• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco Trials - by Hell

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Introduction

Hi, my name is David and I'm from peru, as a smasher I'm known as Hell in my country, I've been playing the game since it came out but I started playing it seriously since 2006. I spent a lot of time practicing and perfecting my skills as a fox player at first, I was able to beat most players here and I always placed top 3 at the few tournaments that took place in my country. I had very nice tech skills but I still lacked the mindset and game analysis to be considered the best player in my country. Here's a video that you can watch to have an idea how my fox was back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdk46L4Otto

But it wasn't until late 2008 that I started playing a pretty solid falco, Back then I got very inspired by many great falco players like dashizwiz, lambchops, forward, zhu and even old school ones like PC chris and the all time favorite bomb soldier from japan. I'm just saying this so you can get and idea about how I play falco, I've matured a lot as player through all of these years though. Here's a video of my falco back then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS3Mqxxtdh8

The marth player was a friend of mine who was starting playing against hight skilled players, he got really good later on 2009, he was capable of beating me. Feel free to checkout any videos of my falco, just type: "oskurito hell falco" on youtube's search box, there are quite a lot of videos of my falco against a variety of characters.

I haven't been able to play the game regularly for more than a year now, I lost the game cd (it got damaged) but I recently bought a new one. I still feel the need to play some smash after all these years, I think a lot of people got inspired as well because of the latest tournaments that have been done in the U.S

So, I decided to make a series of videos seeing that there are still some new players aspiring to become good at the game, if I had these kind of videos just when I started playing I would have mastered falco so much faster...

I don't know how many videos I'll make from now on, I will probably make 4 or 5 volumes of these falco trials, then maybe a similar series of videos for fox, then a techskill video and maybe a general techskill trial video as well.

EDIT:
I plan on making more videos and more often, I'm going to buy a good TV so I can record stuff almost everyday, and upload many videos more often (not just tutorials). I also plan on making the scene grow on my country, I'm willing to play and teach anybody who's interested. Right now I'm working on the next video, I have a full time job but I still have time to record at least 1 hour a day, today was a very busy day though! (11th August).

Also, I would really appreciate it if you guys can support my new channel: The Melee.pe TV by subscribing on youtube and liking it on facebook.

Thanks to all viewers!

Lastly, without further adieu I present you the Falco technique trials videos:

Videos

Vol.1 Falco Laser tricks:
http://youtu.be/oyFVzE6qr_0
Covers: Basic falco laser tricks.
Technical skill Requeriments: Short hop.

Coming soon:
Vol.2 Falco Mobility tricks.
http://youtu.be/HH8FYFUDJhY
Covers: dash dancing, wavedashing, moving on platforms, forward B tricks, how to get to the ledge.
Technical skill Requirements: Short hop.

Vol.3 Falco combos.
http://youtu.be/_pFXEncuwME
Covers: short hopping, shfflc, waveshining, pillaring, platform combos, juggling, shield pressure, multishining;
Technical skill Requeriments: Better watch Vol1 and 2 before.

Vol.4 Falco recovery tricks.
http://youtu.be/9VoQPTZYA68
Covers: DI, SDI, Double stick DI, CC, Survival/Combo DI, surviving some common gimps.
Technical skill Requeriments: Teching.

Vol.5 Falco match up tricks.

If you guys have more ideas, topics and whatnot that you wish me to cover on my videos feel free to write a comment bellow.

Cya, and don't forget to click the like button on the videos if you enjoyed them and subscribe for more!

Inspiration:
I got inspired by a series of video tutorials made by a guy called Dirty Soda on youtube for the videogame dota, the editing and songs are almost the same. Also, I didn't put much thought into it but just decided to name it falco trials, just because I saw some other trial guides for falcon/marth/sheik made by a guy called TheLittleEngland on youtube.

Last edited:

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Glad it was helpful, don't forget to share with your other fellow falco players that may need help. I'm recording the next one today but editing it and uploading it takes some time so I think I'll have it on youtube on sunday.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Glad to hear that! I think the variation I showed in the video is very helpful against peaches that try to float in between your short hop and full jump / double jump range. Same thing may happen against puff who will most likely float around spaming bairs and whatnot.

However, to be honest I would most likely pick fox against puff since I feel that I can rack up damage faster with his laser and kill somewhat early due to his great vertical power. It is not that falco can't do the same thing, his upsmash is a viable choice to kill puff as well, it just takes more damage to kill, but it seems to me that fox is a more reliable choice because of his recovery and high vertical power.

I've recorded some stuff for the next video yesterday but I still feel I can show more, I just need to sit down and remember everything I know about how to move around the stages, certain tricks of an specific stage, various ways of moving around the platforms or getting to the ledge, also the editing takes sometime as well, but I'm sure I will have this week hopefully before Friday.

I will be covering basic stuff as well, how to dash dance and wavedash, I like to that so you can still learn if you happen to be a complete begginer or just haven't mastered those fully yet.

I will also make basic match up tricks and tips that you should now to play against the most common characters: Marth, Fox, Sheik, Peach, C. Falcon, Puff, and maybe some other more (these are just what I have in mind right now).

Remember that you can ask me about any technique that you wish me to cover on my videos.

Thank you all for taking the time to watch my videos, I know is not much but still I feel I have to thank those who watched my videos.

pkblaze

Smash Apprentice
Other matchups you may want to cover: Falco Dittos, Samus, ICs, Weegee. Falco dittos are obviously "who does X better?" but I think it would be helpful, atleast for me, to understand what X entails. The others I listed are what I think are the more common mid tier mains. ICs is more of an uncommon high tier than a common low tier, but I think the basic premise holds.

Of course, those would probably extend the matchup tricks volume significantly, so you may want to either make it a part A, part B thing, or just do another seperate video for uncommon matchup tricks.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Yes I sure will cover falco and samus as well, one of my friends plays the best samus here. Not sure how well I can cover ICs though, I have very little experience against them, Weegee? did you meant Luigi? If yes then, sure, I play a funny luigi myself and some of my friends use to play decent luigis. Uncommon match ups seems like a good idea for a small section on the video (or maybe another small video if the 1st one gets too long).

Let me warn you though, that I will take my time for the 2nd video, I'll probably finish it by this week but the 3rd video (the match up one) may take a little while because I need to get somebody (hopefully one of my friends that actually plays decently enough) to help me with the video, and due to work and other stuff they may not be always avaible, but I'm thinking I should be able to finish the falco videos by the end of march.

If you have more questions about match ups you can get in the match ups thread here on this forum. You can PM me if you really want my personal own unbiased opinion about a certain match up, as I'm always willing to help but since specific match ups is not the topic on this thread I rather discuss that elsewhere.

Last edited:

pkblaze

Smash Apprentice
Let me warn you though, that I will take my time for the 2nd video, I'll probably finish it by this week but the 3rd video (the match up one) may take a little while because I need to get somebody (hopefully one of my friends that actually plays decently enough) to help me with the video, and due to work and other stuff they may not be always avaible, but I'm thinking I should be able to finish the falco videos by the end of march..

Cool. Yeah, I feel that movement and combos should come before matchups anyways.

Also, thank you for doing this. It'll be nice to have a cohesive video reference for newbie falco stuff.

Splice

Smash Hero
Hey man thanks for the lazer tutorial, certainly the weakest part of my game. Gonna get all these memorised and consistent this week :)

If the rest of your tutorials help me this much than you are amazing <3

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Thank you for the feedback guys, and don't worry, I'll be finishing all the videos for sure. Today I recorded much of the footage I need for the 2nd video, I will be editing it today so it should be ready for tomorrow.

Berble

Smash Apprentice
Nice stuff with the phantasm in ep2. Will you cover options from getting up from the ledge in any of these episodes cause I'm pretty weak in that aspect

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Yes, I'll cover that in recovery tricks!

I'll give you some ideas you can use: wavedash into the stage, drop short hoped double laser, drop wall jump to forward B, shine to fire bird stall (to bait an attack) or forward B stall.

Berble

Smash Apprentice
Thanks I've mostly just been doing aerials from the edge which gets punished pretty easily so I'll try these.

pkblaze

Smash Apprentice
This is good **** dude.

I think the most useful things for me were actually the basics. Seeing how long Falco's Dashdance can get, and seeing the "surf" wavedashing being used. It that faster than his dash?

Splice

Smash Hero
Once again thanks Oskurito! I'm fluent in this part of the game but some of the things you during the tech-skill montage are good ideas for practicing. The movement from one edge to the other on PS is something I'll use as a training drill from now on. Awesome stuff!

Thanks I've mostly just been doing aerials from the edge which gets punished pretty easily so I'll try these.
If you use drop->wall jump->SideB and your opponent starts calling you on it, you can just start doing the wall jump and going back to the edge to try to bait them into doing a move onstage. Nothing works every time.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Thanks, glad you liked the video and found it useful.

And yeah, you always want to mix up your recovery, otherwise your opponent may easily read it and punish you.

SlimStealthy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3754-6831-7372
loving these tutorials man. especially this last one, movements a really lacking part of my game. i will gladly watch and like all these vids :D

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Thanks, I really appreciate it when people find my stuff helpful, thanks to you and everybody else that viewed/liked the videos, it makes me feel motivated to keep making them and finish this series for sure.

Next video is probably going to take a little longer (and be longer also) than the first 2 because I need somebody else to help me with DI so I can show you different ways to follow up, tech chase, reset, edgeguard setup and .... omg too much stuff xD

I edited the first post and added a section to explain what else inspired me to make this videos.

Last edited:

SlimStealthy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3754-6831-7372
oh for sure dude. the vids are very helpful, especially feeling like i have endless things to learn as a newer player. really looking forward to the next one

Oskurito

Smash Lord
falco can reach side platforms from a fullhop on the ledge on yoshis and battlefield. works pretty well as a mix up
Yes, this works on FoD too (if the platform doesn't move to high), I think I'm going to cover this on the next video, I want to mix lots of stuff on it like recovery. The name is going to change for sure, I'll edit later when I have a good idea for the name.

And for the final video, I'm going to see if I can contact the guys from the match ups thread to include the video in it as a reference.

Last edited:

Oskurito

Smash Lord
I'm sorry, this week I managed to record almost everything I need to make the third video. However, this month I got a lot of stuff to do, web site job is coming and I have to study for my classes too. Hopefully I'll upload the video this weekend. The 4th one though... I really want to get someone to help me here, there are good players but problem is, they kind of live far away from me or they're just lazy to come or busy with work and whatnot, so I don't know when I'm going to be finishing the 4th video. Anyway, thanks for checking in.

Splice

Smash Hero
It's great to hear you've been able to make progress!

Regarding the fourth video, is it possible for you to play someone online with the Dolphin emulator to simulate the scenarios you want to showcase?

Oskurito

Smash Lord
That's a negative, I can't get to run the emu at 100% imagine how it'll run with internet interaction + recording at the sametime, it'll be too sluggish, sry.

Splice

Smash Hero
That's a negative, I can't get to run the emu at 100% imagine how it'll run with internet interaction + recording at the sametime, it'll be too sluggish, sry.
Ah bad luck man. Just a suggestion, good luck with the vids :)

Bones0

Smash Legend
Finally got around to watching these. Love your music choices for these. Definitely going to referring people when they ask about stuff, so keep it up.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Thank you! I'm very busy right now, but I'll do my best and try to get the video for this weekend, I don't want to make any false promises if something goes wrong I might delay the upload a bit (I'll update this thread).

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Dude there are tons and tons of ways to combo people, I just forgot to mention the jab for example, I don't think I can cover it all in one video xD I just tryed my best to cover the most used and basic/useful combos/follow ups.

But of course you can combo with weak nair at high %s, but in that case I think fair is a better choice. You can chain fairs more consistently than weak nairs, at least in my opinion. You can also combo people with shlc (short hoped l-canceled) fairs (you don't fast fall it so that you get the 2 hits). I was messing around in my recording session and I got like 3 fairs into a dair against yoshi and killed him, sick, too bad I wasn't recording! Also, I got like 12 jc shines super fast out of nowhere lol

There's a lot of stuff I can show, sometimes when I sit down to play I don't remember everything that I want to record, for this video I made a list with stuff separated in sections and whatnot so that I wasn't going to forget something when I sat down to play and record. But still.. there's so much stuff...

ssbHex

Smash Apprentice
Man, I love these videos. Thanks a lot. Absolutely can't wait for the Matchups one. DI will be helpful too. Without rushing you, when can we expect these?

Berble

Smash Apprentice
Combo video helped a lot Oskurito thanks! For the double aerials on a platform do I hold down and slightly forward on my fast fall to do it properly?

Last edited:

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Combo video helped a lot Oskurito thanks! For the double aerials on a platform do I hold down and slightly forward on my fast fall to do it properly? Thanks
I hold down and forward, tap to drop and use the c-stick to do all the dairs. Walking is the action that cancels the platform landing lag so you can drop quickly, holding a little forward and then tapping down does the trick, but if you're having problems to fast fall after the drop then try to imagine that you are doing another shufflc aerial but without jumping.

On a side note, work on your dash dance, is the best thing you can do for improving spacing and movement, also your thumb gets used to quick motions and you're less likely to miss dashing shfflc aerials when you're comboing.

Overall, don't look for a certain type of combo or chain, make your moves flow and the good combos will come, with time you'll make the better move choices.

Man, I love these videos. Thanks a lot. Absolutely can't wait for the Matchups one. DI will be helpful too. Without rushing you, when can we expect these?
The 4th video will be DI, teching and recovery, but I'll just name it recovery... is hard to tell when it'll be finished since I need my brother to help me. Oh btw he helped me in this video but the footage was recorded like a month ago, he did the DI for marth and fox, he's not even serious about smash, yet he learned how to DI in a day LOL

The match ups video is kinda of a project idea that I have, I wont be able to play with a lot of people to cover all the characters so I was thinking about using the latest tournament videos in the USA, ok not the latest maybe from 2012 and up... to present my ideas and concepts, is there some trick that I happen to find on my own or if I can get and teach my brother to do an especific scenario (planned yes, but possible and with actual good DI) then I'll record some stuff myself. The video will be super big lol, I don't know, what do you guys think about this? If I can make such video and contact Dr. Peepee or some other moderator I can get it stickied on the match ups thread, plus this thread for the falco newcomers.

Last edited:

ssbHex

Smash Apprentice
What do you guys think about this?.
I think this is an incredible idea. I would love this video to be made. I need this. haha. Please make it. I think it would be one of the best posts on the Falco boards, period.

itsbme

Game on!
Slippi.gg
BME#828
I'm not a pro player, but I still think this is awesome! It's great to have a foundation for Falco's movement and moves.

Berble

Smash Apprentice
I've been practicing double shines and can do them pretty consistently without hitting anything. However, when I hit a character or their shield I can't do it and it feels like the jump after the shine is delayed a ton. Is there a special timing for multishining on a shield opposed to on nothing?

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Yes, the timing is a bit different when you hit something, I have several ways to practice this, I just list the ones that I use the most:
Shield
1. The most obvious one: get a friend who can shield and get hit for you to practice it.
2. Get a rubber band or something similar, wrap it around the L or R button of the 2nd controller, practice.

Hitting someone (timing is very similar to hitting shields)
3. Plug in another controller and select kirby, make him use his down+B move and hit him.
4. Plug in another controller then activate handicap, choose bowser and put his handicap on 9 and yours in 1, go to FD and hit him with multishines or pillars or w.e you want.
5. You'll need 3 controllers for this, 1st one is you (falco), pick Ice Climbers for the 2nd controller and bowser for the 3rd controller (I just pick bowser because he's big and easier to hit multiple times). Go to FD, and do the freeze glitch with the ice climbers on bowser, because he's completely frozen you can hit him forever and he won't suffer any knockback and will never die.

You can do the Ice Climber Freeze Glitch as follows:
1. Desynch them (simply do a Dodge, hold R/L then tap down)
2. Grab (very quickly after the dodge, if you did it OK nana will grab instead of popo)
3. Side B (again, you have to do it quick, popo will do the side B and nana will use a random throw, most likely f-throw).

If you did it ok, the character that you tossed should be freezed in place (you can still smash DI with the frozen character, that way if you didn't froze him close to the ground you can bring him back)

Splice

Smash Hero
Dude there are tons and tons of ways to combo people, I just forgot to mention the jab for example, I don't think I can cover it all in one video xD I just tryed my best to cover the most used and basic/useful combos/follow ups.
Ah I didn't mean to imply you missed anything, like you said there is too much to cover. It's just something I don't really understand and should've pointed out earlier if I wanted help.
People say you can chain weak Nairs into things against Peach and some other characters, but I've never seen/noticed it happen so I'm not really sure about it and would like to be able to do this.

Top Bottom