• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco's Recovery Freezing the Game

mimgrim

Smash Hero
So I've had a problem with edge guarding Falco's Up Special. If I try to edge guard it from on-stage with something like Roy's or Tink's Fsmash on his way back to the edge and I'm able to hit him the game simply freezes with that annoying noise that won't go out till turned off. I've also had a few time where going after him off stage while in the Up Special animation froze the game. I figured this might have been a problem with my files specifically so I formatted the SD and re-downloaded but it was still there.

Shockbound

Smash Apprentice
It could be a problem with the card itself. Try using a different one if available.

If not available, take a look at the card. There may be a "lock" switch on it. Make sure that it is unlocked, format it, and redownload the files. Provided you have no custom content and use it while in the unlocked position, it should work just fine. I had a similar freezing problem when I first tried to play PM and thought it was a disc problem.

Also verify that the maximum capacity for your card is 2 GB or fewer, the website specifies this on the download page. I'm not sure what the effects of doing otherwise are, but you should probably make sure this isn't the source of the problem either.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Card is def 2 GB or lower. Card is unlocked. Don't have access to a different card. The card is pretty old and beat up though and I do probably need a new one, but won't be able to get one till around Christmas.

Shockbound

Smash Apprentice
My lock-freeze problem seemed to happen at random whenever I got past the "READY TO FIGHT!" screen, so I had a feeling that it wasn't the same cause as yours due to the very specific scenario that you've described. I assume you are using the Hackless method, which is what I used. I'm not too certain as to what role the SD card plays in the Homebrew version, so what I advise might not hold up if you're using that method instead.

I'm assuming it doesn't matter who knocks Falco out of his Side-B, just that the freeze initiates when the move is interrupted. Let me know if this isn't the case.

First though, check to see if Fox's Side-B produces the same effect. They're identical for all intents and purposes, so if it's just Falco, it is probably an issue with Falco's moveset data and within your SD card after all. If they both end up crashing, it might actually be a problem with the disc. Boot up regular Brawl and test to see if you can replicate it there too with either character. Test Wolf's blink-strike thing too to see if it's specifically an issue with all sorts of 'rush' attacks.

If it's happening in your normal Brawl game, then take a look at the disc and examine it for scratches or anything else that would otherwise obstruct the readability of the disc. This could be a scratch so tiny that it could be borderline invisible judging by how specific the crash is. If you have a friend with a Brawl disc, ask to borrow it to see if it works there as opposed to your original disc to rule out any possibility of a blemish completely invisible to the naked eye.

If all of this still fails to identify the problem, it really just might be your old beat up card. This is what I suspect to be the case, so prepare to find yourself a new one soon.

Serge+

Smash Rookie
My game tends to freeze usually when Falco does his up-b too. At the moment of freeze, the smoke effevts are all squares. This just happened to me while I was using Tlink, in an alternate costume, if that helps. The falco had his alt too, if that helps confirm anything just a bit

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Aside from SJS' character select screen and portraits and my own music, yea it's all default. It hadn't happened for a while since I formatted the SD card last time. But yesterday at a Smashfest it happened again, along with music problems. It also freezed randomly in a DDD vs Roy match on BF when one of them got KO'd, but it was also epic when it happen because I had to go and they were still playing, I told them before they started the match that I had to go but I was ignored and not soon after that it froze like the game had a mind of it's own. Since formatting it again the problems haven't occurred but this seems to only be a temporary fix. I think it's just a problem with the SD card tbh. Hoping to get a new one for Christmas.

Narpas_sword

Aside from SJS' character select screen and portraits and my own music, yea it's all default. It hadn't happened for a while since I formatted the SD card last time. But yesterday at a Smashfest it happened again, along with music problems. It also freezed randomly in a DDD vs Roy match on BF when one of them got KO'd, but it was also epic when it happen because I had to go and they were still playing, I told them before they started the match that I had to go but I was ignored and not soon after that it froze like the game had a mind of it's own. Since formatting it again the problems haven't occurred but this seems to only be a temporary fix. I think it's just a problem with the SD card tbh. Hoping to get a new one for Christmas.
it doesnt matter what you mod, its a mod.

see it it happens with default build

Top Bottom