• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic North [Sep 2, 2015] Hall Of Gaming: Project M and Sm4sh Biweeklies. (Wallingford, CT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Hey everyone, so it turns out trying to run these games separately didn't get the response I expected, so I'm going to try to centralize it with one single biweekly.

Please note, despite me saying that it's a biweekly, it's going to be running both this week (Jan 7th) and next week (Jan 14th) so as to not compete with Melee's thursday biweeklies, but appeal to a few groups who request that I begin tournaments this year. After that, it will be alternating like I originally intended.

Schedule:
6:00 PM Venue Opens
7:00 PM Project M Bracket Begins
7:00 PM Sm4sh Bracket Begins

Costs:
Venue 5$
PM Bracket 5$
Sm4sh Bracket 5$

You can save a dollar on venue by bringing a setup for either game. The venue has plenty of TVs however, so please don't worry about that. We need a lot of consoles, and the game however so please help out!

Food:
In the same lot as Hall of Gaming is a subway within walking distance. We actually have a deal with Subway to give Smashers a small deal off. Talk to the venue owner to get details.

Split:
We're going to be doing a different split depending on entrants per each game.

Below 30:
60%/30%/10%

Above 30:
55%/30%/10%/5%

We'll be running the standard Apex Ruleset. 4 stocks, 8 minutes.

Starters:
Green Hill
Stadium 2
Smashville
Battlefield
Dreamland

Counterpicks:
Final Destination
Distant Planet
Norfair
Lylat Cruise
Wario Ware

There is a 1-2-1 stage striking with two bans per game.

We'll be running a two stock, six minute format.

Starters:
Omega Palutena's Temple
Battlefield
Smashville
Town and City
Lylat Cruise

Counterpicks:
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Jungle Japes
Duck Hunt
Halberd

1-2-1 Stage Strikes, 2 Bans per game.

Stream:
Smash For Wii U is a work in progress, as we lack the ability to capture it on an HDTV (lack supplies), but we're streaming PM at the moment and it's doing great. We are looking for consistent commentators, so if you're interested go for it!

http://www.twitch.tv/ctstockexchange

Bracket
I'll be uploading brackets to Smashboards so people can claim points. I realize that despite it not mattering to quite a few of us, there are people who would like it and I'll be consistently doing it for both games.

Controllers
This seemed to be a surprising topic last time, by quite a few people. Plenty of people brought the new Gamecube controllers that function like a classic controller add-on. That's fine, but please remember to bring EVERYTHING necessary to make it function. If you need a Wiimote to play Sm4sh, please bring the Wiimote.

Last edited:

Dissent

Bananaman Formerly Known As Sails
NNID
dotDissent
Always have mad fun here and glad to see so many people interested in getting better. I encourage everyone to not be shy and ask for friendlies in the future, whenever. I'll likely say yes and try to offer on the fly advice =)

MLGF

Smash Lord

BlueLaguna88

Smash Rookie
Hi there I'm Andy and I'll be there!
I'm new to the Smash Community! Really hyped for the Smash 4 community! I have a handful of friends that I'm gonna try and get going to these bi-weeklys!

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
Hi there I'm Andy and I'll be there!
I'm new to the Smash Community! Really hyped for the Smash 4 community! I have a handful of friends that I'm gonna try and get going to these bi-weeklys!
Word, nice to meet you. I look forward to seeing you some time! We need more Villagers :)

PlainSimpleGarak

Smash Cadet
Probably going to come on Wednesday, how many people are you expecting? Also, I can bring a gamecube adapter if you need one.

MLGF

Smash Lord
We'll probably be fine on Wii U adaptors, last week we had 19 for PM and 17 for Sm4sh IIRC. So it's a pretty decent turnout considering that was the first one.

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
Just a reminder, for anyone who showed up last week, we are running again this week due to schedule conflicts before we go to a proper biweekly format. I know it says that in the opening post, but considering how wonky this is, you gotta play it safe.

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
So it seems the roads will be good enough tomorrow for the venue to be open.

In other news, I'm making some minor changes to the biweekly. PM and Sm4sh will be ran at the same time, and bringing a setup cuts a dollar off venue.

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
I've noticed a lot of players are interested in getting matches in with me and have a lot of questions, so I've come up with a solution to make sure people get their turn as well as guaranteed time to play.

Introducing Dissent Incentive;
All players that enter Smash 4 at Hall of Gaming (when I'm there, of course) get a guaranteed 3 friendlies with me. If you want critique I will certainly provide it but you must be okay with it being on the fly, I won't remember many things by the end of the match. I plan on going tonight, so if you want a guaranteed round of games with me, enter, let me know that you want to play at some point and we'll make time when there are setups available.

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
WHAT IS CONNECTICUTS MALFUNCTION?!

If I can come down here from MA, you can come down here from here >8(

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Yeah! When's the next one? :)

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Wednesday, right?

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Are the biweekly Sm4sh tourneys going to be on Wednesdays from now on?

MLGF

Smash Lord
Never stopped being on wednesdays, gonna keep going until there's a problem.

megamansam

Smash Rookie
Hi guys, totally new to the area and this site. I've played some Smash in my day though.

Couple questions - do I need to sign up anywhere? Or just show up with cash and a controller? Do people do friendlies? Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere.

Another thought - When/where are the Melee weeklies that were mentioned?

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
Hey, happy to help ya.
Sign up is there, just show up with the cash for venue, the tournaments you wanna play, and the controller. We usually have enough setups for friendlies after a while, but tournament matches take priority.

The Melee weeklies are at the same place on thursday and we alternate the weeks. The weather last week stopped them from running it, so we're running both this week.

Last edited:

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I had an absolute blast last night!!

Sorry I had to duck out after I lost, I have work early in the mornings! I aim to come to these once a month, and I will be crazy looking forward to each one!

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
I had an absolute blast last night!!

Sorry I had to duck out after I lost, I have work early in the mornings! I aim to come to these once a month, and I will be crazy looking forward to each one!
Good stuff last night Enker, I was definitely surprised when you took that set off me! It's not often people succeed in gimping me twice in one set.

Also, really good games to JoeST. After having reset the bracket and getting to the last game of grand finals, he finished me off with the Little Mac falling NAir chain off stage after I wall clung. I have yet to see a Mac be ballsy enough to go for it AND time it right, so it was definitely hype.

We had a REALLY good turnout last night and I've already seen a lot of players improving, so I hope everyone and more continues to come to these :)

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I missed it! Ugh! That sounds awesome.

Is there a link to last night's brackets?

PlainSimpleGarak

Smash Cadet
I have some suggestions, which are you should remove Kongo Jungle/Jungle Japes from the counterpick list, and replace Delfino Plaza with Halberd. Nobody likes those stages, but everyone agrees that Halberd is a good stage. It is a legal counterpick in Brawl, also.

You should also make it more clear how many bans and strikes there are. Most people there are doing 1-2-2-1 strikes and 2 bans, when the post says 1-2-1 and 1 ban. Other than that, the 2 times I've been here are awesome! I'll definitely be coming regularly.

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
I know a lot of players that enjoy Delfino including myself, but the stagelist and rules definitely need a real revising.

MLGF

Smash Lord
I love delfino myself and think jungle japes is needed as a diddy counter for now. I'll be looking at some other events to find stagelists and update it.

1 stage ban is fine, and I didn't know there was an issue with people not knowing that, I'll be sure to make that more apparent for next time.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Yeah that would help! I'm new to the tourney scene and didn't know the difference between a ban and a strike. *Runs to Google to look it up riiiight now* :p

Edit: When does one make a ban? Is it before or after the strikes are made? Also, who makes the ban?

Last edited:

PlainSimpleGarak

Smash Cadet
Yeah, every game I played had people doing 2 bans and 1-2-2-1 stage striking. As for Delfino, it's just a really janky stage in my opinion. Unlike Halberd, there's no time to rest in between transitions, it keeps going from place to place, often with walk offs or some other gimmicks. The section with the 4 platforms raised above the water is the worst offender.

I can understand Kongo Jungle as a counterpick, but at the very least Halberd should be added, especially if Delfino is legal.

PlainSimpleGarak

Smash Cadet
Yeah that would help! I'm new to the tourney scene and didn't know the difference between a ban and a strike. *Runs to Google to look it up riiiight now* :p

Edit: When does one make a ban? Is it before or after the strikes are made? Also, who makes the ban?
The winner of each match gets to ban a stage that he doesn't want to get counterpicked to.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Oh! Picking a ban is a second and third match thing. Gotcha.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Hey, because of the monthly that happened this weekend, and the major coming up this weekend there's going to be a break for a week. Hope to see you all again in March!

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I'll be there! :)

Edit: The tourney is starting at 6 this time? When does the venue open?

Last edited:

Nick Marks

Smash Rookie
Whats up guys. I'm fairly new to the smash community and i'm excited to attend tomorrows Project M tourney (my first tournament haha). I will be traveling from Danbury, CT to bring some hype to this! Im looking forward to meeting new people and to have a great time. See you guys tomorrow!

-Nick

Mva04

Smash Rookie
Hey, Im interested in coming out to the tourney tomorrow. Just wanted to make sure it was happening and the times were correct. Venue opens at 5 EST and Sm4sh starts at 7 EST? any help would be great thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom