payout went to (60,30,10), etc. It is fine that you charged $10 for a singles tournament, but it lacked a venue fee. Usually it costs $5 to enter the tournament and then there is a $5 venue fee. Some players were upset that they were not told beforehand that the store was taking a 20% cut of the total pot. Also the doubles tournament that I set up on the spot ended up being a winner take all event. That is also fine due to the low number of entrants, but again it just lacked transparency.

- Tell the players if there is going to be a delay or what is happening. The tournament started late because no one knew what was going on and upon asking when the tournament would start I was told that he did not know. It is frustrating to players when there is no real person running the tournament. I arrived an hour before the tournament started with two setups ready to go. I was told that we did not need anymore setups because we already had 4. More setups is always a better thing. Even if it will not be used for the tournament, players that are out early can go play friendlies. I also asked the person who was the "TO" of the event when it was starting, when to signup, what the bracket link was, etc and he had no answers for me. I would've been glad to help out with the tournament more than I already did, but I need to be able to. I shouldn't have to continually ask the "TO" to let me help before he finally cracks. I know that this could've been avoided if you were there, but it is still advice nonetheless.

- Show up to the tournament. I understand if there are issues that come up last minute, but you can tell the players that. Ask for help running it or inform the people that are supposed to run it in your place how to run a tournament. If you asked for help running the tournament on Smashboards then I would've been glad to lend a hand and I am sure that other players would've done the same.

I apologize if I sound too harsh in my constructive criticism. Good luck in the future with your tournaments and I hope everything goes smoothly.

Top Bottom