• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evo Schedule Released

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
While we knew the game schedule for Evo the times were still a mystery... until now! The official schedule has now been released and Smash players can now see when they'll have to play! As we already knew, Melee will be taking the main stage on Sunday, and is now set to take place after Mortal Kombat X at 1:00 PM.

The real talk of the town currently however is the schedule for Smash for Wii U. With the third highest entry level in all of Evo history, semi-finals are set to start at 8:00 AM on Saturday with the grand finals at to take place at noon.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Twitter is already buzzing as well as Reddit over this decision and it will be interesting to see how things play out in the upcoming days. This author encourages the community to stay civil in discussions and remembers what it is to have two Smash games at Evo.

To keep up with SmashCapps and his writing follow him on Twitter.

Last edited by a moderator:

WarioJim

Smash Apprentice
The Wii U players will need to adjust their body (and normal) clocks for that schedule!

Chilex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chilex
Terrible. I wanted Saturday night finals :(

shaneknows

Smash Rookie
That is pretty ridiculous. It shouldn't matter if there are two smash games or not. The order should strictly be based on interest

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
Eh, still better than Apex.

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
Next weekend Smashers........Next weekend it all goes down!!!!!!! #EVO15

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
Well, smash 4 top 8 are at noon, and that's OK ish. Not really prime time, or what not. However, the late night that leads into the early morning? Brutal.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
So Smash 4 is going until at least 10:00 PM on Friday...and starting back up at 8:00 in the morning the very next day? Did the EVO staff not realize what that could do to the players? Did they not care?

It makes one wonder if they treated their second biggest turnout like an afterthought just because it's the new kid on the block...

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
On the Midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
It was bad enough that we couldn't get both Smashes on Sunday, despite them having the 2nd & 3rd-largest entry numbers. Now we have to put up with Smash 4's Semifinals being first thing on Saturday, and the Finals being BEHIND Killer Instinct and Guilty Gear's? As well as behind Melee's Semifinals?

That's just a slap in the face. A slap in the face to both the players and the viewers. If you're gonna have Smash 4's Finals on Saturday, at least put them after KI's. Personally, I'd place Guity Gear's after KI's and put Smash 4's first on Sunday.

Last edited:

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
I say we take to Mr Wizard's Twitter and politely tweet to him that he should think about moving sm4sh's top 32 to a better time so that players will be better rested for Saturday :)

Last edited:

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
Smash 4 getting shafted. The organiser no doubt thinks it's boring to watch. Don't blame him though because you can get away with camping and playing for time unlike the other big games at EVO.

Basty

Smash Ace
So Smash 4 is going until at least 10:00 PM on Friday...and starting back up at 8:00 in the morning the very next day? Did the EVO staff not realize what that could do to the players? Did they not care?

It makes one wonder if they treated their second biggest turnout like an afterthought just because it's the new kid on the block...
Not actually, they said it didn't matter how much the prize pool and entrants are, just how much hype it will generate. Mr Wizard has probably watched every game and it's tournament, no game was an afterthought

Staticky

Smash Cadet
Really? Grow the f*ck up. That could be a solid 8 hours of sleep with time to warmup. Are people really freakin complaining about this??

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Schedule is awful. If smash 4 isn't going to be on Sunday night then the least they could have done is give it prime time on Saturday. It's like they think people viewing it will be bad for Evo's Brand or something.

TriTails

Smash Lord

10 PM on Friday is like 8 solid hours of sleep and 2 more hours to prepare and go on the next day. What are you talking about?

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
I would start ranting how this really isn't a big deal, but then again..timezone differences and what not if you're not from the general area. Still, just don't party or whatever and push yourself to get a good night sleep.

Last edited:

Laggalot101

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1418-6741-7161
Well, before I said promised something, right? I mean, I think it kinda was known for a while now, but to my understanding, last we heard about the schedule wasn't yet set in stone. But now it is! So on that note...

Congratulations, Melee players! As a Smash 4 player myself, I wholeheartedly congratulate you for taking main stage! Hope Melee will generate some amazing matches when it's on the main stage. I guess you could say, show us your moves!

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever

Are you serious? 10PM to 8AM are 10 hours. That's easily enough.
Dunno about you but I, as most people I know, are used to get up at 6 in the morning.

And I personally don't mind having some space between Sm4sh and Melee.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Are you serious? 10PM to 8AM are 10 hours. That's easily enough.
Dunno about you but I, as most people I know, are used to get up at 6 in the morning.
Almost everyone you know gets up at 6:00 in the morning? What planet are you from? What's it like there? Is your species friendly? o_O

(Note: Surprised, not sarcastic. I know hardly any morning people.)

And while 10 hours might seem like a lot, you also have to factor in travel from the venue to wherever they're staying and then back again in the morning, meals, whatever routines they do before bed and when waking up, and other miscellany, and you realize that's actually one hell of a time crunch for what's supposed to be the biggest fighting game event of the year.

...Unless they cut their sleep to under 7 hours, which'll only hurt them more in the mental game the less they get.

Last edited:

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Almost everyone you know gets up at 6:00 in the morning? What planet are you from? What's it like there? Is your species friendly? o_O

(Note: Surprised, not sarcastic. I know hardly any morning people.)

And while 10 hours might seem like a lot, you also have to factor in travel from the venue to wherever they're staying and then back again in the morning, meals, whatever routines they do before bed and when waking up, and other miscellany, and you realize that's actually one hell of a time crunch for what's supposed to be the biggest fighting game event of the year.
Germany here. I guess this cliché is not too surprising.

I can see that it might be a problem if you have like an hour travel time from wherever you stay to the venue but even then, 2h drive + 30 min to go to bed + 30 min to get up and eat something still leaves you with 7 hours sleep, which should be enough to keep going until 2pm without issues.

TheFlyingCule

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlyingCule
3DS FC
3668-8782-5131
I really hope the players have the energy and mental strength to pull through something that stressful with so little rest. It's really just cruel to do that to them. For the second largest event especially, its disrespectful to do that to anyone, let alone nearly 2000 people.

To the people saying that they could get an easy 8 hours of sleep, you guys really need to understand that they don't just finish up the night before and waltz off to bed. All the players have to leave the venue and get back to wherever they are staying in town, and for many that can be quite far. A lot of them might have to eat too. Then they have to do their activities that they do before sleep, and most notably, not everyone can get to sleep quickly for various reasons, so that can take up time as well. Then they have to wake up, do their morning routine before they return to the venue. Some might also want to practice a little for something they thought of the day before. Doing all that in under 10 hours is stressful, and that stress may also affect their play if possible tiredness doesn't already, especially their mental state

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
As someone who will be there (and who certainly hopes to make it far enough for the day 2 scheduling to be relevant), I'm not really worried about a lack of sleep. There's enough time in-between, and we have to start at 8 AM the day before (everyone does for r1 of pools at some point). You're either going to be sleep adjusted for 8 AM or you're going to be bone tired Friday first; I have non-trivial insomnia issues and can't imagine how 14 hours of smash the day before won't have me tired enough to get right to sleep after Friday finishes up. I feel like the only players who will have a big problem will be the ones who want to do foolish things like go out and drink on Friday night, and I'll be real, I have no sympathy for that kind of irresponsibility.

The stream schedule is kinda disappointing though; I feel that being early on Saturday will really hurt our stream viewership since that's just not a good timeslot. I feel like flipping the Saturday events for Melee and 4 would fix just about everything (Melee players can get up at 8 AM twice in exchange for Sunday finals, we'd still have Wii U finals end right before KI finals begin so no overlap). It's likely too late to change things since EVO is very close and many mechanisms are locked into place. If you're going to advocate for change, I suggest advocating for precisely that change though; it's a lot smaller/simpler and doesn't affect the non-smash games in a serious way. I actually feel like, had it been that way from the start, we'd all have been very happy with the schedule.

Nothing can take away from the fact that we have the second biggest number of entrants of all of the EVO games, that EVO in general was very accommodating toward hosting two smash games (let's be clear; that's a remarkable thing they did not have to do), and they've also been very accommodating toward us in making the ruleset the best they could within their scheduling and contractual limitations. This tournament is still going to be awesome and will still be a great demonstration to the world of how incredible our game is. Nothing about this really blunts my enthusiasm to attend and compete. It's just a bit of a shame that we got a short straw here on the stream time.

Aygent

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ayygent
3DS FC
4570-7961-7152
Second largest overall game at EVO 2015 , biggest number for a smash event ever, and it's getting shafted in time slot for both players and viewers. How the hell are people okay with Killer Instinct appearing to be getting better treatment? Granted it's amazing EVO is even doing 2 smash games. But seriously? This is already pissed a lot of smash 4 fans off. Agree or disagree, you cannot deny that alot of people are somewhat upset with it.

Aurora Sparkle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aurora-Sparkle
The biggest issue I foresee right now TBH, is that with 2000 Entrants, and a Semis + Finals that takes place before Melee's semi's- I wouldn't be surprised if Sm4sh ends up going OVER the time slot. -and if that happens, we'll probably see a repeat of disrespectful crowd chanting for Sm4sh to finish so that the "real game can start".
If that happens again it's really going to make me a sad panda. It was bad enough at APEX.
Hopefully it doesn't happen and Smash 4 can finish in time before the Melee crowd starts to get antsy.

I wish the Smash community could all just support each other instead of trying to squash each other all the time. Hopefully the bad viewership slots and kind of crummy treatment at this EVO won't hurt Sm4sh's growth.

MEnKIRBZ

Smash Journeyman
The biggest issue I foresee right now TBH, is that with 2000 Entrants, and a Semis + Finals that takes place before Melee's semi's- I wouldn't be surprised if Sm4sh ends up going OVER the time slot. -and if that happens, we'll probably see a repeat of disrespectful crowd chanting for Sm4sh to finish so that the "real game can start".
If that happens again it's really going to make me a sad panda. It was bad enough at APEX.
Hopefully it doesn't happen and Smash 4 can finish in time before the Melee crowd starts to get antsy.

I wish the Smash community could all just support each other instead of trying to squash each other all the time. Hopefully the bad viewership slots and kind of crummy treatment at this EVO won't hurt Sm4sh's growth.
If melee wasn't the super successful competitive game that it is today, sm4sh wouldn't even be going to evo, so quit whining when people get upset over sm4sh taking too much time

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
If melee wasn't the super successful competitive game that it is today, sm4sh wouldn't even be going to evo, so quit whining when people get upset over sm4sh taking too much time
Ah, a Melee elitist setting a good example of himself and his community, ladies and gents. Certainly a paragon of good sportsmanship and mutual respect.

Last edited:

MEnKIRBZ

Smash Journeyman
Ah, a Melee elitist setting a good example of himself and his community, ladies and gents. Certainly a paragon of good sportsmanship and mutual respect.
Nice ad hominem. You can attack me all you want, but you know I'm right.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Probably won't be able to watch smash Wii U finals, but pools and quarter finals are fine I guess, along with Street Fighter finals, since those are the only two games I'm interested in.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Nice ad hominem. You can attack me all you want, but you know I'm right.
Oh, you meant about the part where you believe you are entitled to disrespect the players from the other Smash games because of Melee's role in the EVO?
I wasn't questioning Melee's importance and influence, fyi, but the fact that you think it is ok to behave in a poor manner because it is somehow owed to you. Toxic player ahoy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom