• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon's Ledge Grab Options

SoapSuds

Smash Apprentice
Understanding this post:

In this post I will be using numbers gathered from magus's Physics, Input, etc. Display in Develop Mode codes. I will use the top-n view to view my position on the stage, the character velocity, and the stick position. Knowing Falcon's velocity values will help put all the information in this guide into context, but if you haven't played around with this physics display it is unlikely that you are familiar with them. All of these values are in Units per Frame. Here are some important values to know: Run Velocity: 2.27u/f, First Frame of Wave dash: 2.67u/f, Fastwalk: .84u/f, Regular Friction: .08u/f, Wavedash Friction / crouch friction: .16u/f.

Additionally, some additional frame data will be good to know. First frame Falcon can pivot out of dash: Frame 4, first frame Falcon can dash/pivot out of crouch: Frame 7, First frame Falcon can act out of WD: Frame 10.

The Theory Part
This is the theory part, so for all of the “drops” I'll do I won't actually fall off the stage, I'll just gather numbers for how fast Falcon went at the start of the pivot, and how far he went.

Now I think we're good to dive in.

Regular PC Drop (with fox)

Fox's walk fast is really fast, something around 1.58u/f. And his friction is the same as falcon's .08u/f. This lets him go a really long way when pivoting out of walk. Velocity: 1.5u/f, Distance 13.3u

Falcon's Dash Pivot Drop

Doing a pivot during a dash has a huge speed penalty, when dashing at full speed (2.27u/f) he drops to .47u/f on the first frame of pivot. This is why it's important to find other times to pivot, because those don't come with the speed drop. Velocity .47u/f, Distance 1.24u. !!Less distance than a frame of full speed dash/run, that makes this work on one frame only and only with lucky positioning!!

Falcon's Fast Walk Pivot

I might as well test this out since it's how other characters do it. Falcon's walk is really slow, especially when compared to his run speed, but it does accerlate quckly. Velocity .76 Distance 3.23

Falcon's Crouch Pivot (Soap's Drop? Cactus Drop?)

This is something I though to try after gravy showed that you can pivot straight out of crouch.

Velocity .83, Distance 3.9

Falcon's Wave Dash Pivot

Also didn't know about this. Note that it takes me a long time to get the WD angle, and that the velocity is reliant on getting a good angle. If you don't pivot before the ledge you go into ottoto, or the ledge cancel animation.

Veloctiy 1.07 Distance 4.81

Falcon's Jump pivot

I actually didn't know about this one until today. Note that I'm holding forward during jumpsquat until right after I land, ensuring that I have the maximum possible jump velocity

Velocity 1.15, Distance 5.72

Now that we know all (any other ideas you guys have?) of the PC drop ledgegrabs falcon has it would be cool if we could compare the speeds of all of them, and compare that to some other ledgegrabs, like moonwalk on the ledge, and pivot wd back.

The Applied Part

In the following video I did just that! :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eglCoDrzWTE

Dash WD pivot: 41

Soap's drop: 41

Run Crouch Pivot WD: 42

Dash Pivot WD: 43

Jump pivot: 45

Moonwalk jump: 62

Fastwalk pivot: 65

Moonwalk Moonwalk: 66

Last edited:

EZPZ

Smash Apprentice
Good stuff. Soaps drop looks really efficient, but how practical do you think it is to rely on as a consistent option?

SoapSuds

Smash Apprentice
I think that the Pivot WD ones are the best in terms of real time application. While still hard, they have much larger execution windows than any of the PC drops and are still very fast. I think someone might start soaps dropping after getting really good at pivot WD out of crouch because they are very similar in terms of tech skill, soaps drop is just harder to space.

Top Bottom