• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVO Pools Draft, Tenative Sunday Schedule Released

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer

The team behind creating the pools assignments for EVO have officially released the first draft of pools for all games. Organized by day and time slot, the website hosting the pools can be found here. If the point-and-click adventure approach to finding pools isn't interesting, there is a player search function here. The player search function can find players via their real names or their tags.

It's important to note that these pools are not final. If there are concerns with any pools, there is a "Send Feedback" button at the bottom right-hand corner of each individual pool which players can use to voice these concerns, though Melee It On Me member Tafo tweeted earlier today that they were working on creating a master list of seeding concerns for Melee.

Additionally, Joey "Mr. Wizard" Cuellar, a founding member of the EVO Championship Series, confirmed on twitter today that Melee top 8 would be taking a spot on Finals Sunday, just before Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
While this means that Smash 4 top 8 will be taking place on Saturday, keep in mind that Smash 4 finals will still be taking place on the main stage, so the scheduling will not affect the importance of the finals.

---
DtJ Composer is happy that Smash gets two finals on the Main Stage; the day that finals happens isn't important to him. You can find him on twitter @Th3Composer

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
quick guys let's spam pools feedback
I don't know the difference for Saturday vs. Sunday, but I'm glad both games are getting main stage.

Last edited:

iDreamTheater

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iDreamTheater
3DS FC
5472-7184-0561
Then there should be no reason to use derogatory names about another smash game, eh?

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
Can anyone familiar with EVO tell me the difference between a game being streamed on Saturday versus it being streamed on Sunday?

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it

>smash 4 is trash 4
>smash 4 is 2slow4me
>not an elitist

plz

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Can anyone familiar with EVO tell me the difference between a game being streamed on Saturday versus it being streamed on Sunday?
the only differences is viewer numbers most likely

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Some believe there is an objective nature to game design, and that certain designs are objectively superior.
On to something else, then. EVO is going to be great! :D
I hear there's a PM side tourney with the help of Coastward that already has quite a few entrants :O

when's mahvel
http://www.whensmarvel.com/

Last edited:

4nonymous

Banned via Warnings
Let's all pretend that's what I said, then you can be right.
It's just what you said is flawed. He could be a fan of PM Brawl 64 and Melee, but just not like Smash 4. You don't know what he plays nor what he likes and you have the gall to call him an elitist.

4nonymous

Banned via Warnings
Well, le maymay arrows still don't serve a purpose on Smashboards, but at least you actually made it green.
not to go off topic but thats not a meme, its just a text feature on 4chan that people adapted to using

GeneralBrwni

Smash Cadet
YYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS Melee finisheson Sunday. And no I'm not an elitist I jut thin smash 4 is trash 4.

Only melee is on the main stage.
"While this means that Smash 4 top 8 will be taking place on Saturday, keep in mind that Smash 4 finals will still be taking place on the main stage"
Also it sounds a lot like you're saying "I'm not an elitist, but my game is elite and yours isn't."

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
"Elitist: adjective. (of a person or class of persons) considered superior by others or by themselves, as in intellect, talent, power, wealth, or position in society."
We can readily see that whether someone is an elitist or not depends ENTIRELY on their intention, their views of themselves, and absolutely nothing else. If, indeed, the gentleman that posted above believes that he is superior for his taste in games, the moniker is accurate. If not, well, he's not an elitist.

Last edited:

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
"While this means that Smash 4 top 8 will be taking place on Saturday, keep in mind that Smash 4 finals will still be taking place on the main stage"
Also it sounds a lot like you're saying "I'm not an elitist, but my game is elite and yours isn't."
Not really. He never even said that Melee was his favorite game (It probably is though). You're just assuming so because he called Smash 4 bad. For all we know, he could be a Brawl player.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
1. Smash 4 is trash because it is in no way competitive, melee was competitive with more thought and tech, which leads me to
2. Project M is the best smash game. Melee was accidentally competitive, while PM was made to be competitive.
3. I do play Brawl, Melee, PM, and 64. I hate smash 4's community the most. Anyone who says anything about their "precious game" gets the boot. I'm sick of it.
1. Hyperbole aside, we must acknowledge Smash 4 has at least some degree of competitiveness, however small. Also, prepare for the "competitiveness depends entirely on the community and has nothing to do with a game's design" argument.
2. While I may agree to Project M being generally superior in this regard, Melee was certainly not an accident. Read these two awesome articles: http://smashfts.com/2015/02/09/melee-is-an-accident-i-disagree/ and http://killscreendaily.com/articles/melee-masterpiece-melee-demon/ (I realized the second link doesn't really fit what I said, but it's an awesome article nonetheless :D)
3. There is no need to hate any person or groups of people. Hate the principle, not the wrongdoer. But, you are accurate in that Political Correctness runs free in the way of "you are not allowed to say something bad about x Smash game."

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
not to go off topic but thats not a meme, its just a text feature on 4chan that people adapted to using
I'm aware of that. A bunch of people have started trying to use it outside of the *chans lately, and we deride them by calling it "meme arrows". Trying to greentext outside of the *chans almost as dumb as trying to use hashtags on Facebook. It serves a defined purpose in the medium it got popular in, but trying to use it outside of that medium to look "cool" or "hip" just makes you look technologically illiterate at best.

NNID
MasterIcarus7
1. Hyperbole aside, we must acknowledge Smash 4 has at least some degree of competitiveness, however small. Also, prepare for the "competitiveness depends entirely on the community and has nothing to do with a game's design" argument.
2. While I may agree to Project M being generally superior in this regard, Melee was certainly not an accident. Read these two awesome articles: http://smashfts.com/2015/02/09/melee-is-an-accident-i-disagree/ and http://killscreendaily.com/articles/melee-masterpiece-melee-demon/
3. There is no need to hate any person or groups of people. Hate the principle, not the wrongdoer. But, you are accurate in that Political Correctness runs free in the way of "you are not allowed to say something bad about x Smash game."
While yes, you are correct in melee not being accidentally competitive, most of the features, (such as wavedashing), were only left in due to time restraints.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
While yes, you are correct in melee not being accidentally competitive, most of the features, (such as wavedashing), were only left in due to time restraints.
Sakurai stated "Of course we knew about it during testing" and that the consideration was "whether it would hurt anything if left in" so, they left it in. It's a bit more subtle than such a singular reason. Indeed, developers may embrace emergent gameplay they did not realize they created. The guys who create EVE online are an excellent example of this. In this case, it seems as if Sakurai viewed the mechanic neutrally, thus there's no guarantee beyond reasonable doubt it would have been taken out had there been more time.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
I'm looking forward to watching Evo for the first time. Both Melee and Smash 4 getting the main stage is a nice treat for both communities.

ShortcutButton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShortcutButton
I'm legitimately surprised Melee is on sunday. Shows that Nintendo isn't stepping in to do anything at EVO. If they had sm4sh would be here.

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
I'm legitimately surprised Melee is on sunday. Shows that Nintendo isn't stepping in to do anything at EVO. If they had sm4sh would be here.
Melee has worked to get to EVO. It raised $90k just to get to EVO 2013 and did well enough to get to EVO 2014, and now EVO 2015. Smash 4 hasn't done anything yet that even deserves a spot at EVO. Maybe next year.

Mr.ケイ

Smash Apprentice
My reasoning for everything I have previously said is this:
1. Smash 4 is trash because it is in no way competitive, the engine is worse n brawl's(yes, worse). Melee was competitive with more thought and tech, which leads me to
2. Project M is the best smash game. Melee was accidentally competitive, while PM was made to be competitive.
3. I do play Brawl, Melee, PM, and 64. I hate smash 4's community the most. Anyone who says anything about their "precious game" gets the boot. I'm sick of it.
It's fine and dandy to have your own opinion, I can even respect it regardless of how different you feel about each Smash game. But do not use degrading language like calling Sm4sh trash. It is due to these kinds of responses that there exists such tension between the Melee and Sm4sh sub-communities. If you're sick of the how Sm4sh players retaliating against insults to their "precious game," don't give them a reason TO retaliate. Don't point out the twig in someone's eye when you have a plank in your own.

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
I'm looking forward to watching Evo for the first time. Both Melee and Smash 4 getting the main stage is a nice treat for both communities.
Having Smash 4 on the main stage helps compensate for it not finishing on Sunday. That's good.

busken

Smash Ace
My reasoning for everything I have previously said is this:
1. Smash 4 is trash because it is in no way competitive, the engine is worse n brawl's(yes, worse). Melee was competitive with more thought and tech, which leads me to
I respect all of your opinions, but your first statement is false. Smash 4 is competitive and if you look at all the youtube channels, tournaments, streams, etc you would see nothing but success. My Smash Corner got 30,000 subscribers in only 3 months off of just smash 4 content. Whether Smash 4 will succeed like melee is a question of time, but as of now 1900+ EVO entrants proves a thriving competitive game.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Don't be surprised. Nintendo, as well as EVO, are concerned with community backlash. It could lose them much more than they gain by usurping what many see as Melee's 'rightful place' as the primary competitive Smash game.
I respect all of your opinions, but your first statement is false. Smash 4 is competitive and if you look at all the youtube channels, tournaments, streams, etc you would see nothing but success. My Smash Corner got 30,000 subscribers in only 3 months off of just smash 4 content. Whether Smash 4 will succeed like melee is a question of time, but as of now 1900+ EVO entrants proves a thriving competitive game.
Keep in mind that he did like my response to his post, indicating that he may have changed his mind slightly on this issue.
It's fine and dandy to have your own opinion, I can even respect it regardless of how different you feel about each Smash game. But do not use degrading language like calling Sm4sh trash. It is due to these kinds of responses that there exists such tension between the Melee and Sm4sh sub-communities. If you're sick of the how Sm4sh players retaliating against insults to their "precious game," don't give them a reason TO retaliate. Don't point out the twig in someone's eye when you have a plank in your own.
So, you'd be fine (conceptually speaking) with us saying "Smash 4 is objectively inferior in terms of rich, competitive gameplay design, therefore is not a matter of opinion or preference as to which one is superior"? Not that choosing one over the other somehow indicates a flaw in taste or moral supremacy, mind.

Last edited:

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
youre acting like
Melee has worked to get to EVO. It raised $90k just to get to EVO 2013 and did well enough to get to EVO 2014, and now EVO 2015. Smash 4 hasn't done anything yet that even deserves a spot at EVO. Maybe next year.

brawl community didnt aid in raising that money, majority of those people have now transfered to smash 4. So I competely disagree that the smash 4 community hasnt done anything. If you are referring to the new bloods, then that goes without saying, because theyre new. The smash 4 community isnt some brand new group. just a ton of casuals are trying to be competitive and theyre starting with this iteration.

Top Bottom