• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evo Entrant Numbers Finalized: Smash 4: 1926 - Melee: 1869

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

Smash fans were all waiting on the edge of their seats to see what the final entry numbers would be for Smash at Evo 2015 and they would not be disappointed. Both Smash games were in the top 3 games with most entrants and the crossover entering both events was not overly large meaning there will be an abundance of Smash players at the event!

The official numbers? Melee boasted a stunning 1869 entrants and Smash 4 a whopping 1926! There are only 516 entering both events, so the crossover is rather minimal.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

So how did we compare to the other fighters at Evo this year? Mr. Wizard gave us all the signups as well in a Tweet:

Game Entries At Evo 2015

Street Fighter 4 Ultra - 2227
Smash 4 - 1926
Melee - 1869
Mortal Kombat X - 1162
Guilty Gear - 968
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 - 816
Tekken 7 - 458
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax - 437
Killer Instinct - 397​

Brackets have even popped up for the event but with "DRAFT posted all over their backs and Mr. Wizard himself warning they are in no way official yet they are more of a curiosity to watch and cross fingers over for now. If this doesn't have fans Smash excited for Evo 2015 nothing will! Be sure to get excited in the comments below and get aboard that hype train to Evo 2015!

SmashCapps is now jittery with excitement that he'll be able to report the news live at Evo for Smashboards! To share in his excitement be sure to follow him on Twitter.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
Great to see this type numbers for both smash games in general. Hope people don't turn this into some type of circle jerking. Smash is making waves.

Chawinyaw

Smash Cadet
Interesting that Smash 4 has more entrants, most likely due approachability

Caterpillor

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5455-9928-7747
"Smash4 and not SSBM: 1141"
I suppose he meant 1410 because 1141 + 516 is not 1926

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Both Smash games take 2nd and 3rd place in the number of attendees this year. This is very exciting news!

And this is the 2nd time that Sm4sh has gotten more attendees than Melee at nationals, though it should be noted that Melee has gotten more viewership during CEO, so the same should be expected at EVO too.

Either way, it's amazing that we have two games being represented at EVO this year, and I hope that this can happen again at EVO 2016.

Last edited:

Railz

Yoshi Master
Smash 4 more than melee? probably due to less complexity in the game, newer players etc. still exciting to see melee get these numbers even after all these years!

Dagon97

Smash Journeyman
And Evil Wizard said that only one smash game would be on the big stage, why? Both smash games are enormous, why have only one on the big stage?

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
Why are people trying to make excuses for Smash 4 having more players than Melee? Who cares which one has more. Sure, maybe it is about approachability, or maybe it should be thought of as the lack of approachability of the other scene. Personally, I play both so that doesn't matter to me which has more. Instead we should be happy that they are both in the top three games this year at EVO. Good for the community as a whole!

poisn

Smash Rookie
And Evil Wizard said that only one smash game would be on the big stage, why? Both smash games are enormous, why have only one on the big stage?
as i much as i would love both smash games on sunday, this is an fgc event and i'm guessing most people watching on sunday would be more interested in more traditional fighters, rather than seeing smash twice

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
That's a lot of people.
Time constraints, resource constraints, etc.

Flambo237

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Flambo237
So he did.

I added it for you though @ LiteralGrill LiteralGrill
Melee is riding off the SM4SH hype that's why it has been getting more entries recently. During the Brawl age this had a negative effect because people thought it was gonna be melee 2.0, so melee died down a little due to the new game and mlg dropping them from the pro circuit, but after pm started getting popular melee kick back up then started at a steady pace again, the same will happen with SM4SH after that melee will too. So stop asking why SM4SH has so many, instead ask the question about melee. I fail to see why people don't get this.Why can't we just be happy for both games, this is SMASHboards after all.

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Melee is riding off the SM4SH hype that's why it has been getting more entries recently. During the Brawl age this had a negative effect because people thought it was gonna be melee 2.0, so melee died down a little due to the new game and mlg dropping them from the pro circuit, but after pm started getting popular melee kick back up then started at a steady pace again, the same will happen with SM4SH after that melee will too. So stop asking why SM4SH has so many, instead ask the question about melee. I fail to see why people don't get this.Why can't we just be happy for both games, this is SMASHboards after all.
That's fine and all, but why did you quote me? I just fixed the entrant numbers for Marvel in the news article lol.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Why are people trying to make excuses for Smash 4 having more players than Melee? Who cares which one has more. Sure, maybe it is about approachability, or maybe it should be thought of as the lack of approachability of the other scene. Personally, I play both so that doesn't matter to me which has more. Instead we should be happy that they are both in the top three games this year at EVO. Good for the community as a whole!
holy hell thank god someone said it

Chawinyaw

Smash Cadet
I think it's very interesting actually. The new Smash game is clearly easier to get into, their is no debate about that. It's easily available due to it being on a new console and also it's tech ceasing is way lower. So, what does this mean for the future of smash in general? More players. Prior to me starting to play Melee competitively, i'd watch videos online and think "Oh, it's not hard to pull any of the stuff that they're doing. I tried to replicate and it turned out HORRIBLY. So I did research, and learned the game, and grew a new love for it. So now let's look at people watching Evo Sm4sh. They'll be able to watch Smash 4, and they'll be able to replicate what they're doing with way less extensive research since there isn't much tech to learn. So said person picks up Smash 4 at a competitive level and then they take an interest in PM or Melee because it was also at evo, and since they were willing to pick up Smash 4, maybe they want more, and thus they pick the games up. I think approachability is a big thing that people underestimate when it comes to Smash. Just think about why you're here. Smash 4 being at Evo will not only grow the smash scene, but it will also increase peoples approachability with the series in general.

More like smash BORE!!!! :T For real tho i like them both, but i hope they put melee on the main stage.
Melee deserves the main stage, but Smash 4 has nintendo's cash. We'll see what wizard decides.

Last edited:

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I love it! This is going to be the best EVO yet... GO SMASH! I am looking at requesting time off just to watch this. I plan on going next year.

Mr.ケイ

Smash Apprentice
Melee deserves the main stage, but Smash 4 has nintendo's cash. We'll see what wizard decides.
I think it's better to put Sm4sh on the main stage. For one, it's the newer game and it has more participants, so it's at the point where we need to give the Sm4sh sub-community the attention they deserve. They've put a lot of effort into growing the popularity of Sm4sh. Secondly, Nintendo is putting a lot of focus into Sm4sh, and we should exceed their level of commitment to this game. Thirdly, to grow the Smash community as a whole. As you said, Sm4sh is much more approachable compared to Melee, but Sm4sh might lead newer players to try out Melee, that means more people as a whole in the community, not just a sub-community (Sm4sh only, Melee only, etc.). I guaranteed that if they gave Sm4sh the main stage, next year's participants will be more than if they went with Melee.

Wreckarooni

Smash Apprentice
HOLY CANOLI !!! I hadn't been keeping up with the count!

I really hope we see some underdogs come out of nowhere and make history. Fresh blood is always awesome to watch.

Chilex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chilex
Melee being outnumbered by sm4sh. Did not see that coming.

2k HERE WE COME!

EDIT: Seeing the numbers for smash reminds me of the time when Brawl caused Melee to die down a bit. Here we are in 2015, where both smash games are represented with an enormous set of participants.

Last edited:

Hunybear

Smash Ace
I think it's better to put Sm4sh on the main stage. For one, it's the newer game and it has more participants, so it's at the point where we need to give the Sm4sh sub-community the attention they deserve. They've put a lot of effort into growing the popularity of Sm4sh. Secondly, Nintendo is putting a lot of focus into Sm4sh, and we should exceed their level of commitment to this game. Thirdly, to grow the Smash community as a whole. As you said, Sm4sh is much more approachable compared to Melee, but Sm4sh might lead newer players to try out Melee, that means more people as a whole in the community, not just a sub-community (Sm4sh only, Melee only, etc.). I guaranteed that if they gave Sm4sh the main stage, next year's participants will be more than if they went with Melee.
I feel that putting smash 4 on the main stage would be marginally more beneficial for the smash community as whole because it is really the only mainstream game played now with lots of approachability. At the same time i think melee should still be on the main stage for the sake of legitimacy.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Thought one was gonna be on Saturday for the stage and one on Sunday?

Oh well no big, but wow we almost beat out street fighter 4.

And wowsa, MvC3s numbers tanked compared to everyone else.

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
Mortal Kombat X has over 1000 entrants! Looks like the hype hasn't died down these past couple of months.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
The Saturday/Sunday thing isn't as bad as people think it is. BOTH are getting to go on the big stage. It's not like they'll be hiding the top players and the game's fanbase in some corner on Saturday. It'll feel exactly the same, just on Saturday.

Either way, I don't care if Smash 4 is Saturday or Sunday, it won't make a difference to me as somebody who very much wants to get on that top 8.

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
No guys you have it all wrong. Sm4sh has more entrants because a very large secret society of professional bountyhunters have entered the tournament, unbeknownst to the EVO staff, to collect the bounty on ZeRo.
:yeahboi: :yeahboi: :yeahboi: :yeahboi: :yeahboi:

Oh well no big, but wow we almost beat out street fighter 4.
Collectively, we did by quite a longshot :) It's just split into 2 flavors of smash.
Melee is riding off the SM4SH hype that's why it has been getting more entries recently.
Sm4sh grew out of Melee hype. Most of the great things that happened to the Sm4sh community stemmed from Melee (I.e. ZeRo). When I saw Sm4sh for the first time I was skeptical and relatively disappointed, however I still raised $300+ to buy a Wii U and its Smash accessories because I'm a big fan of Smash due to Melee and Project M. Sm4sh is great in its own right, but I don't think it's great enough to where we can say that Melee is piggybacking off of it. U feel me?

Last edited:

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
What game is riding off what game? Let's be perfectly clear:

Considering that everywhere Sm4sh is using the same resources that Melee has been using a LONG time, Sm4sh wouldn't be anything but a bunch of "local best" nerds still debating items if it wasn't for the ongoing success of Melee prompting Nintendo's butchered attempt to showcase the competitive community for their new game last year. Melee has just under one hundred fewer entrants and that's without being a new game and without official advertisement, and after Nintendo trying to pull Melee in 2013 and so forth and so forth.

Sm4sh is riding off of Melee.

Last edited:

BiRdZ

Smash Rookie
NNID
Brock722
3DS FC
2535-4775-2786
I don't understand how any smash game is riding each other when they're both so different.

Lysozy

Smash Rookie
Melee is still looking strong! I'm a bit disappointed we didn't get a pot bonus, but! Who knows we might get one out of no where. I'll see you gents at EVO.

9Tales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
9Tales_of_Hoenn
1926 + 1869 - 516 = 3279 > 2227

More people showing up for Smash than for anything else! How cool is that!? They obviously both deserve the stage. I really hope these numbers change that.

Last edited:

Temporary_User

Smash Rookie

Considering that everywhere Sm4sh is using the same resources that Melee has been using a LONG time, Sm4sh wouldn't be anything but a bunch of "local best" nerds still debating items if it wasn't for the ongoing success of Melee prompting Nintendo's butchered attempt to showcase the competitive community for their new game last year. Melee has just under one hundred fewer entrants and that's without being a new game and without official advertisement, and after Nintendo trying to pull Melee in 2013 and so forth and so forth.

Quick guys, we can STILL turn this awesomeness into pointless arguments and ruin it for the BOTH games! I would personally recommend players to diss the respective Smash titles they are not playing, that way we can split the community once again, instead contributing to a common good. There is still hope, remember Brawl!

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
Eh. I really wish there weren't two smash games at EVO. It just seems like a waste since there are also other awesome competitive fighting game communities out there. Honestly? If I had to get rid of one it would be Melee. I personally think the meta was developed long ago and it just isn't that interesting to watch anymore.

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
You people care too much. I'm personally happy both tournaments are so big! I expect a lot of upsets and hell maybe even new faces! I'm amazed of how people here are always trying to go "X is running on Y's back" or "Y is old and X is new, so it's obvious" To that I say... why do we need to care? Do any of the two scenes look like it might dissapear? fade away? stop being heard about? like What IS the big deal? you are bothered by some kids making noise on the internet? You will always have those even if the games stop existing or something! So just stop and enjoy the ride brah, keep on smashing and speak through your inputs on your respective games or both! That way we might actually be able to call ourselves the SMASH community someday.

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071

yeah, it's not like melee got into evo on the dollar of the rest of the smash community (including those who moved onto smash 4) in the first place or anything

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I don't understand how any smash game is riding each other when they're both so different.
neither smash game is riding off either one. it's a symbiotic relationship. melee got into evo against the threat of skullgirls overtaking them in 2013 thanks to the generous boost from the 64 and brawl (mostly now smash 4) community. that's how #oneunit was originally conceived. then melee proved that smash can roll with the FGC big boys, opening the doors to the rest of the series.

the problem is that too many people who got into the community after evo 2013, especially if they play melee, aren't aware that ever happened. they turned their backs on the same communities that supported them, with very few catching onto the short-lived campaign to get brawl back into MLG. the line of thought is that brawl should have been able to support themselves. and now they're coming back to say that the smash 4 community is just riding off of their hard work. as if melee never had any help.

basically, those people were born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple.

Last edited:
Top Bottom